Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

That, I agree on. I don't really like how the tile system just makes planets fill up and not be significantly improvable for the rest of the game.

Stay tuned on that topic.

This is great news. It'd be awesome if habitability related to actual regions of a planet rather than applying to the whole thing. Humans would have a 100% habitability score for Earth but can't live on two thirds of its surface area.

Even sticking with tiles, if habitability could be adjusted on a per tile basis and tiles could be placed in semi-random bands to represent latitude, that would be great. Humans should be able to live on the equatorial bands of arctic worlds, and the poles of deserts, but not expand beyond those without tech. The tile blocker system that's meant to represent this doesn't feel interesting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wiz posted:

It's one of those things were many players really, really do not understand what they actually want out of games (for other empires to fall apart but their own empire to always be 100% stable due to their clearly genius rule).
Well, can we do that then?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

This is great news. It'd be awesome if habitability related to actual regions of a planet rather than applying to the whole thing. Humans would have a 100% habitability score for Earth but can't live on two thirds of its surface area.

Even sticking with tiles, if habitability could be adjusted on a per tile basis and tiles could be placed in semi-random bands to represent latitude, that would be great. Humans should be able to live on the equatorial bands of arctic worlds, and the poles of deserts, but not expand beyond those without tech. The tile blocker system that's meant to represent this doesn't feel interesting right now.

I can't find the tweet but this came up when the habitability wheel got reworked not long after Wiz took the helm - the answer was essentially 'no'.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Well, can we do that then?

If you want to get bored to death that much I can suggest some other, cheaper 4x-titles

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

There is nothing that players more claim they want yet utterly despise in practice than for their empires to fall apart.

It's one of those things were many players really, really do not understand what they actually want out of games (for other empires to fall apart but their own empire to always be 100% stable due to their clearly genius rule).

Even with this, it's too easy to hold conquered territory right now - you shouldn't be able to raise defensive armies from recently conquered pops.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can't find the tweet but this came up when the habitability wheel got reworked not long after Wiz took the helm - the answer was essentially 'no'.

A shame. Planets totally lack geography right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aethernet posted:

A shame. Planets totally lack geography right now.

It would also be a good way to make having multiple species feel meaningful. Imagine having a size 25 planet, but only 15 tiles are inhabitable by your primary species, so in order to access the remaining tiles you either need another species that can handle those conditions, terraforming, or tech. Isn't that a better system than current tile blockers?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It would also be a good way to make having multiple species feel meaningful. Imagine having a size 25 planet, but only 15 tiles are inhabitable by your primary species, so in order to access the remaining tiles you either need another species that can handle those conditions, terraforming, or tech. Isn't that a better system than current tile blockers?

Yes, it is. As long as you can force slaves to work in frozen wastes at a productivity penalty, of course.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'd like to be able to give a merge command during a queue even if the fleet is in warp down

Another would be a way to see what policies the AI has set. I wanna choose my allegiances based on food stockpiling, sir :eng101:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

- Fix food surplus not being calculated correctly with sectors (sector pops were twice as hungry as they should be)

This little gem explains why sectors are going nuts building farms, they are starving because they are greedy little piggies.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
What's the proper way to learn my rival's military strength and weapon tech, short of "start a war, then reload"?

My military strategy always boils down to a very simple flowchart: Is neighbor's fleet power Inferior or less?; Yes --> Attack; No --> Build more ships. I don't know if that's the system as intended or if I'm just terrible.

The fact is, while I love love the early game, everything comes to a halt the instant I meet my first unfriendly neighbor. At which point I have no idea if I can beat him (because "Equivalent" is too broad to be helpful), and the penalties for losing a war at that stage are game-ending, and if there is war a'brewing, I have no meaningful way to prepare for it besides "build more ships" and hope for the best.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, though, and "build more ships" just is the game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

sullat posted:

This little gem explains why sectors are going nuts building farms, they are starving because they are greedy little piggies.

Sectors filled with goons, who need copious amounts of cheetos. OwlFancier didn't realize that that event he was panicking about was a bonus.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I found a tomb world that has a few fallen-empire level abandoned buildings on them. If I terraform the planet first will I lose the buildings?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mechanical Ape posted:

What's the proper way to learn my rival's military strength and weapon tech, short of "start a war, then reload"?

