Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Calaveron posted:

The new earbuds are compatible with the regular pixel XL 1 right

They are just overpriced BT earbuds bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Someone remind me how AMOLED and the other one are different? One has better blacks and less power right?

AMOLED and POLED are just marketing terms. They are pretty much going to be the same thing; both are OLED panels using an active matrix and a plastic substrate.

This talks about how OLED panels are built:
http://www.androidauthority.com/poled-vs-amoled-792869/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Don Lapre posted:

They are just overpriced BT earbuds bro

With on the go translator

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Calaveron posted:

With on the go translator

Pretty sure thats all done on the phone

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can I use my $100 Pen with my $1000 phone?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The specs for the screens do differ a little on the spec sheet, but should still be really good either choice.

What I don't get is what's the difference between the 3D Glass vs the 2.5D glass. If they both have curved edges, then wouldn't they just both be 2.5D or is the XL2 doing a Samsung curve on its edge?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Kinda Blue looks great, but too bad it's only available in 64GB and is a Verizon variant.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Any clues when we can expect reviews? I'd assume the big sites have em before the phones ship?

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006
If I'm on vzw and committed to buying this new dumb rectangle there's no reason to not get the Verizon one, right? It's still in stock.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm liking the LG V30 at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Estimated Canadian availability date for the XL 2 is December lol

Not even going to bother preordering.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Twain of Pain posted:

If I'm on vzw and committed to buying this new dumb rectangle there's no reason to not get the Verizon one, right? It's still in stock.

With the pixels last year the Verizon version had its bootloader locked, while the unlocked one didn't.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

The specs for the screens do differ a little on the spec sheet, but should still be really good either choice.

What I don't get is what's the difference between the 3D Glass vs the 2.5D glass. If they both have curved edges, then wouldn't they just both be 2.5D or is the XL2 doing a Samsung curve on its edge?

Guessing the xl has a more pronounced curve and maybe even some of it on the display area where the pixel 2 just rolls off at the edge.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is all loving stupid. I refuse to buy a phone that hasn't direct support from the entity writing the operating system. And I don't want an Apple device. I really hope it starts showing up with third party retailers soon enough. Hope my Nexus 5X still makes it up to that point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tmobile paying $325 in a gift card if you bring a pixel 2/xl to their service. Requires opening a new line, good for new or existing customers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

Tmobile paying $325 in a gift card if you bring a pixel 2/xl to their service. Requires opening a new line, good for new or existing customers.

I would definitely pre-order then since if you combine this with the $400 I'd get for my Pixel 1 XL, it's getting close to free.

Unfortunately Tmobile's service sucks everywhere I go.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

3D glass is when the actual usable area of the screen is curved. 2.5D is when the edges of the glass finish in a curve rather than a sharp edge. 2.5D has been around for a long time and is the reason why you can't get tempered glass screen protectors to fit without the halo effect.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

On the Pixel 2 tech specs page. Camera bump confirmed :saddowns:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Through Fi or through the store, still can't order an XL and do a trade in. Both error out. Good job Google.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What's the screen to body ratio on the 5" Pixel 2? 5" including the bezels or is that just the usable screen space?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Sooo open line, get rebate in like two months, cancel line? Am current customer, on nice grandfathered plan with two lines that I don't want to change.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Apparently Google is also stopping unlimited original quality storage for all Pixel phones in 2020 lol.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Sooo open line, get rebate in like two months, cancel line? Am current customer, on nice grandfathered plan with two lines that I don't want to change.

Correct. they say up to 8 weeks. Then you can cancel the line.

Its gotta be tmobile one or simple choice unlimited though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I'll do the Pixel 2 when they are BOGO on Verizon. So, Thanksgiving?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

What's the screen to body ratio on the 5" Pixel 2? 5" including the bezels or is that just the usable screen space?

~67.9%

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Internet Explorer posted:

Through Fi or through the store, still can't order an XL and do a trade in. Both error out. Good job Google.
I was able to do it earlier.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

vyst posted:

Apparently Google is also stopping unlimited original quality storage for all Pixel phones in 2020 lol.
You mean all Pixel 1? If you buy a Pixel 2, it'll get extended, right?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm an apple person looking to maybe switch to Android. I have a 6s and I really want a bigger, oled screen. I also use headphones a lot so courage phones are not good for me I don't think. I thought I'd be blown away by pixel 2 but it doesn't seem that amazing honestly. The V30 seems like it might be the only phone out there without serious compromises, at least on paper. What is the consensus?

