Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I feel extremely nervous when I hear the dragon boss's fire minion jump sound.

It was the worst until I actually decided to just focus my vision to the bottom of the screen to see where they jump and never got hit by them again. It's cool how a lot of the time the success comes down to paying attention to the right things when there's so much visual flair going on at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Nina posted:

It was the worst until I actually decided to just focus my vision to the bottom of the screen to see where they jump and never got hit by them again. It's cool how a lot of the time the success comes down to paying attention to the right things when there's so much visual flair going on at once.

This but they actually jump to very predictable spots depending on where you are standing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finally recalled what Cagney's theme made me think of

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
What

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/4/16422060/cuphead-difficulty-exclusion

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The design of the game itself keeps them out, when the addition of an easy mode or an option to skip the bosses would allow everyone to see as much or as little as they want.

First, the game has a simple option. Dunno how much easier it makes it but it does exist for everything but the final boss.

Second, if you skip the bosses, what the gently caress is there? This game is almost entirely boss fights. If you skip those you aren't experiencing the game. This argument is flimsy when applied to Dark Souls, but completely baffling when applied to a game that is boss fight after boss fight.

Part of me has to wonder if articles like this are even genuine. I wouldn't be surprised if the author knows this is bullshit but is just making an article they know will outrage people with its absurdity, leading them to spread it around.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Simple mode cuts out phases and lowers overall boss HP.

The animation. People actually want to see the animation without having to be skilled.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The "turn to the last page" or "fast forward to the end of the movie" comparison is poor. There's plenty of difficult books and movies out there and people complain about them in both similar and different ways to hard games.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

First, the game has a simple option. Dunno how much easier it makes it but it does exist for everything but the final boss.

Second, if you skip the bosses, what the gently caress is there? This game is almost entirely boss fights. If you skip those you aren't experiencing the game. This argument is flimsy when applied to Dark Souls, but completely baffling when applied to a game that is boss fight after boss fight.

Part of me has to wonder if articles like this are even genuine. I wouldn't be surprised if the author knows this is bullshit but is just making an article they know will outrage people with its absurdity, leading them to spread it around.

It's loving stupid, because it essentially boils down to "They made this thing I don't like. Why didn't they make it for me?"'

Not everything is for everyone, you idiots. You can either go outside your comfort zone and try something new, or you can stay in your comfort zone because you don't want to try it or have and decided you don't like it. Both are perfectly valid, acceptable options. That something doesn't cater to your personal wishes isn't a problem with the product.

The entire premise of the article is stupid. It frames these design decisions as "exclusion" as if it's some kind of personal slight by the developers.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 4, 2017

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

The animation. People actually want to see the animation without having to be skilled.

There are already a poo poo ton of videos out there that show everything for all the boss fight, and more are being made by the loving hour. If you can't or won't play the game, then you can see all the pretty animation that way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My favorite is the presumption that people like the game's difficulty like it because it keeps people out. That's....bizarre and I promise I don't care what others do with their single player game. Can't they just use a trainer to give them infinite health like it's 1998 if they just want to see all the art?

Difficulty levels often end up bad for everyone, instead of a single, intentionally-balanced difficulty level it gives the dev the leeway to leave them inconsistent and sloppy/unfair because you can always muck with the difficulty. It effectively pushes work off of them and onto the player.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

So then do what I did and watch a stream of someone playing it. Or a youtube video of someone clearing every boss perfectly. There are plenty of options.

This just seems like such a nonissue. And again, I really have to wonder if there are that many people that genuinely think this or if its all just hack journalists coming up with controversial think pieces.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I understand what they were going for with this game but as an animator I am disappointed the levels don't play out like the arc of the cartoon shorts they homage. (With some exceptions - some boss battles do have some keen storytelling and area-shifts.)

I.E. I was hoping for a game that would have levels where you run through a kind of 'Bimbo's initiation' scenario with bonkers level setpieces and stage gimmicks until you face against the boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gua71Ia7rAU

But even though the creators even cited this short by name, the structure of the game isn't really like that.

This game also cites Metal Slug and Mega Man as influences - but Metal Slug has storytelling buildup in its stages, and even Mega Man has thematic buildup that implies a little bit of 'story' about the bosses you're going to face down.

I would have liked to see the game have level arcs where you progress towards the boss in a stage that delivers some storytelling about that boss, the area around you, and how that boss's ill-gotten power from their deal with the devil might have affected things. There should have been more tension leading up to those fights that way, and it's something I miss from this game. Instead you tend to be plunked into the fights with little context. There's little to no storytelling tension (not always - some bosses are set up better than others. The dice guy taunts you throughout the game for example.) and so the boss fights feel a bit hollow against these characters we know very little about.

