Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

M_Gargantua posted:

But what does that have to do with people needing to own deadly weapons that are particularly good at killing people? Yes maybe we can finally knee jerk into banning them, but why was there a need for civilian ownership in the first place.
Please see again the part where I strongly recommended reading this:

Naked Bear posted:

If you would like to understand the context in which the second amendment was proposed and written, please read David Vandercoy's paper: The History of the Second Amendmend (pdf link). I strongly recommend that everyone take a few minutes out of their day to read this, regardless of whether they are supportive of or critical of the second amendment. Knowledge is power, yo.
I don't say this to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but if you really want to know why and really want to have well-informed discussion, please do your homework. I even made it easy for you. You don't have to agree with anything I've written or anything that's in that paper, but please read it so that you understand why we have that in our Constitution. Please.

As an aside, I'd like to remind everyone about how it has always been perfectly lawful for folks to make their own firearms at home. Parts, tools, and plans are already out there for people to lawfully make their own firearms, and in 2017 it's easier than ever. Right now, I would presume that many are doing it for the DIY aspect, because it's certainly not cheaper than just buying a gun over the counter. Banning more things, aside from being a non-solution, will only serve to expand that market, thus making it even less expensive and easier to jump into. We all know how effective bans are at removing various things from the market (hint: they're not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If ownership of semi automatic rifles is necessary for self defense against a destructive government then we should do what I (completely seriously) tell the CSPAM thread all the time, arm and train minority communities.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I completely agree with that! The good news is that the one really good thing Trump has done (unintentionally :lol:) has been to inspire more folks to learn about firearms.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

If ownership of semi automatic rifles is necessary for self defense against a destructive government then we should do what I (completely seriously) tell the CSPAM thread all the time, arm and train minority communities.

Gonna be hard pressed to get me to disagree with arming minority communities and training them for proper community defense. That's absolutely something that should be done.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I completely agree with that! The good news is that the one really good thing Trump has done (unintentionally :lol:) has been to inspire more folks to learn about firearms.

I bought my first gun after watching Trump give a nice soft kiss to the alt-right after Charlottesville!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You know all of the anti-ban arguments were identical in Australia yet they haven't had any shooting sprees remotely like before, right? There is no good reason for most people to have any type of weapon and I say this as a gun owner. A proper gun buyback and proper registration of hunting/farm weapons would stop the vast majority of the daily gun violence in America.

This isn't like we're reinventing the wheel here. Plenty of places around the world have went from armed populace to not and have been almost entirely free of gun related massacres since.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know all of the anti-ban arguments were identical in Australia yet they haven't had any shooting sprees remotely like before, right? There is no good reason for most people to have any type of weapon and I say this as a gun owner. A proper gun buyback and proper registration of hunting/farm weapons would stop the vast majority of the daily gun violence in America.

This isn't like we're reinventing the wheel here. Plenty of places around the world have went from armed populace to not and have been almost entirely free of gun related massacres since.

Did those countries have sections in their government's founding documents inherently protecting the existence of an armed populace?

Seriously curious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Australia was actually very federalist and all gun laws were ran by the individual states.

The 2A makes it more difficult for sure, but as for the matter of effectiveness we only need to look to the rest of the world. See also healthcare.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

[quote="“Mr. Nice!”" post="“477052661”"]
You know all of the anti-ban arguments were identical in Australia yet they haven’t had any shooting sprees remotely like before, right? There is no good reason for most people to have any type of weapon and I say this as a gun owner. A proper gun buyback and proper registration of hunting/farm weapons would stop the vast majority of the daily gun violence in America.

This isn’t like we’re reinventing the wheel here. Plenty of places around the world have went from armed populace to not and have been almost entirely free of gun related massacres since.
[/quote]

How do you determine what the criteria would be for a proper gun buy-back would be, or describe a "farm gun?" Why would people who live in rural areas be more privileged to own a firearm than those in urban areas? Further, given that police response times to some predominantly minority urban areas are quite high (or that minority communities are also victims of police violence themselves), why should they be denied lawful forms of self defense while whiter, rural communities can retain that capability?

I'm asking this in a good faith attempt to not engage in the kind of pedantry or semantics that end up derailing a lot of these conversations.

FWIW, I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to legally purchase a firearm where I live (DC), including being fingerprinted and photographed at the main police station over two visits that required me to take time off of work (I'm a salaried employee), pay nearly $200 in fees between the one FFL in the district and the background check, and that process will repeat if I ever buy another gun here. While I'm generally pretty OK with this arrangement, I'm privileged enough that I can afford both the time and money to stay within the law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like if you legit have livestock, it makes sense to own a shotgun or two and some hunting rifles.

You do not need an ar-15 with a bump stock.

