Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Check out Hell or High Water if you like Ben Foster, he and Bridges carry that movie of their backs.

Foster is also uber-creepy in Hostage a forgotten thriller starring Bruce Willis. I remember seeing that movie, having no clue who Foster was, but he was by far the most memorable thing about it. Typical sign of a great character actor, which is what he's turned out to be. No shame in that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Alpha Dog also has the late great Harry Dean Stanton and Bruce Willis in another one of those rare actually trying and proving again why he's a good actor roles.

BIZORT posted:

It's not good at all but kind of a guilty pleasure.

What's the beef with Bully, anyway? It's harsh and sensationalist, but it's a very well made film.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

fishtobaskets posted:

I researched Alpha Dog when it was mentioned in this thread a few days ago and was surprised to see the reviews were kind of tepid when it came out. I remember it as a career high for several of the players: Emile Hirsch, Justin Timberlake, Anton Yelchin, Shawn Hatosy, and holy gently caress Ben Foster was a force of nature.

I think about that movie sometimes when I wonder why Ben Foster isn't a megastar. Alpha Dog and 3:10 to Yuma came out at about the same time and it seemed like he was incredibly gifted.

This 100%.

I thought Timberlake was fantastic and have enjoyed seeing him in stuff like Trouble With the Curve.

But Ben Foster... gently caress yeah. I instantly became a fan of his for that performance alone and thought we'd see more of him. He did do that kind of bland sci-fi thing with Dennis Quaid (?) Pandora I think it was but the other films mentioned have been quite good.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 3, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

What's the beef with Bully, anyway? It's harsh and sensationalist, but it's a very well made film.

I think a lot of it is people just love to hate Larry Clark, despite the fact that he's made three flawless films (the other two being Kids and Wassup Rockers)

In fact right now America's in a great place to revisit Wassup Rockers. I think I'mma rewatch it again tonight

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

I think a lot of it is people just love to hate Larry Clark, despite the fact that he's made three flawless films (the other two being Kids and Wassup Rockers)

In fact right now America's in a great place to revisit Wassup Rockers. I think I'mma rewatch it again tonight

The last of his movies I saw was Marfa Girl, and while it was artsy fartsy trash, I thought it was pretty exciting and still unconventional artsy fartsy trash.

I've still only seen that, Kids, Bully, and Ken Park, though, so I really need to do some more catch up with Clark's films.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ben Foster is so good. I've always liked him and am continually amazed he hasn't had a more prominent career. Even back in Freaks and Geeks he had something special going on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

I think a lot of it is people just love to hate Larry Clark

*looks at filmography*

*sees that it's almost entirely about teen sexuality, and mostly fairly explicit teen sexuality*

GEE I WONDER WHY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like Larry Clark has made some genuinely important movies- even if Kids sucked, it would be noteworthy for the impact it had- but let's not pretend for one second that he's not insanely creepy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like Larry Clark has made some genuinely important movies- even if Kids sucked, it would be noteworthy for the impact it had- but let's not pretend for one second that he's not insanely creepy

I legitimately don't think that has any bearing on whether his movies are good though. Because they are very good.

Same rules apply to: Harmony Korrine, David Fincher, Quentin Tarantino, Alfred Hitchcock, etc etc etc.

Until Larry Clark gets convicted of a crime or pulls a Woody Allen, I'm not gonna feel bad about enjoying his work. Because it's great

Have you seen Wassup Rockers? While it has a quite brief scene of teen sexuality, that scene is textually about class and race, and the rest of the film has no element of sexuality whatsoever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No element of sexuality whatsoever, you say about the movie that's like half leering shots of shirtless Latino teenagers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's about Latino punk rock skateboarders in LA. If they weren't frequently shirtless, it would be bizarre.

But hey man, you don't have to like it. Just like, sometimes a shirtless skateboarder is just a shirtless skateboarder. :shrug:

e: also it's on YouTube, third result if you Google it, for anyone who wants to see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

It's about Latino punk rock skateboarders in LA. If they weren't frequently shirtless, it would be bizarre.

But hey man, you don't have to like it. Just like, sometimes a shirtless skateboarder is just a shirtless skateboarder. :shrug:

e: also it's on YouTube, third result if you Google it, for anyone who wants to see it.

I actually do like Wassup Rockers. Like, I'm not trying to say that Clark is a bad director, it just shouldn't even remotely baffle you that he gets constantly clowned on for being a weird crypto-pedo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

It's literally just that Larry Clark is an out and proud pederast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually do like Wassup Rockers. Like, I'm not trying to say that Clark is a bad director, it just shouldn't even remotely baffle you that he gets constantly clowned on for being a weird crypto-pedo.

Oh it doesn't baffle me, I understand why people think that about most of his films, I just shrug it off. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I've got one episode to go with The Vietnam War on PBS. It's probably the best work Burns has done since The Civil War.