But I realize that this game set out to be a boss rush game - and possibly decided that early on due to the resources needed to be economical with this kind of animation. They're an indie studio with a small team who mercifully got great support from microsoft. Their hard work paid off - it's just that it's pretty clear to me that this game has the structure of an indie game idea that was 'feature locked' nearly 7 years ago. It feels structurally like the clumsiness of a high profile indie title from 5+ years back.

But yeah it's still a fab game for what it is. It's a solid 8/10 territory game, definitely. And I look forward to seeing what the team who made it can do with more of a budget, an expanded team, and lessons learned from the experience of making this.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 4, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's loving stupid, because it essentially boils down to "They made this thing I don't like. Why didn't they make it for me?"'

Not everything is for everyone, you idiots. You can either go outside your comfort zone and try something new, or you can stay in your comfort zone because you don't want to try it or have and decided you don't like it. Both are perfectly valid, acceptable options. That something doesn't cater to your personal wishes isn't a problem with the product.

The entire premise of the article is stupid. It frames these design decisions as "exclusion" as if it's some kind of personal slight by the developers.

I think there's merit to something like an easy mode in Dark Souls games or the thing Nintendo actually does with giving optional beat the game or make me completely invincible modes so you can move on and see the content everyone else is seeing. But having a way to skip the boss fights in a game like this would be completely pointless. The game is boss fights. No one is playing for the mediocre platforming stages. If Tropical Freeze allowed you to skip bosses, that's something that would make sense.

I like when hard games give the option for something a bit easier, this game does it, Darkest Dungeon has a setting that makes this easier and a bit faster, etc. But you doing something like what the article suggestions just skips content so you can't even experience it, so what would be the point? Even Yoshi's Wooly World makes you still play the game in easy mode

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Internet Kraken posted:

So then do what I did and watch a stream of someone playing it. Or a youtube video of someone clearing every boss perfectly. There are plenty of options.

This just seems like such a nonissue. And again, I really have to wonder if there are that many people that genuinely think this or if its all just hack journalists coming up with controversial think pieces.

The latter. Expect tons of "Is Cuphead too hard???" articles in the next few weeks.

That said I think it's a good sign for the game. I'm surprised and relieved that a game that spent this long since its inital announcement hasn't been forgotten on releass, let alone with this much press. I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs for an opportunity to play this co-op, or an online option to be added, either or.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
[quote="“Internet Kraken”" post="“477059103”"]

[/quote]

It's hack journalist poo poo

I bought cuphead because gradually overcoming a difficult boss is rewarding and I want to do it a lot over the course of a game. The difficulty IS the content. Not loving animation or whatever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

nachos posted:

The difficulty IS the content. Not loving animation or whatever.

Eh I'd argue, as someone who thinks skipping the boss battles would be pointless, that's not entirely true. They sell the game heavily on the aesthetic, not the difficulty

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

This game is pretty nice but at some points the game has a 'babbys first bullet hell cheaply designed hitbox deaths' feel I get playing amateur's game maker games where projectiles feel floaty/weightless and the death of your character seems all too abrupt and sudden.

There's a rough around the edges feeling a lot of time when you're restarting from deaths that hampers the gamefeel.

Also, I feel like they leaned way too heavily at some points into the animation style when the way the objects and enemies are moving around the stages has a slightly underdeveloped & floaty feel to it. I.e. A lot of the projectiles and enemies have a kind of slightly unpolished 'make X move at 90 degrees at Y rate while cycling its animation' feel that game maker games or even klik and play stuff has.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 4, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah honestly I'd probably have bought the game even if it wasn't also the exact kind of tough boss-rush game I like to dive into.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah honestly I'd probably have bought the game even if it wasn't also the exact kind of tough boss-rush game I like to dive into.

I'd have been way interested in a action rpg with this style. A Bastion style game with Fleischer style animation would be sweet.

Or hell, someone mentioned darkest dungeon. Darkest Dungeon Toontown basically.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hahaha who the gently caress are these people lol jesus christ.

Oh its ben kuchera LMAO of course

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't beat the loving bee to save my life

edit: I finally beat her when I finally broke down and bought the homing bullet. I just couldn't get through phase 3 at all otherwise.

gently caress that triangle attack she does

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 4, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just saw the guest cameo and I'm pretty happy. Finale spoilers: I guess Melon Bread went to hell after all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hahaha who the gently caress are these people lol jesus christ.

