Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I can trade in this brand new pixel xl for 410 dollars and get a new phone. or I can just keep using this pixel xl and not have to worry about paying for a phone for another 2 years.

I think that's what I'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm gonna get a regular Pixel 2. Fat phones are for fat hands imo, not beautiful ones like mine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

welp. Not paying $650 neither. I'll get whatever best phone Sprint will sell me for under $200 with a contract and that'll be fine, because gently caress it it's just a phone

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I have a phone with a Motorola logo on the back

It can send and receive telephone calls, connect to the internet, pretty much all the things

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Get on Project Fi and buy a phone through them. You can get that Moto 4x G whatever thing for cheap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I wouldn't even want to bother replacing my s4, except all the lovely samsung mandatory apps take up most of the phone's internal memory and the OS upgrades over the years have consumed even more, plus the menu and back buttons intermittently don't work any more.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

yeah I wouldn't even want to bother replacing my s4, except all the lovely samsung mandatory apps take up most of the phone's internal memory and the OS upgrades over the years have consumed even more, plus the menu and back buttons intermittently don't work any more.

That's the main reason I'm going with the Pixel. I keep my things beyond their lifespan and their phones don't have extra garbage software that accumulates space over time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

...yeah, that's the one thing I heard about it that makes me want it too. I mean I guess I could unlock a samsung phone and root it or whatever the kids call it these days but I do not feel like sinking many hours of my time into managing and tweaking a hacked phone for years.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

axeil posted:

Does it have a headphone jack though?

it doesn't, and is therefore garbage to me

The dual-pixel image sensor is cool, though

e. any sizable price drop on the OG pixel yet? any good deals?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How are the founders of twitter so god damned bad at everything?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm gonna get a regular Pixel 2. Fat phones are for fat hands imo, not beautiful ones like mine

I'm probably going to just get a regular Pixel 2 because LG is trash and they make the XL

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/latercapitalism/status/915596955526602752

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Companies are using court ordered rehab to get indentured servants:

https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

The whole loving thing is a nightmare, but here's the moneyshot:

quote:

Men who were injured while at CAAIR rarely receive long-term help for their injuries. That’s because the program requires all men to sign a form stating that they are clients, not employees, and therefore have no right to workers’ comp. Reveal found that when men got hurt, CAAIR filed workers’ comp claims and kept the payouts. Injured men and their families never saw a dime.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I'm not sure why leftists are supporting an independence movement based on nationalism and economic self-interest.

Like, I support independence votes generally for any nation that was forced into a union, but I find the forces motivating the independence vote concerning

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

$550, so going to talk with the wife about just spending the extra hundred for the pixel 2.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

welp. No headphone jack is a deal breaker for me too. gently caress that poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not sure why leftists are supporting an independence movement based on nationalism and economic self-interest.

Like, I support independence votes generally for any nation that was forced into a union, but I find the forces motivating the independence vote concerning

Barcelona was far to the left of Madrid during the civil war and more than carried their weight.

They've never really gotten over it. And they shouldn't since Madrid were a bunch of communist stooges.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are there many/any independence movements not based at least in part on some claim of nationalism? Like if you want to be a distinct nation it seems like establishing an identity for yourself is a prerequisite.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Do you guys use DJ head phones when you're using your phone? I didn't realize it was that big a deal to people :psyduck:

I use Audiotechnicas for work and some Logitech poo poo to game at home but I have never cared that much about phone sound. Maybe it's cause I drive everywhere.

I also don't work out with music because I ain't no bitch, ya bitch. It's swole day today

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 4, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I mean it's very similar to Scotland.

Historically they've had their own culture (including language) and are far to the left of the rest of the country. Why shouldn't they?

The only reason this hasn't happened already was soccer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

imagine trying that in any part of America.

There'd be APCs full of fat cops playing army rolling up to each blockade within an hour.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Are there many/any independence movements not based at least in part on some claim of nationalism? Like if you want to be a distinct nation it seems like establishing an identity for yourself is a prerequisite.

Well yeah it's a prerequisite but it shouldn't be the primary impetus.

Like, the issue that concerns me is that the movement seems to be heavily based upon the belief that Barcelona is holding up the rest of Spain and they want to keep the wealth for themselves.

I think they have the right to do so, because the acquisition of Catalan into Spain wasn't voluntary, but I don't feel comfortable with their reasoning.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

welp. No headphone jack is a deal breaker for me too. gently caress that poo poo.

