Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Okay, maybe 25%-30%, but you do it A LOT.

1: Still nope.
2: I love how you're trying to turn this around on me, as if I'm the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Maybe he does it a lot because connected, affluent white people on twitter really loving love to ignore POC to their left, often to a :yikes: degree as was presented here.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

majorian... stop this!!! stop!!! bad boy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

1: Still nope.
2: I love how you're trying to turn this around on me, as if I'm the problem.

1. maybe its just the posts that I see, but i still feel like this is a behavior that you do, and i find it weird.
2. Por que no los dos?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The first step to joining the Bernard Brotherhood is silencing a woman or POC on twitter. Saw it on MSNBC this morning, makes me sick.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Wherein Clintonistas erase more black leftists:

https://twitter.com/KiranOpal/status/913772386994065409

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/913803450915463168

(Talmadge, of course, blocked her after this)

Clintonistas on Twitter are the literal worst.

i enlarged and read these and don't know why anyone cares-- am I reading Twitter celebrities I should have heard of? I mean reading random tweets is good enough for 2009 CNN, I guess.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

i enlarged and read these and don't know why anyone cares-- am I reading Twitter celebrities I should have heard of? I mean reading random tweets is good enough for 2009 CNN, I guess.

Gray herself wrote about why this is an important thing to talk about in Current Affairs last month:

quote:

the “bro” stereotype entirely erased the perspectives of countless women and people of color who did not share the center-left political position. The “Bernie Bro” mythology—that progressives are almost exclusively white, male, and young—will not die, no matter how often women and people of color try to speak up to disprove it. In all the words spilled about the uninterrupted whiteness of Sanders supporters, prominent “Bros” like Rosario Dawson, Ben Jealous, Pramila Jayapal, Eddie Glaude, Spike Lee, Killer Mike, Cornel West, and Nina Turner went largely unmentioned. Hillary supporters were appalled that leftists challenged civil rights hero John Lewis’s commitment to Clinton, but it seems civil rights legend Harry Belafonte was considered less sacrosanct—his endorsement of Bernie Sanders was whited-out of the public discourse along with the perspectives of Michelle Alexander and Ta-Nehisi Coates—both of whom are generally considered among the most respected liberal thought leaders. One of the most powerful pro-Black Lives Matter messages heard during the entire campaign was a Sanders video featuring Erica Garner talking about her father, but Garner was an inconvenient figure for the narrative. As black progressive Leslie Lee III said in March 2016:

“Me, myself, and many other POC, people of color, who support Bernie Sanders, feel like we don’t get to be a part of the conversation. We get ignored. We get erased. It’s assumed that the black vote, the Hispanic vote, and everyone is all behind Hillary Clinton and none of us really get Bernie Sanders or like Bernie Sanders.”

quote:

Twitter has been an especially revealing host forum to this ugly friction between identity and ideology: there, unapologetically leftist people of color and women are routinely shouted down, called race traitors, self-hating women, or, incredibly, are accused of being white—even by people with white-presenting avatars. Twitter is where you can find a liberal Democrat referring to Our Revolution president Nina Turner as “Bernie’s Omarosa.” It’s disorienting to see white (and black) liberals calling leftists of color sellouts, Uncle Toms, “coons,” house-slaves, and well, white people, all in the name of anti-racism. But the Bernie Bro framework tells us that all the racists are at the fringes of the political spectrum, while the middle remains pure. Progressive women or leftists of color therefore present a kind of glitch in the matrix. The solution? Deny our existence. Leftists of color are regularly told—by white liberals!—that we are white and/or secretly racist. And while stories about the sexism Clinton supporters faced online are familiar, the racism and sexism directed by the center against the left are ignored. Purported anti-racist Democrats stayed largely silent as an Islamophobic smear campaign was waged against progressive black Muslim Representative Keith Ellison, one of the ugliest instances of bigotry to come out of the Democratic Party in recent history.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

guess I need to know the twitter handles of current affairs writers now

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

guess I need to know the twitter handles of current affairs writers now

Or you could simply Google them. That's a good way to find basic information about things.:)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 5, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Google @bendtheknee69neoliberaldinguses to make sure they're not a current affairs writer, got it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

double post triple post

Don't have yuge hands or you keep hitting quote instead of edit

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Google @bendtheknee69neoliberaldinguses to make sure they're not a current affairs writer, got it.

a post that sucked so much you had to make it twice

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

a post that sucked so much you had to make it twice

Three times actually.

I've got bad news for you about your entire post history though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Maybe he does it a lot because connected, affluent white people on twitter really loving love to ignore POC to their left, often to a :yikes: degree as was presented here.

I can't believe that the people who nominated and supported a literal slaveowner for president would have issues with race.

Almost like.....they're the real racists all along :eek:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

I can't believe that the people who nominated and supported a literal slaveowner for president would have issues with race.

