Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The russians already breached the executive, though.

yeah, but we're not to the point of getting the daily menu report though. That's the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That's what, fourteen of those 100-round mags stacked back there?

Jesus Christ.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
But he's not a gun nut

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's what, fourteen of those 100-round mags stacked back there?

Jesus Christ.

Also most of the guns in the pictures have them attached.

Guy planned on doing a loving lot of shooting, gently caress

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Am I wrong seeing this,
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/915462071956983808

And thinking it's incredibly tone deaf?

I don't disagree that those events were terrible and that they're worth discussing and remembering, but come the gently caress on. It's loving genocide olympics/whataboutism of the dumbest magnitude at this point.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Duke Chin posted:

Man I do not get it either. My gf's mother threatened to get us one asked if we wanted one for Xmas last year and I was just "lol uhh thanks but no thanks"

There's already been multiple devices and apps caught doing this and it literally just gave Apple/Amazon/Google the idea and green light for these stupid things and just... gently caress that x 1000

My son-in-law got an Alexa for my wife as a "good thing". So far, we've put it to use telling Shakespearean yo mama jokes and dadjokes. The Shakespeares are good.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong seeing this,

I don't disagree that those events were terrible and that they're worth discussing and remembering, but come the gently caress on. It's loving genocide olympics/whataboutism of the dumbest magnitude at this point.

It's tone deaf and stupid

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Identity politics is a hell of a drug

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong seeing this,

CNN continues to be oblivious. They suffer from clintonisn, where despite having good people and good content, the generally can't manage to use it without loving up. Not to mention im starting to view neoliberal policies as particularly well suited to bring tone deaf by design

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong seeing this,

Seems reasonable to point out that "deadliest mass shooting in US history" actually means "deadliest criminal mass shooting by an individual in modern US history". Plenty of people aren't aware of the massacres in our history that were swept aside with no consequences.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So Tillerson is out by Friday afternoon yea?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

cowboy elvis posted:

If recent history is anything to go by he's already resigned at this point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Has Trump said he has full confidence in him? That's the real kiss of death.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

given how prepared the shooter was with his camera in the hallway, planning and arsenal I'm honestly surprised this wasn't more damaging than it was. He could have made the assault on his room hell if he wanted to. And I know the assault team is gunna be dog rear end tired after hauling all their poo poo up 32 flights of stairs....I don't know what SOP is in regards to using elevators.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Waroduce posted:

given how prepared the shooter was with his camera in the hallway, planning and arsenal I'm honestly surprised this wasn't more damaging than it was. He could have made the assault on his room hell if he wanted to. And I know the assault team is gunna be dog rear end tired after hauling all their poo poo up 32 flights of stairs....I don't know what SOP is in regards to using elevators.

Like someone mentioned before, they probably took a service elevator most of the way. You don't want your breach and assault team to take 20 minutes and be exhausted when they get there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems reasonable to point out that "deadliest mass shooting in US history" actually means "deadliest criminal mass shooting by an individual in modern US history". Plenty of people aren't aware of the massacres in our history that were swept aside with no consequences.

That's fair and fine. Problem is, you will still get people who as soon as you say "deadliest criminal mass shooting" will start to shout you down for "implying" that somehow the Tulsa Race Riots or other massacres weren't criminal or terrible.

I don't think it's unreasonable to remind people that these events occurred, but it just reeks of whataboutism that is anything but helpful right now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/915596990674849792

Our special boy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
NBCNews: Tillerson called Trump a moron

Tillerson: Not gonna talk about it

Trump/Scavino: HAH I'M VINDICATED

NBCNews: well, actually https://twitter.com/MSignorile/status/915597090155372545

CNN: yep NBC is right https://twitter.com/ryanbeckwith/status/915594258450731009

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nick Soapdish posted:

Our special boy.

Even better, he's tweeting that (technically it's probably mulvaney with the account logged on, but semantics) because NBC is reporting that rexy called him a "loving moron". Rex just had an unannounced press conference to affirm his support and deny rumors that he's resigning

https://twitter.com/_brittanyv/status/915597197328179205

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

quote:

Propublica has Ivanka and Don Junior (Fredo) escaping a felony fraud charge over Trump SoHo in 2012 because a donor (and Trump lawyer) got involved and the DA dropped the case, against the recommendation of the DA's team.

https://twitter.com/katierosman/status/915513565158756357

Id like to point out that the unit in the Manhattan DA's office, the one that was reportedly overruled regarding the fraud investigation, is widely respected. In fact, they were the unit which was responsible for one of the most sucessful financial prosecutions in history.

http://manhattanda.org/press-release/da-vance-and-major-economic-crimes-bureau-receive-department-justice-award-investigati

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm seeing alot of random chatter about the shooter streaming the inside of his hotel room

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

RIP Tillerson. Any favorites to repeal andreplace?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Handsome Ralph”" post="“477047502”"]
That’s fair and fine. Problem is, you will still get people who as soon as you say “deadliest criminal mass shooting” will start to shout you down for “implying” that somehow the Tulsa Race Riots or other massacres weren’t criminal or terrible.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to remind people that these events occurred, but it just reeks of whataboutism that is anything but helpful right now.
[/quote]

Weird thing about that article is that every incident was done under color of law and they dismissed some others because they were done "by police". All those massacres were done by the police or military.

The article could've gone over the same point about there being many massacres on this scale without such a misunderstanding of the incidents.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong seeing this,

Listen, if you go onto the militant black website that just acquired Very Smart Brothas and recently got bought by Univision, you're gonna get a black as hell story. Seeing as how the shooting happened at a country festival, how are they supposed to tie back to their core audience?

