Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Entropic posted:

At FNM release day draft last week I got paired against a ~ 10 year old girl in round 2 and I basically intentionally lost game 1 because I had a crazy non-intuitive play I could have done to barely win the first game, but I decided to let her win with the 9/9 Brontodon. Ended up going 1-1-1 because she was a new slow player, but whatever, worth it, it was just FNM.

I wouldn't ever say you gotta pull your punches and intentionally throw the game to a new player, but if you don't at least make the effort to make sure they know what's going on and make sure they're having fun, then you're the rear end in a top hat.

Yeah its always important to give newer and younger players a good experience. That's why I'm always courteous, until they say "Good Game" before the game is over, then I consider it my duty to go into a Yosemite Sam style rage with the gun I've brought and shoot my cards off the table instead of scoop them up. Sometimes their parents just don't raise them right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i make sure to say good game on every pull of the trigger during russian roulette

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Yeah its always important to give newer and younger players a good experience. That's why I'm always courteous, until they say "Good Game" before the game is over, then I consider it my duty to go into a Yosemite Sam style rage with the gun I've brought and shoot my cards off the table instead of scoop them up. Sometimes their parents just don't raise them right.

Look at this pleb conceding :smuggo:

You know if you refuse to pass priority your opponent is forced to concede if they want to ever leave right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TwistedNails posted:

Vanquishers banner in modern elves is the real deal, I just lost to it and they drew at least 6 cards in 2 turns off it. They played the new enchantment flip to a land too and it was decent, still not sure if it's needed though.

What is being cut for this? It seems like 4-of Company/Chord should be a given and I don't know where else a non-elf can fit.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

What is being cut for this? It seems like 4-of Company/Chord should be a given and I don't know where else a non-elf can fit.

I'll rewatch the match when I get home tonight from work to try and figure it out. The player was Japanese and didn't answer my questions very well when I tried to ask about it at the end. The only normal elf list elf I didn't see was nettle sentinels and he played big Genesis waves with all of his Mana over CoCo. The deck didn't play vizier druid combo so that freed up 5 cards. I'm positive that the banner is a good card on the normal deck, even if you need to SB it in vs decks with grafdiggers cage. I bought a few to try out in my deck, they are cheap.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Scarab God is a near 40 dollar card now, hahaha

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at that Skred deck you guys brought up to me yesterday, and I really like the look of it. Quick question though, is it a dumb idea to pick up some Blood Moons now given their price? Should I wait or is it a fairly safe thing to purchase, probably not getting modern banned, etc? I think I have a playset of Magus of the Moons in a box if I dig, but I'm guessing its a lot less useful since its on an easily removed body and Dismember exists.

Although I have to admit as much fun as it looks to play I'm wondering if I should just sell those Maguses, Snow Mountains, and other pieces I have and just keep my dinky little budget options since I doubt I'll be playing as heavily as I used to. Maybe just stick to my relatively budget Modern options and just stay casual.

Side note, whats up with so many GPs being Team events now?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was looking at that Skred deck you guys brought up to me yesterday, and I really like the look of it. Quick question though, is it a dumb idea to pick up some Blood Moons now given their price? Should I wait or is it a fairly safe thing to purchase, probably not getting modern banned, etc? I think I have a playset of Magus of the Moons in a box if I dig, but I'm guessing its a lot less useful since its on an easily removed body and Dismember exists.

Although I have to admit as much fun as it looks to play I'm wondering if I should just sell those Maguses, Snow Mountains, and other pieces I have and just keep my dinky little budget options since I doubt I'll be playing as heavily as I used to. Maybe just stick to my relatively budget Modern options and just stay casual.

Blood moon just got reprinted this spring so it's at a good price now, also it'll never get banned.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'd get the blood moons regardless; if it gets banned you won't have to worry about your deck investment because the format will suck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If I Hijack a Conqueror's Galleon and attack with it, do I control the resulting Conqueror's Foothold permanently? Unlike the other flips it specified that it is exiled during the flip and returned to play under "your control," making it a discrete game object from the card I originally targeted with Hijack, right?

Also, is this both funny and thematic?

Last time I played Exile wasn't a game concept/keyword, it was the much clunkier "Remove from game."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If I Hijack a Conqueror's Galleon and attack with it, do I control the resulting Conqueror's Foothold permanently? Unlike the other flips it specified that it is exiled during the flip and returned to play under "your control," making it a discrete game object from the card I originally targeted with Hijack?

Yeah, if you steal something and an effect says "exile it, then return it to play (transformed) under your control", you keep that for as long as it remains on the battlefield.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Your daughter is adorable but cats suck and don't belong on that shirt

Cumslut I will crush you with Arahbo for sullying the fine name of the fuzzy hedonists!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This applies to you, but it's general advice for the thread as well. If you want any modern cards, get them now or wait until next summer. Modern season is starting and prices are going to start spiking.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Magic Story posted:

Jace passed the next few days in a happy haze. Pleasantly busy and active, but constantly distracted by the sheer noise of it all.

oh, this is going to be one of those stories

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elyv posted:

:frogon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Those?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

When I was a boy it was just a mess of nonsense from mythology, fantasy, and pop culture. Hell, at least one card literally had flavor text that was a passage from the actual Quran.

Like a series of scenes, rather than a coherent story.

Now that I'm back I'm getting hit over the head with metaplot and this "Jace" guy who seems real boring as heck. There's probably even tie-in novels that I don't hate myself enough to read.

