Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nakar posted:

King admits there are whole books he does not remember writing, and he directed Maximum Overdrive and only barely recalls being unfathomably incompetent at that, so honestly he was probably less frightening in the 70s. I don't know how much cocaine it takes to completely forget that you wrote an entire novel, but I'm going to assume it's more than young scrappy hobo King could afford before his books blew up.

You can definitely tell It was written in a fugue state. It's still a great book, but every page rambles ceaselessly about every single detail King could throw into his typewriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It might well also be because he's written fuckloads of books, wouldn't be surprising if some get forgotten or blur together after a while.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Inescapable Duck posted:

It might well also be because he's written fuckloads of books, wouldn't be surprising if some get forgotten or blur together after a while.
I'd have to track down the quote (it's in On Writing) but it wasn't a case of "Wow, I don't quite remember the time I was writing Cujo!" It was more along the lines of "I was doing so much cocaine that Cujo just appeared and I kind of wish I hadn't been doing so much cocaine as to not even remember what I was thinking or doing when writing it." We're not talking mere forgetfulness of an older work by a prolific author, we're talking an author outright admitting his drug problem was so bad that literally no human being in existence can explain the appearance of a bestselling novel that was made into a film. Cocaine turned some of King's work into an ontological black hole that even he cannot enlighten the world about.

EDIT: He also wrote The Running Man in three days. That book is over 300 pages long. Cocaine probably helped with this.

Nakar has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Sep 28, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

TenCentFang posted:

I was actually going to say "Sharknado and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", but my OCD really gave me fits over all the and's.

Sharknado &
Pride &
Prejudice &
Zombies

Somebody in Brooklyn or West Hollywood is already wearing this T-shirt, I betcha.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nakar posted:

EDIT: He also wrote The Running Man in three days. That book is over 300 pages long. Cocaine probably helped with this.

He wrote all the Bachman-books pre-fame and broke as gently caress. Hell, he wrote The Long Walk as a freshman in college, and that's a 200+ page book that's probably his best work.

dyingassassin
Mar 22, 2008
Wow. I've read this entire thread over the last week and it's been one hell of a ride. That said, I'm a little amazed (and more relieved) that no one has brought up The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

I received this book a couple of years ago from my wife as a birthday gift along with several other Kindle books. It was new science fiction, had won a ton of awards, had good reviews on Amazon. I got halfway through it's interminable 480 pages when I realized that there was not one single character that I didn't hate. Which is a shame because the writing wasn't that bad and actually reminded me of Count Zero in terms of setting and interweaving narratives.

And let's not forget the rape! One of the main characters (the titular windup girl) is a genetically engineered human who was a secretary/fucktoy for a Japanese businessman who got thrown away when a newer model came out. She gets bought by a Thai pimp and raped repeatedly and in nauseating detail throughout the book. Perhaps the worst part is that they continually refer to her obedience to her owners as "dog-like" when they're abusing her, because she literally has dog DNA in her to make her servile. She's also seen as less than human because she's bioengineered. Hooray!

After all this glowing praise for writing a "mature" sci-fi book on his first outing, what did the author do next? Why, begin writing YA books in the same universe, of course!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Similarly Shaun Ryder, great poet and frontman for the Happy Mondays, has literally no memories from about 1990 to 2006. 16 years of his life are just a void to him.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is there like a "Greatest Hits" of awful passages from bad books? Whenever anyone has a couple of paragraphs I get unreasonably excited

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Here's a famously awful passage (that was new to me). It's a photograph of a page in a book, but linked for NSFW text, just in case. http://i.imgur.com/I4ZrJ91.jpg

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They've been published in an anthology entitled Ready Player One.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dyingassassin posted:

Wow. I've read this entire thread over the last week and it's been one hell of a ride. That said, I'm a little amazed (and more relieved) that no one has brought up The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

I received this book a couple of years ago from my wife as a birthday gift along with several other Kindle books. It was new science fiction, had won a ton of awards, had good reviews on Amazon. I got halfway through it's interminable 480 pages when I realized that there was not one single character that I didn't hate. Which is a shame because the writing wasn't that bad and actually reminded me of Count Zero in terms of setting and interweaving narratives.