My military strategy always boils down to a very simple flowchart: Is neighbor's fleet power Inferior or less?; Yes --> Attack; No --> Build more ships. I don't know if that's the system as intended or if I'm just terrible.

The fact is, while I love love the early game, everything comes to a halt the instant I meet my first unfriendly neighbor. At which point I have no idea if I can beat him (because "Equivalent" is too broad to be helpful), and the penalties for losing a war at that stage are game-ending, and if there is war a'brewing, I have no meaningful way to prepare for it besides "build more ships" and hope for the best.

Build a sentry array and creep on everybody's fleets, then counter what they are using (you can see easily if they aren't a crisis/fallen empire) and also having perfect awareness of where they are lets you do the dance to jump in behind them and hit their big ships before they can turn around to use big weapons. Very good for Titan fighting in particular.

I find that megastructure very handy.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 4, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I found a tomb world that has a few fallen-empire level abandoned buildings on them. If I terraform the planet first will I lose the buildings?

No, they'll stay.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

No, they'll stay.

Rad. I've never seen a tomb world with these sorts of structures. Primitive ruins from pre-space dudes who nuked them selves sometimes, but never the FE-level mines and farms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mechanical Ape posted:

As a guy who loves playing Inward Perfectionist Xenophobic empires, this is exactly how I play. The alternative to Build More Ships is Make Defense Agreements, and gently caress that noise.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Shugojin posted:

Build a sentry array and creep on everybody's fleets, then counter what they are using (you can see easily if they aren't a crisis/fallen empire) and also having perfect awareness of where they are lets you do the dance to jump in behind them and hit their big ships before they can turn around to use big weapons. Very good for Titan fighting in particular.

I find that megastructure very handy.

Well, sentry arrays are a somewhat later-game solution than I'm thinking of, but your mention of positioning gives me some things to consider. Thanks. I always forget that aspect because I'm prone to see fleet battles as a pure numbers issue, with all those pretty animations just for show, but I guess that isn't completely true.

So approaching from behind is a good way to get an edge (I'm guessing this works best if your fleet has lots of long-range weapons so they can start hammering right away).

How about engagements from close up? Like, if I knew my fleet was going to drop out of hyperspace right on the enemy, which configuration would give me the best chance? Would I be right in guessing it would be better to have more, smaller weapons than fewer, larger ones? And that missiles would dominate because their slow speed matters less in melee (and, maybe, because PD has less time to intercept them, though I don't know if that's how that works)?

I'm brainstorming because I'm in a tough spot in my current game but I feel there's a learning opportunity here.

From my save game, I know there's about 5-10 years before the local Fanatic Purifiers declare on me. I know that our technologies are similar (cruisers, hyperlanes, kinetic). And I know that my fleet (3-4k) is less than theirs (6k). So my challenge is to prepare as best I can. Strategically, I know which system they're going to move on -- it's the only one of mine near their border -- which means I can basically guess their opening move. Soooo ... it seems like one plan could be to max out the starbase there, build a snare station or two, and while they're busy with that, jump out of hyperspace behind them. I can use civilian ships to see them approaching, so I'll know which lane to use.

I'm not sure what's a good counter against kinetic weapons (he'll be using coilguns and autocannons).

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Aethernet posted:

Even with this, it's too easy to hold conquered territory right now - you shouldn't be able to raise defensive armies from recently conquered pops.

I get what you're saying, but dear god no, I don't want to have to deal with more ground units in the form of precious snowflake garrison battalions, or breaking off invasion army chunks that I then need to replace. Quisling defensive armies are fine in comparison.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The best positioning I have found is that a fleet with long range weapons can flatten the enemy ones if it drops in behind. If you have a decent amount of flak bearing destroyers and plasma bearing cruisers, you can just fall right into the middle so the fleets are just one big blob where you can't tell what ship is whose and the same thing where big ships with their big guns can't manage to be pointed in the right direction most of the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mechanical Ape posted:

It's either diplomacy or build more ships, yes.

