Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Also, learn about unity gain and gain staging. LOTS of venues and bars even do this wrong. For example , the Pioneer mixers have the weirdest gain staging ever. There is no labelled unity on the channel gain knobs, and on the master knob it seems to be at like 3o'clock (this sort of makes sense if you look at the labelling like you would at that of a FOH board''s linear fader). What's worse is that the master knob is tied to its cue level... Few things are more frustrating than jumping into a DJM900 with the master turned down and not being able to hear anything in your headphones. There are obviously workarounds but that's one thing that really bugs me about the Pioneer gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are there any Traktor remix deck, uh, crates I guess, that are just full of one-shots of the quintessential MC and SFX samples? You know, like the air horn, 'drat son where'd you find this', etc,.?

I've got a party gig coming up (not my usual bag but I'm trying to branch out and not just be a D&B DJ) and I'd like to run some samples to make genre transitions and stuff more interesting. I've put a lot of work into cataloguing music I don't usually play and would just like a simple solution for sample dropping.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I can send you some samples that I have so you can make your own remix decks. I have all the classic stuff and then some that I made.

edit: have at it https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xqv41jn31memyb/AAB2dGja33H_C_nW-HXzXa_Da?dl=0

keevo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 18, 2017

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Dj'ing a backyard party for around 30 people tonight that gonna be drunk and what not so I'm excited to just mess around with multiple genres and experiment with transitions because they'll forget about the bad ones in minutes :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If you do it somewhat competently everyone will get to you at 3AM and tell you in slurred speech that you're the best goddamn DJ ever.

That feels pretty great.

Also, here's an idea I had but I don't know if it exists or if anyone'd care: you have two tracks that work really well together. Instead of just sorting by BPM + pitch, you could make a religion website out of this I guess with user submissions and rating, kind of like an unholy combination of Genius and WhoSampled or something.

Then you'd have https://soundcloud.com/nonplayablerecords/this-shouldnt-work-why-does-it-work and https://soundcloud.com/buttstunts/in-the-end-all-star-but-in-reverse and it could all be searchable!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you do it somewhat competently everyone will get to you at 3AM and tell you in slurred speech that you're the best goddamn DJ ever.

That feels pretty great.

Also, here's an idea I had but I don't know if it exists or if anyone'd care: you have two tracks that work really well together. Instead of just sorting by BPM + pitch, you could make a religion website out of this I guess with user submissions and rating, kind of like an unholy combination of Genius and WhoSampled or something.

Then you'd have https://soundcloud.com/nonplayablerecords/this-shouldnt-work-why-does-it-work and https://soundcloud.com/buttstunts/in-the-end-all-star-but-in-reverse and it could all be searchable!

I know it's not Best Practices but I usually put the original sample sources / pastiches / covers in the song title. So for example if I search for "be my baby" it'll give me back that and "take me home tonight" (great combo for your 3am backyard party fwiw)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I know it's not Best Practices but I usually put the original sample sources / pastiches / covers in the song title. So for example if I search for "be my baby" it'll give me back that and "take me home tonight" (great combo for your 3am backyard party fwiw)

Oh man what a song. Downloading that one immediately.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

That's what I use Traktor's Comment fields for. I don't know if there are Best Practices per se, I guess only Worst Practices like "end up with half a dozen copies of a track because you export a mix and need two versions with different cue points or w/e".

Or things like "open Billie Jean in Ableton Live and put all the beatmarkers in the correct place because Leon "Ndugu" Chancler didn't use a click track" (hahaha idgaf)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Played for two hours, mixed it up a lot and had a blast, only one sloppy transition but sure enough people were chatting and doing their own thing all over, which kind of bummed me out but I was having fun and thought overall it went well switching from house to hip hop and trap and back.

At the end out of nowhere everyone was coming up sad that I stopped and said it was awesome and wanted to know if I would do some of their other parties, go figure.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah comments field probably the correct place to do it. I started not using it because back before Serato had the "Key' ID3 tag showing, I was using Mixed In Key to write over the comments with the thing. Anyway whatever.