And let's not forget the rape! One of the main characters (the titular windup girl) is a genetically engineered human who was a secretary/fucktoy for a Japanese businessman who got thrown away when a newer model came out. She gets bought by a Thai pimp and raped repeatedly and in nauseating detail throughout the book. Perhaps the worst part is that they continually refer to her obedience to her owners as "dog-like" when they're abusing her, because she literally has dog DNA in her to make her servile. She's also seen as less than human because she's bioengineered. Hooray!

After all this glowing praise for writing a "mature" sci-fi book on his first outing, what did the author do next? Why, begin writing YA books in the same universe, of course!

Oh man I forgot about that book. It wasn't half bad, but the gross sex stuff was pretty awful yeah.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Agents are GO! posted:

They've been published in an anthology entitled Ready Player One.

You know, an anthology set in the world of RPO would actually probably be pretty good - better than the quest of the worlds' most insufferable virgin to become Paul Muad'dork.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mister Mind posted:

Sharknado &
Pride &
Prejudice &
Zombies

Somebody in Brooklyn or West Hollywood is already wearing this T-shirt, I betcha.
I know this isn't the thread for this but I've never understood the X & X & X shirts at all. Where did they come from? Why do people keep purchasing them in ever more esoteric variants?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know this isn't the thread for this but I've never understood the X & X & X shirts at all. Where did they come from? Why do people keep purchasing them in ever more esoteric variants?

Blame the Dutch! :eng101:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

You know, an anthology set in the world of RPO would actually probably be pretty good - better than the quest of the worlds' most insufferable virgin to become Paul Muad'dork.

Honestly a gorilla fanfic campaign where a bunch of people write stories to improve, flesh out, or deconstruct the world of a specific novel that then all get packaged into an anthlogy, could be kind of interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

there wolf posted:

Honestly a gorilla fanfic campaign where a bunch of people write stories to improve, flesh out, or deconstruct the world of a specific novel that then all get packaged into an anthlogy, could be kind of interesting.

A thousand gorillas with typewriters...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

there wolf posted:

Lights Out: Gorilla (Fiction Set In The World Of) RPO

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

The writers of the gorillla fanfic may find themselves ostrich-sized.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Never have I been more delighted by a typo.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

dyingassassin posted:

I liked The Windup Girl but got a little weirded out when one of the characters in Shipbreaker was a genetically engineered furry dogman soldier, who's also the main character of the sequel. Dude has a weird preoccupation.

Shipbreaker was annoying for other reasons. You set up these big listing hulks with all their hidden corners and secrets, you put it in the title, and then you abandon the shipyard for a generic YA adventure after the setup? :argh:

dyingassassin
Mar 22, 2008

Brass Key posted:

I liked The Windup Girl but got a little weirded out when one of the characters in Shipbreaker was a genetically engineered furry dogman soldier, who's also the main character of the sequel. Dude has a weird preoccupation.

Shipbreaker was annoying for other reasons. You set up these big listing hulks with all their hidden corners and secrets, you put it in the title, and then you abandon the shipyard for a generic YA adventure after the setup? :argh:

The guy's got some problems with his writing, for sure. The setting of Windup Girl is great but I was really frustrated by the fact that there wasn't a single character that wasn't deeply flawed in some way. It's hard to root for people you hate. I couldn't even get into horror movie mindset of "let's watch these people gently caress up" because the story didn't go anywhere. I'd have stopped reading halfway through except I paid for it. It was the most wasted potential I'd ever seen in a book which is why I felt like it deserves a spot in this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I was frustrated that none of the fictional characters were the kind of people I want as friends

dyingassassin
Mar 22, 2008
I got a lamps shitpost yesss

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dyingassassin posted:

I got a lamps shitpost yesss

He has a point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The windup girl herself got pretty badass

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The question is what dyingassassin meant by "flawed" in the first place. It's a pretty loaded word when people are describing characters, and people tend to act like it's some prerequisite for "depth" and "realism", but if dyingassassin's point was that there was "not one single character that [he] didn't hate", the characters might not have the kinds of flaws that characterize good writing. By any standard, Jar Jar Binks is a flawed character, but that doesn't make him anything but insufferable.

