Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You could even say Philip is...floating in a tin can.

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone have a good interpretation of what the 'Meanwhile' symbol means? I got it tattooed today so probably a bit too late but curious now.

https://imgur.com/xW3A9lf

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Annabel Pee posted:

Does anyone have a good interpretation of what the 'Meanwhile' symbol means? I got it tattooed today so probably a bit too late but curious now.

https://imgur.com/xW3A9lf

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It means "pork fried rice"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Another thing I never noticed is that the room where Cooper meets Naido and American Girl is the same room where Jeffries appears.

Episode 3:

(I just now noticed the blue rose behind Cooper in the first image)

Episode 15:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

kaworu posted:

uhhh i dont remember sarah disappearing laura, i remember laura disappearing and sarah screaming and trying to smash her picture

Call me Dale Cooper, because I’m investigating Twin Peaks: the two mounds of thick flesh that make up your perfect rear end.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Volte posted:

Another thing I never noticed is that the room where Cooper meets Naido and American Girl is the same room where Jeffries appears.

Are you sure? That just looks like similar architecture to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cjg posted:

Are you sure? That just looks like similar architecture to me.
Look at the floor behind Coop in the first image. The white stripe leading down the hallway makes it look like the Jeffries shot is in the same room, from roughly the same angle, so Jeffries would be roughly where Coop is standing. The arched ceiling is identical as well. It may not be the same "physical place" (whatever that means in this context) but the two scenes are clearly meant to take place in the same kind of environment (like a different room in the same motel?)

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At first I was gonna agree with cjg but the hallway behind Coop in the first image and Teapot Jeffries in the fourth is really interesting. It's probably not literally the same room because of how Booper gets in, and there's no door in the corner behind Jeffries like there is for Coop... but either it is reused assets, or there's something to it. Maybe some kind of connecting hallway?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just want to say that even though it's been almost a month (or more??) I still think about the ending every day. I know some people are mad about not getting certain answers but based on the impact alone I'd have to say it's the best ending to any show ever.

I also listen to Dark Space Low a lot.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just want to say that even though it's been almost a month (or more??) I still think about the ending every day. I know some people are mad about not getting certain answers but based on the impact alone I'd have to say it's the best ending to any show ever.

I agree. Closure is for suckers, I want to be haunted forever. That's what makes me want to watch it over and over.

The last show that enraptured me this much was Lost, and I thought it was weird that people generally thought that it left too many questions unanswered, when I thought it got way too specific and explainey at the end. Almost all of the central mysteries of the show (who is Jacob, what is the monster, what is the island) should never have been directly answered. Imagine being able to watch Lost over and over again and feel like maybe this time you'll be able to unravel a bit more of the mystery with what you picked up the last time.

Basically Twin Peaks is the only show that has NG+++

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Same, it's amazing. That and "The Fireman" are my favorites and it'll be a travesty if this show doesn't win every award for music and sound editing next year.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Volte posted:

I agree.

We must be soul sisters my man, Lost is my favorite show ever, and Twin Peaks is probably number two at this point.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I felt the same way about Lost's ending as I do about TP season three's ending. Lost's unfulfilling ending retroactively ruined the show for me, to the point that I immediately sold all my blu-rays. I loved it while it aired but I can't imagine ever watching that show again, knowing how shittily it will end.

At least Twin Peaks still has an amazing first two seasons + movie that stand on their own even if I never watch season three again.

Edit: Though I did laugh at the people whining about Lost's 2.5 hour finale having forty-five minutes of commercials. So many people online and even some media outlets kept shouting about how unacceptably outrageous that was. Actually, while it sounds like a lot, it was the average amount of commercials for any show. The average amount of commercials for any show at that time was about eighteen minutes per hour. So:

18 minutes/hour * 2.5 hours = exactly 45 minutes

Math education in this country needs to be a lot better.

...! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

...! posted:

I felt the same way about Lost's ending as I do about TP season three's ending. Lost's unfulfilling ending retroactively ruined the show for me, to the point that I immediately sold all my blu-rays. I loved it while it aired but I can't imagine ever watching that show again, knowing how shittily it will end.

At least Twin Peaks still has an amazing first two seasons + movie that stand on their own even if I never watch season three again.

