Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think my favorite is "Does anyone know Barack Obama's Xbox live gamertag?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Before they had their website, housekeeping used to take anywhere up to ten minutes. Not worth it for one final question - I used to skip it too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's no way housekeeping takes up a sixth of an episode, does/did it? Besides, I never felt like I had to rush through podcasts, I'm on the bus or in a car or something, ten minutes of housekeeping isn't going to kill me.

I skip most maxfun ads though, they're just objectively terrible.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Morpheus posted:

I skip most maxfun ads though, they're just objectively terrible.

Yeah but what about Elliot's voice?!?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah but what about Elliot's voice?!?

Is that the long irritating songs like this one guy? Because he's the reason I started skipping them in the first place.

I'll listen to money zone all day though, never know when the boys are going to throw out some hilarious poo poo while talking about the most innocuous of products.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Zaggitz posted:

suffering game rules now that its done and can be shotgunned in one go because it's the boys at their lowest right before they turn it and the entire tone of the meta narrative around in arms outstretched with one of their first truly selfless heroic group moments. It's good.

I liked it a hell of a lot more on the second time through without 2-week pauses, but there are definitely still points where it drags and even the boys start to make comments like "yeah whatever is this over yet". Basically any time it gets to the sacrifice section things bog down pretty severely until they get through it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pleads posted:

I liked it a hell of a lot more on the second time through without 2-week pauses, but there are definitely still points where it drags and even the boys start to make comments like "yeah whatever is this over yet". Basically any time it gets to the sacrifice section things bog down pretty severely until they get through it.

I think it was mostly that they didn't understand what was happening, so they didn't know how to react. They were supposed to suffer, but every time they did the smoke appeared which seemed like a bad thing.

Were they supposed to suffer? Were they supposed to be brave and take it in stride? Was there another way out they were supposed to discover?

But in the end it was just "do what Griffin says" with no tricks, secrets, mysteries, or fun. It definitely slows way down until the boys realized that and kept the game moving towards the end of the arc.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think my favorite is "Does anyone know Barack Obama's Xbox live gamertag?"

Is it true if you take a cops badge that they're not a cop anymore and you're the cop?

(also https://twitter.com/MBMBAM_LASTQ)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Final Yahoo is always worth it.

Can I get my dad arrested for not letting me drop out of school to become zayn maliks replacement in one direction?
OK so I want to drop out of school for ever. cuz I am tired of this teacher bullying me. Today he said I smelled like a wh0res handbag
Wtf is he even talking about?? I was smelling like aftershave. A nice one!!
so I drew up a plan to show my dad I am serious about this. It goes 1)leave school. 2)be zoo keeper. But then I herd about zayn so I'm willing to take that vacancy. I have got better at faking English accent and I would like lots of girlfriends.
he didn't even look at my plan.
He just got mad, saying for the last time I'm not leaving school. Said next time I mention it I will automatically get a slap.
this is a democracy!!
I'm tired of him saying no to EVERYTHING.
Can I have a parrot? no. Can I go to manchester with my friend?no. can I have one more beer? no. can I have some money? no.
so I started saying no to everything he says to me. And he had the audacity to get mad at me and yell you don't tell me no, I am the dad, I do this for you, I do that for you blah blah, I am a massive d--khead blah blah.
Please arrest him and I will have fun. Fun!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it was mostly that they didn't understand what was happening, so they didn't know how to react. They were supposed to suffer, but every time they did the smoke appeared which seemed like a bad thing.

Were they supposed to suffer? Were they supposed to be brave and take it in stride? Was there another way out they were supposed to discover?

But in the end it was just "do what Griffin says" with no tricks, secrets, mysteries, or fun. It definitely slows way down until the boys realized that and kept the game moving towards the end of the arc.

I got the impression that because the boys had broken the game so badly in the other chapters, Griffin built this suffering cycle with the expectation that they would do the same thing again, except this time they didn't.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

JethroMcB posted:

Final Yahoo is always worth it.

Can I get my dad arrested for not letting me drop out of school to become zayn maliks replacement in one direction?
OK so I want to drop out of school for ever. cuz I am tired of this teacher bullying me. Today he said I smelled like a wh0res handbag
Wtf is he even talking about?? I was smelling like aftershave. A nice one!!
so I drew up a plan to show my dad I am serious about this. It goes 1)leave school. 2)be zoo keeper. But then I herd about zayn so I'm willing to take that vacancy. I have got better at faking English accent and I would like lots of girlfriends.
he didn't even look at my plan.
He just got mad, saying for the last time I'm not leaving school. Said next time I mention it I will automatically get a slap.
this is a democracy!!
I'm tired of him saying no to EVERYTHING.
Can I have a parrot? no. Can I go to manchester with my friend?no. can I have one more beer? no. can I have some money? no.
so I started saying no to everything he says to me. And he had the audacity to get mad at me and yell you don't tell me no, I am the dad, I do this for you, I do that for you blah blah, I am a massive d--khead blah blah.
Please arrest him and I will have fun. Fun!

The best was when the final Yahoo from one ep was the first question in the next ep.

E: 321-322, which were good eps to boot

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 4, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kenny Logins posted:

The best was when the final Yahoo from one ep was the first question in the next ep.

"Are roller coasters good for you? UPDATE: Like for your body."

Threw me for a loop when they actually revisited it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I got the impression that because the boys had broken the game so badly in the other chapters, Griffin built this suffering cycle with the expectation that they would do the same thing again, except this time they didn't.

They did, they just waited until after the boss fight to do it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

There's no way housekeeping takes up a sixth of an episode, does/did it?