If you're playing a xenophobe/unity build, you probably also have the harmony tree maxed out. That gives a huge bonus to ship build speed and a decent bonus to ship power when fighting defensive wars. Slow down your ship building, get declared by your rival. Top up fleet capacity quickly and wipe the floor with the enemy inside your own borders thanks to the bonuses. I've won countless early wars doing it, it owns a lot, you lure people into wars thinking you're weak, then you build up quickly and take all their poo poo. Pacifist faction will also be only about half as angry about a defensive war IIRC.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Isn't it only like a +33% ship build speed bonus? It helps, but it's not exactly game-changing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It can really depend on how much depth your empire has. If it's a small unity "tall" build you need a standing fleet at or above your limit at all times or you'll get ganked. If you have a bigger empire with forts all over you can probably afford to top-up your fleets at a time of war, specially since you have like 15 starbases to build ships at instead of 5. Order up 15 parallel battleship orders at once and you've got 15 battleships in time for battle, or at least in time to reinforce after the first major battles. With a tall build though you can't really depend on theoretical ships, they take too long and that first decisive battle is probably in orbit of your capital or something, there's just no time.

Where the defensive build speed bonus does come in handy is after you've defeated the first big wave, maybe you've totally wiped their main fleet out but yours took 50% or more losses. They'll be quickly rebuild their fleet while you rebuild yours. If you're playing tall you're probably up against an AI that has a huge empire, so lots of shipyards to rebuild fast. The bonus lets you counter that and raise a counter-attack force quick to take our their orbitals so they cant rebuild.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

It can really depend on how much depth your empire has. If it's a small unity "tall" build you need a standing fleet at or above your limit at all times or you'll get ganked. If you have a bigger empire with forts all over you can probably afford to top-up your fleets at a time of war, specially since you have like 15 starbases to build ships at instead of 5. Order up 15 parallel battleship orders at once and you've got 15 battleships in time for battle, or at least in time to reinforce after the first major battles. With a tall build though you can't really depend on theoretical ships, they take too long and that first decisive battle is probably in orbit of your capital or something, there's just no time.

Where the defensive build speed bonus does come in handy is after you've defeated the first big wave, maybe you've totally wiped their main fleet out but yours took 50% or more losses. They'll be quickly rebuild their fleet while you rebuild yours. If you're playing tall you're probably up against an AI that has a huge empire, so lots of shipyards to rebuild fast. The bonus lets you counter that and raise a counter-attack force quick to take our their orbitals so they cant rebuild.

I wouldn't want to deal with more than 10 shipyards, sheesh.

...unless there's keyboard shortcuts for more than 10 bookmarks?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ideally I"d love to be able to order ships via a fleet menu like in eu4 and it would automatically spread out orders based on the closest shipyards. So you'd click a fleet, say you want 10 more battleships, and those 10 battleship orders would be spread out among the nearest 10 spaceports, sector or not, what ever gets them built quickest. Then those ships would start with orders to auto-join the fleet that asked for them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't want to deal with more than 10 shipyards, sheesh.

...unless there's keyboard shortcuts for more than 10 bookmarks?

No, but you can combine shortcuts with your core sector ledger to get up to 20 shipyards before the juggling becomes infernal. Just put your shortcuts on your most important 1-10 sector shipyards and then you can use your ledger to control the rest from the drop down menu.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Something which always served me well: Make sure to have some space pirates or other hostile space life in sensor range of your ships/planets at all times. If you don't just exterminate all of them as soon as possible, you can see your neighbors sometimes sending their own fleets to clear them up. Which means you can observe them using their weapons and if there's a war later, you can counter them perfectly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Send a ship through their space to spy on them, and if that isn't possible, active sensor link. If they ever go to war with anyone, get a sensor link as well and watch the war in detail. All it takes is one peep to see they're going 90% missile weapons and then you've got a good hard counter, or know not to waste space with lots of PD>

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Sectors filled with goons, who need copious amounts of cheetos. OwlFancier didn't realize that that event he was panicking about was a bonus.

it's ok I fixed it I blew up customers services and turned it off and now my planet has a thick layer of cheeto fertilizer and everyone is happy.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can anyone clarify, what does the option to colonize a habitable planet inside my borders by spending Influence get me? Is that, as I would assume, a "your populace is ready to spread to other planets, you just need to give them a little push" way to get around the massive undertaking of manually sending off a crate-full of colonists? Or is this some lesser form of colonization, or some sort of Influence tax that'll need to be paid in addition to the colony ship?

