Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

what the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Check the fax, grandad.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
please don't troll

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

please don't troll

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
GW is good now and in that wake other companies are battling it out to become the new Bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Check the fax, grandad.

I mean you might as well have used a pie chart at this point

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
pie charts are very apropos for games workshop, because they are bad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think you will find that all games and game companies are bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is this archon studios kickstarter a scam or what

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All of Spartan Games stuff ecept Halo was bought by Wayland Games, so Dystopian Wars-Legions/Firestorm Armada-Planetfall/Uncharted Seas lives again

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spiderdrake posted:

Is this archon studios kickstarter a scam or what

I doubt it's a scam, but it's a big step up for the company. One of the things that puts me off is when they set the target number super low, in this case only $5000 and then have the stretch goals mapped out. That tells me that the stretch goals are the actual target numbers for the kickstarter but they were too nervous to go that high for fear of not getting any funding at all. But they've delivered on past kickstarters apparently so it might end up being fine.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

All of Spartan Games stuff ecept Halo was bought by Wayland Games, so Dystopian Wars-Legions/Firestorm Armada-Planetfall/Uncharted Seas lives again

I see you are unfamiliar with Wayland Games.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think you will find that all games and game companies are bad.

I dunno man, sometimes I am playing a game and I am like, huh, this experience is enjoyable, because the people who made it were both talented enough to make a good game and were willing to put in the effort required to do so. it's a good experience IMO

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NTRabbit posted:

lmao that was a dumb purchase

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I dunno man, sometimes I am playing a game and I am like, huh, this experience is enjoyable, because the people who made it were both talented enough to make a good game and were willing to put in the effort required to do so. it's a good experience IMO
:agreed:
That's how I feel about gmt games and how designers like Carl Paradis (No Retreat) communicate with fans of the games on BGG to help improve the next version.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've played Kings of War recently and it was good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

please don't troll

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've played 8th edition recently and it was good.
:popeye:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I also played Dropfleet and then another guy liked it and we both bought fleets but he decided to cancel his order and now I have a small fleet and no one else does and I'm sad.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I also played Dropfleet and then another guy liked it and we both bought fleets but he decided to cancel his order and now I have a small fleet and no one else does and I'm sad.

Same, except an Admiral pledge worth.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nice stealth edit snipe :page2snypa:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TTerrible posted:

Same, except an Admiral pledge worth.

I'll probably have to buy a second small fleet just so I can run mini games of it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

I doubt it's a scam, but it's a big step up for the company. One of the things that puts me off is when they set the target number super low, in this case only $5000 and then have the stretch goals mapped out. That tells me that the stretch goals are the actual target numbers for the kickstarter but they were too nervous to go that high for fear of not getting any funding at all. But they've delivered on past kickstarters apparently so it might end up being fine.
Yeah shieldwolf did that, again, and canceled their low flying kickstarter again.

The rumor atm is that GW sent them a C&D when, you know, they've done the exact same thing before.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Spartan deserved to fail for putting a map in the Uncharted Seas rulebook. I mean, come on. :colbert:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Not a death, but a minor flesh wound: Privateer Press decided to let the community test new model rules for Warmachine before releasing them, using this vast player pool for testing and tweaking. This is cool and good.

However, during the testing process for Cryx, noone either caught or mentioned that these guys are, well, more than a little good now, you know? A very dominant list surfaced shortly after the tested rules were fully implemented into the game. Alongside another, already established powerlist (2 list format is the norm), the faction is now dominant.

How dominant? During the latest World Team Championship, which hosted more than 300 players, Cryx won something like 70% of their games, and had a positive win ratio against EVERY other faction.

Keep in mind that Team Tournaments tend to bring hard counters for specific lists and can have very onesided matchups during pairing. People brought their Cryx silver bullets. It didn't help.

Game balance is hard.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

What does that say about the vast player pool of Warmachine?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

NTRabbit posted:

Player pool vs tournament pool. They were trying to control years of faction bloat within lists, so they throw a whole bunch of restrictions/bonuses to the wall which made a whole new set of problems.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
To me it reads like the Cryx tournament players stumbled upon a combo in the playtesting and didn't publicize it and then when the rules were made official they went hog wild.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

what?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

I think he means numbers not weight.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

xposting from the historicals thread

Geisladisk posted:

I noticed something while setting up my oath shot. Pendraken's 10mm Tigers are way, way too big. In real life, Panzer IVs were just a little shorter than Tigers. The scale is way off, the Tigers are way too big - And this seems to affect all their Tiger variants. Their Tiger II and Jagdtiger are the same giant size.

It hurts. I can't even look at them now without my inner grog trembling in agony. :froggonk:

Pendraken bad :mad:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Luebbi posted:

Not a death, but a minor flesh wound: Privateer Press decided to let the community test new model rules for Warmachine before releasing them, using this vast player pool for testing and tweaking. This is cool and good.

However, during the testing process for Cryx, noone either caught or mentioned that these guys are, well, more than a little good now, you know? A very dominant list surfaced shortly after the tested rules were fully implemented into the game. Alongside another, already established powerlist (2 list format is the norm), the faction is now dominant.

How dominant? During the latest World Team Championship, which hosted more than 300 players, Cryx won something like 70% of their games, and had a positive win ratio against EVERY other faction.

Keep in mind that Team Tournaments tend to bring hard counters for specific lists and can have very onesided matchups during pairing. People brought their Cryx silver bullets. It didn't help.

Game balance is hard.

As a cryx player the problem is with ghost fleet which never went into CID and not dark host.

Dark host is really really good, but has weaknesses. Ghost fleet on the other hand is loving broken as hell and really unfun to play against. Another major problem is Denny who I really would like to see nerfed a bit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Deep down I wish I had a complete 2e 40k starter set.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NTRabbit posted:

They did the same thing in x-wing and the playtesting done with the Jumpmaster. Turns out if you have players dedicated to certain factions or want them to succeed in some way, they have an incentive not to be forthcoming with playtesting data. :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Deep down I wish I had a complete 2e 40k starter set.

I've got one, just missing the two marine squads. All orks, terrain and cardboard dread present.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TTerrible posted:

I've got one, just missing the two marine squads. All orks, terrain and cardboard dread present.

Do I even want to know what shipping to SEA would be?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do I even want to know what shipping to SEA would be?

I didn't say it was for sale :smuggo:

If you ever find yourself in London, UK you can play Orks :unsmith:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

They did the same thing in x-wing and the playtesting done with the Jumpmaster. Turns out if you have players dedicated to certain factions or want them to succeed in some way, they have an incentive not to be forthcoming with playtesting data. :v:
There is no one that invested in Scum, I'm sorry. I've heard the above many times but I think it's a myth. I think the more likely story is that it just wasn't seen during playtesting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TTerrible posted:

I didn't say it was for sale :smuggo:

If you ever find yourself in London, UK you can play Orks :unsmith:

Oh yeah, maybe I will. :colbert: Assuming you have beer of course. Lots of it. Like, all of it. Cuz I'm going to drink it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

There is no one that invested in Scum, I'm sorry. I've heard the above many times but I think it's a myth. I think the more likely story is that it just wasn't seen during playtesting.

I'm pretty invested in scum and that ship has lots of nice painting opportunities. Given the chance I'd have made boba Fett really OP too.

• Locked thread