Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a separate Catalonia thread, or is it all in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
There was a GBS thread around.

To anyone I argued with: i thought "GC" meant Gobierno Central, and I'm starting to think it actually means Gobierno Catalan. Every time I mentioned a government, I meant Madrid. Sorry if this created any misunderstanding.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought it meant GaussianCupola. Their opinions match.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

lollontee posted:

I thought it meant GaussianCupola. Their opinions match.

I don't think the Spanish goverment has expressed their desire to murder refugees...yet.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Freezer posted:

I don't think the Spanish goverment has expressed their desire to murder refugees...yet.

They pay Morocco to do that kind of stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elman posted:

Brexit and Trump happened and those were mostly economical reasons supported by nationalist demagogy. Same thing.

That's an apple to orange comparison though. Trump isn't a separatist movement (you could argue he campaigned on isolationism; but separatism and isolationism are still different things) and Brexit is the outcome of 40 years of tabloid propaganda.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

That's an apple to orange comparison though. Trump isn't a separatist movement (you could argue he campaigned on isolationism; but separatism and isolationism are still different things) and Brexit is the outcome of 40 years of tabloid propaganda.

Tabloid propaganda and military psyops.

Links to The Guardian, not to any conspiracy site.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Elman posted:

The only way forward is to hold a proper referendum and negotiate afterwards.

Of course, they should have simply negotiated a proper referendum with an intransigent central government who flatly refuses to negotiate anything that might even hint at giving Catalonia more autonomy! How stupid of Puigdemont & co. not to think of that.

The only thing more ridiculous than the gobierno refusing to negotiate and then acting like it's the generalitat's fault for holding a non-negotiated referendum is that some people are apparently happy to buy wholesale into this argument.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ed02_story.html

there's no :ironicat: big enough

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I hope the EU will stand in solidarity with the defenders of law, justice and order in these troubling times. Maybe countries like Germany and Italy could offer police forces to support the legitimate Spanish government in Madrid to demonstrate to the Catalan people that their supposed leaders are demagogues who led them on a ruinous path out of the EU.

In other news, more and more companies announced that they are leaving Barcelona/Catalonia for Madrid.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Washington Post posted:

The Catalan filmmaker Isabel Coixet said pro-independence authorities have muffled debate.

“We are completely silenced,” she said. “They have created a climate of tension in which anyone who doesn’t agree with them doesn’t exist and is discredited. And, honestly, there are so many people keeping quiet. The biggest problem I see is the double fracture that has been created — the division with Spain and the division between the Catalans.”

Coixet said the “independence narrative” sells well abroad but doesn’t reflect the silent majority at home.

It must be quite shocking for a known left-winger like her to be now called a fascist (of all things) for oposing independence. Also I agree (at least in part) with this.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Did this really happen? LMAO if so

[quote="“ekuNNN”" post="“477053686”"]

[/quote]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Quite frankly if they were named Dogalonia instead of Catalonia they would have the full backing of the international sphere.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Barcelona gets sacked and its treasures are laid at the feet of the King in front of his palace in Madrid.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobby Digital posted:

Did this really happen? LMAO if so
Hundreds of policemen die of embarrassment in Catalonia.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

qkkl posted:

I hope Barcelona gets sacked and its treasures are laid at the feet of the King in front of his palace in Madrid.

Also that all FC Barcelona titles are retroactively voided :v:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It's really bizarre to compare what is happening right now in Catalonia to how Iraq dealt with the Kurdish independence vote: Which of these situations did you expect would feature diplomatic restraint?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So Puigdemont is now calling for mediation, as expected, because a mediation process would ensure that he makes some gains through his actions. Rajoy on the other hand is simply waiting for the Catalan to make the next move, confident in his position.

Unless the Catalans find someway to pressure Rajoy internationally, which doesn't seem likely at this point because no one but Nigel Farrage is backing them, nothing will happen until Monday.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

qkkl posted:

I hope the king gets sacked

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I particularly enjoy how the king accused them of being disloyal.

