Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
AI pedalphiles pls weigh in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You may be better off asking the commuter thread in YLLS.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

There's a goddamn touring thread too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:suicide:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hot drat I write software that runs on cargo ships now. I thought that was the best part, until a couple weeks ago when I started installing it on cargo ships.

I dumped a bunch of photos from an install in Norway over in the Maritime Insanity thread, but I was just in Baltimore where we met up with an exec from the shipping company, and he gave us a tour of the vessel.

Here's my team unloading equipment at the port. The port was otherworldly; just a bunch of flat ground with dirt roads and giant dump trucks racing around. It was surprisingly easy to get in; three of us have TWIC cards, and the fourth just showed her driver's license.

The ship was unloading a bunch of slag from a steel mill into these trucks. If there was a lull in the trucks, they'd just unload into piles on the ground.

One of the five cargo holds. That's a very big bulldozer.

View from the bridge:

Gratuitous standing-on-the-engine shot:

Spare cylinder jacket, about 6 feet tall:

Technician installing a shaft torque sensor on the driveshaft:

I checked to make sure there was a wall between these two rooms:

Steering actuator. We were told that, in an emergency, the ship would be steered by someone standing down here, receiving orders on a phone, and using a hand jack to move the rudder. Also, in case of pirates, this room is where the crew is supposed to hunker down. There were printouts on the bridge for weather forecasts, navigational hazards, and pirate alerts. We asked, and the shipping company exec said that his company's ships had some close calls, but no pirate incidents this year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Pretty cool poo poo, dude. What's the room full of acetylene for?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Welding. Cutting. General repairs. I think there are plumbed in oxygen and acetylene systems all over the ship.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

I don't look like poo poo so I didn't go in there :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Welding. Cutting. General repairs. I think there are plumbed in oxygen and acetylene systems all over the ship.

and here I was getting excited about shop air.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You probably don't live in close quarters with the same 20 smelly Ukranian dudes for weeks at a time, so it probably balances out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I got probied once because I posted a real big gif. :downs:

Obviously my forums life is just as exciting as my real life.

I got banned because I accidentally posted a miata for sale using the craigslist edit link instead of the view link and a bunch of goons changed it and put goatse on it. My rap sheet is now tainted. :smith:

siggy thought it was funny when I explained the situation and unbanned me, at least.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Larrymer posted:

I got banned because I accidentally posted a miata for sale using the craigslist edit link instead of the view link and a bunch of goons changed it and put goatse on it. My rap sheet is now tainted. :smith:

siggy thought it was funny when I explained the situation and unbanned me, at least.

Haha. Of all the ways to get nailed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is loving awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Apparently I got banned once posting in FYAD. Lol I don't remember that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have never been probated or banned because I am a boring and generally uninteresting person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My rap sheet fairly accurately documents my manic swings

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Larrymer posted:

a bunch of goons changed it and put goatse on it. My rap sheet is now tainted. :smith:

Seems pretty fair, that is one hell of a taint.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Locator posted:

I have never been probated or banned because I am a boring and generally uninteresting person.

Now that's an amusing way to abu....errrr.... correctly use moderator power

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bet you he's too pussy to try that one again :colbert:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Thoughts? I’m in a Destin next 2 weeks. Already here. Quietly keeping this to myself until I think this through. Seafood fest cancelled but no one else talking about it. I’m in a rock solid place across street from the beach but I move into a townhouse on the beach sunday. poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Thoughts? I’m in a Destin next 2 weeks. Already here. Quietly keeping this to myself until I think this through. Seafood fest cancelled but no one else talking about it. I’m in a rock solid place across street from the beach but I move into a townhouse on the beach sunday. poo poo.

Oh wow. Um, it's too early to tell just yet how strong its going to be or where it will go but definitely pay very close attention to what it is doing. If it is heading your way there is a really good chance you will be evacuated due to the storm surge alone, most likely any house on the beach will be in water. Even if it weakens and is just a tropical storm you will see a significant storm surge on the coast. Are you on the ground floor or up higher?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am on 2nd floor until Sunday morning then in a 2 story townhouse Sunday afternoon

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the storm isn't too strong wind speed wise you should be ok then, just don't expect to be doing anything over the weekend because you'll most likely be flooded in. If it looks like the storm is getting strong (cat2 or higher) you should probably just haul rear end honestly.

