Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xzzy posted:

God loving dammit Carl, do not tell me you just bombed my elevators again! :mad:

That plane crashed and everyone aboard died so it really isn't that funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Christ.

I wonder which of them was out of formation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here's a good video on problematic munitions releases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

The one at 0:50s in really didn't want to leave the plane.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 2, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here's a good video on problematic munitions releases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

The one at 0:50s in really didn't want to leave the plane.

No mommy, don't leave me!
A lot of those look like the released a non-powered store while attempting to descend at the same time. An empty drop tank's going to want to fly a bit.
Some of those missiles did some fucky stuff, though, too.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Thats what mickey rooney did. He said the worst was when they lost hydraulics because the gear would usually not come down either and the gunners need hydraulics to align the hatch and get out of the bubble. They would have to just land on the poor guy.

E: i think he mentioned it was usually the guy that saved all their asses to get them home too. Theres a good interview out there of him talking about being a photographer in these bombers. He saw some poo poo and survived way longer than most did. I have no idea how he was so drat cheery.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 2, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DogonCrook posted:

Thats what mickey rooney did. He said the worst was when they lost hydraulics because the gear would usually not come down either and the gunners need hydraulics to align the hatch and get out of the bubble. They would have to just land on the poor guy.

All he had to do was concentrate real hard on his cartoon landing gear.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ok not mickey rooney lol, it was an old news guy. I dont know why i was thinking it was him.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Andy Rooney.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah thats the guy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That explains his curmudgeoness

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Goober Peas posted:

That explains his curmudgeoness

Landing a bomber on my head would make me a bit grumpy, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The thing is, we just made use of the lack of data. Look at all the planes which made it back from missions, and increase the protection anywhere you couldn't find evidence of damage.

If you saw the damage on a plane that had flown back, it clearly wasn't enough to disable it. Any areas always found undamaged, though, indicates that being hit there always downs the plane, so none got home to show it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/bVP5LQK.gifv

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Drain plug working as intended.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That glued on plastic sheet behind the door card must be some seriously good poo poo on a merc

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd bet its a seal meant to weep, but clogged with enough debris that it doesn't weep anymore.

Story time... so my friend's boat normally sits on a trailer with a wimpy construction tarp over it, and the bilge just fills up with rainwater. Before heading out to the river one weekend, I pulled the drain plug so it would drain out during the drive over to the boat ramp.

Get to the ramp, I screw the plug in, launch the boat and take off down the river. Immediately notice the boat is sitting pretty heavy and the carpets back by the transom were wet. Dread washed over me immediately.. did we lose the drain plug? Did I strip the fucker out, not get it tight enough? Pulled the boat back out of the water and the plug was still there thank god, pulled the plug and nothing came out. :confused: ...until my friend rooted around in there with an end of a twig, breaking the mud plug holding back what ended up being probably 30 gallons of foul bilge water.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Superior German weather seals

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
If you haven't launched a boat without the drain plug, you aren't a real mariner. Ditto to flaring a brake line without putting the flare nut on...

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
My dad's neon did that years and years ago. When I got in the car I immediately heard the sloshing and he said he knew but had no idea where it was coming from. I opened up the passenger door, shook it to prove it had water, then dumped a couple of gallons out.

When I think back on that and all the other poo poo those poor neons put up with I'm pretty impressed with how long they lasted. The one of them ran for 40,000 miles with a blown head gasket and mud in the oil and coolant--it only died because the radiator started leaking and all the mud came out on the highway. :(

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

chrisgt posted:

If you haven't launched a boat without the drain plug, you aren't a real mariner.

I always liked the trick of pulling the drain plug while underway (in a little boat) to drain the standing water.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Ditto to flaring a brake line without putting the flare nut on...

I just tried to throw a wrench after reading that. I don't even have a wrench near me.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

NoWake posted:

I'd bet its a seal meant to weep, but clogged with enough debris that it doesn't weep anymore.

Story time... so my friend's boat normally sits on a trailer with a wimpy construction tarp over it, and the bilge just fills up with rainwater. Before heading out to the river one weekend, I pulled the drain plug so it would drain out during the drive over to the boat ramp.