Did you really expect an unambiguous ending from Twin Peaks, of all things? Lost was straddling a line between traditional storytelling and the piling on off surreal, mysterious moments but by now everybody should be aware who David Lynch is and what he's known for.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
[quote="“Lord Krangdar”" post="“477127632”"]
Did you really expect an unambiguous ending from Twin Peaks, of all things? Lost was straddling a line between traditional storytelling and the piling on off surreal, mysterious moments but by now everybody should be aware who David Lynch is and what he’s known for.
[/quote]

I expected to find out what was going on with Audrey and Sarah, at the very least, without having those storylines being cut off in the middle, yes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

owned

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...! posted:

Edit: Though I did laugh at the people whining about Lost's 2.5 hour finale having forty-five minutes of commercials. So many people online and even some media outlets kept shouting about how unacceptably outrageous that was. Actually, while it sounds like a lot, it was the average amount of commercials for any show. The average amount of commercials for any show at that time was about eighteen minutes per hour. So:

18 minutes/hour * 2.5 hours = exactly 45 minutes

Math education in this country needs to be a lot better.

much like BSG, I really like the ending of LOST purely on the merit of how angry internet TV forums got about it. People flip the hell out if their favorite scifi/fantasy show in any way implies that something spiritual or religious could be real. LOST seriously lost its way, but the reactions to it were still gold.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought the ending of Lost was fine, other than the lack of any real lingering mystery. I've rewatched Lost twice since it ended, and other than Season 3 dragging on and on and on, it still holds up pretty well. Maybe it's all in the presentation, but I don't really see a difference between the side-universe in the final season of Lost and the Lodges of Twin Peaks. Most of the people I've talked to who really, really hated the ending of Lost seemed to fundamentally misunderstand it and believed that the whole series took place in purgatory or something, and everyone was dead all along.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LOST and Twin Peaks both had very good fitting finales.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volte posted:

I thought the ending of Lost was fine, other than the lack of any real lingering mystery. I've rewatched Lost twice since it ended, and other than Season 3 dragging on and on and on, it still holds up pretty well. Maybe it's all in the presentation, but I don't really see a difference between the side-universe in the final season of Lost and the Lodges of Twin Peaks. Most of the people I've talked to who really, really hated the ending of Lost seemed to fundamentally misunderstand it and believed that the whole series took place in purgatory or something, and everyone was dead all along.

wasn't the whole flash-aside of the final season them post-death realizing that their destiny was on the island and they had to go back?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

wasn't the whole flash-aside of the final season them post-death realizing that their destiny was on the island and they had to go back?

No, the flash-sideways was their holding pattern happy place so they could all meet and ~*move on*~ together into the proverbial light. There's also the insinuation the island is the home and maintainer of that light.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I despised Lost. I stopped watching it at some point and felt vindicated when I heard about the ending. The central mysteries were at first intriguing, but their execution was horrible. And the worst part were the characters and their asinine romances.

I don't think there's much comparison between Lost and Twin Peaks. Sure, "weird things happen" in both. But Twin Peaks is to me about mood, pacing, and that sublime feeling of almost understanding something but not quite being able to pin it down. It's a unique experience. Lost was basically scripted Survivor with some goofy poo poo sprinkled here and there.

I hope this is the last time I ever write anything about Lost because it's profoundly depressing that there are memories of that loving show in my mind at all.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cis autodrag posted:

No, it was them one-by-one realizing that they were in some kind of alternate plane of existence. Damon Lindelof has been clear about the Twin Peaks influence on the show, and the side universe is probably the most distinctly Twin-Peaks-like thing in the whole show. The side universe is the Lost version of the red room -- a waiting room, almost literally. The doppelgangers just aren't as interesting.

edit: I agree that the romances of Lost were by far the worst part, but it's a network show so what are you gonna do

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really liked the 1970s crazy cult thing and the time travel in lost

people took that show too seriously

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still meet people who think the ending of LOST was that they were in purgatory all along

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A weird thing is that SNL wrote the exact same skit, twice, once for twin peaks, once for LOST, 18 years separated.

The man man from either show, Kyle Mclaughlin, or jack from lost, enters an elevator or bar. Everyone in the elevator says hey are you [main guy] from [twin peaks or lost]? He says yes. Boy that's some show. He demurs, yeah, it's a pretty good show. Hey what's the deal are you all in purgatory? No we're not in purgatory. Do you guys even know [who killed laura palmer or what the deal with the island is] or are you all just jerking us around with the illusion of a mystery that actually has no answer. No, we know what's going on, don't worry, just keep watching.

It was absolutely bizarre when I noticed. The exact same questions. The exact same actor as himself reassuring the SNL cast as ersatz fans that they weren't "just makin' it up".

The funny part though is jack's actor swore up and down they had an answer and that it wasn't that they're in purgatory, and then it turns out they were just loving around and eventually yeah it's purgatory. But it wasn't purgatory when you asked Jack's actor so it's not a lie, or whatever. Pffft.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Escobarbarian posted:

I still meet people who think the ending of LOST was that they were in purgatory all along

Krinkle posted:

The funny part though is jack's actor swore up and down they had an answer and that it wasn't that they're in purgatory, and then it turns out they were just loving around and eventually yeah it's purgatory. But it wasn't purgatory when you asked Jack's actor so it's not a lie, or whatever. Pffft.
Nice

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Krinkle posted:

It wasn't purgatory, everything that happened on the island happened while the characters were alive.

In the finale a character literally says "Everything that's ever happened to you is real" and people literally took that to mean the opposite I mean come on.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I think the biggest comparison between the Lost and TP endings are the reactions to them. The majority opinion is that they're awful and can retroactively ruin the show. This is either because of confusion on the meaning of the ending or a feeling that the ending lacked closure on storylines.

