Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

As upsetting as Woden's actions were, it's good to see that he's still the same shithead god we all know and love to hate. Also, Ammy's death is the first one that I've not been super shocked at upset at, probably because she's one of the less interesting gods. I mean, I'm sure I'll cheer when Woden gets his come uppance, but I'll miss the character. Ammy, I can live without.

Obviously worried about Cass and Dio tho.

Also: Bloody hell, Laura.

Also: Sakhmet's feet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is a phrase that always makes me excited to read new Wicked and Divine issues.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

krakagar posted:

Obviously worried about Cass and Dio tho.

To paraphrase RuPaul, if you can't care for yourself, how in the hell you gonna care for somebody else?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just read Crossed+100, it was an interesting setting but I kinda expected a little more considering Alan Moore wrote it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Just read Crossed+100, it was an interesting setting but I kinda expected a little more considering Alan Moore wrote it.

If I recall, didn't he only write the first few issues, and then someone else took over? I actually now am thinking back and I'm not sure I finished it, I think my local shop never got the last issue or something like that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

If I recall, didn't he only write the first few issues, and then someone else took over? I actually now am thinking back and I'm not sure I finished it, I think my local shop never got the last issue or something like that.

He wrote the fist arc which is the one I read.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I just finished wilds end vol 2-enemy within and really liked it. Great character development. The supplemental material adds a lot to the book. Highly recommend it!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy poo poo, Deadly Class. I recently binge-read the first five volumes, since I had borrowed them from Hoopla and had them downloaded to my iPad in the days leading up to and during Hurricane Irma. Wow! It wasn't on my radar at all until a friend with good taste recommended it, and even then I was worried it would be too much like Hunger Games-meets-Harry Potter, or more generally, YA fiction-meets-manga.

I didn't expect to love it, or become so emotionally involved, or marvel in how dark it was. And the ending of Volume 5 -- wow, I hardly know what to think!

Since I hadn't paid attention to it at all, what did people think about it here? I just found some articles from July 2016 that Remender and the Russo Brothers were pushing to make it a TV show. It screams out for some sort of adaptation, as long as standard broadcast networks stay far, far away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Remender said in the most recent issue that he's been working hard on the show and he has an announcement coming soon, I believe.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I really enjoy deadly class. The world is very well built and Saya is one my favorite character in comics.

In a similar vein I picked up the two Monstress trades that are available and god drat that's some good poo poo. Has Lou said or indicated an end issue? I really like it when things actually end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo, Deadly Class. I recently binge-read the first five volumes, since I had borrowed them from Hoopla and had them downloaded to my iPad in the days leading up to and during Hurricane Irma. Wow! It wasn't on my radar at all until a friend with good taste recommended it, and even then I was worried it would be too much like Hunger Games-meets-Harry Potter, or more generally, YA fiction-meets-manga.

I didn't expect to love it, or become so emotionally involved, or marvel in how dark it was. And the ending of Volume 5 -- wow, I hardly know what to think!

Since I hadn't paid attention to it at all, what did people think about it here? I just found some articles from July 2016 that Remender and the Russo Brothers were pushing to make it a TV show. It screams out for some sort of adaptation, as long as standard broadcast networks stay far, far away.

I don't think Remender is great at humor and to me the book was just murder Hogwarts and I didn't care for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think Remender is great at humor and to me the book was just murder Hogwarts and I didn't care for it.

One thing I didn't find it to be at all was humorous. It was actually really depressing, but parts of it felt very true, like maybe based on parts of Remender's adolescence -- the stupid love triangles, the STD scare, and all that drug use. I was worried it would be just "murder Hogwarts," but I thought it was more interesting that certain characters were set up from the beginning to be expendable sacrifices for the more connected legacy students to cull, but none of them had been warned by their parents or anyone else how the school works. I also thought it was odd that we spent such little time with the students in classes, and that they had so much freedom and leisure time to have part-time jobs, party, and screw around.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a bit hit or miss for me but when it grabs me it grabs me. I agree that when he shoots for humor it can land in a very mean-spirited space, which like, it's a bleak story about pretty vile people for the most part, but I don't love the flippancy of it at times. The longer action set-pieces are really wonderful though and he's great at tension and juggling a big ensemble. The recent issue with the big metalhead guy on his date was sweet and a nice change of pace. That's Remender's humor working for me, as a counterpoint to the darkness of the main plot. What didn't work was, say, the whole diarrhea thing, or the hillbilly rapist bad-guys.