Get to the ramp, I screw the plug in, launch the boat and take off down the river. Immediately notice the boat is sitting pretty heavy and the carpets back by the transom were wet. Dread washed over me immediately.. did we lose the drain plug? Did I strip the fucker out, not get it tight enough? Pulled the boat back out of the water and the plug was still there thank god, pulled the plug and nothing came out. :confused: ...until my friend rooted around in there with an end of a twig, breaking the mud plug holding back what ended up being probably 30 gallons of foul bilge water.

Went fishing and boat owner's friend put the motor washout back in the boat. Why is the water so hot?? Also why are we sinking?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

honda whisperer posted:

I just tried to throw a wrench after reading that. I don't even have a wrench near me.
You mean the one you use to do up the pipe union with the ring end?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

honda whisperer posted:

I just want to note that I love the contrast between your user name and your avatar.
(and I've done the stupid flare nut trick, too)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

There's a reason you're not supposed to store your boat on the trailer with the drain plug in.

Also, a boat full of water on a trailer can damage both the boat and the trailer.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I just want to note that I love the contrast between your user name and your avatar.

:3:

Best part is I got it from a drunken rant playing planetside with goons.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

honda whisperer posted:

:3:

Best part is I got it from a drunken rant playing planetside with goons.

Best part is that they had to name the third stroke "ignition" because it wouldn't be reasonable to claim "power" :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chrisgt posted:

flaring a brake line without putting the flare nut on...

guilty

There's nothing more anger-inducing than loving up something yourself so insanely obvious and seemingly-impossible to gently caress up as that

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Darchangel posted:

The stupid flare trick is almost a requirement of high school auto shop (at least for everybody at my school it seemed).

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The only time I forget the flare nut is when I don't have enough brake line to work with because i'm up against a tight factory bend, it's going through the body, etc. So loving up means 10x the work, rather than just doing a new flare.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Never done brake line work so I haven't had a chance to make that mistake yet, but I've definitely spliced quite a few wires without slipping the heat shrink on. Or crimped connectors on to a cable without a boot.

It especially sucks when you're splicing a bunch of cables, do a great job on the splices themselves, then realize your choices are to take it apart and start over or get out the electrical tape.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

While I've forgotten the flare nut once as everyone else, I enjoy flaring, then bending the line...then realizing the flare nut dropped way down and can't make the bend.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I've forgotten the flare nut once as everyone else, I enjoy flaring, then bending the line...then realizing the flare nut dropped way down and can't make the bend.

Yyyyup.

😔

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Never done brake line work so I haven't had a chance to make that mistake yet, but I've definitely spliced quite a few wires without slipping the heat shrink on. Or crimped connectors on to a cable without a boot.

It especially sucks when you're splicing a bunch of cables, do a great job on the splices themselves, then realize your choices are to take it apart and start over or get out the electrical tape.

Guilty, but sometimes I just go 'Ahhh gently caress it' and glob some liquid electric tape on there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wolrah posted:

You would think that someone would make heat shrink strips with an edge prepped with solvent weld or permanent contact adhesive for inline work.

after googling: I feel like I just found the Holy Grail

Probably not as good as a "real" heat shrink tube but I bet good enough for most stuff and better than tape. Looks like 3m makes an armored version for direct burial cable jacket repair.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Slim Pickens posted:

Guilty, but sometimes I just go 'Ahhh gently caress it' and glob some liquid electric tape on there.

This is what self amalg is for.

It's fine until you wrap several splices with it, and they join into one glorious whole. A single mass of rubber after sitting pressed together for however long, that you have to excavate to find what you want.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I got excited until I googled for places to buy and found out they're selling it at a price of over $1/inch on amazon

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

wolrah posted:

Brake lines are the same way. The best flaring job you'll do is one you'll have to cut off to put a nut on.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Split some 3 to 1 ratio heatshrink, curl it around the wire, and heat it. You'll notice that it resists being peeled off the wire without some effort on your part. I'd suggest some electrical tape over top as a "just in case" but I've never had split heatshrink come off on its own once its been shrunk. You can even buy it pre-split for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKMxWBrKBQo

Check your trailer hubs, people.