Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phosphine posted:

gently caress you alllllll.

:(

The page header still says "Buy Pixel, Chromecast, Google home and much more", despite offering exactly one of those.

Not available in Norway yet, probably because it hasn't been "invented" in Luxembourg or "designed" in Ireland yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Decius posted:

That's the thing I hate most with Google. They go out of their way to make it difficult for you to buy their products if you aren't American. With Samsung, Apple, LG even Amazon they at least try to sell you their product, Google does the opposite, you have to jump through hoops to get it. Still waiting for Youtube Red. Or a version of Youtube Live that's not a version I have to download from APK-Mirror. Or a Google Home I don't have to import with all the hassles once you have an issue that requires you to call support.

Yup. Even in Canada, the literal next door neighbour, we get hosed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MMD3 posted:

and the processing speed is substantially slower than the iPhone 8...

The other points are because of hardware cycles and Google didn't know Apple would include wireless charging. Next year I assume it's back again. However, the speed of the 835 is faster than anything you will need, even a few years down the road, You probably will exchange either phone - iPhone or Pixel -, before the speed is an issue because of the battery (or damage if your S7 Edge is an indicator ;)). Benchmarks are mostly bragging rights at this point, where the middle class is already fast enough for nearly everything. In real use a Pixel or Note or V30 might be faster than a iPhone in the one case and slower in the next, but overall both have more power than you can put to use (even with AR/VR gimmicks).

Also, I simply can't get over how badly Google hosed up the Pixel 2 design. How can you make something that's beaten by your beloved 2013 device with the same screen size. There's 4 years of tech development and miniaturization between them:

Front facing speakers fit into small bezels as the XL (and Nexus 6) have shown. The N5 even had wireless charging and a headphone jack fitted into the smaller chassis. Considering the improvements in 18650 capacity in the time (2700 mAh to 3500 mAh in the same size) the battery shouldn't be bigger either despite the higher capacity if they didn't cheap out.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 5, 2017

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup. Even in Canada, the literal next door neighbour, we get hosed.

Man I don't think I can justify $1300 CAD after taxes for a phone that needs an adapter to plug my headphones in. I don't even know what phone to get now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In non pixel news, the Google feed settings changed again, allowing you to better customize the notifications you never wanted.

Seriously. I noticed it updated because I got a weather update while standing outside.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Decius posted:

That's the thing I hate most with Google. They go out of their way to make it difficult for you to buy their products if you aren't American. With Samsung, Apple, LG even Amazon they at least try to sell you their product, Google does the opposite, you have to jump through hoops to get it. Still waiting for Youtube Red. Or a version of Youtube Live that's not a version I have to download from APK-Mirror. Or a Google Home I don't have to import with all the hassles once you have an issue that requires you to call support.
This. I really want to give Google my money, but they won't let me. :argh:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow, somehow they made the xl even uglier this year. What were they thinking with those beveled edges on the screen? It actually makes the the screenless portion of the front look even bigger. The glass antenna back is still hideous, and you loose the headphone jack? What a deal!

At least you can now buy a pair of headphones which have the same battery life as truly wireless headphones like the earpods, but are still connected with a wire, cost about as much, look ENORMOUS, and are advertising themselves as having a multifunction button to activate Google Assistant, like every wireless headphones for the past 5 years has had.

I'mma go blow my money right now!

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I used a Moto X Pure (2015) since it released until I got an iPhone 6 (2014) from my company some months later. I recently had to return the iPhone 6 and pick up the Moto X again, and some stuff felt extremely laggy in comparison to the iPhone 6, more specifically the keyboard (even when using the stock keyboard in Android vs using Swiftkey in IOS) and the chrome/instagram scrolling having constant framerate drops.

I really, really want to go back to Android (I think that as an OS it just offers much more than iOS does) but I don't want to be clearing cachés and get frustrated with bad performance 1-2 years from now. I'm not sure how objective my experience is since the motox had a somewhat mediocre processor so I need to ask to Pixel 1 owners (specially if you also own an iPhone):

How do you think the phone has aged? Have you experienced stutters, lagging, camera crashes or similar after using the phone for a year?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If I wait to order a Pixel 2 XL until Black Friday, will it have shipped by Xmas? It might be pointless to speculate but I'd appreciate any informed opinions

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Google Home should be loving paying us to install them, honestly. I can only imagine how much money they make being able to mine our home lives to advertisers.

Given how much Google already mines you if you actually buy into their ecosystem, I have a tough time imagining they're getting that much more out of the Home. Probably the best data they get is data on what media you're watching, playing, or listening to. Certainly that's valuable information but what does it matter to you? You get to turn on your lights and control your theater and thermostat with your voice along with a host of other conveniences. I guess I'm confused why anyone would care that Google knows you like anime.

I certainly understand being concerned about privacy from the government when it comes to Homes (I rationalize that by telling myself that if you actually listened to me in my house I'd come off way better than I probably do on a report) but I just don't get the whole GOOGLE IS USING THIS TO ADVERTISE TO YOU thing because I just think "Yeah, that's why their poo poo works so much better than Apple poo poo that actively tries to avoid learning anything about me."