Or maybe dyingassassin is just a Philistine, and the sci-fi rape geisha book is actually 2008's Crime and Punishment.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Oct 4, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it's that dumb of an idea that people are gong to have different tolerance levels for stories about horrible people doing bad things and being miserable about it. I gave up on Windup Girl probably for similar reasons as dyingassasin; it was a bunch of characters I didn't like and there was nothing about the plot that made me want to see where the story went. It's not that protagonists can't be lovely, but they or the plot have to be in some way compelling even if it's just a dark "let's see where this trainwreck goes" interest.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite unlikable character is Benvenuto Cellini.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My favourite unlikable character is Benvenuto Cellini.

Like, are you hoping that someone says theirs is you, or....

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

While I wouldn't put Triburbia alongside other terrible books in this thread, I did hate most of the main characters in it, and that made it tough to get through because it's hard to care about whether a rich rear end in a top hat feels self-actualized or not. The one character whose story I enjoyed reading the most was mafia don's, because despite him committing actual crimes, he was the most likable person.

So yeah I get not enjoying a book because you don't like the characters. For me at least, it wasn't a case of "oh I don't like this person" it was a case of "it is aggravating to listen to this person's internal conflict."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
today i learned about rupi kaur and i wish i hadn't

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

today i learned
about rupi kaur
and
i wish i
hadn't

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

today i learned
about rupi kaur
and
i wish i
hadn't

Linebroken Instagram Posts are Absolutely Poetry What do you Mean - Pastry of the Year

(poorly drawn line image of a phone with flowers coming out of the screen)

❤ 10,028,872 likes

Seriously though, I picked up Milk and Honey in a bookstore to see what people were raving about and was very confused. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't understand what the kids of today like, which is apparently insipid rhythmless poetry easily shareable on social media.

Brass Key has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Oct 5, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this poo poo is Chicken Soup for the modern era except even more vacuous

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The only metric I have for the quality of instagram poetry is Colin Yost, and Rupi Kaur can occasionally write an evocative image and an attempt at meter, so she's already ahead of the curve there.

Still a lot of the poems reminded me of back when The Triumphant analyzed poetry from the TV Tropes forums

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

So like the Malatora thread?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

today i learned about rupi kaur and i wish i hadn't

Ah, the Rupaiyat.

I on the other hand discovered Edwin Arlington Robinson, and I think I got the better end of the deal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Djeser posted:

The only metric I have for the quality of instagram poetry is Colin Yost, and Rupi Kaur can occasionally write an evocative image and an attempt at meter, so she's already ahead of the curve there.

Still a lot of the poems reminded me of back when The Triumphant analyzed poetry from the TV Tropes forums

quote:

quote:

The Night guides me
The Darkness lures me
The Oblivion seduces me
The Despair calls me
The End is me.

There's a lot of ambiguity in this poem. On the one hand, the speaker seems like they'reprobably a vampire. On the other hand, they might be a werewolf.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

^^^ Sweet Jesus that's full of some real gems.

quote:

My ego's bruised, My spirit's damp
And it seems like yer a petty tramp
This feels like barbed wire around my chest
As you take my hand and tell me this is for the best.
Now we're jumping off the edge together
I fall fast but that parachute makes you light as a feather

As you fall down with the greatest ease
Babe, I'm glad you'll make it there in one piece
Ya know I'll scream till I hit the ground
But I know your pretty ears won't hear a sound
Gather up the bits that used to be my body
If ya sell 'em, They'll buy 'em, cause dang are you a hottie.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

there wolf posted:

This is what delights and infuriates me about crap books/films/whatever. You get an idea like RPO and it is done so, so terribly. But it gives you a little spark of insight and inspiration because it COULD be the bedrock for some really fascinating fiction.