Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Anyone ever want to see Jordan Peterson lament that he can't punch women who disagree with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3Hrwg3A3w

My 2 cents: He's trying to get fired from UofT / be a freeze peach martyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was reading this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/charged-violence-peterborough-anti-racism-rally-1.4315839

And its pretty standard in the way that Police treats loving Nazis and Anti-facists as being the same but this line

Peterborough Police Chief Rodd posted:

"But it also provided ample footage to identify who potentially could be paid, professional antagonists and representatives of various factions of hate and we will analyze it all."

Gotta love when your Police Chief is repeating Alex Jones theories.

Police are garbage.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Not much has changed since cable street. Cops are bastards

quote:

"I had a great opinion of the police until then. Our local copper was a friendly man; he knew everyone. But when I saw the baton charges, I changed my mind there and then. It seemed to me they were doing the work of the fascists for them."

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 4, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Reince Penis posted:

Anyone ever want to see Jordan Peterson lament that he can't punch women who disagree with him?

I think you posted the wrong URL.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/globalnews/status/915223394475315200

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reince Penis posted:

Pretty clear why this idiot is popular with misogynists, redpill/MRA types, straight white males, etc.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm still 100% in on the theory that Jordan Peterson doesn't believe any of the poo poo he says and that he's just in it for the money and how far he can take it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dude, $40k per month for a side gig, in addition to his tenured prof position. I'd do it too, and I think he's a piece of poo poo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

attackmole posted:

When did Native become a bad word? Serious question, Google isn't getting me too far other than a few articles saying it's outdated. I was born in 91 and it was still the go to terminology when I was growing up.

I'm also curious about this, I was born in 88 and same thing. I've never heard a first nations person tell me they're offended by the term, but obviously I'm happy to stop using it if it's no longer considered kosher.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

got ourselves a meeting of the foremost minds here. such rationality

emotional control: maintained

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 4, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dem crazy broads ain't that right?

*complains about how the cameltoe on a 12 year old was removed when localizing a JRPG*

Sometimes I wonder if the names you hear used in the news and such are actually what people would prefer to be called or what the people writing the stories think they want to be called. I remember years ago CBC Halifax started using the gender-neutral "Fishers" to describe anyone who fished for a living. They didn't like it because a Fisher is a dirty shore bird that eats carrion and other garbage that washes up on shore.

I always liked First Nations becuase it says these people were here first AND they did have nations of complex social orders.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that last comment thread reminds me of the fundamentalist Christian relatives a friend of mine had who would spank their kids, but not in the heat of the moment - they'd schedule a time and number of spanks later in the day or whatever

you see it's okay to beat your spouse/child as long as it's premeditated and thus Rational, totally uninfluenced by Emotions

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
That seems much more abusive.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm also curious about this, I was born in 88 and same thing. I've never heard a first nations person tell me they're offended by the term, but obviously I'm happy to stop using it if it's no longer considered kosher.

The Canadian government started using FN at least as far back as 2008 with the Harper residential school apology.

As it has been explained to me you shouldn't expect a negative reaction if you use Native / Indian because of racist cultural expectations that you don't correct a white person (making an assumption here).

Use Aboriginal / Fist Nation / Metis / Inuit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just another posted:

That seems much more abusive.
Of course it is. Just noting how there's a big cottage industry of assuring irrational people they're in fact supremely Rational and Logical, and everyone else is Emotional, and teaching them how to rationalize their irrational thoughts and actions.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2017

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/915703854615973889

good luck, BC

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

twistedmentat posted:

Dem crazy broads ain't that right?

*complains about how the cameltoe on a 12 year old was removed when localizing a JRPG*

Sometimes I wonder if the names you hear used in the news and such are actually what people would prefer to be called or what the people writing the stories think they want to be called. I remember years ago CBC Halifax started using the gender-neutral "Fishers" to describe anyone who fished for a living. They didn't like it because a Fisher is a dirty shore bird that eats carrion and other garbage that washes up on shore.

I always liked First Nations becuase it says these people were here first AND they did have nations of complex social orders.