I respect that it really seems to hit a chord with slightly older friends who can remember being adolescents in the Reagan era-- I think of that line in the Vertigo-homage issue of Planetary about the absurd bleakness of living under Thatcher and how people who weren't there will never "get it," and I just kind of go, ok, this is articulating an anxiety I never had to experience, and venting a very specific cultural pain that I lucked out of. So I tend to trust them that some of what it's doing is just over my head, in the same way that teaching 18 and 19 year olds today about the cultural environment right after 9/11 and that stretch of the Bush era is loving nigh-impossible to do.

So like-- I buy the trades and I try to keep up with singles but there are times when I just feel like what I want and what it's offering are two divergent things.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've enjoyed the last couple issues of Bitch Planet a lot. I like the concept of the comic but the execution has sometimes been lacking. Between the shorter stand-alone story formats and the rotating guest authors/artists, it's been great to see these wildly differing takes on the premise. Plus the backend interview has been pretty interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Invincible's fight against Thrag got even more ridiculous I say.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Invincible's fight against Thrag got even more ridiculous I say.

Yeah that was definitely one of the most over the top fights I've ever seen in comics. Kudos on the creativity, I guess, and the artists did really good (albeit nasty) work with the concept.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Got a new book called Scales and Scoundrels yesterday, seems promising. Lighthearted DnD stuff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

got any sevens posted:

Got a new book called Scales and Scoundrels yesterday, seems promising. Lighthearted DnD stuff

On a similar note, Dark Horse are putting out a mini-series based on Critical Role, which is a Twitch streamed D&D campaign featuring anime/video game/cartoon voice actors. Book is actually pretty decent and does a solid job capturing the tone of the campaign and the characters. Art is cute too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There was a book either here or the badass thread that I'm trying to hunt down. It basically was knights vs aliens/xenos? Or at least the few panels posted showed that. Any ideas?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a book either here or the badass thread that I'm trying to hunt down. It basically was knights vs aliens/xenos? Or at least the few panels posted showed that. Any ideas?

Sounds like you're possibly talking about Lake of Fire.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lake-of-fire-1

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Sounds like you're possibly talking about Lake of Fire.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lake-of-fire-1

That's exactly it! Thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah that was definitely one of the most over the top fights I've ever seen in comics. Kudos on the creativity, I guess, and the artists did really good (albeit nasty) work with the concept.

I'm waiting until it wraps up to read the rest (the last one I read was when Thrag's kids showed up on the world where Mark and Eve and the kid were hiding out) but I've always enjoyed the over the top violence of fights in Invincible. I know the gore turns a lot of people off but I find it very interesting, and Ottley really does the big fight spread so well. I love the fight between Battle Beast and Thrag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

black monday murders

ĥ̨̫̤͈̥̞̱̽̅̉́̂̏͐ͅả̶͚͕̜͍͔͍̼̇̏͆̎̂͊́͜͢į̞̱̗͓̭̔̉͗́̅̊̉̎͆͂l̶̨̧̩̘̭̹̠̭̻͓̑̽̐͑̓́͛̔́̏ m̸̛͓̝̜͚̟͌̐̐̔̍̿͑͗a̶̠͎̠̬̬̰͌̅̾̀̉͜͞m̸̛͙̪͇̯͕̂̈́̈͛̄͜͞͞m̨͉͓̤̠̫̳͓̤̄̇͌̓̒̎͆̇͘ō̫̠͎̝̩͓͈̮͍͔̓̈́͊͑̔̈̚n̢̧̝̣̺̬͆̇̒̍́

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
black monday murders chat the fact that the 80's market crash is a plot point made me laugh in joy. This is the best comic I have read in ages

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I decided to jump back into some of the recent Aftershock comics I had lapsed and missed out on, and one that really stands out so far is Babyteeth. I'm not usually much for "Evil Baby Antichrist" stories but Donny Cates is approaching it in a really different way with the "teenage mother in over her head trying to protect her baby" angle. And it's building up some neat background mythology with secret organizations that apparently try to kill demonspawn pretty regularly. I hope it gets to go on a while as it feels like the story has some real legs to it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing a horror series called Gideon Falls with Image starting in March, which is something that scratches basically all of my itches at once.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing a horror series called Gideon Falls with Image starting in March, which is something that scratches basically all of my itches at once.

I'm all about this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's an immediate pull for me.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

X-O posted:

I decided to jump back into some of the recent Aftershock comics I had lapsed and missed out on, and one that really stands out so far is Babyteeth. I'm not usually much for "Evil Baby Antichrist" stories but Donny Cates is approaching it in a really different way with the "teenage mother in over her head trying to protect her baby" angle. And it's building up some neat background mythology with secret organizations that apparently try to kill demonspawn pretty regularly. I hope it gets to go on a while as it feels like the story has some real legs to it.

I liked World Reader, though it's now on hiatus while they decide if it's popular enough to continue. The best Aftershock comic was Replica, but I guess it isn't coming back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Action Jacktion posted:

I liked World Reader, though it's now on hiatus while they decide if it's popular enough to continue. The best Aftershock comic was Replica, but I guess it isn't coming back.

Replica was my favorite too, but World Reader is fantastic as well. Jeff Loveness won me over big time with his Marvel work and he's a guy I'll read anything by now pretty much.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

World Reader rules and Eleanor & The Egret is really good too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirkman's got a new comic coming out

quote:

A decade ago 300,000 citizens of Philadelphia were suddenly lost in Oblivion. The government made every attempt to recover them but after many years they gave up. Nathan Cole… won’t. He makes daily trips, risking his life to try and rescue those lost, alone and afraid, living in the apocalyptic hellscape of Oblivion. But maybe… Nathan is looking for something else? Why can’t he resist the siren call of the Oblivion Song?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I read through Deadly Class this weekend and I was teetering between liking it and disliking it and finally decided that I didn't like it after the rat arc. I guess I was the idiot hoping for assassin Harry Potter. Also it seemed to go through the list of edgy/dark things you'd expect in a "mature" series.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I thought it had been mentioned here, but I can't track it down. I'm looking for a book set in medieval times, where all the characters are anamorphic and the main character is a dog. Can anyone identify that off hand?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I thought it had been mentioned here, but I can't track it down. I'm looking for a book set in medieval times, where all the characters are anamorphic and the main character is a dog. Can anyone identify that off hand?

The Autumnlands?

There are probably others that fit the bill, though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The Autumnlands?

There are probably others that fit the bill, though.

That's the one! Thanks a bunch!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I read through Deadly Class this weekend and I was teetering between liking it and disliking it and finally decided that I didn't like it after the rat arc. I guess I was the idiot hoping for assassin Harry Potter. Also it seemed to go through the list of edgy/dark things you'd expect in a "mature" series.

Yeah I'm starting to worry I don't like Rick Remender. How is Black Science?

e: I hope it's good because apparently I bought five trades that I haven't read yet in some Comixology sale last year!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I picked up the first issue of God Complex from Image on a whim and I really liked it! I think this might be one to look out for.

The art is gorgeous:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

JordanKai posted:

I picked up the first issue of God Complex from Image on a whim and I really liked it! I think this might be one to look out for.

The art is gorgeous:

I like the book too, but I kind of already sympathize with the Church of the Trinity, even if they're likely wackos, for trying to topple the Rulers. I mean, when you got a class of "elites" who control all information and literally refer to themselves with the names of greek gods, then, yeah, gonna side with the guys trying to topple them automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007