Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People feeding or trying to "rescue" stray cats. They're a loving plague. There's a billion of them and they should be killed, not encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Podcasts who do commentaries for whatever subject they are covering.

Its not the content, it's the getting-everything-lined-up-perfectly thing that drives me up a wall. Seven times out of ten, I'm reasonably synched up, but the slight variance bugs me. The other three times, I'm having to manually line things up because the guide wasn't clear or precise enough.

poo poo, it's the same reason why I only buy Rifftrax shorts, or riffs that come with a synch track for the player. But that's ages ago, and I don't know if that's still the case.

I guess similar but slightly off, but reaction videos to things are my current go to comfort videos like if i'm home from work or eating or something and some of these dudes/girls have no sense of timing and literally talk through important parts of things. I'm not watching or listening to hear you babble about something else, watch the drat video/etc and respond at the appropriate time. You're either doing this poo poo to get famous or get money don't be lazy on film son

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

People feeding or trying to "rescue" stray cats. They're a loving plague. There's a billion of them and they should be killed, not encouraged.

I'm not a cat person but killing the strays doesn't entirely solve the problem. The real solution is make pet spaying/neutering mandatory outside of tightly regulated breeders.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's a woman in our neighborhood who feeds cats and has outdoor shelters for strays. She gets them treatment and neuters them though. It's nice not having cats trying to run into our basement when we open the door on a snowy cold day, because they're sleeping in a cozy box down the street instead.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's a house across the street from me that's empty, but every day an old woman drives up and fills up a large food and water dish that's out on its porch for all the neighborhood cats. As a result I've got like a dozen feral cats in my yard at any given time. I'm not a fan.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Falsely accused of shoplifting at Walgreen's :/ I was looking at a few different cosmetics, trying to choose one, and put a couple of things back. I was walking over to my boyfriend across the store when an employee came up to me and asked if I was going to pay. I started saying I don't know, I was going to ask my boyfriend if I could use some of his cash for the eye-shadow I was holding, and she said she meant the stuff in my bag. I told her I didn't take anything, showed her my pockets, gave her my bag to look through and everything. I told her I put two other things back because I only wanted to buy one thing tonight but she was like yeah, sure, get out now and don't come back. She said they saw me on the camera. I don't know what they saw but I sure didn't take anything. It was so embarrassing :( I don't know if there's any point in calling and talking to the manager in the morning, she was just trying to do her job and wouldn't have approached me like that if she wasn't convinced she saw me stealing. I guess I should have gotten a basket instead of holding small items in my hand, but drat.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

Falsely accused of shoplifting at Walgreen's :/ I was looking at a few different cosmetics, trying to choose one, and put a couple of things back. I was walking over to my boyfriend across the store when an employee came up to me and asked if I was going to pay. I started saying I don't know, I was going to ask my boyfriend if I could use some of his cash for the eye-shadow I was holding, and she said she meant the stuff in my bag. I told her I didn't take anything, showed her my pockets, gave her my bag to look through and everything. I told her I put two other things back because I only wanted to buy one thing tonight but she was like yeah, sure, get out now and don't come back. She said they saw me on the camera. I don't know what they saw but I sure didn't take anything. It was so embarrassing :( I don't know if there's any point in calling and talking to the manager in the morning, she was just trying to do her job and wouldn't have approached me like that if she wasn't convinced she saw me stealing. I guess I should have gotten a basket instead of holding small items in my hand, but drat.

I would call and complain. I worked in retail for a fairly long amount of time and the difference in reaction between a shoplifter and a non-shoplifter is extremely noticeable. If she didn't recognize it a few seconds in she isn't only doing her job wrong she's doing it aggressively wrong. Especially is she looked through your bags and stuff

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I would call and complain. I worked in retail for a fairly long amount of time and the difference in reaction between a shoplifter and a non-shoplifter is extremely noticeable. If she didn't recognize it a few seconds in she isn't only doing her job wrong she's doing it aggressively wrong. Especially is she looked through your bags and stuff

She didn't look that thoroughly, I guess she decided if there was anything in there I wouldn't have handed it to her. She just seemed super convinced by whatever it was she thought she saw on camera.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
People who pull into an intersection, don't have enough space, and dangle half (or more) of their car's rear end into said intersection. Weren't they taught that you should hold back if there's not a your-car shaped void available?