Need a :goonproject: to build a relational database for my bar singalongs

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Since I already use the comments field 1 for track descriptions/mnemonics and comments field 2 for beat type (eg 4/4, 3/4, Breaks), I ended up using "catalog no." for that :)

I also use the star rating system for energy level within genre context, since all the tracks I wanna play are 4 or 5 stars anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

keevo posted:

I can send you some samples that I have so you can make your own remix decks. I have all the classic stuff and then some that I made.

edit: have at it https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xqv41jn31memyb/AAB2dGja33H_C_nW-HXzXa_Da?dl=0

I grabbed these too, thanks. Trying to be less lazy about learning again, and putting airhorns over everything is always a fun way to end a night of messing about.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/directmusic/status/896129562748133376

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

What’s not to get? It’s a turntable that can’t play records and will only work with Serato because of the motorized platter :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think that's a photoshop from the DJTechTools forum, or I've seen something very much like that there. People have been asking for something like that since the horrible Technics CD players.

The mixer is definitely real though, they gave one to the US DMC winner last week.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2017

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Well the 72 mixer is 100% real so I'm inclined to believe that's real. It's a strange product to put out, especially since you can't use it on its own via USB drives. Numark did something like this a while back and it never caught on (but it's also Numark).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They're both real and the pricing is reasonably competitive:

The Seventy Two is $1899 which is a lot but is only $200 more than the Pioneer S9 it's clearly meant to replace.

The Twelve is $799 which is also a lot but it's in the ballpark of a super OEM turntable and a decent cartridge. Not sure about the touch strip cue points, I think most people will stick to using the ones on the mixer.

I think the thing about both of these is they leave room for other products both above and below them, like a smaller version of the Twelve or a 4-channel version of the mixer.

There's also two new cheaper Roland all-in-one controllers for Serato so it looks like it's Pioneer vs. everyone else on Serato [and deep in a Berlin basement I guess someone's probably still working on Traktor and wondering why nobody loves stems as much as they do].

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Every time new scratch/battle gear gets released it makes me wish I cared about scratching or battle DJing. I'd like to try out the Twelve... just the tip, just to see how it feels... but I think I'd rather save some dosh for a pair of those new Denon players.

Question about the iTunes integration in Traktor, in case any of you find yourselves using it: I usually keep a smaller Traktor library, mostly D&B and bass music, and rely on the iTunes Library pane for more generic party gigs. Both of these libraries are getting up in size though (32,500 in iTunes, 18,700 in Traktor) and loading has gotten slow. Traktor stands on 'Updating Settings Files' for longer than I'd like, and last time I played out the iTunes integration just straight-up would not load, at least it hadn't when I checked on it again two hours into my set.

I recall there being some sort of fix for the 'Updating Settings Files' issue - something about deleting or renaming the Traktor Settings file? Is there a similar fix I can try that will get the iTunes integration working?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Try the S9 with the Denon players. You can scratch/juggle on CDJs/Denons but it's hard to scratch on a mixer with a lovely fader.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I just moved to a new town a month ago that has a bit more of a scene of what im into (uk bass music, reggae, etc) and I've been going to shows and making some connections. I went to a dub reggae night hosted by a vinly only guy on a local soundsystem, and he was supposed to have another guy come to headline but the other guy never showed and they couldnt get ahold of any cdjs or controllers (it was the night of the mcgregor/mayweather fight)
I headed home early during this and I got a call asking if I wanted to play for a bit so the host could get a break. I stuffed a bunch of records in my bag and ran back and got to play an hour set at peak time. I've never played an all vinyl set at a club before and or on a sound system so powerful so I had a few fuckups, but overall I had a great time and the crowd seemed to love it. The sound system guys and the host all liked me and said theyd definitely like to have me out again. It's kind of surreal...it's 2017 and i managed to get a gig just by being the only guy in town with records lol

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

titty_baby_ posted:

I just moved to a new town a month ago that has a bit more of a scene of what im into (uk bass music, reggae, etc) and I've been going to shows and making some connections. I went to a dub reggae night hosted by a vinly only guy on a local soundsystem, and he was supposed to have another guy come to headline but the other guy never showed and they couldnt get ahold of any cdjs or controllers (it was the night of the mcgregor/mayweather fight)
I headed home early during this and I got a call asking if I wanted to play for a bit so the host could get a break. I stuffed a bunch of records in my bag and ran back and got to play an hour set at peak time. I've never played an all vinyl set at a club before and or on a sound system so powerful so I had a few fuckups, but overall I had a great time and the crowd seemed to love it. The sound system guys and the host all liked me and said theyd definitely like to have me out again. It's kind of surreal...it's 2017 and i managed to get a gig just by being the only guy in town with records lol