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Also how the gently caress does Google get away with listing SmartThings as a "partner" on the Google Home Mini page, when they intentionally broke Nest thermostat compatibility with SmartThings?

Why should Google make it available to them? I'm sure they are meeting whatever obligations they have to call themselves a ST partner, I don't see why they should allow their products to be used outside their ecosystem.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a year left on my fi payment plan for pixel 1 and it's taking all of my will power to not do a trade in and get the 2 and just keep paying monthly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Dunno about Spain but I've seen more Vertus than Pixels in Italy. Google used to let MediaMarkt/MediaWorld handle the bulk of nexus sales(while having a minimal web footprint on the play store for aficionados) but with pixels they moved all the sales to the web and they suffered heavily for that.
Only turbonerds buy phones directly online here(mostly cheap chinese noname crap from ebay/amazon), people tend to buy after tinkering with the phone in a store so having zero options to look before you buy had a significant impact on sales. Huawei ate the niche nexuses had in the brick&mortar stores for a decent phone without paying used car prices and pretty much saturating the slot pixels reside in before their release.
I can easily attest that at 900+ euros people are going to flock to either a huawei p10 or Samsung s8(you can find them easily with a hefty provider discount) before even thinking about pixels, there is no advertisements here about them and the only people that could be aware of them(android maniacs) will play the usual sing/dance about wanting a rear wheel drive coupe at a low cost and not committing once they finally get one(because they cannot afford it) while being vocal about some niggling issue(because they don't want to be mocked when they don't buy one):iiaca:

I think that Google should have prioritized their top tier android one products launch before pixels for the Italian market, there are a lot of old wp nokias here that are going to die soon(either by not having support after EoL for WP7 or 8 or mechanic/electronic wear&tear) and people who bought a >100€ phone are not going to buy a 1000€ phone to replace it, they will scrounge 200-300€ to replace them and that's exactly where the Motorola and htc android one are going to be.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 5, 2017

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Ugh, I'm not sure if I made the right choice with buying the P2 vs the 2 XL. I know LG is a pain, but I think I might miss the screen size coming from a Moto X Pure (huge and heavy).

Has anyone ever gone through a return with Google to get a different phone?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

sparticus posted:

Ugh, I'm not sure if I made the right choice with buying the P2 vs the 2 XL. I know LG is a pain, but I think I might miss the screen size coming from a Moto X Pure (huge and heavy).

Has anyone ever gone through a return with Google to get a different phone?

Can't you just cancel the order? Surely it hasn't shipped yet or anything right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SlowBloke posted:

Dunno about Spain but I've seen more Vertus than Pixels in Italy. Google used to let MediaMarkt/MediaWorld handle the bulk of nexus sales(while having a minimal web footprint on the play store for aficionados) but with pixels they moved all the sales to the web and they suffered heavily for that.
In Germany, next to selling on the store, they're also going to distribute it through MediaMarkt/Saturn, they say 12 weeks from now (December). In the UK, I've spotted it on Clove, who claim mid-November already. I hope my new bank hurries up with the drat credit card, so I'm likely to order it in the UK.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Kreeblah posted:

I'm not seeing a whole lot that's compelling about the 2 over what I already have.

The Pixel 2 is spincube certified™:

quote:

With Pixel 2, you can access your Google Assistant with a new feature called Active Edge. Just give the phone a quick squeeze—even when it’s in a case—and ask the Assistant for what you need.
Your Assistant now helps you manage more settings and apps on your phone. You can say “turn on do not disturb” on your way into the theater, instead of navigating settings

https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/new-pixel-2/

Demoed in this hands on starting ~6:17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Idlk4VgjA&t=377s

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

100% Dundee posted:

Can't you just cancel the order? Surely it hasn't shipped yet or anything right?

I can cancel. It's more of a personal preference. I have large hands at 6'4 so the size wouldn't be an issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sparticus posted:

I can cancel. It's more of a personal preference. I have large hands at 6'4 so the size wouldn't be an issue.

The physical size of the handsets are pretty close, it's really a matter of your preference for the screen size and the lack of Kinda Blue.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

LastInLine posted:

The physical size of the handsets are pretty close, it's really a matter of your preference for the screen size and the lack of Kinda Blue.

I made the switch to the XL at 128GB because I am dumb.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh poo poo there's a bellroy leather case for the 2/2XL and it comes in Navy.

gently caress I'm strongly tempted to buy it, but I'm wondering what Caseology is gonna turn out.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Maneki Neko posted:

How is Googles Preferred Care thing, I’ve had nothing but lovely times with Assurant in the past (unless I’m confusing them with someone else)

While Assurant in general is pretty bad, the Preferred Care FKA Device Protection FKA Nexus Protect has worked really well for me. If you can afford it, I recommend it. I'm quite clumsy, so I've had to use it both on my Pixel XL and my Nexus 6P.

