Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I had an orisa game last week where I tanked the tire to the face with the fortification 3 times and lived every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're guaranteed to survive riptire if you're at max health and using fortify but it gets dicey when you're hurt since the tire can deal up to 600 damage

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Black Pants posted:

(Unless there's a Junkrat using RIP Tire. That loving ruins me)

In the current meta, if you die to a riptire and it didn't kill your Mercy then that's a wasted ult, so take it as a victory.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Blue Caboose posted:

In the current meta, if you die to a riptire and it didn't kill your Mercy then that's a wasted ult, so take it as a victory.

Yeah, Mercy is basically target number 1 and everyone else is just gravy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

totalnewbie posted:

same goes for everything except i guess graviton, if you can get 3 or 4 in it with a surekill followup

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Good, I feel better for basically saving my Barrage to just gently caress over Mercy and ignore trying to use it on large groups unless we've got a Graviton or Earthshatter ready to go. Barrage is a death sentence most of the time, but if I can get the Mercy killed its probably worthwhile.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Good, I feel better for basically saving my Barrage to just gently caress over Mercy and ignore trying to use it on large groups unless we've got a Graviton or Earthshatter ready to go. Barrage is a death sentence most of the time, but if I can get the Mercy killed its probably worthwhile.

All of my Ults remain unused until enemy Mercy makes a move. Ideally I'm popping Reaper and Soldier Ults a moment after she Ults to shoot take her down.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah I definitely have been forced to learn to play more defensively as Mercy since the update; people really focus on you now.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Someone just complained about my using golden cannons with D.Va's original skin. Did I inadvertently violate an Overwatch fashion rule?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Looks like changes to the PTR have removed the cool down reset for Rez from Mercy's ult, and it still has a 30s cooldown during the ult. That was fun while it lasted!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Montalvo posted:

Looks like changes to the PTR have removed the cool down reset for Rez from Mercy's ult, and it still has a 30s cooldown during the ult. That was fun while it lasted!

Countdown until it turns out that this doesn't actually address the issue and Mercy continues to have a 100% pickrate.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I follow a top 500 Mercy main on twitch and his chat is full of Mercy mains having fits of rage saying they're quitting overwatch now so I don't know!

Also, if Mercy's SR gains are linked to number of resurrects, this presumably means less SR gains for people who play her a lot?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Montalvo posted:

I follow a top 500 Mercy main on twitch and his chat is full of Mercy mains having fits of rage saying they're quitting overwatch now so I don't know!

And a bunch of Mercy mains pitched an unholy fit for days straight and vowed to quit Overwatch forever right after the rework first went live despite the fact that she shot up to the top of the pickrate pile across all comp ranks virtually overnight. Imagine raging out when your favorite character suddenly becomes broken good and a mandatory must-have. Her rezzes during Valkyrie aren't really the cornerstone of what's busted about her, it's the fact that she can turn pretty much every important teamfight into a 7v6 if the other team doesn't have a Mercy of her own. These changes don't actually do anything to address that, ergo I'm not convinced that futzing with the rez resets of Valkyrie is really going to have a significant impact.

e; and SR gains shouldn't be linked to personal performance metrics anyway, this is just another example to throw on the pile.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

And a bunch of Mercy mains pitched an unholy fit for days straight and vowed to quit Overwatch forever right after the rework first went live despite the fact that she shot up to the top of the pickrate pile across all comp ranks virtually overnight.

Oh I'm sure! That was meant to be more of a facetious comment. It's amusing to see people claiming they'll quit over this, but the changes still make me sad.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Montalvo posted:

Oh I'm sure! That was meant to be more of a facetious comment. It's amusing to see people claiming they'll quit over this, but the changes still make me sad.