(I also hate when I wind up being that guy, from time to time, but I make sure not to most of the time.)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

timefly posted:

lmao you were still in the store, too, not even trying to leave. that sucks i'm sorry

e: PEEVE: WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS AVATAR

snoo has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

She didn't look that thoroughly, I guess she decided if there was anything in there I wouldn't have handed it to her. She just seemed super convinced by whatever it was she thought she saw on camera.

Doesn't matter. Bitch shouldn't be looking through your things end of story even if you offered. Loss at a retail place is not your business to actually confront people about. It's infuriating for floor workers as a principal but if anyone steals from your box store or whatever you let security cameras handle it. You never, ever directly confront a person. You follow them, make your presence known, ask if you can help them etc. you never confront. Call the store manager

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

lmao you were still in the store, too, not even trying to leave. that sucks i'm sorry

e: PEEVE: WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS AVATAR

Lmfao what did you do to get that

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmfao what did you do to get that

i'm assuming it was someone in the trump thread but idk, it's really unsettling and i don't have $5 to fix it. i was fine being blank :(

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Snoo posted:

i'm assuming it was someone in the trump thread but idk, it's really unsettling and i don't have $5 to fix it. i was fine being blank :(

you're a routinely very good poster so i fixed it for you

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

you're a routinely very good poster so i fixed it for you

:eyepop: :popeye: thank you so much!!!!

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Doesn't matter. Bitch shouldn't be looking through your things end of story even if you offered. Loss at a retail place is not your business to actually confront people about. It's infuriating for floor workers as a principal but if anyone steals from your box store or whatever you let security cameras handle it. You never, ever directly confront a person. You follow them, make your presence known, ask if you can help them etc. you never confront. Call the store manager

I'll call then. I wasn't sure it would do any good but I've never worked in that type of retail so for all I knew the manager would just tell her good job for confronting me if she suspected something. I was holding 3 things and put 2 back, but I'm super curious as to what exactly they thought they saw me do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Try not to look like such a thief

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Try not to look like such a thief

Haha, I've always looked and sounded super innocent and nonthreatening

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually would you mind elaborating a bit on the difference in reactions? I'm always anxious about making myself look guilty in situations like this.

One time I was in the ER waiting to see the doctor, and went to get a cup of water from a pitcher on one of those rolling table/cabinet things. I got really dizzy and kind of squatted for a second so I wouldn't fall and the nurse saw me and accused me of rummaging through the bottom drawer :rolleyes: In trying to convince her I was innocent, I think I might have laid it on a little thick and just made myself look even more guilty.

I'm sure they get drug addicts who do that kind of thing all the time but really? I'm not dumb enough to think the fun drugs are in an unlocked drawer in the hallway.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Otherwise able-bodied people who use the power door opener.

Bonus points if they are actually in a huge hurry and awkwardly squeeze themselves through the gap as the door slowly opens.

e: Double bonus if they force the door open, expending much more effort than it would have taken to just open the drat door normally.

Whiz Palace has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

Haha, I've always looked and sounded super innocent and nonthreatening

Actually would you mind elaborating a bit on the difference in reactions? I'm always anxious about making myself look guilty in situations like this.

One time I was in the ER waiting to see the doctor, and went to get a cup of water from a pitcher on one of those rolling table/cabinet things. I got really dizzy and kind of squatted for a second so I wouldn't fall and the nurse saw me and accused me of rummaging through the bottom drawer :rolleyes: In trying to convince her I was innocent, I think I might have laid it on a little thick and just made myself look even more guilty.