That being said, you're in a storm surge/flood zone so if they evacuate the area based on that you won't have much of a choice anyway.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 5, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So my former co-worker who was in Las Vegas posted her blood stained outfit she was wearing on Sunday (I assume from her friend who was killed.)
JFC, this world is sick as gently caress.
I really hope this rear end in a top hat had some brain tumor like that Texas shooter because without a reason, this is even more terrifying than your usual crazy rear end in a top hat kills a bunch of people.

edit: For the good. She was saved by some dude named Michael Catalano from redondo beach. He IDed the shots as coming from above and convinced them to flee instead of hiding behind something (in plain view of the shooter). If you ever meet this man, buy him some beers.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 5, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Look I appreciate your faith in assuming I'm getting these papers done the evening before where I'd be home to use such a printer,

but

Oh, yeah, there is that.

I'm kinda surprised instructors still take paper copies though... most of my papers were submitted via Blackboard/eCampus/whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, the plumbing guys dug up my sewer line yesterday.
I think they found the problem.

This crack has been posted previously:

There's another one a bit firther down, plus an actual fracture in the pipe:

Uh.

Where the gently caress did it go?

There's a small chunk of cast iron pipe in the dirt pile, but the majority of that is just... missing.

They were back out when I left this morning, and will be getting the city to inspect the join to the main, then replacing everything with PVC. 98% of this job is labor. 35' of 3" PVC costs, what? $100 maybe? Glad I didn't try to dig that, though. It's all clay.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Locator posted:

Golf clap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm an argumentative rear end in a top hat, so I get probated a lot.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Same except I'm just an rear end in a top hat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I post in BSS a lot and that sub forum has a history of bad mods. Current guy is pretty aces though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I post in BSS a lot and that sub forum has a history of bad mods. Current guy is pretty aces though.

I dunno, you have a history of pretty bad posting so have you ruled that out?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Locator posted:

Well that was certainly an unexpected thing. Got to bed early though since I couldn't respond to anything. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I haven't really looked at anyone's rapsheet until now and Jesus, some of you guys have a list as long as my arm. Also I forgot how funny sigtrap was, this is from Rhyno's rapsheet:

sigtrap posted:

CAR GAME FOUL: "Limousine" is not a color or it'd be in a box of crayons, sheesh.

:v:

Also what the hell is 4chan speak, because apparently lots of people got probated for that early on.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 5, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I haven't really looked at anyone's rapsheet until now and Jesus, some of you guys have a list as long as my arm. Also I forgot how funny sigtrap was, this is from Rhyno's rapsheet:

:v:

Also what the hell is 4chan speak, because apparently lots of people got probated for that early on.

Wow, I forgot I've actually been probated twice - I only remember one. One I didn't even notice because I wasn't on here 24/7 at the time. Both times for pissy little things like internet jargon/catchphrases, early in my posting career.

edit: my sigtrap probation comment was: "You, sir, win! You are teh win, my good sir! You, sir, win teh gbs, sir! User loses posting privileges for 1 day."
Apparently I said something about someone winning, and it wasn't a race or the lottery.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I am officially conflicted. Sweet Chili Heat has a full page spread in the November 2017 issue of Grassroots Motorsports. :toot:

Except, the article is crap and DoritoPower didn't get credit for his photography. DrakeriderCa or anyone else wasn't mentioned in the article either. I had a solid six emails going back and forth with the GRM editor explicitly mentioning that this was a team effort, all of it was ignored.

Time to send them an email asking what the gently caress.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

reporters.txt

Big or small, they put forward the story they want to. Either be it personal interest or laziness.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

News nobody will be surprised by: Ford Mondeos are still surprisingly good. My hire car for the week, 177 hp diesel 6 speed manual. It was meant to be a small SUV, but I'm not even mad that Enterprise can't get their poo poo together, even if it did mean walking an extra 8k because I wasn't brave/stupid enough to drive a mondeo through a knee deep puddle.

stump fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The internet and phone has been broken at work for coming on three hours. As a business that sells things via an online store this is about as flaccid of a day as you can imagine.

Comcast you truly are a reheated steaming pile of garbage

• Locked thread