It's kind of wrong though, there were dozens of nations that came and went in the time before colonization took a snapshot before disassembly. Accurately, it's more like Last Nations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

cougar cub posted:

The Canadian government started using FN at least as far back as 2008 with the Harper residential school apology.

As it has been explained to me you shouldn't expect a negative reaction if you use Native / Indian because of racist cultural expectations that you don't correct a white person (making an assumption here).

Use Aboriginal / Fist Nation / Metis / Inuit.

Yeah, but I'm talking about people that I'm close enough to that would actually go "wtf Hookshot you idiot stop using that word you dickhead". Also my (Australian) husband has straight-up asked FN people what they prefer to be called when he was new to Canada and didn't know the correct terms, and he was always told "Native or First Nations is best".

Like, I'm not denying that it's no longer a thing and all that, and I'll stick to FN from now on, I'm just surprised that I've never heard it before.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

your loyal opposition everyone

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/915646860114714636
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/915647198704128000
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/915647517383110656
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/915648228695138307
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/915648392914722821

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What’s wrong with that?

Pretty sure that’s basically all an opposition does.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

attackmole posted:

When did Native become a bad word? Serious question, Google isn't getting me too far other than a few articles saying it's outdated. I was born in 91 and it was still the go to terminology when I was growing up.

In the Inconvenient Indian, I seem to remember Thomas King having a good paragraph about how once you're using homogenizing terms you've already kind've given the game away. In the particular case of "native," you're dealing with (1) a term that denotes someone by their place with respect to colonial relations (this is also why in, for instance, South Africa "native" is considered more or less a slur) and (2) so long as indigenous peoples maintain a subaltern place in society, any term that refers to them as a group will increasingly take on negative political baggage.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about people that I'm close enough to that would actually go "wtf Hookshot you idiot stop using that word you dickhead". Also my (Australian) husband has straight-up asked FN people what they prefer to be called when he was new to Canada and didn't know the correct terms, and he was always told "Native or First Nations is best".

Like, I'm not denying that it's no longer a thing and all that, and I'll stick to FN from now on, I'm just surprised that I've never heard it before.
My sense is that in some places "Native," because of its conciseness, has become a go to term used by people who dislike First Nations people. As a result it has become associated with people using it in abusive contexts, to the point where even if you don't use it in that context it will put people in that mindset.

Native also has certain general connotations of primitive and simple people untouched and unfamiliar with the modern world since its historical context is to describe people met by explorers on first contact, whether in the Americas or Pacific islands, or Africa. And if you strip the term completely from the historical context, then native is kind of a misnomer since as individuals anyone born in Canada is a native of Canada.

So it's not that native itself is a particularly bad word, but the context, both historical and present day means that some people will associate with that context and surrounding negativity.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There's very little evidence that the small business tax changes are hurting the Liberals with actual voters, though it's certainly creating a lot of angst among journalists, Liberal backbenchers, and the Conservatives. Scheer hyperventilating over a Liberal tax policy that is going to fly over most voters' heads gives Trudeau a nice opportunity to repeat the same campaign slogans that helped get him elected. It's a nice way for him secure his left flank against an NDP challenge given how disappointing the Liberals have been on other fronts.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Reince Penis posted:

I'm smart debate man. I talk about how great debate is, and how it is essential to a free society. Now let me tell you how every discussion is based upon the threat of violence.

lmao at "the techniques I would use against a man who said that to me." I will show you my kung fu.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
If my experience today is any indication, turnout for the Calgary municipal elections is going to be high.
First day of advance voting, btw.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

What’s wrong with that?

Pretty sure that’s basically all an opposition does.

would be cool if they raised issues important to normal people earning less than $200,000

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Poor people don’t vote or donate.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ante posted:

Dude, $40k per month for a side gig, in addition to his tenured prof position. I'd do it too, and I think he's a piece of poo poo

Last I checked it was up to something like 65k USD a month.

Dude is pulling down almost a million Canadian a year doing this poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Peterson is an absolute loving hack and the patron saint of alt-right welfare. He certainly knows how to hustle.