Oh its ben kuchera LMAO of course

jfc does every idiot and crumbum in every corner of the earth just hang around indefinitely

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Spacedad posted:

projectiles feel floaty/weightless

Someone earlier in the thread brought up the sound design and I think their complaint is spot-on. Something about the way the bullets all kind of sound muffled adds to the sort of "disconnected" feel of the game. There's not a lot in the way of feedback for weapons hitting bosses. I know that in Gunstar Heroes and Metal Slug, which the game takes a lot of cues from, all you get is that flashing effect and projectile "poofs", but it might've worked better if you had enemies react to being shot the way they do in something like Parodius. It would've been more effort to animate, sure, but not that much more. And they really needed better, and louder, sounds for the weapons. Also maybe a different design for the projectiles for the bosses and the player because they seem sort of detached from the aesthetic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

King Vidiot posted:

Someone earlier in the thread brought up the sound design and I think their complaint is spot-on. Something about the way the bullets all kind of sound muffled adds to the sort of "disconnected" feel of the game. There's not a lot in the way of feedback for weapons hitting bosses. I know that in Gunstar Heroes and Metal Slug, which the game takes a lot of cues from, all you get is that flashing effect and projectile "poofs", but it might've worked better if you had enemies react to being shot the way they do in something like Parodius. It would've been more effort to animate, sure, but not that much more. And they really needed better, and louder, sounds for the weapons. Also maybe a different design for the projectiles for the bosses and the player because they seem sort of detached from the aesthetic.

Doesn't help that you can't see the "health bar" during the actual fight. Your main weapon looks and sounds like you're firing a water pistol and has no sense of weight to it or visual feedback, so the fights kind of go on for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time and then end. I generally didn't get the sense that I was really interacting with the bosses in a meaningful way besides dodging their attacks, though some seem to have a stun animation if you use the hyper-beam ult on them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Anyone have tips for the mermaid lady's second phase?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't know how you're expected to parry the bricks on the train during the second phase when the conductor's head hurts you. Or how you're expected to do this poo poo fast.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You don't have to parry anything in that section though I guess the other parts of that boss are annoying to parry as well.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I can't beat the loving bee to save my life

edit: I finally beat her when I finally broke down and bought the homing bullet. I just couldn't get through phase 3 at all otherwise.

gently caress that triangle attack she does

I shot the boomerang upward for phase 3

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The bee is really annoying because the platforms can just gently caress you if you are unlucky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Game is fun, I did the first plane boss with my arcade stick and it felt retro as gently caress and I loved it. There's a lot of pattern recognition but as a whole I think the game in pretty dang good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Anyone have tips for the mermaid lady's second phase?
Mash A and slam your joystick around back and forth to break the stun in <1 second

Also keep shooting the snake heads so they don't get huge critical mass, pop them, then shoot her, smash to get out of stone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pwnstar posted:

The bee is really annoying because the platforms can just gently caress you if you are unlucky.
The only lovely part is trying to parry the cop bombs, that often spit out in directions you cant even jump on, so you can get 3/3

gently caress parrying

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think my favorite thing about lets plays of this game are the reactions to the bird's knockout animation

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Pwnstar posted:

It's best to stay on her sides and iframe dash through her when you notice yourself running out of platforms on your side.

The RNG favoured me so heavily I was able to beat her before the final phase even kicked in on my successful run. It was wild.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

You don't have to parry anything in that section though I guess the other parts of that boss are annoying to parry as well.

I guess you don't when you're underneath him, but if you're between his hands at any point you have to or take damage. It's an interesting fight but kinda finnicky.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Macaluso posted:

I think my favorite thing about lets plays of this game are the reactions to the bird's knockout animation

Is it the the seasoning that people keep referring to or something else

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

King Dice was a surprisingly really fun boss. I'd heard bad things but I found them totally untrue

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

The only lovely part is trying to parry the cop bombs, that often spit out in directions you cant even jump on, so you can get 3/3

gently caress parrying

having spent a lot more time getting an A+ rank last night than i should've, the cop bombs always spit out a pink projectile horizontally left i think. also if you hug the extreme right it seems like the bee queen is more likely to send the orbs at you that you can just bounce on 3 times real quick to hit the parry requirement.

the platforms make it hard as hell to parry though i'll give you that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
This game has to be one of the best streamer games I've seen in awhile. I'd never play it because I'm not into platformers/boss rush games but the visuals and music make it a joy to just leave running in the background.

If you want to see someone do the entire game in one sitting with all the ups and downs that entails (and not be completely poo poo at it or have a horribly grating voice or any of the other awful habits most streamers have) I highly recommend the Brownman stream on Youtube. It's about 10 hours and he eventually gets an A+ on all the bosses.

And yes, he does make the dumb joke of putting the bit cup on his head. Chat gets what it wants.

• Locked thread