Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
What happened? Did Tom petty have a heart attack and fall into a coma from which he will most likely never wake?

What? No. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, he just...

(We cut to the Tom Petty concert)

There goes the Last, D, J, who p- hey I just had a heart attack and fell into a coma from which I will likely never wake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Tom Petty's beard with Paul Rust is my favorite thanks

Ahh... Very sad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Got tickets to see HDTGM live in Boston. Even if they have a terrible movie and guest, I'm super stoked they're finally doing a live show in a city I can actually reach.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Got tickets to see HDTGM live in Boston. Even if they have a terrible movie and guest, I'm super stoked they're finally doing a live show in a city I can actually reach.

Do you have your second opinions theme song ready to to?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

What's a good alternate title to the film, and what is your question?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah that was really fun to listen to. Because they are definitely right.

Gourley did it again this week, even though there wasn't actually a Credit Associates ad.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

new hwood hbook includes jason mantzoukas pimping sean into a bit he has absolutely no intention of going along with. best podcast.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cams posted:

new hwood hbook includes jason mantzoukas pimping sean into a bit he has absolutely no intention of going along with. best podcast.

Seducing/seduced by older women is a great thing to needle Sean about forever.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The most recent With Special Guest, with Besser doing a Handmaid's Tale parody, is really, really funny and dark. Can be appreciated even if you've never watched the show.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Seducing/seduced by older women is a great thing to needle Sean about forever.

oh i was specifically talking about the "sean can recite any monologue from any film he's ever seen, including the one he just mentioned that he can't remember the name of."

i didn't catch a reference to one of my favorite real personal stories i've heard on a podcast that you eluded to

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

still cringing so hard at Sean accidentally starting ISIS

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cams posted:

i didn't catch a reference to one of my favorite real personal stories i've heard on a podcast that you eluded to
Ha I guess just the general tone of the story with the nurse made me think about it. I'll have to listen again to the ep I coulda sworn there was a dropped allusion to it, but I might be mistaken.

Help Im Alive posted:

still cringing so hard at Sean accidentally starting ISIS
NICE-IS was a top tier joke I'm glad they went back to and made sure was recognized.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

GraPar posted:

The most recent With Special Guest, with Besser doing a Handmaid's Tale parody, is really, really funny and dark. Can be appreciated even if you've never watched the show.

Excellent, I really like how his first episode took the idea of WSG and really twisted it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GraPar posted:

I lost it at the part with Lapkus crying while trying to find good things to say about Arliss and The Ranch.

I haven't listened to a ton of With Special Guest, but I did like the Sex and the City episode, and the one with the women astronauts.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Was Scott Adsit ever on U Talkin' U2 To Me? My wife mentioned to me that his name is actually Robert Scott Adsit so it would be Scott Auckerman, Robert Scott Adsit, and Adam Scott.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rename podcast to No True Scotts Men.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Haha in the most recent Off Book, Besser gives Zach poo poo for calling the entrance to Narnia a closet instead of a wardrobe. This morning I happened to listen to an old I4H episode from a couple years back where Besser also called the entrance to Narnia a closet instead of a wardrobe, and someone else gave him poo poo for it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Flipping through the Sunday paper at my parents' this morning, Off Book was one of Parade Magazine's recommended podcasts in a vertical alongside their profile of Marc Maron. Show blew up fast.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
Everyone says it's good but I don't want to listen to singing.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah musical improv is basically my least favorite thing ever but people keep gushing over it and I love McKenna in other things so I'm tempted

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

the Insane Piano posted:

Everyone says it's good but I don't want to listen to singing.

This is a ridiculously wrong statement but also I agree with it 100%. Which is why I haven't listened to the show which seems like it might be comedy bang bang but with people saying aww y'know or C'mon c'mon for several minutes between jokes.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm relistening to you talking about the band u2 with me, current ep Stained Glass. What is the cameo at the end of the video for keeping the faith, which I will never watch.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Musical improv feels very short form style over substance look at this clever thing I can do to me. I'm sure the show is good but I have no interest in it at this time.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm relistening to you talking about the band u2 with me, current ep Stained Glass. What is the cameo at the end of the video for keeping the faith, which I will never watch.