Basically if the only purpose of the weapon is killing people (handguns, assault rifles, etc) it should be banned from regular civilian use. This is common sense unless you really think that an armed populace is going to overthrow the government. I hazard that even if every gun owner banded together now that it couldn't be done. The original intent of the 2nd is null in a modern context.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like if you legit have livestock, it makes sense to own a shotgun or two and some hunting rifles.

You do not need an ar-15 with a bump stock.

Basically if the only purpose of the weapon is killing people (handguns, assault rifles, etc) it should be banned from regular civilian use. This is common sense unless you really think that an armed populace is going to overthrow the government. I hazard that even if every gun owner banded together now that it couldn't be done. The original intent of the 2nd is null in a modern context.

Frankly, I'll agree with you that bump stocks are loving dumb and don't serve a legitimate purpose. I'm really quite okay with them going away. I also think that :tinfoil: chat about THE GUBMINT and mass insurrection is basically Brackenchat.

I realize that we're veering close to that semantics chat that I said I wanted to avoid, but "assault rifles" are already tightly regulated by, well, the same legislation that bump stocks attempt to circumvent. If we're talking about a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle, then there's no real difference between an AR-15 or a Mini-14 (commonly regarded as a ranch gun) beyond features that don't affect how the weapon functions (ie pistol grip, flash hider, etc.) I'm sure you know that as a gun owner and a vet, and apologies if I'm somehow coming across as condescending because that is not my intent.

If I could, I'd make every gun in the world disappear in a flash. Until I rub the right lamp and get that wish, I'll still believe in an individual right to firearms ownership. I don't hold that belief because of some slavish devotion to 2A or rejection of regulations en masse, but from personal experience in talking with survivors of Hurricane Katrina, and being in some seriously hosed up places and meeting people who had been victimized before.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
See I can't justify arguing that a semi-automatic handgun is not primarily ideal as a defense weapon since its something you can conceivably carry often should the need arise. But youre not going to be walking around town with a mini-14 for self defense and deer hunting at the same time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Australia was actually very federalist and all gun laws were ran by the individual states.

The 2A makes it more difficult for sure, but as for the matter of effectiveness we only need to look to the rest of the world. See also healthcare.
Contrary to what some folks would have you believe, this is not the case. Violent crime has been trending down across the developed world. Gun buybacks have already been shown to have little or no effect. I'll cite some reputable sources later today when I have the chance (I don't want to be that guy talking out of his rear end). Healthcare also isn't a great comparison. The grass isn't greener on the other side, and the Canadians seem to have problems not too different from our own VA. This is only what I've learned from my Canadian roommate and is thus entirely anecdotal, so don't put too much weight in this (it is very nearly talking out of my rear end).

Mass shootings are not statistically significant and they are not the lens through which we should seek to regulate firearms. It sounds cold and uncompassionate, but it's the hard, uncomfortable truth. The "we need to do something" attitude is good and admirable, yes, and we certainly should! Mass shootings are just one problem among many. There are a number of root causes of violent crime, for which we must come up with a similar number of solutions. To suggest that there exists a one-size-fits-all solution is disingenuous at best, disastrous at worst. It's quick and easy to propose one solution; it's difficult to tackle a number of different problems and come up with solutions for all of them. That's hard work, but it needs to be done. I think we can all agree that civilian firearm ownership is an overall net positive, details aside.

Mr. Nice! posted:

"Common sense" isn't common anymore. We don't have to agree on the feasibility of this, but I think that saying "it's clearly impossible, therefore we shouldn't bother" is an asinine and defeatist position to take.

e:

M_Gargantua posted:

See I can't justify arguing that a semi-automatic handgun is not primarily ideal as a defense weapon since its something you can conceivably carry often should the need arise. But youre not going to be walking around town with a mini-14 for self defense and deer hunting at the same time.
Handguns are great because they're portable and concealable; nobody needs to know that you're carrying and everyone can go about their business. Nobody carries rifles around town anyway, even though it's perfectly lawful in the vast majority of locales.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

As another aside, I'd just like to thank everybody here for being cool cucumbers even though we don't all agree on some things. This seems like a rarity these days, especially through the semi-anonymity of the internet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've spooned with a 2000lb torpedo for a month (literally). That may have skewed my view on weaponry to be more or less reasonable depending on your point of view.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

We all have different experiences. :shobon:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Naked Bear posted:

Please see again the part where I strongly recommended reading this:

I don't say this to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but if you really want to know why and really want to have well-informed discussion, please do your homework. I even made it easy for you. You don't have to agree with anything I've written or anything that's in that paper, but please read it so that you understand why we have that in our Constitution. Please.