Hillary owned slaves?!?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

C. Everett Koop posted:

Democrats are the real racists lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Democrats are the real racists lol

*reads your title*

Well, some certainly are.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Im not sure it's a great idea to relitigate people's post history in this thread but it's your life friend.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I mean, what am I supposed to do when you leave yourself open like that, JC?

(also I don't think I've ever defended slavery or sweatshops, so...)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Oh this nonsense again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh this nonsense again

She didn't own them, they came with the house.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

More slaver than slaveowner, tbh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And she only accepted the slaves because she was selflessly motivated to reduce the state budget deficit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
God forbid we give prisoners valuable work experience while they pay their debt to society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nevvy Z posted:

God forbid we give prisoners valuable work experience while they pay their debt to society.

It's just as well that the justice system can be trusted to be fair and proportionate, especially involving the most vulnerable members of society and historically oppressed minorities.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
They're better off here, working the fields, than back in their heathen indolent African villages.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Nah, this is actual slavery. https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

Hillary was just dumb and lacked any amount of empathy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

God forbid we give slaves valuable work experience while they pay their debt to their masters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also unpaid internships are great because they give kids valuable work experience as they learn to be members of society.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just lol if you are more worried about constitutional slavery than unconstitutional slavery.

:sparkles:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there some kind of bad dem signal that gets lit up the moment somebody points out that centrists are prone to horrible racism that summons you lot to try denying and whataboutizing it away?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Is there some kind of bad dem signal that gets lit up the moment somebody points out that centrists are prone to horrible racism that summons you lot to try denying and whataboutizing it away?

I dunno, no one's really pointed out any horrible racism in this thread recently, just one random white woman being slightly insensitive on twitter while talking to black friends who were saying things she agreed with about fake twitter users. Specifically "you can tell some of these weren't written by black people." What a horrible racist.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 5, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Just lol if you are more worried about constitutional slavery than unconstitutional slavery.

lol if you get pedantic about types of slavery and only care about some forms enough to vote for a literal slaveowner in 2016

Nevvy Z posted:

I dunno, no one's really pointed out any horrible racism in this thread recently, just one random white woman being slightly insensitive on twitter while talking to black friends who were saying things she agreed with about fake twitter users.

of course not because the liberals learned their lesson last thread and don't try to claim things like "black people cost Hillary the election because the men are sexist"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

loving :laffo:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the people who make use of prison labor are way more willing to hire current prisoners than they ever are to hire ex-cons. california's prison fire brigades make the "valuable work experience!!" excuse too, and then refuse to hire ex-cons as firefighters

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think it's more that when leftists post attacks on democrats that are indistinguishable from Sean Hannity rants, people queue up to mock them.

"The people who nominated and supported Hillary Clinton are the real racists!!!"

So, uh, Bernie sanders and every non-idiot leftist is a racist?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol if you get pedantic about types of slavery and only care about some forms enough to vote for a literal slaveowner in 2016

"constitutionality is pedantry"

:yikes:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
oh well if the constitution says slavery is ok i guess we should all be fine with it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

the people who make use of prison labor are way more willing to hire current prisoners than they ever are to hire ex-cons. california's prison fire brigades make the "valuable work experience!!" excuse too, and then refuse to hire ex-cons as firefighters

I wanted to respond to this issue as it is something I actually know something about.

My brother in law is a fire captain in california. he manages teams that consist of volunteers, career firemen, and prisoners. He is a pretty non political guy, so he doesn't subscribe to republican or democrat ideologies at all. He just wants to live in the mountains and be one with nature. His opinion of the use of prison labor for firefighting is very mixed. on one hand he would rather those jobs go to career men and women, and have them get paid well. The problem is that firefighters don't get paid well enough, the risk is really high, and the state doesn't ever increase their budgets despite the severe increase in fires year over year. Without the prisoner labor, the west would burn far worse than it did this summer. Most of the prisoners that get to work fire detail are not high risk people. most are in for drug crimes, theft, or other non violent acts. The program is not mandatory and every prisoner wants to be there. Ultimately it is not a simple "all prison labor is bad" as a good number of those people have a place to go work after they get out. and, as it turns out it is the number one way firefighters in some areas get new recruits. so your point about ex cons not getting hired is not exactly true.

I don't think it is a good system, and I would rather the budgets for fire departments were tripled or quadrupled in order to high non prisoners, but don't dismiss the value of such a program if it is managed properly. The potential for abuse in prison labor is really high, but it doesnt mean there arent good prison labor jobs out there that actual prisoners would rather do than not. Ideally we wipe out the prisoner population by ending drug crime laws, and make it so critical state jobs are filled by career people who get paid a solid wage. Until then, don't act like all prison labor is slavery.

• Locked thread