Joe Piscopo.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

JethroMcB posted:

Joe Piscopo.

Good lord.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

And Richard Pryor has a completely wordless, blink-and-you-miss-it cameo right at the start.

Anyhow just some classic Scott Aukerman anticomedy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Musical improv feels very short form style over substance look at this clever thing I can do to me. I'm sure the show is good but I have no interest in it at this time.

Same. I had fun listening to their guest spots promoting the show, but haven't even listened to the first episode of it with PFT. I'll probably get around to trying it some time just out of curiosity, but I don't really have time to throw a new podcast into the rotation anyway.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Off Book definitely isn't short form, just fyi, really the opposite. Has a lot of references and callbacks between songs and in the spoken scenes. Style vs substance question a bit more debatable.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I know it isn't short form in the sense that they're doing a long narritive show but short form is often "about" doing tricks - using dating game or similar to set up your impressions, worldplay and poems, and yes singing. Like we used to do a thing where we'd get 7 words and then do a scene where we did the 7 words in order which was like technically just a Scene but actually it was about impressing the audience with how clever we were to remember the things and say them all.... I hope you understand my point...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It occasionally has the same problem as early Spont, where it's so plot heavy that you can get lost if you're not paying total attention.

The songs serve the same function that they do in most musicals: either move the plot along, give some insight into the characters, or occasionally just be a bit of fun nonsense. They essentially act as a vehicle to move the plot forward, add some new elements, and keep it from staying in one place for too long. It works really well.

But if you just can't stand musicals then it's not going to be for you regardless.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I absolutely hate musicals, but Off Book is incredible. Listen to the Drew Tarver episode, it's the best one so far. Starts a little slow, but the 2nd half rivals any funny podcast I've ever listened to. Jess McKenna is the best.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 10, 2017

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

ArtVandelay posted:

I absolutely hate musicals, but Off Book is incredible...

I've seen a few people say this here and elsewhere and I get why, but honestly: if you like Off Book, there will definitely be some musicals you will like a lot. Sondheim is probably the person they take from most in the show, and McKenna in particular is an obsessive of him, so he's a good starting point.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GraPar posted:

I've seen a few people say this here and elsewhere and I get why, but honestly: if you like Off Book, there will definitely be some musicals you will like a lot. Sondheim is probably the person they take from most in the show, and McKenna in particular is an obsessive of him, so he's a good starting point.

The big difference for me is that Off Book is improvised by comedians, so everything is aimed at humor. In musicals that isn't generally the case.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm not generally a big musical fan. There's occasionally one that I can get into, but for the most part they're just not my thing. Off Book works for me because I love longform improv, and the nature of having to come up with songs on the fly means that in order to fit a rhyme scheme or just out of pure panic, the performers are going to make big "choices" and then work hard to justify them - and the other performers are going to have to work hard to support them. It ends up being totally madcap but never gets into random wacky territory, and it forces performers to flex muscles that they don't get to a lot of the time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 10, 2017

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I'm not generally a big musical fan. There's occasionally one that I can get into, but for the most part they're just not my thing. Off Book works for me because I love longform improv, and the nature of having to come up with songs on the fly means that in order to fit a rhyme scheme or just out of pure panic, the performers are going to make big "choices" and then work hard to justify them - and the other performers are going to have to work hard to support them. It ends up being totally madcap but never gets into random wacky territory, and it forces performers to flex muscles that they don't get to a lot of the time.

Okay I'm going to try it then.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Let me also say, todays Off Book is actually the most cohesive episode, and definitely the best so far. Even better than the Drew Tarver episode. Doesn't hurt that Nicole Parker has an incredible voice and is very funny.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hollywood Handbook was great today!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I really like McKenna - can't stand the podcast. I was bummed after listening to it for a few EPs because I hoped her show would be more to my liking.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Hollywood Handbook was great today!

Yup YUP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Where's the echo?

Poor Kevin, "...creep" really is the autofill when you type his name into Google.