As an aside, I'd like to remind everyone about how it has always been perfectly lawful for folks to make their own firearms at home. Parts, tools, and plans are already out there for people to lawfully make their own firearms, and in 2017 it's easier than ever. Right now, I would presume that many are doing it for the DIY aspect, because it's certainly not cheaper than just buying a gun over the counter. Banning more things, aside from being a non-solution, will only serve to expand that market, thus making it even less expensive and easier to jump into. We all know how effective bans are at removing various things from the market (hint: they're not).

David Vandercoy is approaching his evidence in the wrong way. While Madison was fearful of government tyranny the majority of the Senate, who made Madison rewrite the amendment, had in mind a military that would assist the government in putting down insurrections and rebellions, as is evident in the Militia Clause. Shay's Rebellion and the government's inability to effectively control the situation had much more to do with the Second Amendment we have than the American Revolution or all the British history he goes in to does.

Phone posting or I'd go into greater detail, maybe tonight!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

The NRA used to be about training and safety. :sigh:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Grem posted:

David Vandercoy is approaching his evidence in the wrong way. While Madison was fearful of government tyranny the majority of the Senate, who made Madison rewrite the amendment, had in mind a military that would assist the government in putting down insurrections and rebellions, as is evident in the Militia Clause. Shay's Rebellion and the government's inability to effectively control the situation had much more to do with the Second Amendment we have than the American Revolution or all the British history he goes in to does.

I’d really like to read that. Have you or any of the folks here with an academic background read any of the stuff from Carl Bogus (it’s his real name, seriously) regarding the second also being something that was also to put down possible slave revolts? I’d be interested to see if that interpretation is out to lunch or not.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

There isn't enough name calling itt.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

We're trying to be civil, fuckface.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Current events thread is thataway.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

We're trying to be civil, fuckface.

Chucklefuck

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Grem posted:

That's pretty interesting, I'd like to hear more about it!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3WEMPZJD8

-

Also, I am totally not welching on my earlier promise to cite some things. I was a bit distracted by other... tasks, so I apologize for the cock tease. It's on the way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

M_Gargantua posted:

Its funny you say this since armed minorities demonstrating is the last great boogeyman out there that might budge the GOP on gun control. Even then, I'm not entirely sure. A black dude gunned down a bunch of cops in Dallas and they just kinda shrugged.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Godholio posted:

The NRA used to be about training and safety. :sigh:

No poo poo. I remember doing the NRA course as a part of Boy Scouts, and that's what it was. Gun safety training and even some environmentalism teaching us to be responsible stewards of the land.

Now the NRA has gone full loving bore white supremacist whackjob cuckoo pants. I honestly want nothing to do with people I meet at ranges anymore. If I didn't bring them there as friends they're almost guaranteed to be some survivalist rear end in a top hat with fantasies of mowing down hordes of urban ferals zombies.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Arc Light posted:

Current events thread is thataway.

That thread was pooped from a butt.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There is some small satisfaction to pulling up to gun ranges (which are mostly in the extremely Republican suburbs here) with my Bernie Sanders magnet on the back. But yeah the whole political gun culture disgusts me, especially the thinly veiled (or overt) racism that pervades it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its funny you say this since armed minorities demonstrating is the last great boogeyman out there that might budge the GOP on gun control. Even then, I'm not entirely sure. A black dude gunned down a bunch of cops in Dallas and they just kinda shrugged.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mulford Act on a national level brought back if there were enough of the Wrong People owning firearms.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Capn Beeb posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mulford Act on a national level brought back if there were enough of the Wrong People owning firearms.

I dont think they could even do that. Open carry is huge for the true believers

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Problematic Soup posted:

I’d really like to read that. Have you or any of the folks here with an academic background read any of the stuff from Carl Bogus (it’s his real name, seriously) regarding the second also being something that was also to put down possible slave revolts? I’d be interested to see if that interpretation is out to lunch or not.

I've read some of Bogus' stuff and he's pretty right on.

So this might be a bit thrown together, trying to watch the Rockies lose.

Here's Washington's idea of why everyone should be armed.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."

That describes a militia, independent of the military, and shows a belief that everyone should be armed. Why would he think that? Well, this address given to Congress was in 1790, a year before the Bill of Rights was ratified, and three years after Shay's Rebellion. Shay's Rebellion was fought by a group of rebels trying to siege the American armory in Springfield, Massachusetts. At the time America had little to no army, they didn't have the funds to raise one, and they didn't have state militias.

Shay's Rebellion was put down by a private militia, and people like George Washington, who had disappeared from public life, were so aghast that no men would take up arms to defend their country from an insurrection that they reappeared and were propelled in to high seats of the government (people like Washington, Hamilton, Adams, Jefferson).

People act like the words "well-regulated militia" are a side-note in the second amendment, but it is very deliberate language. Washington uses it again after he crushes the Whiskey Rebellion.

