Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

The separatist leaders need mediation to happen asap or they are royally hosed because they will have fallen in the same trap Cameron (and, to a lesser degree Tsipras) fell into, trying to blackmail the EU/Spain with the threat of a referendum/separation to get what you want, only to find out that the other side has all the cards and will watch you self-immolate and piss on your ashes.

wow a fully true and good GC post :whoa:

No matter who you think is right (or more wrong) between Spain and Catalonia, actual secession will only end up loving everyone after the brief victorious feelings of having successfully stuck it to the man wear off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
"The business community and the stock market won't like it" isn't a really good reason for not doing something.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kemper Boyd posted:

"The business community and the stock market won't like it" isn't a really good reason for not doing something.

On the other hand not everything the business community and the stock market doesn't like is a good thing for the people. A short term economic crash hurts almost everybody and there's no guarantee Catalonia would regain its prosperity at a later point. The separatist don't care about these worries and they shut down any doubts without debate, that's not a good sign.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kemper Boyd posted:

If one of your most important arguments is "Madrid takes too much money from us" and your actions result in most of your economy relocating to Madrid, I doubt those actions are very smart.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes, let's send in the Germans again. Like in that famous painting

Haha holy poo poo he specifically mentioned Germany and Italy

There's no way he's not doing it on purpose at this point. I don't think he's a fascist, but he takes up fascist positions out of sheer contrarianism.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

There's no way he's not doing it on purpose at this point. I don't think he's a fascist, but he takes up fascist positions out of sheer contrarianism.

:thejoke:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Given how Germany deals with WW2, I'm half expecting his posting to literally be illegal at this point.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/915929654292287490

this is gonna be fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oh no, I guess the jig is up guys everybody go home.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I really wonder if Rajoy has any kind of long term plan. Sure, he wants to gain back conservtives who voted C's by being the nationalistic tough guy and he doesn't care whether the PP gets 3% or 8% in Catalonia but what does he want to do with the place? He can revoke autonomy, put in a Madrid controlled unelected government and literally put tanks in the streets, it's not like people would risk an actual civil war, but that would be the best thing that could ever happen to the independence movement. I mean, at some point he has to deal with 6 million people that he wants to keep in his country.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cebrail posted:

I really wonder if Rajoy has any kind of long term plan

I really wonder if anybody involved has any kind of plan

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2017

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Remember that he's only doing this because his elementary school teacher was a leftist that tried to "brainwash" him, and now that he's an adult he became a fascist just to spite leftists and, by extension, his ex teacher.

He really embodies the ideal of "politics of spite" that many populist parties have adopted, like Syriza.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

cebrail posted:

I really wonder if Rajoy has any kind of long term plan. Sure, he wants to gain back conservtives who voted C's by being the nationalistic tough guy and he doesn't care whether the PP gets 3% or 8% in Catalonia but what does he want to do with the place? He can revoke autonomy, put in a Madrid controlled unelected government and literally put tanks in the streets, it's not like people would risk an actual civil war, but that would be the best thing that could ever happen to the independence movement. I mean, at some point he has to deal with 6 million people that he wants to keep in his country.

He probably doesn't actually think there is majority support for independence, and that if there is, it's only temporary and the fever will break.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

it's only temporary and the fever will break.

Rajoy.txt

Elman posted:

I don't think they expect it to work.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

If one of your most important arguments is "Madrid takes too much money from us" and your actions result in most of your economy relocating to Madrid, I doubt those actions are very smart.

No, you want it to be the most important argument because you think it somehow makes Catalonia stop existing or illegitemate or whatever. You keep harping on about greed because you're desperately short of any other arguments.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Andrast posted:

I really wonder if anybody involved has any kind of plan

My point is that the other side doesn't really need to, because Puigdemont knows that nothing that could come out of this would lead to increased support for the central government. If everything is hosed up the divide between catalans and the spanish state widens and the separatist movement profits. Rajoy, however, needs to have an at least superficially united and functional country at some point.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't think they expect it to work.

Well no, but in seriousness this means they might send in the cops and try to prevent the parliament meeting. That should end well.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

cebrail posted:

My point is that the other side doesn't really need to, because Puigdemont knows that nothing that could come out of this would lead to increased support for the central government. If everything is hosed up the divide between catalans and the spanish state widens and the separatist movement profits. Rajoy, however, needs to have an at least superficially united and functional country at some point.

Nothing might lead to increased support for the central government, but it absolutely can lead to decreased support for the coalition currently in power.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Funny - Venezuela's government also had the supreme court invalidate the sessions of it's legislature through ultra-quick supreme court rulings of judges put in place by the ruling party.

