Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Knobb Manwich posted:

lol Malekeith is in ambush stance on the campaign map and he will not stop lifting his sword and screaming

too many feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Knobb Manwich posted:

lol Malekeith is in ambush stance on the campaign map and he will not stop lifting his sword and screaming
:byodood: "IGNORE ME!"

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Skaven are perfect. The hard part is deciding what warcrimes units to load up with your armies and commander skills. Everything is so fun!

Also, you can get so many easy buffs to clanrats with the tech tree and commander skills that stormvermin are mostly useless, I've found.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tyrion's voice actor talks like he's not seen half these words before. And not even just the made up ones.

Very annoying to listen to.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This game looks real good and I want to play it, but from where I'm sitting it looks like if I don't want to pay another $60 for the game this is supposed to be a sequel to, I'll be missing out on roughly half the game (coming soon(?)). Is that accurate?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Did CA reintroduce the reinforcement bug? Why in the world would a settlements army reinforce behind me as a besieging force??

I was playing the Warhammer 1 last week as the Wood Elves and in a battle with Beastmen, both our reinforcing armies arrived in the same location at the same time.

Boy, that was hectic and I lost a great deal more elves than I should have!

So I don't think it was ever fully fixed.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Third World Reggin posted:

I think next time that I play high elves, this will be the first thing I grab

That's that the Druchii only version. The high elves only get a buff to phoenix guard among some other buffs, but not the insane diplomatic relation boni.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

This game looks real good and I want to play it, but from where I'm sitting it looks like if I don't want to pay another $60 for the game this is supposed to be a sequel to, I'll be missing out on roughly half the game (coming soon(?)). Is that accurate?

You'll miss out on all the old factions yes. The old game goes on sale pretty frequently and you'd still be able to murder your way through the old world with poncy elves/goth elves/dinosaurs/RATS. I would say this game alone is still worth the money, but I've also bought pretty much every Total War game every so YMMV.

Fake edit: The Skaven are incredibly fun to play in this game and I would recommend it for them alone.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

If there are (or are going to be? the mortal empires thing is really confusing to a newcomer) plenty of dwarfs and orks and stupid humans to crush with dinosaurs and/or swarms of rats, that's probably good enough.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 4, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

If there are (or are going to be? the mortal empires thing is really confusing to a newcomer) plenty of dwarfs and orks and stupid humans to crush with dinosaurs and/or swarms of rats, that's probably good enough.

The current main campaign in Total Warhammer 2 has 4 playable races with 2 factions each (so 8 total different "starts"). You cannot yet play as the Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampires, various humans, etc. that were available in the first game in the second, but they are present for you to beat up! All the races from the first game are present on the new Vortex campaign map. For instance, last night I was charging Triceratops through immense hordes of zombies and fun was had by all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain how Skaven Corruption works in more detail? It seems like it just builds up slowly over time and eventually I'm just screwed and have a bunch of negative bonuses.

Also what's the double raised fist icon mean? Is that the counter to corruption? I never found an in game explanation.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

GaussianCopula posted:

That's that the Druchii only version. The high elves only get a buff to phoenix guard among some other buffs, but not the insane diplomatic relation boni.

this is bullshit and that will not stand

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

dark elves are the team of equality man

high elves? You got prince and princesses

Princes use a sword and shield
princesses use a bow

dark elves? Any gender can use a sword and shield or a sword and cross bow

gender neutral dark elf lords

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Popete posted:

Also what's the double raised fist icon mean? Is that the counter to corruption? I never found an in game explanation.

That's Uncorrupted, which ironically is a type of corruption. Races without vampiric/chaos/skaven corruption get buildings that spread Uncorrupted, rather than buildings that reduce corruption like in the first game.

I think next time that I play high elves, this will be the first thing I grab

You can see it here. Malekith will spread Uncorrupted, Morathi will spread Chaos corruption.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I payed skaven first, did I ruin the rest of the factions? Playing dark elves now and my line infantry die faster than clan rats, my magic is worse, my artillery is worse, ranged might be a bit better but eh.

Might just quit this campaign and play Skrolk instead.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Popete posted:

Can anyone explain how Skaven Corruption works in more detail? It seems like it just builds up slowly over time and eventually I'm just screwed and have a bunch of negative bonuses.

If you're skaven it makes the area habitable and if you're not it makes it uninhabitable until it's been cleared up. You'll lose public order and take attrition to it if you're not skaven and you'll lose public order and take attrition for not having it if you are.

The double fist icon is for uncorrupted which is the effect any non-skaven or non-chaos factions want.