This is an awesome story and congrats man! That is no small task playing an all-vinyl set for your first time on the fly like that so well done. Definitely keep posting if you get any other gigs.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

That is awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah that's legit.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I've been thinking about getting a set of decks for a while now and I figure I only need a 2 channel mixer with some effects. I'm not looking to completely break the bank here, this is only because I really enjoy music and would like to mess around with it. I don't really plan on playing gigs or having this take off. My friend recommended I start with the Traktor S2. Wondered what you guys thought about it, if you guys thought that was the best option in that price range and what are the good alternatives in a lower price range (just to see what the cost is getting me).

Side note, I'd probably be playing off my non macbook laptop and won't be spending money on one anytime soon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought an s2 off a guy here, I use it full time as a soundcard to power my monitors and mess about with it now and again.

It's a fun piece of kit, but it's a fair amount different to a full turntable and mixer combo. The benefits are that it's small and light, and definitely a cheaper investment. It's definitely worth considering if you're wading into this stuff for the first time, buy one second hand in good condition and you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it if you find it either gathers dust or suddenly you get the itch to poo poo out a whole ton of money on better gear.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I bought an s2 off a guy here, I use it full time as a soundcard to power my monitors and mess about with it now and again.

It's a fun piece of kit, but it's a fair amount different to a full turntable and mixer combo. The benefits are that it's small and light, and definitely a cheaper investment. It's definitely worth considering if you're wading into this stuff for the first time, buy one second hand in good condition and you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it if you find it either gathers dust or suddenly you get the itch to poo poo out a whole ton of money on better gear.

Yeah of course. But I don't think I'm envisioning getting a turntable anytime soon. I don't collect vinyls nor do I plan on venturing in that in the near future.

On a side note, how robust is it? I'm always a bit hesitant on buying second hand for that reason especially from complete strangers as I don't want it to crap out on me shortly after acquisition. Although if any of you goons do have an S2 that you'd like to sell I could be tempted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, the wording of decks rather than controller made it sound like you were weighing up turntables also. Gotcha now.

I think the build quality of the S2 is decent enough given it's the budget entry. Mine was sent in a gig bag in a box with no extra padding and it came out fine. They're designed knowing people move them around so they're not super fragile, but the higher end models have better quality finishes. And the extra weight that comes with that.

There's quite a good video on YouTube that compares the s2, s4, s5, and s8. I think it's under djtechtools and the guy hosting it I believe was there when they designed the original s4. Worth a watch at least.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh if you buy the S2 make sure you get the previous owner to email Native Instruments and free up the Traktor license, just unregistering a computer won't do it [speaking from experience]. It was a fun decent controller but I didn't like the jogs much but if you're not trying to learn to scratch on them you should be fine.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Knowlue posted:

I've been thinking about getting a set of decks for a while now and I figure I only need a 2 channel mixer with some effects. I'm not looking to completely break the bank here, this is only because I really enjoy music and would like to mess around with it. I don't really plan on playing gigs or having this take off. My friend recommended I start with the Traktor S2. Wondered what you guys thought about it, if you guys thought that was the best option in that price range and what are the good alternatives in a lower price range (just to see what the cost is getting me).

Side note, I'd probably be playing off my non macbook laptop and won't be spending money on one anytime soon.

I literally bought an S2 for pretty much the same reason you are describing here. I had no intention of "playing gigs" with it and mostly wanted it to fool around with because I enjoy curating music. It really has everything you could want in a beginner controller and I would definitely recommend it. At this point I have done a bunch of mini-mixes and played a couple gigs for friends that have worked out great. I really like the quality of NI products and find the interface/buttons to be clean and responsive and for the price, I am very happy with it.