Also hilarious seeing people go on and on about the greed of Catalonia and Catalonia officials.

The party pushing them to the brink - their enemy - is the PP.

They are conservatives. They cut back their government budgets and let people starve using austerity just to save rich people money.

And you're talking about the loving greed of the Catalonians?

Seriously?

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 5, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Funny - Venezuela's government also had the supreme court invalidate the sessions of it's legislature through ultra-quick supreme court rulings of judges put in place by the ruling party.

It's better to just argue why the courts are wrong.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Elman posted:

Well no, but in seriousness this means they might send in the cops and try to prevent the parliament meeting. That should end well.

I hope they have learned their lesson and Puigdemont is still walking around giving speeches. Probably better to ignore it and wait for the corralito.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Also hilarious seeing people go on and on about the greed of Catalonia and Catalonia officials. The party pushing them to the brink - their enemy - is the PP. They are conservatives. They cut back their government budgets and let people starve using austerity just to save rich people money. And you're talking about the loving greed of the Catalonians? Seriously?

The parties that Carles Puigdemont and Artur Mas belong/ed to are center/ center-right parties too. The founder of CDC was insanely corrupt too. The rallying cry of the modern-day push for independence was "Spain steals from us".

Everyone knows Mariano Rajoy and the PP are conservatives.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the demographics on independence support? E.g., how does it depend on education, class ..?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Support for independence corresponds with higher education and with younger age.

https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/el-si-a-la-independencia-simposaria-amb-claredat-en-un-referendum-segons-el-ceo/
https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estudis_del_suport_social_a_la_independ%C3%A8ncia_de_Catalunya
(Sources in catalan)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Funny - They also organised a vote with 0 international control, opposed by the other parties, 40% participation, 90% votes for "yes" and that ended in a new constitution written exclusively by pro-government parties.

Can we PLEASE add a Venezuelan corollary to :godwin:?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Elman posted:

Well we were going to declare unilateral independence but then the courts of the country we planned on seceding from forbade us from doing so so I guess we won't declare independence then.

Said no one. Ever.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 5, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Well we were going to declare unilateral independents but then the courts of the country we planned on seceding from forbade us from doing so so I guess we won't declare independence then.

Said no one. Ever.

They don't want to declare independence. This is the Tsipras Gambit, where you call for an referendum in the hope that the other side gives in and makes major concessions to stop you from holding the referendum or respects the result of the referendum that they make major concessions after the referendum. Rajoy called their bluff and now it's just a question of time until they surrender.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

They don't want to declare independence. This is the Tsipras Gambit, where you call for an referendum in the hope that the other side gives in and makes major concessions to stop you from holding the referendum or respects the result of the referendum that they make major concessions after the referendum. Rajoy called their bluff and now it's just a question of time until they surrender.

I am so loving going to quote this post two months from now.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

GaussianCopula posted:

And what happens if they do not surrender?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Sending hundreds of cops to beat up voters is not calling a bluff, it's being a fascist shithead

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

And what happens if they do not surrender?

You mean if they actually declare independence? Rajoy invokes Section 155 of the constitution taking over control in Catalonia and ordering new elections.

In other news:
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/916001330824716288

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

GaussianCopula posted:

You mean if they actually declare independence? Rajoy invokes Section 155 of the constitution taking over control in Catalonia and ordering new elections.

Do you genuinely don't get it? What if the Catalonian government simply refuses to step down when disbanded, because that is where this is headed. Legality does not make magic passwords that enforce your will.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Do you genuinely don't get it? What if the Catalonian government simply refuses to step down when disbanded, because that is where this is headed. Legality does not make magic passwords that enforce your will.

They would get arrested.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

They would get arrested.
And then, you'd gloat about it.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

They would get arrested.

And what happens if they can't arrest them because, say, there's an army in the way?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cingulate posted:

And then, you'd gloat about it.

:smug:

I Love Annie May posted:

And what happens if they can't arrest them because, say, there's an army in the way?

Which army would that be?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

:smug:

Don't be so loving dense.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I Love Annie May posted:

Don't be so loving dense.

It seems a reasonable question.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GaussianCopula posted:

The Carlists, who have been sewing banners and stockpiling arms since

well, forever, but the most conveniently ludicrous date is 1975.

Apparently the current* Carlist candidate is pretender to the throne of Portugal, for bonus weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Radio says Spaniards are cheering police and singing patriotic songs in the streets as they are deployed en masse to Catalonia :stare: plz tell me this is an exaggeration because it makes it sound like things are going to get really bad