It's funny that The Trump Tutelage defends him as a true believer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My sense is that in some places "Native," because of its conciseness, has become a go to term used by people who dislike First Nations people. As a result it has become associated with people using it in abusive contexts, to the point where even if you don't use it in that context it will put people in that mindset.

Native also has certain general connotations of primitive and simple people untouched and unfamiliar with the modern world since its historical context is to describe people met by explorers on first contact, whether in the Americas or Pacific islands, or Africa. And if you strip the term completely from the historical context, then native is kind of a misnomer since as individuals anyone born in Canada is a native of Canada.

So it's not that native itself is a particularly bad word, but the context, both historical and present day means that some people will associate with that context and surrounding negativity.

Ok, yeah, I can understand that, it makes sense. Thanks for the post!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

P.d0t posted:

If my experience today is any indication, turnout for the Calgary municipal elections is going to be high.
First day of advance voting, btw.

I've been lazy and haven't read the platforms yet. Any reason I shouldn't just check the Nenshi box? I agree with him on most things and figured the other guys were probably reactionary conservative dick heads but haven't really done any reading tbh.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

attackmole posted:

I've been lazy and haven't read the platforms yet. Any reason I shouldn't just check the Nenshi box? I agree with him on most things and figured the other guys were probably reactionary conservative dick heads but haven't really done any reading tbh.

I mean, are you considering voting against Nenshi? If not then uh this isn't that hard; if you like Nenshi then there's nobody running who's "more Nenshi than Nenshi" if that's what you're looking for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's kind of wrong though, there were dozens of nations that came and went in the time before colonization took a snapshot before disassembly. Accurately, it's more like Last Nations.

Well, yea. There's evidence that the cultures in North America pre columbus were way more advanced and numerous than we think. The ones we do know about are the remains of what came before. Hell there are cultures we have no idea who they were because they were gone before we contacted them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

attackmole posted:

Well, the main credible competitor, Bill Smith, has more or less been endorsed by The Rebel (they're calling for Chabot to drop out to clear Smith's path to defeating Nenshi) and he's been on the side of those nuts Ready2Engage about the SW BRT or something, so... yeah, even I have to go with Nenshi at this point. Like I said earlier: I hate most of the incumbents, but I hate everyone else more.

If you're into throwing your vote away on an eccentric, vote for local artist/oddball Jason Gogo. At least he's nutty in an avant-garde art sort of way, instead of in a "fags will burn in hell" way like Larry Heather.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

infernal machines posted:

Peterson is an absolute loving hack and the patron saint of alt-right welfare. He certainly knows how to hustle.

They don't call it the wingnut welfare wagon for nothing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Reince Penis posted:

No one with tenure outside religious colleges is ever going to get fired unless you do legit crazy poo poo. And even then.

Hand Knit posted:

I'm smart debate man. I talk about how great debate is, and how it is essential to a free society. Now let me tell you how every discussion is based upon the threat of violence.

lmao at "the techniques I would use against a man who said that to me." I will show you my kung fu.

saying xe will lead to kulaks, i know this because i read a book about soviet camps written 60 years ago by a guy who denies the existence of the Holdomor.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 5, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

twistedmentat posted:

Hell there are cultures we have no idea who they were because they were gone before we contacted them.

An astoundingly high number of human cultures have come and gone when you consider how far 50km was for homo sapiens for the first ~150,000 years we were around. I've been commuting to https://www.amazon.ca/Sapiens-Humankind-Yuval-Noah-Harari/dp/0771038518, pretty good other than the hunter/gatherer fetish.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think I've said it before but 1491 and 1493 are very good pre and post contact books. We actually do know a lot more about pre-contact civilizations than we did 20 years ago.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Dreylad posted:

saying xe will lead to kulaks, i know this because i read a book about soviet camps written 60 years ago by a guy who denies the existence of the Holdomor.

I am such a legitimate academic that i know that the only reason i didn't get national funding for my phrenology project is a state vendetta against me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

I am such a legitimate academic that i know that the only reason i didn't get national funding for my phrenology project is a state vendetta against me

[ASK] me about my psychological astrology test that you can buy for 10 bux