It's been a long time since I've been on Android, did they fix the issues with scroll stuttering and touch delay? Also is there support for 3 button headsets? I really like being able to control volume, pause, skip/back, and activate Siri without taking the phone out of my pocket.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

You mean all Pixel 1? If you buy a Pixel 2, it'll get extended, right?

No, Pixel 2 will also stop giving you free originals in 2020 as well. Essentially, my guess is they are going to give phones "life cycle access to free original picture taking storage" - so your stuff will stay saved in original resolution forever but your new stuff will be saved in high quality

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

vyst posted:

No, Pixel 2 will also stop giving you free originals in 2020 as well. Essentially, my guess is they are going to give phones "life cycle access to free original picture taking storage" - so your stuff will stay saved in original resolution forever but your new stuff will be saved in high quality

And by then you'll have bought the Pixel 5 and that will include full resolution backup too so as long as you keep buying Google phones you won't notice a hiccup.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Gonna hold my Nexus 6P for another year. Nothing really wowing me for the price. Might as well stay with it until the security updates stop coming.

Also the Kinda Blue is bad. Regular blue or dark blue phones please.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm an apple person looking to maybe switch to Android. I have a 6s and I really want a bigger, oled screen. I also use headphones a lot so courage phones are not good for me I don't think. I thought I'd be blown away by pixel 2 but it doesn't seem that amazing honestly. The V30 seems like it might be the only phone out there without serious compromises, at least on paper. What is the consensus?

It's been a long time since I've been on Android, did they fix the issues with scroll stuttering and touch delay? Also is there support for 3 button headsets? I really like being able to control volume, pause, skip/back, and activate Siri without taking the phone out of my pocket.

No one has a Pixel 2 yet, but the V30 will likely be worse that the P2.

Particularly if you're sensitive to jank in scrolling and the like. To this day a year after it's release the Pixel 1, in objective measurements, is way less janky than other flagship.

edit: hanky is obviously not the same thing as janky

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

OhFunny posted:

Gonna hold my Nexus 6P for another year. Nothing really wowing me for the price. Might as well stay with it until the security updates stop coming.

Also the Kinda Blue is bad. Regular blue or dark blue phones please.

The biggest feature of the Pixels aren't advertised. They just run smoothly and never stutter, rarely crash, and don't need to be rebooted often. Pixel 1 or 2 completely blow a 6p out the water. Its the consistency and smoothness you get out of iPhones. You are probably best getting the Pixel used off swappa or somewhere after the Pixel 2 ships a bit. It'll be dirt cheap.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Thermopyle posted:

No one has a Pixel 2 yet, but the V30 will likely be worse that the P2.

Particularly if you're sensitive to jank in scrolling and the like. To this day a year after it's release the Pixel 1, in objective measurements, is way less hanky than other flagship.

That + Camera is the only reason I'm buying this ungodly expensive phone.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I've been getting sick of janitoring my phone for years so I really can't wait to get the Pixel. Expecting to get inordinately frustrated with my current phone and its jank leading up to the delivery date

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Not one peep on whether or not the Pixel Buds are Bluetooth 5.0. That's super important for me because I bike through a billion traffic signals on my 45-min path to work and each one knocks out any of my Bluetooth 4.0 earbuds, along with cross-body interference.

Guess I'll just get the Zolo when those launch.

John Legere is one of maybe 3 CEOs I actually appreciate.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heading over to the Soho google donut mini place. Any goons heading there?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm like 70% sure they said BT 5.0 during the event...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I missed the reveal, but has anybody posted a diff between the Pixel 1 and 2? I've got a 128GB Pixel XL that I've had since launch and I'm not seeing a whole lot that's compelling about the 2 over what I already have. 700 MHz support would be nice, but my service is generally fine on T-Mobile. Other than that, I'm thinking I'll pass on this one and wait until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I missed the reveal, but has anybody posted a diff between the Pixel 1 and 2? I've got a 128GB Pixel XL that I've had since launch and I'm not seeing a whole lot that's compelling about the 2 over what I already have. 700 MHz support would be nice, but my service is generally fine on T-Mobile. Other than that, I'm thinking I'll pass on this one and wait until next year.

TBH, I don't think there's a real compelling reason to upgrade from a Pixel 1.