Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Authority but you won't like it because the superhumans aren't libertarians.

I enjoyed the Kev spinoff, never read the main series

e: I don't get the libertarian superhumans dig if it's a dig I don't like superhumans period

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

gettin kinda tired about how many times we're going to have armed III% fuckheads on our capitol grounds this year

i thought the legislature only met once every two years

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

guys, drinking gasoline is good for me because when you control for the population (me) i've never died from drinking gasoline

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

that sure is alot of posts complaining about CPS and family court.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

hackbunny posted:

I enjoyed the Kev spinoff, never read the main series

e: I don't get the libertarian superhumans dig if it's a dig I don't like superhumans period

The Authority is cool and good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

snoremac posted:

Baked Alaska is like a real Daxflame.

holy poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Listening to an interview with Mark Rudd, former Weather Underground.

It's pretty interesting. He makes the point that they got seduced by this theory of foco insurgency that believed "action builds a movement," which in retrospect was stupid, he says. He also says that foco put a lot of emphasis on "self-expression." Kinda feels like what the alt-right is doing sorta. They think that if they develop a vanguard (one group is literally called Vanguard) that's willing to take action and put on a big show with a lot of dash, basically expressing themselves, then a mass movement will follow.

I remember reading some stuff about foco as it relates to Che's insurgencies, and it basically said that the Cuban revolution was a broad popular movement with a widespread hatred of Batista, but Castro et al tended to overemphasize their contributions. So people decided that twelve guerillas in the mountains can topple an entire country, when you really need more widespread discontent

Dekko
May 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I remember reading some stuff about foco as it relates to Che's insurgencies, and it basically said that the Cuban revolution was a broad popular movement with a widespread hatred of Batista, but Castro et al tended to overemphasize their contributions. So people decided that twelve guerillas in the mountains can topple an entire country, when you really need more widespread discontent

This is correct.

More specifically, Cuba was absolutely ripe for a revolution and everything that could have gone right for the rebels went right. In Bolivia, on the other hand, there was no popular appetite for a revolution and every bit of bad luck went against them.

Foco looks pretty silly compared to the Mao's theory of Guerrilla warfare. It arguably still fits in with vanguard party/foco type ideas, you've just gotta spend years spreading propaganda and embedding cadres in wider society before you move onto the 'shooting people' stage. I guess the far-right in the us has been doing this kind of thing for ages but not as part of any coherent, joined-up strategy.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Mr. Sharps posted:

baked alaska is a reverse solipsist who believes that if he isnt under constant observation he will vanish from existence. thats why he streams himself 24/7

So Berkeley, but without the faith in God as the eternal observer?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

when did that finally happen in New Orleans?

alternatively when we find out the law was inexplicably passed in like 2002: when did they start enforcing it?

they passed it in like 2014 in nola, with exemptions for most of the quarter

my friends who work in fine dining were pissed. lots of "jazz and cigarettes just go together"

the ban campaign before that didn't work because they just put up a buncha billboards featuring like a bartender looking sickly in a smoke-filled room, or a lady holding a guitar, or a lady dancing on a pole, and people just went LOL WHO CARES and it failed

they only got this one passed because it explicitly exempted the strip clubs touristy parts of the city

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
[quote="“H.P. Hovercraft”" post="“477029679”"]
as a vegan idk if i can buy food at a store called “piggly wiggly”
[/quote]

piggly wiggly kicks rear end

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like fantanos music reviews, even tho he is painfully unfunny. I didn't read that article because it is so long. What's wrong with him?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oliwan posted:

I like fantanos music reviews, even tho he is painfully unfunny. I didn't read that article because it is so long. What's wrong with him?

He's a suck rear end nerd who likes middlebrow crap + memes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

the black husserl posted:

progressive activists pressured major advertisers to stop advertising on neo-nazi videos, so google and facebook are tweaking the monetization algo's in order to prevent altright channels from making fat stacks

they also tweak the algorithms to choke the reach of certain accounts so those accounts will pay $$$ to advertise ("boost" posts), and yes, they try to cultivate a certain kind of "organic" social media star while preventing established brands and networks from reaching their full audiences

middle class white people?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Race Realists posted:

middle class white people?

People who can sell poo poo to middle-class white people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

It's still not even possible to make a living on google adsense bucks without having to supplement it with a patreon account.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

He's a suck rear end nerd who likes middlebrow crap + memes

i dont agree with this, although i dont know about the memes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/915660049107779585

quote:

"The issue with Based_Brit is he's not American, he's a crypto furry—a closeted furry. He wanted to add anime and NSFW channels. But mostly for us, it's because he was so inactive. Every time we wanted to do something, he would be lazy and not implement it," Hova told me in a voice chat. "On [Centipede Central] we had mod meetings to discuss changes. He wanted to add an anime channel and other admins would constantly delete it."