I'm sure they get drug addicts who do that kind of thing all the time but really? I'm not dumb enough to think the fun drugs are in an unlocked drawer in the hallway.

lol ok if even nurses are accusing you of stealing you might just give off some sort of weird vibe. Were you cursed by a gypsy?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Whiz Palace posted:

Otherwise able-bodied people who use the power door opener.

Bonus points if they are actually in a huge hurry and awkwardly squeeze themselves through the gap as the door slowly opens.

e: Double bonus if they force the door open, expending much more effort than it would have taken to just open the drat door normally.

Able-bodied power door opener here. I do it often as it's a double door situation and the switch opens both doors. Plus I work at a very busy place and don't want to touch a door handle hundreds of people have touched with their bare hands. I'm not a germ-phobe, but gently caress getting the latest illness running around because you touch the same door that some sick person did earlier. And for the record, I tend to hip check the switch to not touch it with my hands either.

E: preemptive edit. Yes I could just wash my hands after every instance of touching a doorknob, but that can get annoying and then you are faced with the bathroom door to deal with.

(Yes I fully realize how much of germ-phobe this all makes me sound... ugh)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also the motors and poo poo usually make it so it requires immense force to open the door manually.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
So your uses are valid, but my peeve stands. There's always one switch per door, not one for both. They use their (empty) hands to press the switches. The doors open with a normal level of resistance unless you engage the motor.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Maybe they enjoy the tiny thrill of living in the future where there are robots that open doors for you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

Maybe they enjoy the tiny thrill of living in the future where there are robots that open doors for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7HmltUWXgs

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I would also accept HGTTG references

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

timefly posted:

Falsely accused of shoplifting at Walgreen's :/

Yyyeah, as someone who worked retail for WAY too long, that's not at all what the employee is supposed to do even if she truly believed you were stealing. In every job I've had, they tell us that we're not supposed to confront/accuse anyone, especially if they haven't left the store with the item. Even if you had put something in your bag, a bizarrely large number of people do that while walking around the store then take it out and pay for it. You should leave an angry Yelp review at the very least.

There's one Walgreens near me that I stopped going to because they always thought I was shoplifting for no reason. But all they would do was repeatedly ask me if I needed help, try (and fail) to be subtle about following me around, and post one employee blocking the door until after I'd gone through checkout. gently caress that poo poo. I assume they were just bored because it seemed like I was always the only customer with maybe 5+ employees standing around, but I'm not gonna go somewhere that makes me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable every time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nettles Coterie posted:

There's one Walgreens near me that I stopped going to because they always thought I was shoplifting for no reason.

Racial profiling? Tattoos? That sucks whatever the reason.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

People who pull into an intersection, don't have enough space, and dangle half (or more) of their car's rear end into said intersection. Weren't they taught that you should hold back if there's not a your-car shaped void available?

(I also hate when I wind up being that guy, from time to time, but I make sure not to most of the time.)

I can't count the number of times I've flipped off assholes blaring their horn at me because I didn't enter the obviously-about-to-be-blocked intersection. I'm certain that one day it's going to get me beaten to death in the street by some fuckwad driving a BMW.

(I've also been the moron with my rear end blocking the pedestrian crosswalk too many times, I'm sorry)

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

lol ok if even nurses are accusing you of stealing you might just give off some sort of weird vibe. Were you cursed by a gypsy?

Nah, these are pretty much the only times something like this has happened. Idk

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It has come up before, but I really hate youtube's recommendation system. Just because I watch a few videos of a specific genre/about a specific game doesn't mean that's all I want to watch from now on. I mean, yes, still recommend me new judge judy episodes or something but don't make every single suggestion judge judy related. There should be a limit on the number of closely-related recommendations it can put on the page, with an option to search for more if you want to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just wish youtube was a little more discerning. Yes, Boss Keys and Chip and Ironicus both comfortably fall under "gaming", and yes, so do WhatCulture lists and Pewdiepie, but I feel there's a difference in quality that I'd like addressed.