To get rid of it kill any skaven in the area and get stuff that gives uncorrupted bonuses.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
dark elf ranged being "a bit better" than skaven is an understatement

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

AngryBooch posted:

The current main campaign in Total Warhammer 2 has 4 playable races with 2 factions each (so 8 total different "starts"). You cannot yet play as the Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampires, various humans, etc. that were available in the first game in the second, but they are present for you to beat up! All the races from the first game are present on the new Vortex campaign map. For instance, last night I was charging Triceratops through immense hordes of zombies and fun was had by all.

Okay that's a pretty big point in favor of this game, thanks for clarifying. Still disappointed that I'll have to own the previous one to play as the other races, but I guess if I like the game enough I'll keep an eye out for good sales.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you're skaven it makes the area habitable and if you're not it makes it uninhabitable until it's been cleared up. You'll lose public order and take attrition to it if you're not skaven and you'll lose public order and take attrition for not having it if you are.

The double fist icon is for uncorrupted which is the effect any non-skaven or non-chaos factions want.

To get rid of it kill any skaven in the area and get stuff that gives uncorrupted bonuses.

Skaven corruption is different: high Skaven corruption also causes big public order penalties, but in turn it lets you use more charges of Menace Below in a battle. Basically you'll want the Skaven buildings that spread Untainted influence in core areas while feeling free to not use them in border regions where your armies hang out.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ah good to know. I'm bored of elves and I'm looking at doing a lizardmen or skaven campaign. Which is the better lord for each? I know Mazdamundi get's a capital building which is always a good thing to have but Krok-gar gets a nice safe little start position. I can't decide. I don't know squat about how to play skaven.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

Fake edit: The Skaven are incredibly fun to play in this game and I would recommend it for them alone.

Best battle for me so far has been Queek and his starting units + whole bunch of clanrats + reinforcing Grey seer with lots of slaves and four catapults vs. Krog's All Saurus Murder Tour. It went like this:
First half of the slaves charge the advancing lizards, the catapults firing into the melees. When that bunch routes, the next wave charges in. After them come the rallied survivors of the first wave. It goes on like this until the catapults have expended their ammo and the exhausted surviving Saurus, each probably covered in the guts of tens of rats, make a ragged charge against the Clanrat line only to get their flank rolled up by flamethrowers. The plan involved lots of senseless death and was completely unfair in how well it worked. I can't wait to make State troop brisket and style on gobbos with doomwheels.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kind of suspect game 1 races will be a DLC purchase that game 1 owners will get for free

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mahasamatman posted:

Skaven are perfect. The hard part is deciding what warcrimes units to load up with your armies and commander skills. Everything is so fun!

Also, you can get so many easy buffs to clanrats with the tech tree and commander skills that stormvermin are mostly useless, I've found.

Agreed. If anything, Stormvermin need more/better upgrades so they are still proportional to Clan Rats in terms of cost difference.

There are a TON of combos you can do with Skaven, and their roster is nice and big. You can use slaves or Clan Rats to anchor a unit down, and:

-Use Death Runners/ruin/Mors Clan stone to mitigate enemy armor
-Use Plague Monks/Censer bearers to poison and blender them.
-Use spells, globadiers, or artillery to splatter them.

Lately my favorite tactic is Menace Below Warp Lightning (having our overlap friendly Skaven to get them to 50% faster) then immediately use a warp bomb and you essentially AoE double-tap a blob of expensive enemy units.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

StashAugustine posted:

I kind of suspect game 1 races will be a DLC purchase that game 1 owners will get for free

Wasn't there an accidental developer screenshot that showed exactly this?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skaven are all about the Rogres for me. They're cheap, fast and hit like trucks and can mow through poo poo while its clogged up by my billion clanrats.

Throw in a Warp Lighning cannon and some magic for flavor and you've got yourself a stew.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
"Hey Kroq-gar! It's your cousin, Balthasar! Balthasar Gelt! You know that new sound you've been lookin' for? WELL LISTEN TO THIS"

*img.onemilliongunsbehindonemillionhalbardiers*

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

sassassin posted:

How is Teclis finding the time to attend all these soirees at the Phoenix King's mansion? Focus on your mission, idiot.

It's not entirely clear, but I think you are supposed to be the Phoenix King making decisions in regards to influence. Otherwise, he's constantly being told how to behave by either Tyrion or Teclis which doesn't make sense. The intrigue at court panel also suggests that, but then the game otherwise presents your chosen army leader as the guy in charge giving speeches.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wasn't there an accidental developer screenshot that showed exactly this?