It looks like Pioneer has a model of controller that looks to be the competitor for the S2. It's called the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 and honestly looks very similar to the Traktor S2 in terms of layout and features at a quick glance. It uses Serato (instead of traktor) and is actually a decent amount cheaper than the S2 which makes me wonder about the quality. I have never tried one but wanted to provide an alternative.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, the wording of decks rather than controller made it sound like you were weighing up turntables also. Gotcha now.

yeah my bad

qirex posted:

Oh if you buy the S2 make sure you get the previous owner to email Native Instruments and free up the Traktor license, just unregistering a computer won't do it [speaking from experience]. It was a fun decent controller but I didn't like the jogs much but if you're not trying to learn to scratch on them you should be fine.

good point right here

MrSargent posted:

It looks like Pioneer has a model of controller that looks to be the competitor for the S2. It's called the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 and honestly looks very similar to the Traktor S2 in terms of layout and features at a quick glance. It uses Serato (instead of traktor) and is actually a decent amount cheaper than the S2 which makes me wonder about the quality. I have never tried one but wanted to provide an alternative.

I'll look into this thanks.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
If you can afford it I would definitely try and snipe a cheap S5 off eBay, it's super powerful

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Well I ended up get an s4 plus flightcase for 450 cad. The condition of it is really drat good

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Knowlue posted:

Well I ended up get an s4 plus flightcase for 450 cad. The condition of it is really drat good

Really jealous as I purchased my S2 new (like an idiot) and only spent $50 less with no case. Enjoy the S4 man, having two extra channels is definitely something I have wanted on more than one occasion.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Really jealous as I purchased my S2 new (like an idiot) and only spent $50 less with no case. Enjoy the S4 man, having two extra channels is definitely something I have wanted on more than one occasion.

That and the filter knob

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think 5 years of grieving the loss of my 1210s is enough so I’m gonna order a ddj-sr2 tomorrow and get back into the game.
Or is there currently a better choice in that price range for Serato? I’d probably never use 4 channels anyways and being able to hook up TTs or CDJs at a later point makes it sound like a great choice to start spending money on gear again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone here have much experience with RekordBuddy 2.0? I used to rely heavily on 1.0 but a couple of months ago it became incompatible with the latest Rekordbox release, and started making GBS threads the bed - beat grids copying improperly, mostly. I finally upgraded to 2.0 but it isn't finding any of my new music - anything added since November 2nd, which is curiously right around when 1.0 started being a problem. I've tried resetting the database multiple times, uninstalled 1.0, still no joy. Wondering, is there's some cache file left over somewhere in my system from 1.0 that's confusing the software, or something?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

the panacea posted:

I think 5 years of grieving the loss of my 1210s is enough so I’m gonna order a ddj-sr2 tomorrow and get back into the game.
Or is there currently a better choice in that price range for Serato? I’d probably never use 4 channels anyways and being able to hook up TTs or CDJs at a later point makes it sound like a great choice to start spending money on gear again.

I thought that I made a bad decision getting something with only 2-channels but after DJing a few times, I realized it would be RARE when I ever wanted to use more than two. The bigger issue for me with getting the Traktor S2 over the S4 is that I didn't realize the S2 doesn't have a dedicated Filter knob per channel. you basically have to take up 1 Effects Channel (on each side if you want them to be separated) with a Filter which blows and its really out of place for a knob that sees decent amount of use. Looks like the DDJ-SR2 has a filter per channel and every review I have read looks pretty solid.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Just saw this thing on reddit and it reminded me of you guys
https://www.reddit.com/r/specializedtools/comments/7rvcrw/tape_down_your_cables/

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so i’m jumping in on this. i’ve done vinyl dj’ing for years but i lost all of my records and gear in hurricane sandy in 2012 and i’ve been too heartbroken to start over. it’s breathtaking how affordable it is to do digital now compared to when I was buying gear in 2007.

so yeah. i downloaded traktor but i’ve been a lazy gently caress and i havent had a personal mp3 library in years because i’ve been using apple music so I have to get to downloading. i’m happy to pay for some music but are we still scouring blogs for content?

i’ve always been a harmonic guy and it seems like you can do crazy poo poo with metadata and it seems leaps and bounds over my old notebook and writing on sleeves system.

where are some good guides to traktor? it seems like a used x1 control surface is in my future. i’m mostly going to be playing house parties once I get my legs under me so i’m not fussy about gear. is there something else comparable I should check out for controllers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

If you’re willing to try something else, download the Serato program and check it out. There are a ton of controllers made by Pioneer that are for the most part solid.