"The devising and establishing of a well regulated militia would be a genuine source of legislative honor and a perfect title to public gratitude. I therefore entertain a hope that the present session will not pass without carrying to its full energy the power of organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and thus providing, in the language of the Constitution, for calling them forth to execute the laws of the Union, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions."

Notice he says suppress insurrections.

So there's a couple of views from Washington, but let's talk about the ideals that the country itself was founded on.

The founding fathers were elitists, don't get it twisted. They thought themselves the smartest men in the world, and that the people, realizing that, would accept their rule. Jeffersonian Republicans were the more liberal faction. Madison belongs to this faction. Did they think that everyone should vote? Nope. Just white dudes. They also believed so strongly in the voting system that it would be the way government is changed, not through insurrection. Their check and balance system did not include the people fighting against their government to overcome oppression.

"Should things go wrong at any time, the people will set them to rights by the peaceable exercise of their elective rights." -Thomas Jefferson

So what was Madison's point? The main arguments he makes is in the Federalist Papers, where he defines in three paragraphs that the national army should always be smaller than the total of all militias (about 1/5 the size). To understand his point it's important to understand that the Federalist Papers were written to encourage Americans to support the constitution. Madison is portraying his militias as the main military force in America, more powerful than the army. He wrote about the militias being able to resist the American army, sure, but he also wrote just as much as the militias repelling an invasion from European powers.

That's all I have time for tonight, hopefully that gives a decent enough overview.

Grem fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 5, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I mean basically, like most things in the Constitution, you have to look at how the Supreme Court has interpreted it throughout the years. Did they say in D.C. v. Heller that the 2nd Amendment guarantees every person the right to bear arms? Then fine, that's what it means now. Trying to retroactively say that it was the founder's intent, though, is worthless and in this case pretty wrong.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

One of these days the domestic terrorist is going to be a chemist and that's a conversation post-mortem that I don't think the country is ready for.

We're nice and solid in our blame guns viewpoints while still faithfully ignoring the cause of social isolation and extremism

I fly aloooooot for buisness and am tsa pre cleared. I am a mid twenties white good looking, in shape american male. The only times I have EVER been stopped by tsa is when I wear a shirt I have with the periodic table of elements on the back I got from a conference lmao. 3/4 w the shirt and being stopped

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

I always loved chucklefuck and chucklehead.

That and dipshit. Just really great insults.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Grem posted:

I mean basically, like most things in the Constitution, you have to look at how the Supreme Court has interpreted it throughout the years. Did they say in D.C. v. Heller that the 2nd Amendment guarantees every person the right to bear arms? Then fine, that's what it means now. Trying to retroactively say that it was the founder's intent, though, is worthless and in this case pretty wrong.

That was actually one of the things that I read in Gunfight by Henry Winkler, the assertion that Scalia calling the Heller decision an act of originalism was complete bullshit. And yeah, I like the outcome of the Heller decision, but I am also not really wedded to the idea that it’s any way interpreting the original intent of the second correctly.

Thank you for taking the time to put all that down.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think it's a complicated issue and it is going to require introspection on all sides.

The fears of those concerning themselves with federalism and protection are already centuries ago realized: the government already out guns it's citizenry. The fears of those who who oppose unrestricted gun ownership are also sadly realized by recent events, however, if we're willing to restrict one amendment, it would be troubling to imagine they could take other's away.

I think the reality is that most Americans would rather live with the terrible tragedy if it required no change on their part. I think that arguing the government who would take one right that enshrines tools of violence would take other rights is a logical fallacy. I think that good guys with guns don't stop as much violence as we would hope; and that the proliferation of guns has led to several troubling effects on our society, like police who are fearful of the communities they serve, and have led to more easily committed murders, suicides, and accidents.

Guns are not bad. They are a tool and are used to inflict violence upon a subject. Our society is based on egalitarian ideals of freedom and self determination, and people with guns have used them in service of defending those ideas, but many many more are using them to hurt and kill those around them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Re: The NRA, they just uploaded the John Oliver clip from the Orlando shootings in which they discuss the NRA's tactics.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Re: The NRA, they just uploaded the John Oliver clip from the Orlando shootings in which they discuss the NRA's tactics.

Wait? Like as a refutation or as an acceptance? Wth

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Waroduce posted:

I fly aloooooot for buisness and am tsa pre cleared. I am a mid twenties white good looking, in shape american male. The only times I have EVER been stopped by tsa is when I wear a shirt I have with the periodic table of elements on the back I got from a conference lmao. 3/4 w the shirt and being stopped

Guns don't kill people, the chemical reactions propelling the bullet do.

Also post a picture, you good-looking in-shape American male, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait? Like as a refutation or as an acceptance? Wth

I meant to say John Oliver uploaded a clip from his show about the NRA.

• Locked thread