Any time to remind people of the multiple Rosewood massacre is a good time. Wipipo get the gold metal in the genocide Olympics.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh man that is a great username

If only my posts were as good!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

KirbyKhan posted:

Listen, if you go onto the militant black website that just acquired Very Smart Brothas and recently got bought by Univision, you're gonna get a black as hell story. Seeing as how the shooting happened at a country festival, how are they supposed to tie back to their core audience?

Any time to remind people of the multiple Rosewood massacre is a good time. Wipipo get the gold metal in the genocide Olympics.

I actually saw it reposted by a friend of mine (who is white), as well as seeing a similar talking point pop up across lefty twitter. I get it. They aren't wrong. I just think it's a dumb take and reaction to have at the moment in light of "hey so yeah 60 people are dead from this crazy lone gunman, but that's nothing compared to THIS massacre."

Though now I'm finally starting to see friends on FB post dumb conspiracy bullshit.

So it's probably just me getting tired of everyone inserting their dumb takes into this. I'm just gonna take a break from social media. poo poo ain't worth it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Am I wrong seeing this,

Handsome Ralph posted:

That's fair and fine. Problem is, you will still get people who as soon as you say "deadliest criminal mass shooting" will start to shout you down for "implying" that somehow the Tulsa Race Riots or other massacres weren't criminal or terrible.

I don't think it's unreasonable to remind people that these events occurred, but it just reeks of whataboutism that is anything but helpful right now.

You have no idea what whataboutism means, stop using that word.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Burr and Warner are giving a press conference on the progress of the senate intel committee

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

at the date posted:

You have no idea what whataboutism means, stop using that word.

Whataboutism is saying "I know we're all talking about X, but what about..." which is what that article is doing. It's not inherently wrong but in most cases it seems to be.

If I'm in the wrong here, then fine, I'm in the wrong. But that is whataboutism.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cowboy elvis posted:

The real question is which active duty commander is gonna replace him when Donnie fails to find someone competent to work for him voluntarily?

Oh wait, that position needs to be a civilian, doesn't it? Maybe Ivanka then

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 4, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sacrist65 posted:

Id like to point out that the unit in the Manhattan DA's office, the one that was reportedly overruled regarding the fraud investigation, is widely respected. In fact, they were the unit which was responsible for one of the most sucessful financial prosecutions in history.

http://manhattanda.org/press-release/da-vance-and-major-economic-crimes-bureau-receive-department-justice-award-investigati

"INVESTIGATION AND PROSECTION"

Hope they're better in the courtroom than in spellchecker.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Whataboutism is saying "I know we're all talking about X, but what about..." which is what that article is doing. It's not inherently wrong but in most cases it seems to be.

If I'm in the wrong here, then fine, I'm in the wrong. But that is whataboutism.

Whataboutism is a way of dismissing something bad by comparing it to something else. In this case, whataboutism would be saying that this shooting isn't a big deal because the one in Norway was worse. In the article they're not trying to dismiss the gravity of this shooting, but rather pointing out that more qualifiers need to be added to "the deadliest mass shooting in US history" because it's just not accurate.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fister Roboto posted:

Whataboutism is a way of dismissing something bad by comparing it to something else. In this case, whataboutism would be saying that this shooting isn't a big deal because the one in Norway was worse. In the article they're not trying to dismiss the gravity of this shooting, but rather pointing out that more qualifiers need to be added to "the deadliest mass shooting in US history" because it's just not accurate.

Alright, that's a fair assesment, and I'll admit I was wrong. I took the article at face value saying that "the shooting isn't as big a deal because of" and they aren't actually saying that.

Mea culpa.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, could have made the headline: "America continues to be terrible, we've been murdering Indians and protestors for decades"

Instead they whataboutismed that point with the Vegas shooting

E; I'm saying your definition is far to narrow, this is it being used stupidly in practice not just theory.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie still has confidence in Tillerson as of 10 minutes or so ago. How long did it take to go from that point to gone for Price? I doubt Donnie has even had a chance to finish screaming at him yet.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Whataboutism specifically refers to defending your side from an accusation by accusing your opponent of something else without actually denying the original charge. Just because you can rephrase an article like the one about the historical massacres as "What about other massacres" does not mean it's whataboutism.

If the shooter had been Native American, and the article was defending/minimizing his actions by saying "You people did way worse to Indians in the 1800s" or "You blow up weddings in Yemen," that would be whataboutism.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What about when trump got an 8 year old American girl shot through the neck and she bled out.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
And besides, the article is just true. The Root has an agenda but they happen to be 100% right here. You can seriously address the Las Vegas shooting without falsely calling it the worst massacre in US history, and if I were a person whose ancestors were uniquely prone to being massacred I'd probably be pretty ticked off too.

e: gently caress it

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 4, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Re: the Tillerson quote, there really is a Trump tweet for everything

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/524960640117780480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

at the date posted:

And besides, the article is just true. The Root has an agenda but they happen to be 100% right here. You can seriously address the Las Vegas shooting without falsely calling it the worst massacre in US history, and if I were a person whose ancestors were uniquely prone to being massacred I'd probably be pretty ticked off too.

I think my issue wasn't so much with the Root article (because I agree with you, the core point the author makes is correct), but more with how people I know have pushed it as a sort of Genocide Olympics style argument. It left a sour taste in my mouth and rather than read through the entire article with an open mind, I had already arrived at the conclusion the article's author was doing the same thing I'd seen others doing (engaging in Genocide Olympics debate). He's not.

• Locked thread