(Very early on in my first-ever campaign; don't want to shoot myself in the foot here. Googling yielded virtually no information, so I'm guessing this was a feature added some time after release?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok no everything is terrible again, the nice old friendship empire next to me with the pet planet, their home star just blew up and now horrible poo poo is pouring out of the hole where it used to be...

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can anyone clarify, what does the option to colonize a habitable planet inside my borders by spending Influence get me? Is that, as I would assume, a "your populace is ready to spread to other planets, you just need to give them a little push" way to get around the massive undertaking of manually sending off a crate-full of colonists? Or is this some lesser form of colonization, or some sort of Influence tax that'll need to be paid in addition to the colony ship?

(Very early on in my first-ever campaign; don't want to shoot myself in the foot here. Googling yielded virtually no information, so I'm guessing this was a feature added some time after release?)

Colonizing a new planet always costs influence and the price of a colony ship, regardless of whether the new planet is inside or outside your borders..

You are spending political capital ("influence") by convincing people to leave their homes and families to go settle in a new, possibly less habitable environment. The further away from your home territory (outside your borders) the harder it is to convince people, but there is always a political price to pay, even within your borders.

Golli fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 5, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Ah jesus, I need a 400k+ fleet to beat this contingency bullshit don't I? Can't sustain of 260k right now. Wish this had been signposted or anything. Either have to slog through a bunch of wars or console in a new fleet and resources until it's done. Looks like it will take 10mins odd to kill the drat planet even so. gently caress this

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Welp I guess I just accidentally won when I beat the miltarist AE into submission, because apparently Stellaris works on Riddick rules so I inherited all of their thralls :confuoot:

I think that's the first time I won without it being a slog of "well I guess it's time to finish the game now". Never even saw a crisis!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Update: Seems like everyone else in the galaxy just went :stare: at the swarm of microstars led by a giant statue currently glassing the most powerful force in the galaxy because we all suddenly got +200 mutual threat modifiers. I'm going to turtle up and try not to die.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost of Starman posted:

Colonizing always costs influence and a colony ship, but distance increases the influence cost with "inside your borders" being the cheapest.

The colonize button is just a handier way to kick it off than manually building the ship and directing it to the planet. Clicking it will bring you to a screen asking where you want to put the colony building, then another screen asking what planet you want to build it from and what species to put in it. Then the game will set the ship building and send it to the colony when built.

What it gets you is a new planet to build and grow pops on and potentially bulge your borders a bit, depending on location.

More planets means research and traditions cost more, so expanding too fast is bad but so is expanding too slowly!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Update: Seems like everyone else in the galaxy just went :stare: at the swarm of microstars led by a giant statue currently glassing the most powerful force in the galaxy because we all suddenly got +200 mutual threat modifiers. I'm going to turtle up and try not to die.

This is maybe not the best plan of action.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is this end of the cycle or what?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Update 2: Microstars actually have multiple, different shaped death statues. They can also teleport across half the galaxy, one just appeared in my home system??

Fortunately that is also my primary fleet base so they landed on top of my entire fleet that I was building to fight the terminators to the west. The microstars themselves appear to be almost entirely shields so I am rapidly trying to refit as much as possible to disruptor cannons and bomber wings, but they have some kind of draining area effect which saps fleet power. They also appear to have some kind of doomsday weapon that just turned the xenophile homeworld into a tomb...

Building fortresses around every planet I have the money for and praying I can hold off whatever comes for them long enough to get my fleet to respond.

I actually don't know what this is from but I would guess probably leviathans extended or more events. I have a feeling the terminators might have poked one of the things that appeared in their part of the galaxy and woke something up because a lot of people are declaring war on them and they don't seem bothered by the microstar invasion.

They're literally a swarm of tiny stars led by weird statues.

I could probably fight the little ones OK but the big ones have a sizeable chunk of my fleet power each, and I have no idea what the statues do but they seem to run if you damage them too much.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Holy poo poo, what mod is this from, LEX? :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Is there a way to tell what crisis has been chosen/if I rolled the mythical no crisis thing? It's now been well over 220 years and I killed the AE and technically won but I wanna know if it's worth looking at.

• Locked thread