It used to be really bad. I'm listening backwards and just finished episode 42. 53 minutes long, housekeeping starts with about 9 minutes remaining. Here and there over the show's run they promise to scale back housekeeping and usually they did for a bit, only to have it come creeping back. Thankfully, starting their website helped a lot because they (usually) no longer name drop every single project they are involved in. It's still overly long though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The best final Yahoo is Justin counting down from 100 in his quiet British accent.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I usually skip forward 15 seconds or whatever at a time until I get just past the question, then back up so I can hear it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Suffering Game had a fine premise and good moments, but could have used another revision or two to give THB more chances to gently caress things up rather than relying on NPCs to do it. Although I guess arms outstretched qualifies.

I'll also always be a little sad at the missed opportunity for Taako to turn Magnus into a literal pure loving iron man.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I still always wonder if they had originally intended to go the romance route with Kravitz if only because it feels like he only had one moment during Crystal Kingdom and in the interlude after and then that was it for him. I do know the boys ruined a potential one from Suffering Game but it's like...huh did they really have that much interaction or was it just to please shipper people?

I am completely fine with it, it just felt weird and sudden I guess haha.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Good Listener posted:

I still always wonder if they had originally intended to go the romance route with Kravitz if only because it feels like he only had one moment during Crystal Kingdom and in the interlude after and then that was it for him. I do know the boys ruined a potential one from Suffering Game but it's like...huh did they really have that much interaction or was it just to please shipper people?

I am completely fine with it, it just felt weird and sudden I guess haha.
I think at some point they specified that more happened between them "offscreen", Griffin and Justin were each just understandably uncomfortable roleplaying a romance with a brother.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think at some point they specified that more happened between them "offscreen", Griffin and Justin were each just understandably uncomfortable roleplaying a romance with a brother.

Yeah with offscreen character development you've gotta keep in mind that the whole podcast minus The Stolen Century represents seven or eight days out of a little over a year.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Did Kravitz have a human form before they started the romance thing or was that tacked on then?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good Listener posted:

I still always wonder if they had originally intended to go the romance route with Kravitz if only because it feels like he only had one moment during Crystal Kingdom and in the interlude after and then that was it for him.
Given that Taako and Kravitz were flirting hard in the Interlude, and that the boys actually made up a relationship name for them, I think it's pretty clear.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

I completely get that part having a brother myself haha. It just seemed like something fans were way into so I wondered if that was a big deciding factor. Like I said it was just a thing I wondered. :nyoron:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it's not just a matter of knowing the fan reaction. My girlfriend just binged through the entire series and was so excited for Kravitz return, and she was completely in the dark about all fan related things. I think you can get their relationship just from the short interactions.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Morpheus posted:

Is that the long irritating songs like this one guy? Because he's the reason I started skipping them in the first place.

I'll listen to money zone all day though, never know when the boys are going to throw out some hilarious poo poo while talking about the most innocuous of products.

Oh man, Elliot Kalan is amazing and The Flop House is great. He was the head writer for the (Jon Stewart) Daily show and also the writer of this magnificent comic panel:

I used to be annoyed by the bumpers for it too but after giving it a listen I am hooked.

It's a podcast where two of the hosts attempt to derail the podcast as much and as hilariously as possible while the "host" Dan tries to wrangle them back in line.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The switcheroo episodes gave me an extremely bad first impression of the Flop House and it is 100% the fault of that singing dipshit.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Oh my Goooooood, it's happening agaaaaain

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*in elliot kallan voice*
ruh roh

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Who What Now posted:

The switcheroo episodes gave me an extremely bad first impression of the Flop House and it is 100% the fault of that singing dipshit.

Yeah, but all the switcheroo episodes were not good. ONRAC doing sawbones wasn't bad, but none of them were good.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

New Butt Order posted:

Yeah, but all the switcheroo episodes were not good. ONRAC doing sawbones wasn't bad, but none of them were good.

Mcelroys doing flop house was p good

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
elliot rules, if you don't appreciate him you got bad taste, hombre

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New Butt Order posted:

JJGO straight up mocking and insulting a Yahoo asker during their MBMBaM episode shows a complete fundamental misunderstanding of why people like the show and the brothers.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Waffleman_ posted:

JJGO straight up mocking and insulting a Yahoo asker during their MBMBaM episode shows a complete fundamental misunderstanding of why people like the show and the brothers.
"You can be funny and kind or funny and cruel. The second one is easier, but the first one is worth it." - Justin "Hoops" McElroy

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The best part of the Switcheroo was the bros. doing JJGo and trying to sing the theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l97XYbvgu_4

That and Griffin's turn as Go, the boy that Jesse and Jordan keep locked in their closet

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 4, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

The money zone stopped being fun when extreme restraints stopped sponsoring them. That was some of the funniest poo poo ever.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Bring back jingles

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the McElroy flophouse is actually incredibly bad on relisten, something happened to the audio quality and Griffin is just fuckin SHOUTING the entire time

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Serf posted:

The money zone stopped being fun when extreme restraints stopped sponsoring them. That was some of the funniest poo poo ever.

CRUMSLOR, DO WE HAVE SLACKS?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Who What Now posted:

They're funny but like, the fourth or fifth time he starts singing "I'm blue" again I just can't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Nuebot posted:

They're funny but like, the fourth or fifth time he starts singing "I'm blue" again I just can't take it.

His shtick works a lot better on The Flophouse because the show is actually just him and Stuart bullying Dan for an hour under the illusion of being a podcast with a subject.