It's like, yes, they know, that's the entire loving point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Democrazy posted:

It's really bizarre to compare what is happening right now in Catalonia to how Iraq dealt with the Kurdish independence vote: Which of these situations did you expect would feature diplomatic restraint?
I don't think there's any chance of Iran and Turkey invading Catalonia in case they declare independence though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think there's any chance of Iran and Turkey invading Catalonia in case they declare independence though.

Well, there are army bases inside Catalonia already, so technically it will be invaded as soon as they declare independence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mozi posted:

Quite frankly if they were named Dogalonia instead of Catalonia they would have the full backing of the international sphere.

Dogalonia, capital Barkelona

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I hope the king gets sacked

If Catalonia becomes independent, they'd likely become a republic, so yes. ;)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Look at all the dog-whistling going on in this thread.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Orange Devil posted:

Look at all the dog-whistling going on in this thread.

I've always felt you were prejudiced against cats.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

mobby_6kl posted:

So far there has been far less violence than in Spain. And many Europeans would swear that Iraqis and Kurds are incapable of exhibiting more civility than a European.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/915675406556176384

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sure, douse that fire with gasoline, what could go wrong.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Democrazy posted:

So far there has been far less violence than in Spain. And many Europeans would swear that Iraqis and Kurds are incapable of exhibiting more civility than a European.

Europe ends at the Pyrenees

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

double nine posted:

Sure, douse that fire with gasoline, what could go wrong.

Brinksmanship always works.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

I hope the EU will stand in solidarity with the defenders of law, justice and order in these troubling times. Maybe countries like Germany and Italy could offer police forces to support the legitimate Spanish government in Madrid to demonstrate to the Catalan people that their supposed leaders are demagogues who led them on a ruinous path out of the EU.

In other news, more and more companies announced that they are leaving Barcelona/Catalonia for Madrid.

And then I start wondering if you've mastered the art of irony. Masterful caricature either way.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Europe ends at the Pyrenees

Wow, slam on the people of Gibraltar out of nowhere :britain:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, let's send in the Germans again. Like in that famous painting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Airbus still makes parts for He-111s and the 4 surviving ones aren't airworthy so it'd take some tinkering, but I'm sure we can do it by working together, EU.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Germany is looking at buying F-15 for that role, because Tornados are too expensive to maintain and Typhoons are too expensive to modify.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes, let's send in the Germans again. Like in that famous painting

Maybe we can move all those Antifa folks to help out and be a police force in Catalonia

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
We should really have a separate thread but I'll say this.

This situation is the result of the generational sins of the Spanish Nation coming back to coup.

The nation never healed from Franco and his ugly head will continue to real up until that healing occurs.

Rajoy and the Spanish King are pushing this to be nothing but a rehash of that ugly legacy of his fascist state and their own ugly history of colonialism just as what goes on today in America results from the wounds of the civil war.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If Spain sends more troops and tries to counter coup the country wont it justify a violent breakoff with a health 15' 6" DMZ in the middle of europe. I mean gently caress dude france will arm them just to middle finger Madrid. this is going to be really loving scary in a year. I mean Spain isnt going to lose 20% of its economy overnight withoit a fight.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I've seen this suggestion about French involvement multiple times in this thread now and I really wonder where this idea comes from. Especially given the French context of a secessionist movement in Corsica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
The sacking of Catalonia has already begun

https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/915836851260411905

The separatist leaders need mediation to happen asap or they are royally hosed because they will have fallen in the same trap Cameron (and, to a lesser degree Tsipras) fell into, trying to blackmail the EU/Spain with the threat of a referendum/separation to get what you want, only to find out that the other side has all the cards and will watch you self-immolate and piss on your ashes.

Orange Devil posted:

I've seen this suggestion about French involvement multiple times in this thread now and I really wonder where this idea comes from. Especially given the French context of a secessionist movement in Corsica.

I'm sure Macron wants to stab Rajoy, a well regarded member of the EPP family, in the back by interfering in Spain's internal affairs for little to no gain. It's not like he has other items on his agenda.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 5, 2017