The ending to Lost is basically fully explained, the ending to Twin Peaks is barely explained. But both endings are perfectly in line with the style of the show. So how the gently caress do people get through six seasons of Lost or three seasons and a movie of Twin Peaks and get all blindsided with the endings we got?

And as far I'm concerned the true chronological ending of Twin Peaks is at the end of Fire Walk With Me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lost hinged on everything eventually getting explained, and when it did, the reaction was negative because the explanation was stupid and made most of the show pointless. It was a case of the show's producers underestimating how much people cared about the intelligence involved in their closure.

Twin Peaks S3 banks on not explaining things and leaving it up to your interpretation, but the reaction was still mixed because people feel like you're not given enough clues to actually piece it together yourself without huge leaps. It's the opposite problem, but the same effect: Lynch and co might possibly have expected too much out of the viewers, as opposed to Lost, which expected too little.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't really expect that there was ever any intent on the part of David Lynch for viewers to figure out the ending of the show. Sometimes the point of being vague and esoteric is to leave the people guessing forever, which I expect will be the case at the end of any number of extra seasons that might come. There will never be more answers than there are questions at the end of a season of Twin Peaks and I believe that that is intended rather than being some sort of failure on the part of it's creator to give out enough clues.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That's not really quite accurate though, what you all are saying. Because I feel like Twin Peaks DOES answer a lot of question - just as long as you're asking the right questions and looking for the right kind of answers. It may not answer things in a [i]direct or [i]linear way, but questions do get answered.

And part of the trick is that you HAVE to adequately answer certain questions with more questions. It's not a simple matter of "Twin Peaks has a ton of questions and after season 3 it has a ton more;" because a lot of the questions that were unanswered after season 2/FWWM got addressed, and sometimes rather specifically. That doesn't mean the answers didn't produce more questions or make traditional sense or lead to sometimes MANY more questions..

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Maybe 200 pages ago someone said their friend was watching twin peaks season 1 and immediately said "oh this is all a nuclear war analogy" and the guy said "what do you mean" thinking he was being hosed with, as episode 8 just came out. It's the simplest explanation that he was hosed with.
Anyway I relayed those three things I remember: Bob is short for robert oppenheimer. Little lambs eat Ivy, mike the other killer, Ivy and Mike were "the first nuclear bomb tests" but at this point my friend disagrees with me, and looking it up, ivy mike is like eight years after the first nuclear bomb test. It's the first one that uses fusion?

And episode 8 was the 1945 bomb. Not the ivy mike bomb. I think that's grasping at straws, now, and not a real connection. Unless there's more and I forgot?Besides Sheriff Harry S. Truman.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Season 3's ending gave me satisfying closure to Dougie's story and that's good enough.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Twin Peaks season 3 is Chrono Cross.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope this amuses someone: I watched blue velvet while super wasted, and got the impression that Jeffrey is a total busybody spy idiot (he is, I suppose) and that Frank and Dorothy had a consensual S+M relationship, and that when Frank caught Jeffrey and took him out for the night he was bullying and clowning on him for interfering and being a busybody.

I didn't realise that Frank was actually a murderous bad guy until the final scene, which made me go 'hm, I may have missed something due to the alcohol'.

edit: to be extremely specific because the SA forums likes to assume the worst of people: I totally missed the bit where Frank had kidnapped Dorothy's son + husband in order to force her to have sex with him. I thought they were voluntarily having a weird relationship with each other.

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 8, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

My friend said I missed a really obvious ham handed metaphor about how americans are fat and dumb and don't give a poo poo about anything if it gets in the way of their stories and I just want to clarify: The fat lady laying on her horn after the gun accident, screaming to move out of the way, she was going to the hospital, right? not home to watch tv? Because of her daughter dying of whatever the gently caress in the passenger seat? Or was it really a ham fisted americans are fat idiots who ignore gun violence and only get angry if something disturbs their routine even a little?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

My friend said I missed a really obvious ham handed metaphor about how americans are fat and dumb and don't give a poo poo about anything if it gets in the way of their stories and I just want to clarify: The fat lady laying on her horn after the gun accident, screaming to move out of the way, she was going to the hospital, right? not home to watch tv? Because of her daughter dying of whatever the gently caress in the passenger seat? Or was it really a ham fisted americans are fat idiots who ignore gun violence and only get angry if something disturbs their routine even a little?

It's the latter. They were on their way to see her uncle or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

CJacobs posted:

Lost hinged on everything eventually getting explained, and when it did, the reaction was negative because the explanation was stupid and made most of the show pointless. It was a case of the show's producers underestimating how much people cared about the intelligence involved in their closure.

I try to see things from a lot of different sides but I legitimately cannot think of anything in Lost's ending that made the show "pointless" whether you like it or not.