They make me sad because they aren't directed in the right place. Three staggered rezzes over the course of Valkyrie's duration is fine. A rez every 30 seconds is degenerate and will probably continue to be so.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Not mentioned: a Nerf to Rip-tire speed and Genji can now slice the instant he pops his ult. Because if there's someone who needed a buff, it was Genji. :suicide:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Father Wendigo posted:

Because if there's someone who needed a buff, it was Genji. :suicide:

I've seen this sentiment expressed a bunch lately, but Genji's winrate at the moment is nothing to fawn over. I'm pretty sure it's sub 50% at all tiers at the moment. Dive is no longer in favor, and the Mercy meta specifically devalues the impact of snagging quick kills, plus Mercy is now a lot harder for him to kill if she ults in response to his. He's not garbage, but he's not setting the scene on fire or anything.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Father Wendigo posted:

Not mentioned: a Nerf to Rip-tire speed and Genji can now slice the instant he pops his ult. Because if there's someone who needed a buff, it was Genji. :suicide:

Do you know the numbers on the speed nerf? is it back to its original speed?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait what? They nerfed Junkrat's tire? Really? That ult doesn't need to be weak again, it can still be basically one shot

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Truecon420 posted:

Do you know the numbers on the speed nerf? is it back to its original speed?

I just tested this, then went back and tested it again since I didn't notice any difference...
https://giant.gfycat.com/BountifulTemptingJapanesebeetle.webm

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
They'd talked about nerfing the tire's suddenly extreme airspeed when ramping it off of walls and such, but I thought they'd already made that particular change.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I am thinking someone was doing a regular match and saw their tire didn't go as fast off a wall and didn't know about that change, so they called it "tire speed is nerfed".

e: Did long avs get nerfed on this forum

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not for the first time, I wish Blizzard was a lot more diligent about documenting the changes they make even on the PTR.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

I've seen this sentiment expressed a bunch lately, but Genji's winrate at the moment is nothing to fawn over. I'm pretty sure it's sub 50% at all tiers at the moment. Dive is no longer in favor, and the Mercy meta specifically devalues the impact of snagging quick kills, plus Mercy is now a lot harder for him to kill if she ults in response to his. He's not garbage, but he's not setting the scene on fire or anything.

literally the only time Genji has been better than "slightly above average" was due to hero synergy / counters, namely when Zenyatta both had an ability that enabled the gently caress out of Genji while simultaneously being extremely vulnerable to an enemy Genji

and even then he was still second fiddle to McCree because "consistent hitscan DPS" is one of the best qualities a gun can have

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 5, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

literally the only time Genji has been better than "slightly above average" was due to hero synergy / counters, namely when Zenyatta both had an ability that enabled the gently caress out of Genji while simultaneously being extremely vulnerable to an enemy Genji

and even then he was still second fiddle to McCree because "consistent hitscan DPS" is pretty much the best thing a DPS hero can have barring weird, extreme metas

tracer and genji are the most picked dps in pro overwatch right now and have been very meta for months. you're significantly (deliberately?) minimizing how useful his overstuffed bag of tricks is for staying alive and moving around the battlefield

genji doesn't remotely need buffs whatsoever

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's more like "tracer is the most picked DPS in overwatch right now and genji and soldier are the runners-up and 30% less picked than she is"

he doesn't need buffs but acting like quality of life / usability tweaks here and there are some outrageous problem is dumb, especially when the real issue has far more to do with the massive number of DPS heroes who are next to useless rather than the flankers or soldier being insanely strong

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Question on winrate statistics: if someone has an extremely high pickrate, doesn't that naturally shove their win percentage closer to 50% due to mirror matches counting as both a win and a loss? I thought that was part of the evidence that Mercy was so broken--her winrate is not that high but her pickrate is so high that she has to be winning the rare non-mirror matches at an extremely lopsided rate to show up against the 50% winrate background noise. So it stands to reason an ubiquitous hero like Genji having a slightly above average winrate shows a distinct edge, albeit not an outright broken one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Paging Blue Caboose to the Overwatch thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Looks like it is in fact a bug and the intended change was just to fix the stun vs. ult charge interaction:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759317874?page=3#post-56

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genji not being played has always been because the meta doesn't work for him, not because he's actually bad or needs some kind of buff to compete

most people are pretty bad at him too so idk that his winrate is ever gonna be the best

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

You can pull the tire! :)

I've tried this several times now (assuming you mean the secondary fire grab) and it's never had a line connected to the tire.