You make a claim, pay the $99 deductible, they send a refurb phone in a box, you print out a return label and ship it back with FedEx or USPS in the same box.

Yes you have to pay for the plan AND the deductible when it breaks, but it sure beats spending another $600-$1000 when you crack the screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smilingfish posted:

Yes you have to pay for the plan AND the deductible when it breaks, but it sure beats spending another $600-$1000 when you crack the screen.

You shouldn't have to do that anyways since Google is partnered with uBreakifix for flat rate screen replacement for $149.

On that note though, I didn't hear anything about that this time, do we know if Google is continuing that partnership for the Pixel 2?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cable posted:

I don't want to be clearing cachés

This was never a thing that had to be done on Android ever, it was something people did because they assumed Android worked like Windows computers for some reason.

Or are you talking about when lovely apps break? And not when "I have programs running in the background."

quote:

How do you think the phone has aged? Have you experienced stutters, lagging, camera crashes or similar after using the phone for a year?

No. It's a great phone. It's pretty flawless unless you're one of those wireless charging babies.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 5, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cable posted:

Nothing on Android comes close to the pixel experience, which is on par with the iPhone experience.

Get a Pixel (1 or 2, either way).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Wasn't there some news about linking Google Home to a Chromecast and using it to display results or something a few months ago?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilkhan posted:

Nothing on Android comes close to the pixel experience, which is on par with the iPhone experience.

Get a Pixel (1 or 2, either way).

didnt know the iphone experience was `com.android.phone has crashed`

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cable posted:

I used a Moto X Pure (2015) since it released until I got an iPhone 6 (2014) from my company some months later. I recently had to return the iPhone 6 and pick up the Moto X again, and some stuff felt extremely laggy in comparison to the iPhone 6, more specifically the keyboard (even when using the stock keyboard in Android vs using Swiftkey in IOS) and the chrome/instagram scrolling having constant framerate drops.

I really, really want to go back to Android (I think that as an OS it just offers much more than iOS does) but I don't want to be clearing cachés and get frustrated with bad performance 1-2 years from now. I'm not sure how objective my experience is since the motox had a somewhat mediocre processor so I need to ask to Pixel 1 owners (specially if you also own an iPhone):

it aged like every android I've ever had: terribly

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

^^ I haven't had any issues with my Pixel 1 and have been happy with the performance.

sparticus posted:

I made the switch to the XL at 128GB because I am dumb.

Pre-ordered the regular 128GB yesterday, but now thinking of doing the same after staring at the dimensions. Not a fan of potential LG issues, but buying direct through Google should mitigate that if anything major arises.

ok_dirdel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 5, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've never done a phone trade in before but my 6p is now fully paid off and I'm looking to buy the XL2. Obviously I want to transfer my data from the 6p to the XL2, so if I choose to finance the XL2, can I be charged for the full price, wait to send the 6P back until I transfer data, and then they'd take the trade in value off of my remaining balance? Is that how it works?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Themage posted:

it aged like every android I've ever had: terribly

o rly

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've never done a phone trade in before but my 6p is now fully paid off and I'm looking to buy the XL2. Obviously I want to transfer my data from the 6p to the XL2, so if I choose to finance the XL2, can I be charged for the full price, wait to send the 6P back until I transfer data, and then they'd take the trade in value off of my remaining balance? Is that how it works?

What "data" do you intend to transfer?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Themage posted:

I don't know anyone else who has had an exceptionally negative experience with their Pixel aging, but if you think iphones age well you're mistaken.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Themage posted:

lol if you've never had your iPhone reboot or suddenly have Springboard crash.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know anyone else who has had an exceptionally negative experience with their Pixel aging, but if you think iphones age well you're mistaken.
There was that one guy (shoogaslim?) that went through like three of them. My first one had half the screen fail, but this one has had zero problems.

e: oh, aging, missed that part, lol

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

nimper posted:

What "data" do you intend to transfer?

Game save data, stuff not backed up on the cloud, etc? The cable to cable transfer sort of stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Themage posted:

Lmao my 6S crashes all the time dude

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

bull3964 posted:

You shouldn't have to do that anyways since Google is partnered with uBreakifix for flat rate screen replacement for $149.

On that note though, I didn't hear anything about that this time, do we know if Google is continuing that partnership for the Pixel 2?

I believe it carries protection outside of just screen breaks. I dropped my Nexus 6p and the volume button got jammed down and they replaced it. I also think for water damage they'll replace it. I haven't read the tos though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Fhqwhgads posted:

That's exactly the way it works. They include a return shipping box for the trade in, and once you have the new phone you ship back the old one.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

That's exactly the way it works. They include a return shipping box for the trade in, and once you have the new phone you ship back the old one.

OK perfect, thanks.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

bull3964 posted:

That is true, yes. You can even get repairs under the plan at uBreakifix for the cost of the deductible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

smilingfish posted:

That is true, yes. You can even get repairs under the plan at uBreakifix for the cost of the deductible.

I think the plan covers things beyond screen repair, like total destruction of your phone.