I'm ever so slowly watching it. Fuckin thing is like 400 hours long.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm ever so slowly watching it. Fuckin thing is like 400 hours long.

I burned through it really fast. It completely felt like 9 or 10 hours, rather than 18. And never felt slow to me. Just everything that happened was fascinating.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He was given the task of remaking a Roger Corman movie and still turned it into skinny half-naked teens lounging around. The guy can't turn it off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

I burned through it really fast. It completely felt like 9 or 10 hours, rather than 18. And never felt slow to me. Just everything that happened was fascinating.

I heard it glosses over a lot of civilian casualty stuff. Is that true?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know if it glossed over anything, but there are a couple episodes where that's a major focus, so I doubt it left too much out if anything. It definitely goes over the main stuff in that regard.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Only in the same way most documentaries will focus more on the great tragedy of a company of American soldiers ambushed, and oh by the way tens of thousands of civilians were massacred in a free fire zone. It does better than most about talking to Vietnamese sources, covering the scale of the tragedy on the other side, and not defending the civilian deaths too much, but it is also very clearly an American focused film - which being produced by Americans, isn't too surprising.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Speaking of Vietnam, did it just go behind a paywall?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Kanopy is the best. Check your university or your local library to see how you can get access. That is all.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've been going through a bunch of HBO shows. Am I missing anything good?

I've seen a while ago:

Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
Eastbound And Down
Band of Brothers
Half of The Pacific

And recently:
Deadwood
Rome
Westworld
Oz
Silicon Valley

I just finished Oz. If I can't find anything new I think I might just do Band of Brothers again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think Treme is the most overlooked show that HBO has ever done. It is a David Simon show (you know the guy who did The Wire). The acting and writing all great. Plus I loved the music.

Speaking of Simon, Generation Kill is amazing. As a Marine it is a very accurate representation of how Marines talk and act. Plus it might be funniest show David Simon will ever do. It along with Band of Brothers are the HBO shows I rewatch the most.

Boardwalk Empire is really good, and at times as good as the best of HBO.

The Leftovers I loved, but it seems to be a polarizing show. I didn't mind season 1 (it was good, but not great), but season 2 was A+ (season 3 was great too).

Flight of The Conchords? I remember really liking it 10 years ago, and I would guess it would still hold up.

Finally I really liked Carnivale despite it's pacing issues. That said it does end after 2 seasons.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Curb Your Enthusiasm and, going back a bit, the Larry Sanders Show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Vice Principals

It's from the same guys who did Eastbound and Down.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Insecure is the best recent HBO show.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Speaking of Vietnam, did it just go behind a paywall?

It did and that really sucks.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The Leftovers for HBO shows

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I surprisingly really enjoyed Nick Kroll's new animated show, Big Mouth. It's got some pretty awkward moments, but the writing is good and the show does have really funny moments and some self reflection. Good voice cast and guest stars as well.

The hormone demon reflecting back and regretting the previous incident with Garrison Keillor's severed head was great. And the stinger at the very end of the season.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I've seen a while ago:

Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
Eastbound And Down
Band of Brothers
Half of The Pacific

And recently:
Deadwood
Rome
Westworld
Oz
Silicon Valley

I just finished Oz. If I can't find anything new I think I might just do Band of Brothers again.

From your list I'm assuming you're purposefully avoiding Game of Thrones, so instead I'm going to going to toss out a rec for Bored To Death.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

From your list I'm assuming you're purposefully avoiding Game of Thrones, so instead I'm going to going to toss out a rec for Bored To Death.

Oh hell yeah, Bored To Death is amazing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

Just forgot about it. I watch it as it airs.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Oh hell yeah, Bored To Death is amazing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Enlightened is an odd duck but I liked it a lot. Great cast.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Gerald's Game ending I really thought she was writing to her mom or sister, and then weirdly twisted it.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

If you don't mind 'mean' comedy, then Veep is great. It's wall-to-wall terrible people laying into each other.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Asnorban posted:

Ben Foster is so good. I've always liked him and am continually amazed he hasn't had a more prominent career. Even back in Freaks and Geeks he had something special going on.

whoa I had no idea he was in freaks and geeks!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think my first experience with Ben Foster was in Six Feet Under. After seeing him in movies like Hell or High Water it is hard to imagine he played Russell, the sensitive bi art student in SFU. Speak to what a great actors he is.

Also didn't realize he was engaged twice to Robin Wright, and is now engaged to Laura Prepon. Not bad, not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to whoever recommended Tin Star. While there were a handful of scenes that I thought were really emotionally manipulative, on the whole it was very watchable. Tim Roth is extremely Tim Roth-y, and the trick they pull with the show's morality compass is relatively believable and impressive.