Based_Brit told me that calling him a furry is "part of their smear campaign," and that he only wanted an anime channel on Centipede Central in order to sequester it away from the more serious chat channels: "If you look at the subreddit the_donald, there are a lot of right winger gamers—it's a common theme—of people who like anime. Personally, I have no issue with it," he said. "This is a channel we had in the past for a long long time. When [the anime channel] was deleted it spills into the other chats and more people get angry. So I said, 'Put it in a channel, contain it.'"

Hova and Pefimous described Based_Brit as "mad online" and say he has been banned from the new server for trying to re-recruit members to a newly remade Centipede Central (which currently has just 150 users). They told me that, though Based_Brit was the "owner" of Centipede Central, because they had administrator privileges they were able to easily stage the coup using a Discord tool called Prune, which automatically kicked 11,000 members who hadn't logged into Discord in the last 24 hours. They then manually kicked the remaining members, changed the names of the existing channels in Centipede Central. They used a bot to invite old members of Centipede Central to The Right Server, which currently has 2,300 members.

"The community was dying at a rapid rate," Pefimous said. "If we didn't do anything about it it would die. [Based_Brit] was low energy, lazy, and apathetic about Discord. We just took it all from him. We've given the community new life."

lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/21logician/status/915663361861406721

this dude is a real piece of work

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I read a little of that and couldn't make heads/tails of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I read a little of that and couldn't make heads/tails of it.

Andrew Tate is the CHUD MMA man, and in those pics he's trying to bully a cartoonist into begging him for money to save his son.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah that's the second post in the thread, the first is "your lovely kid's surgery is pocket change to me but I'll only donate if you say please" and subsequently getting told to go gently caress himself

the fundraiser met its goal anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is this the suitable thread for this tweet?

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/915670928733827072

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

turn his monitor on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
dinesh looks like he had a stroke

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ruzihm posted:

turn his monitor on

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What is the influence of the alt-right to the overall conservative movement? I know people who identified as alt-right a year or so ago but seem to deny ever saying that now - is the alt-right becoming shunned as it seems to have moved from owning SJW's into full on white nationalism? Also where did this movement come from, a singular thing or multiple things? The alt-right is confusing to me because it seems to encompass a lot of different people/groups that have some overlapping beliefs but get grouped together maybe because they promote each other?

e: also is white nationalism on the rise?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
jeet heer also has a good essay on dinesh from awhile back

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/568841331667128320

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

What is the influence of the alt-right to the overall conservative movement? I know people who identified as alt-right a year or so ago but seem to deny ever saying that now - is the alt-right becoming shunned as it seems to have moved from owning SJW's into full on white nationalism? Also where did this movement come from, a singular thing or multiple things? The alt-right is confusing to me because it seems to encompass a lot of different people/groups that have some overlapping beliefs but get grouped together maybe because they promote each other?

They say out loud what conservatives only think or say in private. They're people who in a healthier economy would just be bog-standard republicans building a career and buying a home, but without those things to occupy them and the added stress of lots of debt they marinate on 4chan all day and nourish their resentments with likeminded creeps.

The big thing they all have in common whether they're mras or racists or gamergate is entitlement and resentment of someone else for not getting what they think they were promised.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

jeet heer also has a good essay on dinesh from awhile back

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/568841331667128320

TBH him going undercover to out gay people in the 80s comes across as the single most hateful and despicable thing I've heard of any right wing pundit doing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/915685976281718784

:ohdear:

antifa is doomed for sure

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

zegermans posted:

TBH him going undercover to out gay people in the 80s comes across as the single most hateful and despicable thing I've heard of any right wing pundit doing

I watched all of his films out of some bizarre commitment to science and came out of it convinced he was either the most evil or most stupid man on the planet, I really can't think of anyone I hate more

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KyloWinter posted:

http://www.eurozine.com/the-alt-right-reactionary-rehabilitation-for-white-masculinity/

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Andrew Tate is the CHUD MMA man, and in those pics he's trying to bully a cartoonist into begging him for money to save his son.

cool normal guy that gets punched in the head for a living

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pretty sure that's the mcpoyle sister

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darkman Fanpage posted:

pretty sure that's the mcpoyle sister

is that a american kpop band?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

is that a american kpop band?

https://youtu.be/Y5pCKy5CFE8

character from its always sunny in philadelphia

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

zegermans posted:

its extremely college republican

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://youtu.be/Y5pCKy5CFE8

character from its always sunny in philadelphia

i am the worst at pop culture references, so i just guess random things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010