I remember reading a Magic novel in high school that among other things went into detail about the matriarchal warrior culture of a 1/1 [W] drop with the now-defunct keyword banding.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You're going to poo poo yourself when you find out they make action figures of these guys now and people buy them and bring them to MTG events. guess who's the most popular

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What we have now is still better than the weatherlight saga.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chill la Chill posted:

You're going to poo poo yourself when you find out they make action figures of these guys now and people buy them and bring them to MTG events. guess who's the most popular

Nicol Bolas?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, if you steal something and an effect says "exile it, then return it to play (transformed) under your control", you keep that for as long as it remains on the battlefield.

I had an instinct that it would revert back to its owner from my recollection of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. But Jace explicitly returns "under his owners control", while Galleon says "under your control". So the bad beats from losing a Control Magic'ed flip Jace are not present for the Galleon.

For anyone else who had the same thought I did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

It is one of those. Jace goes full Monster Musume.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If I Hijack a Conqueror's Galleon and attack with it, do I control the resulting Conqueror's Foothold permanently? Unlike the other flips it specified that it is exiled during the flip and returned to play under "your control," making it a discrete game object from the card I originally targeted with Hijack, right?

Last time I played Exile wasn't a game concept/keyword, it was the much clunkier "Remove from game."

Also note that while Hijack gives it haste, it does not make it a creature. So you have to provide your own crew for the ship you hijack. Unless for some reason your opponent already crewed it in your precombat Main.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 4, 2017

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So it's looking like I may hit up GP Portland, in spite of my self-imposed ban from Oregon! I know it's standard, and I have been following the decks but I am thinking I am going to want something aggressive, but not Ranumap Red.

I know it's still super early in this format, but what are people liking? Is there a possibility for a Dino or Pirate aggro?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

En Fuego posted:

So it's looking like I may hit up GP Portland, in spite of my self-imposed ban from Oregon! I know it's standard, and I have been following the decks but I am thinking I am going to want something aggressive, but not Ranumap Red.

I know it's still super early in this format, but what are people liking? Is there a possibility for a Dino or Pirate aggro?

U/B favorable winds looks fine.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the ones with really bad writing and grammar, instead of the ones with acceptable(by my low standards) writing and decent grammar

(to clarify, those two sentences I posted? Literally the first two sentences of the story)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

En Fuego posted:

There has only been one standard event since Ixalan but it looked like Energy, Ranumap and Approach are the most played decks. Didn't see any Dino decks and the only dinosaur I saw get actual play is the Deathgorge Scavenger. Worlds is this weekend so maybe we will see something cool but my guess is that it is an event that people will bring safe decks to and not a new brew.

Here are the decks from the SCG event last weekend.
http://sales.starcitygames.com/deck...tion=Show+Decks

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

En Fuego posted:

Dinosaurs landed a few T64 spots in the Open, and it looks to play roughly the same as RG Monsters from Theros standard. It is a hefty investment though, considering they run 4 carnage tyrant and usually at least 2 Chandras.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Dinosaurs landed a few T64 spots in the Open, and it looks to play roughly the same as RG Monsters from Theros standard. It is a hefty investment though, considering they run 4 carnage tyrant and usually at least 2 Chandras.

There were only two maindeck Tyrants in the Open top-64 dino list, and it really didn't impress. I think the best thing it did on stream was chump a Longtusk Cub. The price is dropping.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

InterrupterJones posted:

No worries on cards for it, just looking for the most fun deck where I turn things sideways. Potential costuming also taken into consideration~

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

En Fuego posted:

No worries on cards for it, just looking for the most fun deck where I turn things sideways. Potential costuming also taken into consideration~

You might like playing a Constrictor deck. Make your dudes as big as you can and swing.
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116343

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

Nicol Bolas?

*looks up nicol bolas cosplay*

Well I'll be

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you want aggressive and not mono-red, just play an energy deck.

Sultai or Four-Colour are the two big ones currently.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just hope you like dropping $40 a hit on The Scarab God.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Mezzanon posted:

U/B favorable winds looks fine.

These decks are very bad from what I hear

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

It is one of those. Jace goes full Monster Musume.

What the hell does this mean

Did jace start boning medusa or what

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

These decks are very bad from what I hear

Yes this is correct. I tested U/W fliers, U/B fliers, and Esper fliers. The deck is close to being good, but it not good...

That's why I'm on Esper gifts. Because that deck is good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GeneX posted:

What the hell does this mean

Did jace start boning medusa or what

Yes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

You want a fun deck? Hoo boy I got you as long as you love Enigma Drakes as much as I do. It's bad, but fun, though there are few things to turn sideways.

Deck: UR Funstuff

//Lands
2 Highland Lake
8 Island
2 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
4 Spirebluff Canal

//Spells
4 Chart a Course
4 Crash Through
1 Dive Down
2 Essence Scatter
4 Lightning Strike
4 Opt
4 Riddleform
4 Shock
2 Spell Pierce
1 Sweltering Suns
3 Unsummon

//Creatures
3 Cryptic Serpent
4 Enigma Drake

//Sideboard
2 Abrade
2 Chandra's Defeat
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Essence Scatter
2 Jace, Cunning Castaway
2 Magma Spray
3 Negate
1 Sweltering Suns

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what is the Goon Consensus on the best sleeves now that KMCs are poo poo? Dragon Shield Mattes, right?