Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

The trait system is so tight, I had a lizardman general get an insane trait for being in chaos corrupted lands for too long.

there's some annoying ones tho, like that one that gives you negatives for being in cities too long. just leads me to park my defense generals directly outside the city, without adding anything otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I won a hard game as Malekith and am now in the middle of a VH campaign as Skrolk. Wow are Skaven fun to play as after the delfs. It's basically the same strategy, hold up the enemy with your front line and let your ranged attacks do the real work, except using glowing green artillery goo instead of arrows is so much cooler.

Are people using clanrats as their "anvil" as Skaven? Is it worth upgrading to stormvermin? Can slaves get the job done with the right buffs?

Also, for as evil as the delfs are with the constant allusions to slavery and domination, none of that made me feel quite as queesy as the Skavens factory farm description for their pastures. Eesh.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The worst trait I've found is a negative against skaven for fighting in a high skaven corruption area

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Davincie posted:

there's some annoying ones tho, like that one that gives you negatives for being in cities too long. just leads me to park my defense generals directly outside the city, without adding anything otherwise
I get positive traits as DElves for sitting in cities that are building, at least. (Also, if your lord isn't doing much for awhile, try parking them in ambush stance)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Bramble posted:

Are people using clanrats as their "anvil" as Skaven? Is it worth upgrading to stormvermin? Can slaves get the job done with the right buffs?

Slaves can absolutely get the job done with the right buffs, and you can get the buffs a lot faster.

I think if you're on anyone else other than Queek slaves are clearly preferential and even on Queek it's a tossup as to whether or not stormvermin are worth it, mostly depending on what skills you take in what order (if you go ambush / lightning strike line first, you'll probably have vermin by the time you're ready to go army upgrade line, so they're a decent choice then; otherwise, buff clanrats and stick with it).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The Bramble posted:

I won a hard game as Malekith and am now in the middle of a VH campaign as Skrolk. Wow are Skaven fun to play as after the delfs. It's basically the same strategy, hold up the enemy with your front line and let your ranged attacks do the real work, except using glowing green artillery goo instead of arrows is so much cooler.

Also, for as evil as the delfs are with the constant allusions to slavery and domination, none of that made me feel quite as queesy as the Skavens factory farm description for their pastures. Eesh.

I use Clanrats as an anvil. You just need a lot of them. Like others have said, with upgrades they become pretty cost-effective for what you get, as their melee attack and leadership top out pretty high late game.

People claim that Stormvermin aren't worth it in comparison because they cost so much more than Clanrats in upkeep. However, to their credit they are one of the few armored infantry units Skaven get, and the Halberd variant is better at dealing with large enemies solo than other units. But the thing about the Skaven lineup is that when you get good at combined arms you can accomplish the same thing more cost-effectively by combining other units together. As nice as Stormvermin are, I actually like Plague Monk Censer bearers better; even though they have virtually no armor in contrast they have frenzy, armor piercing, armor sundering, AND poison.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It is also pretty fun to experiment with different 'specialties' on your Warlords. When pumped up by upgrades and lord skills, Night/Gutter runners are blazing fast to the point you'll be able to kite some enemy light cavalry around. Globadiers/Warpfire throwers get several incremental range increases and backed up by an Engineer will also get tons of bonus ammo. Rat Ogres and Hellpit abominations get charge bonuses and in particular they get melee resistance which is excellent vs greatweapon enemies that tend to attack slower. Artillery/Doomwheels get straight up nastier and you pretty much are looking at all the types of bonuses you'd get to artillery as Dwarves carried over for Skaven.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh dang, didn't know that Feral Carnosaurs were anti-large. Wonder if not-T-Rexes are better than Cold One Riders...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

It is also pretty fun to experiment with different 'specialties' on your Warlords. When pumped up by upgrades and lord skills, Night/Gutter runners are blazing fast to the point you'll be able to kite some enemy light cavalry around. Globadiers/Warpfire throwers get several incremental range increases and backed up by an Engineer will also get tons of bonus ammo. Rat Ogres and Hellpit abominations get charge bonuses and in particular they get melee resistance which is excellent vs greatweapon enemies that tend to attack slower. Artillery/Doomwheels get straight up nastier and you pretty much are looking at all the types of bonuses you'd get to artillery as Dwarves carried over for Skaven.

I should try the gutter runners buffs, that sounds like it would work really well with how i'm using them -- basically as a "balloon anvil". Works really well against lizards especially, just get them all raged up and then the artillery pounds.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Third World Reggin posted:

The worst trait I've found is a negative against skaven for fighting in a high skaven corruption area

I got that on a Saurus Hero while besieging a Skaven city. +1 Public Order buff and a -15 leadership when fighting Skaven, with the flavour text saying that he refused to believe Skaven existed.