Something along those lines- you could see a bretonnia dlc in the list

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mukip posted:

It's not entirely clear, but I think you are supposed to be the Phoenix King making decisions in regards to influence. Otherwise, he's constantly being told how to behave by either Tyrion or Teclis which doesn't make sense.

that or as his chosen Super Sweet Special Advisors you're getting to advise him/occasionally take measures on the king's behalf.

"My king, I advise you spend really loving lavishly on this one. Don't worry, the treasury will cover it."
"yo dipshits that gift was compliments of Teclis. one day he will expect you to return the favor. got me? good, you got me."

makes the "an advisor has been abusing his position to pretend his words are the Phoenix King's" event particularly hilarious. get out you little poo poo, this is the twins' grift.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

StashAugustine posted:

Obviously they are going to use the DLC system to administrate the merged campaign. If you own Warhammer I you will automatically get the "Mortal Empire campaign" DLC for Warhammer II, which unlocks the merged campaign and the 4 classic faction. The DLCs will simply activate for both games from that point on, including the Blood-Patch but excluding Norsca, which will be patched in a bit later.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

this is bullshit and that will not stand

IIRC, High Elves can build a similar overpowered bullshit building in occupied Naggarond.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Zhulik posted:

That's Uncorrupted, which ironically is a type of corruption. Races without vampiric/chaos/skaven corruption get buildings that spread Uncorrupted, rather than buildings that reduce corruption like in the first game.

I am about 95% certain it worked the same way in the first game, they're just changing the presentation on it to make the math more apparent. For example, in a region with one of my unspecial Empire cities, a Vamp hero giving +2 vampire corruption, and a human hero giving -2 vampire corruption, the stable point of corruption was 40% vamp. This came from 3 points of not-corruption (cities gave 1) versus 2 points of vampire corruption. If the human hero had actually reduced vampire corruption directly, I would expect a stable point of 0% vampire corruption.

Maybe this isn't actually a correction of your idea, and we're both on the same page about the new presentation being mathematically equivalent to the old way. I do think the new way of presenting corruption is clearer.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Magni posted:

IIRC, High Elves can build a similar overpowered bullshit building in occupied Naggarond.

well poo poo now I have a reason to play a Tyrion campaign

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

thatdarnedbob posted:

I am about 95% certain it worked the same way in the first game, they're just changing the presentation on it to make the math more apparent. For example, in a region with one of my unspecial Empire cities, a Vamp hero giving +2 vampire corruption, and a human hero giving -2 vampire corruption, the stable point of corruption was 40% vamp. This came from 3 points of not-corruption (cities gave 1) versus 2 points of vampire corruption. If the human hero had actually reduced vampire corruption directly, I would expect a stable point of 0% vampire corruption.

Maybe this isn't actually a correction of your idea, and we're both on the same page about the new presentation being mathematically equivalent to the old way. I do think the new way of presenting corruption is clearer.

That's basically what I was getting at. I also prefer the new way of presenting it due to improved clarity and tooltip brevity, despite the chuckle you get when you first realize that Uncorrupted is a type of corruption.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that is how it should of been since the beginning

just another relgion from previous games

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the exact same script

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

that is how it should of been since the beginning

just another relgion from previous games

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the exact same script

wh_main_effect_religion_conversion_skaven

Exactly the same script.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Seeing a lot of talk about the warp bomb ability for Skaven and I remember seeing it when I first started playing the game last week but didn't use it, now I can't remember what unit has it. Just did a quick scan of all the heroes, lords and legendary lords and couldn't see it, unless it's not in their skill trees and only shows up in battle?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Seeing a lot of talk about the warp bomb ability for Skaven and I remember seeing it when I first started playing the game last week but didn't use it, now I can't remember what unit has it. Just did a quick scan of all the heroes, lords and legendary lords and couldn't see it, unless it's not in their skill trees and only shows up in battle?

It's an ability granted by the garrison building, works in all battles in the region.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fellblade posted:

I payed skaven first, did I ruin the rest of the factions? Playing dark elves now and my line infantry die faster than clan rats, my magic is worse, my artillery is worse, ranged might be a bit better but eh.

Might just quit this campaign and play Skrolk instead.

So this and rain horrible poison poo poo on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This weird disengagement bug is really ruining my Lizardman campaign. It wasn't very noticeable as Dark/High Elves because my front line mostly existed as a wall to protect my actual damage-dealers. As the lizards though, I have to spent the entirety of every battle staring down my units to make sure none of them are randomly backing away a few feet to go into their neutral, non-fighting formation (leaving like 3 Saurus on the edge to fend off whatever they were supposed to be attacking). It happens every ~10 seconds. Not sure I even want to continue playing the game until this is fixed because it is absolutely excruciating.