Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, that's the other inspiration, but there's some serious FS comparisons in the combat, and token placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I am exceedingly happy with everything thats coming out about the L5R LCG with the exception that apparently i'm not going to be able to get one of those plastic stronghold cards they had as promos for gencon (goddamn my completionist self).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kithkar posted:

I am exceedingly happy with everything thats coming out about the L5R LCG with the exception that apparently i'm not going to be able to get one of those plastic stronghold cards they had as promos for gencon (goddamn my completionist self).

You can if you want to pay 100-200 bucks...

Those things are going for stupid prices.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there going to be a dedicated thread for L5R or should I just post here?

I'm excited about the game, it looks very fun and I think I'll try competing a bit. Haven't done any kind of card game competition since I was 14 and played some magic, so it's a new experience that I can start from fresh with the core this week!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I played L5R with the same group of people since Imperial Edition. We have played through some real garbage L5R formats (Spirit Wars, anyone?) but stuck with it.

Now they are all fence sitting about the new game and it's infuriating.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I played L5R with the same group of people since Imperial Edition. We have played through some real garbage L5R formats (Spirit Wars, anyone?) but stuck with it.

Now they are all fence sitting about the new game and it's infuriating.

That sucks, I was happy to see the group in my home area come back together to jump on board the new game, though I'm jealous that I'm not there to join in.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

That sucks, I was happy to see the group in my home area come back together to jump on board the new game, though I'm jealous that I'm not there to join in.

Its really irritating considering how annoyed everyone in said group was about the importance of expensive promos in the last 2 formats of the game. That won't be a problem here!

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

L5R is a fantastic property that AEG managed to squander with constant bad decision and design. I'm pretty excited for the LCG because FFG excels at both of those things.

FFG does excel at bad decisions.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Original Doomtown is my favorite CCG of all time, but despite buying almost all the expansion of Reloaded I just could not get that into it.

My only experience of the original was playing in Reloaded tournaments with people who seemed like they hadn't left the house since the original was cancelled.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm excited about the game, it looks very fun and I think I'll try competing a bit. Haven't done any kind of card game competition since I was 14 and played some magic, so it's a new experience that I can start from fresh with the core this week!

This is exactly me (but I competed all through high school: Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings CCGs). I played L5R casually and loved it; would have played competitively if there had been a scence for it where I lived. There's already a pre-scene forming on Facebook for L5R LCG in my area, so I'm trying to convince the wife to let me go for a Saturday or two a month to play in tournaments.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

We'll see how big it gets. Judging by GenCon, though, it might be real big.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's looking pretty good in terms of bringing back the old players. The L5R Facebook group has overwhelmingly accepted the new game and there's a lot of positive sentiment towards it. They've also been doing a good job with the fiction and keeping the feel of the old game, we'll see what happens in a year after it loses it's luster and get shuffled into the white noise of FFG's non-new releases.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I can't wait til they re-introduce Shadowlands, because playing great clans is for suckers.

<--- Played Shadowlands or Spider through almost the entire CCG

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

alansmithee posted:

You can if you want to pay 100-200 bucks...

Those things are going for stupid prices.

My greatest failing is that if I actually saw a Crab Stronghold up on there I might actually do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My copy of Shadow and Flame arrived :woop:

It's in Polish :negative:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
gently caress, I'm a sucker for pimp promos, but man, I am strongly considering ebaying my plastic Crane stronghold. I didn't realize they had gotten that crazy. Also have playsets of way of the crane and scorpion, that looks like $300+.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Sell them to me (;

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going to my first L5R release event tonight, gonna be great

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
My LGS is such poo poo. They're gonna wait 'a few weeks' to do any kind of L5R event to see if there's interest. Rather than, I dunno, promoting the game and doing a release event like all the LGS' further away are doing. And they'll probably only stock like 2 core sets or something stupid like that so you couldn't even have multiple people buy full sets of 3.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Karnegal posted:

gently caress, I'm a sucker for pimp promos, but man, I am strongly considering ebaying my plastic Crane stronghold. I didn't realize they had gotten that crazy. Also have playsets of way of the crane and scorpion, that looks like $300+.

I'm actually thinking of buying my friend's Scorpion stronghold from him. My big worry though is that they'll release a new stronghold that makes that one useless (although it seems unlikely since Scorpion's relatively strong).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nabbed a copy of L5R from a local shop today, I have another core on its way from CSI.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I don't know anything about the L5R game, are you guys talking about mechanically unique promos or just alternate arts or what

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Boco_T posted:

I don't know anything about the L5R game, are you guys talking about mechanically unique promos or just alternate arts or what

Just alternate art and plastic promos.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Boco_T posted:

At Gencon you got a fancy plastic stronghold card. Strongholds cards are out in the open during gameplay (Think Identity in Netrunner) so it's nice to have.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

bonds0097 posted:

My LGS is such poo poo. They're gonna wait 'a few weeks' to do any kind of L5R event to see if there's interest. Rather than, I dunno, promoting the game and doing a release event like all the LGS' further away are doing. And they'll probably only stock like 2 core sets or something stupid like that so you couldn't even have multiple people buy full sets of 3.

My local store took a bath on leftover L5R product when they cancelled the game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do these strongholds have different abilities from each other, or is it just a faction-themed prop to put your actual stuff on? I have to admit I've been reading this like kids getting picky over their action figures. "You can't shoot lasers with that one Dad, he's Spider-Man!"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Bruceski posted:

Do these strongholds have different abilities from each other, or is it just a faction-themed prop to put your actual stuff on? I have to admit I've been reading this like kids getting picky over their action figures. "You can't shoot lasers with that one Dad, he's Spider-Man!"

Each faction stronghold has a different ability

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I don't judge LGSes for not wanting to take a risk when the LCG market is kind of flooded. What I would have done is have a little signup sheet or Facebook post or whatever to determine what kind of demand there was for L5R and use that to decide whether or not to run an event, but not everyone has that kind of foresight, especially when there's other things that an LGS has to deal with.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

My local store took a bath on leftover L5R product when they cancelled the game

While I feel bad for them, I'm also laughing at any store that was stocking more than maybe a box of L5R per release.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

alansmithee posted:

I'm actually thinking of buying my friend's Scorpion stronghold from him. My big worry though is that they'll release a new stronghold that makes that one useless (although it seems unlikely since Scorpion's relatively strong).

I'm unsure if more plastics will enter the market or if GenCon was it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't judge LGSes for not wanting to take a risk when the LCG market is kind of flooded. What I would have done is have a little signup sheet or Facebook post or whatever to determine what kind of demand there was for L5R and use that to decide whether or not to run an event, but not everyone has that kind of foresight, especially when there's other things that an LGS has to deal with.

How is it flooded? There's like 4 competitive ones (SW, AGoT, Netrunner, and now L5R) and 2 co-op. It's not exactly the late 90's where any marginal property was getting a CCG and there was about 100 to choose from (that's not hyperbole, I imagine that there was probably around 100 different CCGs floating around with some level of presence in the late 90's/early 2000's). Starters were going for around $100 after Gencon for L5R. I can understand not wanting to keep stocking stuff, but if AGoT/Netrunner/Conquest have shown anything it's that the starters at least are always a good bet (as all of those had huge shortages/supply issues to start). Obviously the caveat there is that you have any sort of non-Magic/miniatures crowd, but if you don't have that you're not stocking any of the other LCGs either.

As an aside, I kinda miss having a ton of choices for CCGs. There were some games that didn't make it that actually had great mechanics.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I'm unsure if more plastics will enter the market or if GenCon was it.

Looking at what happened to the Netrunner ones, I'm probably just gonna wait and try to grab the full set after they drop in price (which I expect after some of the initial furor dies down). Also I'm not even sure if the acrylic fits the nature of them, would've been cool if they did wood or something.

That said, the full art champion cards in the release kit look absolutely amazing and I'm gonna be scrambling to get a set of Shojus.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

How is it flooded? There's like 4 competitive ones (SW, AGoT, Netrunner, and now L5R) and 2 co-op. It's not exactly the late 90's where any marginal property was getting a CCG and there was about 100 to choose from (that's not hyperbole, I imagine that there was probably around 100 different CCGs floating around with some level of presence in the late 90's/early 2000's). Starters were going for around $100 after Gencon for L5R. I can understand not wanting to keep stocking stuff, but if AGoT/Netrunner/Conquest have shown anything it's that the starters at least are always a good bet (as all of those had huge shortages/supply issues to start). Obviously the caveat there is that you have any sort of non-Magic/miniatures crowd, but if you don't have that you're not stocking any of the other LCGs either.

As an aside, I kinda miss having a ton of choices for CCGs. There were some games that didn't make it that actually had great mechanics.

Aside from the initial rush of core sets LCGs tend to rot on the shelf. Invested players order online.

Also 4 LCGs is a lot, more than most stores or player bases can support. You're also forgetting Arkham Horror and Lord of the Rings. Most stores can support a single card game, some can push the big trio (MtG, YugiOh, and Pokemon) but that's a lot of work. And why push events for people that quite honestly don't buy product?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Aside from the initial rush of core sets LCGs tend to rot on the shelf. Invested players order online.

Also 4 LCGs is a lot, more than most stores or player bases can support. You're also forgetting Arkham Horror and Lord of the Rings. Most stores can support a single card game, some can push the big trio (MtG, YugiOh, and Pokemon) but that's a lot of work. And why push events for people that quite honestly don't buy product?

The audiences for Arkham and LOTR are quite different to the rest. Sure, some people who play competitive LCGs will play those two as well, but they appeal to a very different type of player in general.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PJOmega posted:

While I feel bad for them, I'm also laughing at any store that was stocking more than maybe a box of L5R per release.

Yeah, why would they stock product that was selling well up until the moment they cancelled the game. Gamers love being told their items are constantly on backorder, they will understand

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

The audiences for Arkham and LOTR are quite different to the rest. Sure, some people who play competitive LCGs will play those two as well, but they appeal to a very different type of player in general.

The Venn diagram is nearly a circle. Board gamers and coop lcg players are more different than competitive and coop card game players. Maybe it's a complexity thing, maybe it's a culture thing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Yeah, why would they stock product that was selling well up until the moment they cancelled the game. Gamers love being told their items are constantly on backorder, they will understand

If it was selling well there shouldn't have been an issue of getting overly burned due to reasonable turnover. Plus those players should still buy remaining product, since a game going OOP doesn't stop it from being playable. AEG did that on it's own.

If it wasn't selling well then why have a large inventory?

Look, I get that most flgs owners are poo poo at almost everything that comes with owning a business. But raging out online because they couldn't forecast the collapse of a game long on life support is silly.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

The Venn diagram is nearly a circle. Board gamers and coop lcg players are more different than competitive and coop card game players. Maybe it's a complexity thing, maybe it's a culture thing.

Can't say I can agree with that - I'm primarily a board gamer who dabbles in competitive LCGs - i.e., I don't follow the "meta" and I rarely keep up with the regular releases - and me/my boardgame group love the co-op LCGs as much as boardgames but I'm the only one who sticks with the 1v1 games at all.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I didn't forget the other 2, I mentioned 2 co-op games.

Also as I said I'm talking more about initial order. I even mentioned they don't need to stock them all. Getting in on the initial hype is a good idea regardless if you keep supporting it.

As an aside, I've always heard yugioh and Pokemon are super popular but ive almost never seen anyone playing them in all the stories I've seen. Just wondering where they have these huge followings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, I've always heard yugioh and Pokemon are super popular but ive almost never seen anyone playing them in all the stories I've seen. Just wondering where they have these huge followings

SoCal had a huge YugiOh scene, to the point where there were shops that catered exclusively to YugiOh. Pokemon tends to be more kids and kitchen table.