On the other hand after training it on obscure music for a while I now get super good recommendations all the time so I dunno.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sometimes I watch videogame videos on youtube and sometimes I listen to music so now if I just let it autoplay for long enough it inevitably goes to some 24 hour extended music from a videogame. Who the hell actually likes those things...

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I just can't get into videogame music by itself, especially if it's for a game that either I play or have watched someone else play for a long time. Like yeah, that's a great song, and I've heard it hundreds of times looping repeatedly (or just recurring), for an hour or more every weekend during a period of two months last year. I don't need to hear it anymore in any other context.

The only exception to this that I can think of is Splatoon, and even then most of the songs are designed on a loop with no real ending-- so the only way they get put on Youtube is (a) "FOUR HOURS OF THE BEST SONG EVER" or (b) fading out awkwardly at the 2:30 minute mark. Neither of which is more enjoyable than just listening to the song while I play Splatoon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just who are these fuckwads who post 30+ minute long version of every song and tune on youtube? Do they not know of the loop-video option exists?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's me, I'm the guy who owns a few video game OSTs and listens to them in the car. In my defense though crypt of the necrodancer has a fukkin great soundtrack.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Oneiros posted:

I can't count the number of times I've flipped off assholes blaring their horn at me because I didn't enter the obviously-about-to-be-blocked intersection. I'm certain that one day it's going to get me beaten to death in the street by some fuckwad driving a BMW.

(I've also been the moron with my rear end blocking the pedestrian crosswalk too many times, I'm sorry)

There's a double-lane road near my house that crosses railroad tracks. Active ones; I've seen trains running through there, although they slow down during high-traffic times. People get so confused when I stop at the white line in front of the gates to make sure the tracks are clear. SO many people just sit there on the tracks, assuming they're inactive, I guess? Then the person beside me will see me stop at the line, hit the brakes, back up, and sit there with me. No one has ever given me a hard time about it, but the people in front of me sitting on the tracks are oblivious. I cringe every time I see an oncoming train. They're rare, and they're going slow enough they'd be able to stop if they had to, but you never know.

Another traffic-related peeve is people giving up their entitled right-of-way. You don't have a stop sign and I do, go through the drat intersection! I can't move until you do! I'm turning left and you are going straight through the green light, go ahead and go! This isn't a stop sign; I'm waiting for you to clear the intersection so I can go through it. You're trying to be nice, but you're just loving poo poo up and it's taking more time to do anything, while frustrating everyone around you. Just take the right of way, it's yours!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another traffic-related peeve is people giving up their entitled right-of-way. You don't have a stop sign and I do, go through the drat intersection! I can't move until you do! I'm turning left and you are going straight through the green light, go ahead and go! This isn't a stop sign; I'm waiting for you to clear the intersection so I can go through it. You're trying to be nice, but you're just loving poo poo up and it's taking more time to do anything, while frustrating everyone around you. Just take the right of way, it's yours!

This but on a bike. I'm part of traffic whether I like it or not, please don't wait on my slow rear end to turn left before you go straight. It will only frustrate us both.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just wish youtube was a little more discerning. Yes, Boss Keys and Chip and Ironicus both comfortably fall under "gaming", and yes, so do WhatCulture lists and Pewdiepie, but I feel there's a difference in quality that I'd like addressed.

On the other hand after training it on obscure music for a while I now get super good recommendations all the time so I dunno.

This is my experience too. Youtube is awful at recommending me game things and awesome at recommending me electronic music things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda personal and E/Nish, but it's incredibly frustrating when you have the desire to create something (in my case, a short story whose topic has been floating around in my head for a few days), but realizing you're not a very good writer and you don't really have much more than the nugget of an idea in the first place.

Like, the details aren't really important, it's just annoying that this is my writer's checklist:

[X] Idea
[ ] Way To Make The Hinted-At Reveal Subtle Enough That Folks Don't Immediately Pick Up In, Like, The First Goddamned Paragraph
[ ] Resolution Beyond Said Reveal

:negative: