Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The whole idea of Company/Batallion/whatever-level assets just blows my mind. Look at the Soviet division in 1939: 18K men...54 AT guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

I feel like I've read more than a few stories of people trying a bit too hard to cleverly anticipate what the next war would be like and ending up with something completely stupid

But I've been stockpiling all these sticks and stones for WW III

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

But I've been stockpiling all these sticks and stones for WW III

You're the greater fool then, it's WW4 that is scheduled for sticks and stones.

Your precious clubs and knapped spear heads won't save you from 50mt of canned sunshine.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

JcDent posted:

The whole idea of Company/Batallion/whatever-level assets just blows my mind. Look at the Soviet division in 1939: 18K men...54 AT guns.

Isn't that "54 AT guns to reinforce AT guns already extant in regiment/brigade level formations"? And those regiments and brigades have their own AT guns to reinforce the ones already in companies and battalions?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, Russian assets are generally corresponding to level of hierarchy. So squad level artillery might be a single mortar, regimental could be some SPGs and towed mortars, while divisional artillery are more like batteries of 203mm or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Even in propaganda, the A-H was the most A-H of all the great powers.

All I can see

:3:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Yeah, Russian assets are generally corresponding to level of hierarchy. So squad level artillery might be a single mortar, regimental could be some SPGs and towed mortars, while divisional artillery are more like batteries of 203mm or something.

You're vastly overestimating the caliber of artillery offered. The smallest artillery piece would be at the company level, 50 mm mortars, designed to replace rifle grenades. At the battalion level, there were 82 mm mortars, and 120 mm at the regimental level. The regiment would also have access to low velocity 76 mm guns. Divisional artillery consisted of 76 mm guns and 122 mm howitzers. The big poo poo (122 mm guns, 152 mm gun-howitzers, 203 mm howitzers, etc) was at the corps level.

JcDent posted:

That's 54 anti-tank guns that are permanently tied to that division (at the division level, like Davin Valkri said). In the event of the division being deployed in a place where there are likely to be tanks, it would receive reinforcements in the form of a dedicated tank or anti-tank unit.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
None of this is unique to the Russian army in WWII.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Even in propaganda, the A-H was the most A-H of all the great powers.

I'm the giant blond mustache

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

the A-H was the most A-H of all the great powers.
it had better be

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm posting this so we can argue about Mr. Dent's spelling of "grognard" nothing else

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

finally, someone who remembers that british tanks have genders

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You have my attention

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wouldn't the next step down be "slings", "spear throwers", or "a rock"?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Davin Valkri posted:

Wouldn't the next step down be "slings", "spear throwers", or "a rock"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZnOsbD0wUw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Urgh if I had a million pounds I would buy the entire catalogue and wear a different one every day.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

You have my attention

PIKES

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nenonen posted:

All I can see

:3:

I'll call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt7xJdKfIMM

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone was posting a bunch of Byzantine empire memes in another thread here and I was dying

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

Someone was posting a bunch of Byzantine empire memes in another thread here and I was dying

i love my dead gay empire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Well don't just say that without fuckin' sharing with the class.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's my current favorite military history meme

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it loses something without the tweet complaining about how hard it is to draw meiji clothing on a cat

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

JcDent posted:

In addition to the stuff mentioned above, 54 guns translates to a substantial amount of gun crew, drivers, quartermasters, caterers, signallers, ammo depots and clerks, especially if they are large guns. Multiply this by all the other support arms organic to the division and suddenly the level of support allocated to the riflemen looks much more appropriate.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

The first panel of this one always makes me mad. "I'm punk so I must rebel". Uh... Yes?

I guess it takes too much space to write out "my mode of dress is a commercialized derivative of punk fashion and I enjoy the musical stylings of Blink-182 and Avril Lavigne so I must rebel."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I've been in one too many (okay, far too many) conversations about how steampunk isn't real punk because it doesn't rebel against anything.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've been in one too many (okay, far too many) conversations about how steampunk isn't real punk because it doesn't rebel against anything.

It rebels against the widely-held belief that steampunk is lame as all hell?

Which is correct. Steampunk is in fact lame as all hell.

vv: China Mieville managed to make steampunk rad, but the subculture around it?? less rad by a good deal

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 5, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ensign Expendable posted:

That seems more like a knock on the writers and less on the aesthetic though. You could very easily (or maybe readily) do a story thats got unspeakable acts of colonial cruelty going on abroad while little orphans are getting their hands mangled making clockwork war machines at home while organized labor gets its collective teeth kicked in by undercover autonomous police simulacra. Instead you get (cool) airships and idle rich adventurers.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Milo and POTUS posted:

That seems more like a knock on the writers and less on the aesthetic though. You could very easily (or maybe readily) do a story thats got unspeakable acts of colonial cruelty going on abroad while little orphans are getting their hands mangled making clockwork war machines at home while organized labor gets its collective teeth kicked in by undercover autonomous police simulacra. Instead you get (cool) airships and idle rich adventurers.

Me and some friends were talking about making steampunk costumes of the October revolution at one point, clockwork-Lenin ("the opressed workers of Russia needed a savior - so they built one!") and so on, just because of that. Too many great white hunter, colonial general and other very non-punk things around.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think that at some point it was decided that "-punk" just means "visual styling" or something, so that's why you have dieselpunk and whatnot. For most of the society, anti establishment hackers are part of cyberpunk aesthetic rather than some ideological thing.

It's one of those things where language evolves naturally to make stuff more lame. I'm still pissed over memes vs. macros thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ataxerxes posted:

Me and some friends were talking about making steampunk costumes of the October revolution at one point, clockwork-Lenin ("the opressed workers of Russia needed a savior - so they built one!") and so on, just because of that. Too many great white hunter, colonial general and other very non-punk things around.

That's a good costume idea and you should do that.

JcDent posted:

I think that at some point it was decided that "-punk" just means "visual styling" or something, so that's why you have dieselpunk and whatnot. For most of the society, anti establishment hackers are part of cyberpunk aesthetic rather than some ideological thing.

It's one of those things where language evolves naturally to make stuff more lame. I'm still pissed over memes vs. macros thing.

¡Viva la Revolución!

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Picture of the day: Road with destroyed Soviet armor. Oinassalmi. 1940/03/20. SA-Kuva.

Note the width of the road and the denseness of the forest. Operating armored vehicles outside of the roads would have been practically impossible. When the photo was taken (at the end of the war) the snow depth has already dropped significantly from its highest, but would have still been around 50 cm.

This is my best guess on the same location in 2011: click.

--

Part 7: "Order: A Soviet attack is anticipated..."

This is a translation of the war diary of the Finnish 2nd Detached Sissi Company from 10.11.1939 to 26.4.1940, as it fought in the Winter War.

Last time, the company spent 10 days in Ilomantsi proper resting and refitting. It was then subjected to a newly arrived 12th battalion of the Field Reinforcement Brigade (12/FR-Br). Together with the battalion, it moved closer to the front, where its now acting as the battalion reserve, some 4km from where I think the front line is. The most recent orders task the company with the creation of some counterattack ski trails and supply routes.

--

Approx. 11.00 - 14.00: The detachment creates a four-wide ski trail from its camp area to lake Mölkönlampi (Loezi: The name is not a perfect match, but I've learned that the names in the diary are not to be fully trusted and this would make the most sense.)

Detachment commander reconnoitring the area of lake Mölkönlampi.

15.15: I platoon to build fortifications in the area of Mölkönlampi.

16.30 - 18.30: Building fortifications in the front line.

Light artillery fire.

9.00 - 13.00: The detachment creates a four-wide ski trail from its camp area to cape Kekoniemi (Loezi: Unable to locate on map. Bound to be one of the small capes along the shore to the east or north.).

15.15.: II platoon to build fortifications in the area of lake Mölkönlampi.

9.00 - 14.00: Reconnoitred and cleared a supply route in the direction of Western shore of lake Taivallampi -- cape Kekoniemi -- Kääntämä strait. Pfc. Räsänen acting as a guide. The route was tested using six horses.

15.15: I platoon to build fortifications in the area of Mölkönlampi.

Approx. 23.00: Order of Capt.Laakso:: A Soviet attack is anticipated. Detachment Julkunen moves to reinforce the front line as follows: I platoon, under the command of res.lt. Julkunen, moves to the northern side of lake Mölkölampi. It will take control of a sector limiting on the right on the ridge at the place of the letter "v" in the word "Karpanjärvi" in the map (Loezi: :laffo:, like I had the original maps. But I did check the modern topographical maps and there's something resembling a ridge around here). The left limit of the sector is the mouth of Karpanoja ditch. II platoon, under the command of res.2nd.lt Piitulainen is to march to Kääntämä strait, where it reinforces the sector ranging from the strait itself to the mouth of Karpanoja ditch. Leave by 2.00, arrive by 4.00. (Loezi: That's during the night, in case you didn't catch we're using the 24h clock).

1.00: The platoon of res.2nd.lt Piitulainen departs towards Kääntämä strait.

2.00: II platoon, under command of res.lt. Julkunen, departs to lake Mölkönlampi.

3.00 - 4.00: Men are pointed their positions, the sector is prepared for defensive action. The sector is divided into bases "Rock", "Island" and "Cape". Trained manning the positions. Multiple cases of frostbite due to severe cold and lack of tents.

Mild artillery fire. No attack.

Order of Cpt. Laakso: Detachment J will take charge of the sector limiting on the right on Karpanoja ditch and on the left on Kääntämä strait. The detachment will occupy the strait area with a single platoon. Rest of the detachment will act as the reserve in the northern area of the battalion sector, around the area of Karpanoja ditch. Must stay prepared for immediate action and build counterattack ski trails to the directions of Kääntämä strait, Karpanoja ditch and lake Mölkönlampi

Approx. 8.00: Ordered the company quartermaster to load vehicles and drive along the supply road from lake Taivallampi to Kääntämä strait, until a guide sent by the detachment commander is met. The guide will point the place for the new company camp.

Approx. 9.00: Sgt. Lehti tasked with finding a new site for the company camp near the supply road, around the height of Karpanoja ditch (Loezi: :laffo: at beginning the process to find the site one hour after telling the guys to start heading for it. Also, there's no clear indication of where the new site is, but I suspect it's around this area).

9.00 - 11.00: After res.2nd.lt Houttu's platoon arrived, II platoon was allowed to leave the line on a squad-by-squad basis to follow Sgt. Lehti's ski trail to the west. After reaching a place where it was screened from the sight of the enemy, the men had to temporarily build fires (Loezi: Must have been pretty cold).

13.00: Baggage train arrives. Work to set up new camp is started. Close-in guard detail is set. Medium artillery fire.

Heavy exchange of fire in the direction Jänissaari and "Birch" (Loezi: One of the code-named listening posts set up a few weeks earlier. Exact location unknown) during the early morning. No enemy at the Kääntämä strait.

8.00 - 17.00: Ensonite tents (Loezi: literally layered cardboard) are being built. Special difficulties due to deep ground frost and extremely rocky terrain. A field-stable is built. At the Kääntämä strait, field fortifications are improved.

Quiet with the exception of light artillery fire. Reconnoitred the nearby area. Kääntämä strait field fortifications are improved.

Kääntämä strait field fortifications are improved. Created a trip-obstacle on the ice, together with mines to raise an alarm.

11.00 - 14.00: Created a counterattack ski trail from the camp area to the area north of lake Mölkönlampi.

Quiet overall.

--

Next time: The priorities of a Finn are somewhat unique

Loezi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 6, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Counter
Attack
Ski
Trails

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

JcDent posted:

Counter
Attack
Ski
Trails

As a curiosity, that's a single word in Finnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mllaneza posted:

That's a good costume idea and you should do that.

A friend of mine from college does Steampunk Workers of the World Unite.

Historians are fun people.