Hahahahahha it doesn't have a headphone jack? Oh man what a bunch of morons not putting on a headphone jack who does that that's so crazy oh man oh man

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah it's a prerequisite but it shouldn't be the primary impetus.

Like, the issue that concerns me is that the movement seems to be heavily based upon the belief that Barcelona is holding up the rest of Spain and they want to keep the wealth for themselves.

I think they have the right to do so, because the acquisition of Catalan into Spain wasn't voluntary, but I don't feel comfortable with their reasoning.

Aight, I can respect that. For as much as I agree with their reasons I can readily acknowledge the potential for post-independence to go awry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I should also point out that I strongly believe any voluntary union like the US or EU should never allow for separation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahahahahha it doesn't have a headphone jack? Oh man what a bunch of morons not putting on a headphone jack who does that that's so crazy oh man oh man

I uh... I don't get it, I guess I'm not clued in enough. Is it really ironic or something, not wanting to deal with bluetooth, powered headphones, etc?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I should also point out that I strongly believe any voluntary union like the US or EU should never allow for separation.

So whatever people agreed to 200+ years ago, binds us forever?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yup

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I uh... I don't get it, I guess I'm not clued in enough. Is it really ironic or something, not wanting to deal with bluetooth, powered headphones, etc?

he asked, apparently unaware of the second amendment debate that's been going on for a bit now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if my great grandparents were stupid and wrong?

What if the deal they agreed to isn't the deal we have now?

This just seems really oddly absolute of a position to take. Like, who loving cares what some dusty wig wearing slave owning fop thought would be good, if everyone agrees we're better off going our separate ways now? If a region wants to separate and you say "no" and they say "we're going anyway" then what, bloodshed? You think it's better to kill people than let them be in control of their own destiny?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hot seat: What's your stance on Hawaii

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The premise behind a political union is that the stability of mutual support allows for a greater overall prosperity because it levels out the gaps in stability that would face an independent nation.

For example, an economically wealthy portion of a union supporting a less wealthy portion is overall beneficial to the wealthy nation because it eliminates the economic risk of the poorer country's collapse. Also, the economic prosperity shifts historically. A wealthy region of one generation might be poorer the next generation.

If a country wants to separate from a voluntary Union because at a certain point it is contributing more to the economic stability of the union than it is receiving, Its selfish and shortsighted.

A union can only function with the agreement between all parties to share both burdens and prosperity

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

You think it's better to kill people than let them be in control of their own destiny?

What do you think Lincoln did?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
hosed up a bunch of bitch rear end slave owners.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

fishing with the fam posted:

hosed up a bunch of bitch rear end slave owners.

word

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Technically the CSA was no more voluntary than the union.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The premise behind a political union is that the stability of mutual support allows for a greater overall prosperity because it levels out the gaps in stability that would face an independent nation.

For example, an economically wealthy portion of a union supporting a less wealthy portion is overall beneficial to the wealthy nation because it eliminates the economic risk of the poorer country's collapse. Also, the economic prosperity shifts historically. A wealthy region of one generation might be poorer the next generation.

If a country wants to separate from a voluntary Union because at a certain point it is contributing more to the economic stability of the union than it is receiving, Its selfish and shortsighted.

A union can only function with the agreement between all parties to share both burdens and prosperity

Sure, a region might be economically stupid to decide to defect, but that doesn't mean they don't have a fundamental right of self-determination. And, there are reasons other than economic ones to choose to separate.

Sometimes a region wants to separate due to what they perceive as irreconcilable cultural, racial, or religious differences. If a sub-region is being ruthlessly exploited, you're saying they can't leave just because at some point historically, whoever was in charge decided voluntarily to join up, so that's a forever commitment.

"Never" is a really really long time, and it's a big mistake to look at everything that goes on in the world strictly in terms of economics.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

No one of that, was just making a lovely comment about how the internet, and android fans lost their poo poo when Apple announced the same for the iPhone.

Imgur was also covered in posts about how the new iPhone would be around $900-1000 so I enjoy seeing the Pixel priced around the same.

I literally could not care less what phone someone else uses but apparently a whole bunch of people do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's also not like the CSA had a referendum for independence, it was decided quickly and rather unilaterally.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also the CSA was slavers, and any right action would've been putting them to the sword anyway.

Lincoln went nowhere near far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We need to talk, hair and makeup

https://twitter.com/armystrang/status/915620927949492225

• Locked thread