Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a centralized listing of mech quirks somewhere? (I mean which one has what, not what each is)

I vaguely remember a new something coming out this year with a bunch of them but I don't know what it was.

I just tried looking for one and couldn't find it. Sarna doesn't list the quirks on each mech's page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a centralized listing of mech quirks somewhere? (I mean which one has what, not what each is)

I vaguely remember a new something coming out this year with a bunch of them but I don't know what it was.

That would be the BattleMech Manual, which is basically all of the common TW/Tac Ops rules in one place plus some extras like an expanded list of 'Mech quirks as well as a listing of which 'Mech has which quirks. They're universal for the types, so all Zeuses have dodgy LRM feed mechanisms even if they don't mount LRMs.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
That gauss rifle shot. :discourse:

My read is move East by Northeast, on the road south of the H36 and H22 buildings, towards the incoming Star Commander and get ready to bushwhack him hard.

Mech 6: Wolf Spider
Mech 7: Nova S
Mech 8: Locust IIC

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
All currently alerted enemies are down except for the two newly suspicious clanners, right? So the secondary objectives should be done for now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

All currently alerted enemies are down except for the two newly suspicious clanners, right? So the secondary objectives should be done for now.

Those won't completely clear until the end of the mission.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Since we have until next week to plan out our moves, we should probably decide what our plan is for the next several turns.

The fluff mentions us deciding on whether to ambush the Star Commander or move to evade it entirely. I'm personally leaning towards ambush myself as our current jumbled-up positions would mean having to take multiple turns avoiding that Clanner, who may just raise the alarm as soon as he/she sees the Kit Fox wreckage anyway.

The Star Commander is likely to move to 1439 next turn and have LOS to the Kit Fox the turn after that, so we should probably get into position either behind the Height 36 tower in 1641 or where the Von Rohrs currently is.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1439 seems like a really good bet, just make sure to position 5 hexes away from that, clan Active Probes have a 5 hex range. Even if you ECM him he'll know he's being jammed and that's as good an alert as any.

So if you position outside this border on this current turn, you should have maximum amount of time to rush in and murder the star commander when he comes in on the turn after this.

(If he goes this way that is, but it is his fastest route.)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 5, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Clan Active Probes have a 4 hex range. Inner Sphere versions are 3 hex range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I thought it was
light AP: 3 hex,
BAP: 4 hex,
clan AP: 5.
Then Bloodhounds at 8

e: if we're playing with all APs at 4 hexes that's obviously way better/easier on players though.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 5, 2017

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Contact #6: Timber Wolf
Contact #8: Timber Wolf

I might as well make my wishes official guesses!

Judging by the sprites they'd be Wolf Spiders. Which are Timber Wolves that went more heavy on the MAD, less heavy on the CAT side of things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well the sprites are just placeholders.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
True. But IIRC Wolf Spiders just plain more common than the Timber Wolf also, due to how the timeline turned out regarding clan infighting and all that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

I thought it was
light AP: 3 hex,
BAP: 4 hex,
clan AP: 5.
Then Bloodhounds at 8

e: if we're playing with all APs at 4 hexes that's obviously way better/easier on players though.

Almost 100% sure that Beagles are 3 hexes. Regardless, there's a visual indicator of the unit's probe range, and in this instance it is 4 hexes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Since you have a pretty good guess as to where the Commander will be, plan in advance to have units in place to completely block his movement. He's in a light(er) mech, and you have the numbers to potentially rush up and stop him from being able to move at all (barring jump-jets, I suppose) on the following turn, while punching or kicking him into the bargain. Keep in mind that the initiative system means you can keep move mods while denying a single foe his.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looking at the map, assuming the Star Commander does end up in 1439, I think the ideal hexes we want to be to prepare the ambush without exposing ourselves to the cadet in 2137 or to the BAP are in 4 general areas:

> 1043, 1044, 1045
> 1246, 1346
> 1643, 1644, 1743, 1744
> 0840, 0841, 0941, 0942

Given our current positions, the first two areas listed above should probably be reserved for our less mobile Mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Almost 100% sure that Beagles are 3 hexes. Regardless, there's a visual indicator of the unit's probe range, and in this instance it is 4 hexes.

It includes the hex the unit is standing in, so you're both correct.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Kind of surprised nobody has posted this for the mission yet.

Nothing like some sneak sneak music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8QeaW-3iP4&t=732s

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

shalafi4 posted:

Best soundtrack in the world. Well, tied with the other two MW2 games' soundtracks.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Best soundtrack in the world. Well, tied with the other two MW2 games' soundtracks.

I have all of them bookmarked (along with the Timothy seals remakes they're really good as well) Makes for good music when you need to crank things out at work.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
6.Wolf Spider
7.Huntsman

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

shalafi4 posted:

Honestly, Pirate's Moon has always felt pretty stealthy to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-sZ1x0g7Qc. Then again, I'm the world's biggest Mech3 shill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wiegieman posted:

Honestly, Pirate's Moon has always felt pretty stealthy to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-sZ1x0g7Qc. Then again, I'm the world's biggest Mech3 shill.
I remember playing some of Pirate's Moon and liking it, I think? Was that the one where you're working for like, the Rim Collective?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Unknown 6 - Mad Dog
Unknown 7 - Black Lanner D
Unknown 8 - Summoner

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Only one of the unknowns in play is a heavy. Two are mediums. The rest are lights.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

I'm planning on backing up to 1643. Would 1744 be a better choice?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A good poster posted:

Charger

I'm planning on backing up to 1643. Would 1744 be a better choice?

Hm.. Some fun options. You could jump to 1546 facing 1445. Then, if the enemy Star Commander DOES move to 1439 you could charge him for a big fat 48 damage whallop on the following turn.

e:
It might end up being a bad idea due to dice, depending on how good a pilot the enemy is. You're not actually that great at piloting skill for physicals, but with above average gunnery and pulse lasers it's possible that that's a better option depending on what happens. Even still, it's a fine move since you leave tons of room for everyone else and you're faster than a good portion of the team so you have flexibility.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 5, 2017

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
#6: Cougar.
#7: Shadow Cat (the only one I'm not pulling out of a hat)
#8: Stormcrow.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

anakha posted:

Looking at the map, assuming the Star Commander does end up in 1439, I think the ideal hexes we want to be to prepare the ambush without exposing ourselves to the cadet in 2137 or to the BAP are in 4 general areas:

> 1043, 1044, 1045
> 1246, 1346
> 1643, 1644, 1743, 1744
> 0840, 0841, 0941, 0942

Given our current positions, the first two areas listed above should probably be reserved for our less mobile Mechs.

Headed for either 1644 or 0942 depending on others' needs. 1644 if no one says anything.

Also time for the traditional once-a-mission reminder that destroyed mechs count as rough terrain, plan your moves accordingly.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Will send orders later, but preemptively calling dibs on 1744.

E: Charger, you gonna take 1643, or will you set up for the Charge attack as suggested earlier?

E2: Orders in.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 8, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mary Annette posted:

Also time for the traditional once-a-mission reminder that destroyed mechs count as rough terrain, plan your moves accordingly.

I've never played table top before, what's the importance of this?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jade Star posted:

I've never played table top before, what's the importance of this?

Rough terrain takes one extra MP to move through. I didn't know this either and it lead to me being one MP short of my intended move and taking an A/C 20 to the back.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

anakha posted:

E: Charger, you gonna take 1643, or will you set up for the Charge attack as suggested earlier?

I think I'll stick with 1643.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One more thing to keep in mind for next turn: The cadet in 2137 is still going to have LOS since it's projected movement is still along the diagonal from 1440.

That means that if we spring the trap the turn after this one, the only area we can really fire from without exposing ourselves to LOS from that cadet is the corridor from 1441-1446.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Olothreutes posted:

Rough terrain takes one extra MP to move through. I didn't know this either and it lead to me being one MP short of my intended move and taking an A/C 20 to the back.

I did this exact same thing in Counting Coup, I think. Though in my case it was just before the Kingfischer exploded under me, but I think AC/20's were involved in that too (at least my own were).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Keru posted:

I did this exact same thing in Counting Coup, I think. Though in my case it was just before the Kingfischer exploded under me, but I think AC/20's were involved in that too (at least my own were).

Still one of the most :black101: deaths in the thread. I have the somewhat inglorious honor of dying to a DFA from another player.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

I'm not seeing a lot of good movement options for me for the next couple of turns in regards to the next ambush. If I press forward, the best I can manage is 1644 (which I know the Charger was looking at). I'm worried that if I stop short in 1545, then if the next target saunters down the 1400 line like someone earlier mapped out, I'll be exposed to LOS. Or I only move up two hexes to the wreck of the Parash. Does it cost extra movement to ENTER the downed mech's hex, or to leave it?

If I want to eschew that movement and re-route around the back alley, I can only make it to 1044 this round, and next round my movement would end in 1341, which I don't think has LOS to the projected arrival point of 1439 for the incoming enemy mech. Any advice? I really feel like moving forward just a couple hexes might be the best play for me here

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH
Does it cost extra movement to ENTER the downed mech's hex, or to leave it?
The extra mp is to enter the downed mech's hex.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

I'm thinking of just booking it back over to the left side of the map; I don't have a lot of firepower to leverage in an ambush, and I'd rather not take up space in a hex that one of our less maneuverable 'Mechs might try to get to (or more likely accidentally wind up DFA'ing someone on our side since I move fairly late in the turn order).

That said, I'm thinking of hopping over to 0643 unless anyone else has a better idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ardlen posted:

The extra mp is to enter the downed mech's hex.

I don't think there's anything that anything that charges extra MP to LEAVE a space, pretty sure all MP costs are calculated based on the hex you're entering and the only thing about the hex you're in that matters is if there's an elevation difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Mongoose/Hitman

Not sure if there's anywhere I can put my guys that will let the contribute to the upcoming ambush without getting spotted. Would folks prefer if I helped set up for this attack or start trying to scout up on the left side?

• Locked thread