The next turn we took the city and the trait vanished. I had a good chuckle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChickenWing posted:

It's very good that Tyrion has never, and will never, get "Likes Dark Elves"

At the same time he is rather dependent on them as a socially laudable outlet for his killcrazy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I should try the gutter runners buffs, that sounds like it would work really well with how i'm using them -- basically as a "balloon anvil". Works really well against lizards especially, just get them all raged up and then the artillery pounds.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think stock Night Runners will just slightly get outrun by a carnosaur, but with the +10% speed on all units, +10% speed on skirmish infantry research, and +15% speed on skirmish infantry Lord skills you'll be able to run circles around them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think stock Night Runners will just slightly get outrun by a carnosaur, but with the +10% speed on all units, +10% speed on skirmish infantry research, and +15% speed on skirmish infantry Lord skills you'll be able to run circles around them.

And another 15% from Warlock Engineers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One thing that made me sad: as far as i can tell, +recruitment level bonuses on clanrats do not apply to summoned / menace below clanrats, just ones you recruit.

toasterwarrior posted:

And another 15% from Warlock Engineers.

Is that army wide or would the engineer have to follow them around

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kroq'gar and his army of 18 red line buffed gold chevron 11g upkeep saurus warriors and a skink priest are hilarious to watch in sieges. Just a massive tide of blue reptiles swarming over the walls and through the gates that the carnosaur/stegadon break down

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is that army wide or would the engineer have to follow them around

Army; he can just sit with the cannons and buff them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The other thing I really like about skaven: much-reduced annoying build-up phase

One thing I really hated about playing Empire was that you had to wait until the game was already functionally over before you got your coolest toys; by the time you got steam tanks you were probably autoresolving almost everything just to save time.

WIth Skaven and proper food manipulation you can get to the good stuff a lot faster, but with a similar combined-arms kind of playstyle.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The workshop may be out, but remember:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/594570/discussions/0/1489987634000502893/

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Workshop is up, time for some home region movement bonus and more skillpoints!

e: ^^ lol did you find sassassins steam account?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Workshop is up? Can't wait for Radious WH2 edition! With Chaos Slann riding a doomwheel like a giant unicycle spewing lazer barf everywhere!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Martout posted:

Workshop is up, time for some home region movement bonus and more skillpoints!

e: ^^ lol did you find sassassins steam account?

Everyone send me friend requests tia.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Workshop is up? Can't wait for Radious WH2 edition! With Chaos Slann riding a doomwheel like a giant unicycle spewing lazer barf everywhere!

There are already placeholder mods you can subscribe to for Stheil Faith and Radius. As far as I can tell they don't even do anything yet other than offer you Patreon links. The guy that recolored the UI from blue to green chose PayPal to reward his hard work and political views.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of mods, have some by me:

Global Recruitment Buff returns, having worked since day 1 of the launch without any changes and works infact better now than before!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158755347

Unlimited Dragon Breaths removes the charges on all dragon breath type attacks, including those yet added like the Terrorgheist death shriek or Zombie Dragon's pestulant breath who we'll see soon (or use the mod that enables them for custom battles). To balance it a bit ive raised the cooldown from 45 to 60 seconds and there is an initial 60 second delay before you can use your first breath.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158815814

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Clearly, what we need are some Stormvermin Archers and heavily armoured Skink Temple Guard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Perestroika posted:

Clearly, what we need are some Stormvermin Archers and heavily armoured Skink Temple Guard.

All Nude Sexy Skink Army

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You jest but Dark Elf nude mods are just around the Khorner.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You jest but Dark Elf nude mods are just around the Khorner.

Said the DARK Swordmaster so he should know!!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do I normal map nipples?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You know even if they don't give us an army painter function for custom battle and multiplayer (and the ability to choose an appearance for generic lords!) I would at least appreciate if we were allowed to choose any of the existing factions' color schemes when playing custom battles and multiplayer rather than always using the same one for each race.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Literally one of the newest mod releases is a Pleasure Guard mod for Dark Elves that adds a "hot female" unit and has a sexy elf assassin type as the picture so good job

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I had a High Elf noble who developed the trait "Hates High Elves" after I had used him to to gain influence from Avelorn for about 10 turns. Pretty appropriate imo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

toasterwarrior posted:

Literally one of the newest mod releases is a Pleasure Guard mod for Dark Elves that adds a "hot female" unit and has a sexy elf assassin type as the picture so good job

I hope the unit is literally called 'hot female'. Possibly with flaming attacks.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
*teleports behind u* nothin' personel, skink.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

toasterwarrior posted:

Predicting sexy nude elves is the free space of game mod bingo

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Kroq'gar and his army of 18 red line buffed gold chevron 11g upkeep saurus warriors and a skink priest are hilarious to watch in sieges. Just a massive tide of blue reptiles swarming over the walls and through the gates that the carnosaur/stegadon break down

Well I've found out what I'm doing next time I play Kroq.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

They already have witch elves and harem masters and cults of pleasure in vanilla.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
all will be forgiven once someone attaches huge, jiggling knockers to a kroxigor

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

They already have witch elves and harem masters and cults of pleasure in vanilla.

Not Sexy Enough

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

give

mazdamundi

jiggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ze Pollack posted:

all will be forgiven once someone attaches huge, jiggling knockers to a kroxigor

Don't doxx me