If you just mean pull it as in grab aggro on it yeah that happens plenty. :P

Edit: I've just found out what it takes to get a POTG as Orisa though, by throwing a shield down in front of a Reaper right as he ulted, and then killing him.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Black Pants posted:

I've tried this several times now (assuming you mean the secondary fire grab) and it's never had a line connected to the tire.

If you just mean pull it as in grab aggro on it yeah that happens plenty. :P

I was wrong, you can catch it with hogs hook or zarya's grav, but you cannot pull it with halt, which is weird. Sorry about that!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
dva's mech works the same way when exploding. can reinhardt pin the tire though?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have, several times out of reflex, attempted to sleep dart the tire as Ana. :negative:

It doesn't work obviously, but it still makes the hit sound when the dart connects. Just enough time for you to feel like a complete idiot for trying to put a tire to sleep before it blows up and kills you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wrist Watch posted:

I have, several times out of reflex, attempted to sleep dart the tire as Ana. :negative:

It doesn't work obviously, but it still makes the hit sound when the dart connects. Just enough time for you to feel like a complete idiot for trying to put a tire to sleep before it blows up and kills you.

Sleep dart on the tire should deflate it. It can still blow up but no more rolling.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i want to see the ana that does the last 5 damage to the riptire with sleep dart

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I want it to fall over and pump out some ZZZs

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

can reinhardt pin the tire though?

I think I have a video of this interaction but I'll have to wait till I get home to check it. iirc the tire got destroyed and the junkrat right behind it got pinned.

e: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/21098852/new-social-features-now-in-beta-in-the-blizzard-battle-net-desktop-app
You can hide from your disgusting friends in Battle.net finally
Can also have a profile pic, send messages to people who are offline, etc.

e2: I have a video of me charging a Junkrat frozen in his riptire summoning animation, as expertly recorded by the in-game highlights system.
I guess the tire/charge interaction will remain a mystery. :v:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 6, 2017

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, he's around 1% below average. I've got another chart for the tryhard thread here in a few moments.

Note that Tracer is one of the worst winrates in the game for a DPS, putting her well into Hanzo tier except at incredibly high SR tiers. Genji's winrate tends to have a positive correlation with player skill too, but somewhat less steeply.

Genji has been a common pick in professional tier play thanks to his powerful ultimate and good mobility. He was much less common in triple-tank, (15% pickrate just before the ana nerf).

Genji probably doesn't need a buff, but a tiny buff shouldn't upset the balance of the universe or anything.

Straight White Shark posted:

Question on winrate statistics: if someone has an extremely high pickrate, doesn't that naturally shove their win percentage closer to 50% due to mirror matches counting as both a win and a loss? I thought that was part of the evidence that Mercy was so broken--her winrate is not that high but her pickrate is so high that she has to be winning the rare non-mirror matches at an extremely lopsided rate to show up against the 50% winrate background noise. So it stands to reason an ubiquitous hero like Genji having a slightly above average winrate shows a distinct edge, albeit not an outright broken one.

Genji's pickrate isn't high enough that this has a tremendous effect-- he's around 4.86% in comp. This effect tends to be pretty small unless you're in Mercy tier, wherein her 95+% pickrate means her performance in non-mirror matchups is probably closer to 75% winrate than 50% winrate.

Incidentally, this also has a magnifying impact on winrates below average, so Genji is probably slightly worse than winrate suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I kinda feel like discussions like these are forgetting that comp isn't the only game mode played. Cause Genji has like a near 100% pickrate in QP.