Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

This is vile.

Hear me out here, wild idea: It might be possible for some communities to suffer serious problems based on systemic racism/racially based policing/poor training/overreliance on violent means instead of softer tactics from the police, and for there to be times when other policedepartments/officers do a good job. But I'm probably just crazy.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You should know better, they're just going to ignore it entirely.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

... Huh.

This works too well for both Myanmar and Kirschen.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Lord Hydronium posted:

I really don't understand what that Horsey is going for. Like, if it were a conservative cartoonist I'd assume it's "the Confederacy did nothing wrong", but that doesn't seem right for Horsey's politics, and it looks to me like he drew the woman as if she's actually interested in what the guy thinks.

It seems Horsey's recent cartoons are mostly intended as illustrations for a series of columns he's been doing about going on a pilgrimage through sites related to slavery.

Horsey posted:

Today’s challenge to that version of history is opening those old wounds. Southerners who grew up believing their ancestors were American heroes are now being asked to accept that they were traitors in a wicked cause led by leaders who, as far as the people they enslaved were concerned, were not much better than Nazis. That harsh narrative is not likely to be met with anything but resistance.

This leaves questions for all of us to face. How much understanding of complex human motivations are we willing to fold into our judgments about the past? How much ground will any of us be willing to give up for the sake of future reconciliation? How much truth can we handle? What does justice require?

The latest one:

Uncovering the untold history of civil rights at a martyred zealot's farm

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
these loss edits just keep getting more esoteric
Holy poo poo I never knew I wanted Horsey's John Brown to be a recurring thing but in hindsight I'm not surprised.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everyone looks white.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lunar Suite posted:

they do know clinton isn't president right

Trump's victory was such an unexpected upset that it broke minds on both sides of the aisle. The left didn't get the stateswoman they wanted (nor the chance to call Bill the "First Laddie"), the right didn't get the boogeyman they wanted.

After 8 years of screaming at the Black Man Democrat in charge they don't know what else to do so they keep screaming. In Stantis's case he always had more of a chip on his shoulder for Clinton than anyone else (I don't remember him having too much to say about Obama, just the specter of Hunny Clinton...I mean Hillary Bunny in the background. I cold be wrong). He's a bit more aware than most of these hacks and actually able to throw criticism at Trump despite his Republican programming, but that just makes him look even dumber as he keeps reverting a day or two later to either to "Oh god everything sucks" or "RABBIT SEASON!".

The man is trapped in an emotional/political pit and can't drag himself out. Half the time he's not even sure if he wants to. Yes he's trapped in a messy, muddy pit exposed to the elements...but he's been here for so long. The walls of the pit are familiar...comfortable...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Fake, it actually cites an individual work. It should be 'google' or 'the internet'.

Wait, I thought witty political cartoons were banned?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

In all seriousness, it's messed up how NFL players are protesting the Vegas first responders specifically.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This is so odious, it's straight up "where's our #whitelivesmatter"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Abyssal Squid posted:

This is so odious, it's straight up "where's our #whitelivesmatter"

A bad thing happened to some mostly white people (not involving football) a week after a football protest somewhere else entirely. This makes the footballers bad people. Black people should not protest if something bad is going to happen elsewhere sometime in the future.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Might As Well Not Pass Any Laws Ever Then, Agrees U.S. Senate

One of the rare instances where a label is needed.

Looks like Russia already got to Michigan's clothing stores. And is it a Russian or Michigan thing to use your desktop computer out in the yard?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Olivia Walch on gerrymandering.

Preview:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Hydronium posted:

Lol at that Bok, though. A rich white guy did the bad thing? I'm so confused! :ohdear:

He had planes, though, that must be it.

Some people seem unable to understand that several problems can exist at the same time.

I wonder; if these athletes were protesting the existence of the second amendment, would assholes like that cartoonist like it better?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hey guys if anyone wants to hear Chapo Trap House talk about Ben Garrison for ten minutes I have the link for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxBeo8I_A5M

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

hey guys if anyone wants to hear Chapo Trap House talk about Ben Garrison for ten minutes I have the link for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxBeo8I_A5M

All of Ben Garrison's illustrations are historically accurate, God drat these two stooges of the MSM Liberal Media Lamestream media for slandering Our President! :bahgawd:

Also: Hillary is behind it, if not, it's COINTELPRO. :tinfoil:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This is great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

haha, Las Vegas PD waited like 45 minutes AFTER the firing stopped before even going up to the shooter's floor, they were definitely not shielding civilians with their bodies.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can point to an instance of cops actually doing their jobs therefore police brutality doesn't exist (or should be accepted). What about all those times they DIDN'T murder minorities??
Also is there any evidence that these particular things happened or is it just cartoon shorthand for "they're heroes"?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Sandpuppy posted:

Looks like Russia already got to Michigan's clothing stores. And is it a Russian or Michigan thing to use your desktop computer out in the yard?

Yes, Russian hackers wear tracksuits while connecting to Facebook from the pig farm they keep in their front yard. They definitely don't live in cities wearing normal clothing working out of office buildings. Mike Thompson can go eat a dick.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May's conference speech – Theresa May said she wanted to offer voters the ‘British dream’, but the most personal speech of her premiership was overshadowed by a prankster handing her a P45, an incessant cough and a stage malfunction" After AW Devis.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/915545386407866369

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I don't like this cartoon.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

we had one here recently that woulda been national news in the 90s, lots of people I know who moved away only heard about it via Jimmy Kimmel

our homicide rate is usually like 1 every few years- its about 25x that this year

local hero johnny b~~

also very recently a mascot for gentrification and property developer corruption- one of the hotshot property owners managed to 'somehow' finagle a new liquor license (which are limited by city statute so our downtown isn't 100% bars) for his son to open a high-end cocktail bar in what used to be a mom-n-pop retail space (and prior to that, a speakeasy)

there's a cute stuffed John Brown outside, and this is inside, and I find the commodification of the man both gross and unsurprising:

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 5, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Yes, Russian hackers wear tracksuits while connecting to Facebook from the pig farm they keep in their front yard. They definitely don't live in cities wearing normal clothing working out of office buildings. Mike Thompson can go eat a dick.

So you think he should have shown normal looking people in an average city going to work in an office building to work with computers.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Old lady has a mild illnes therefore she is decrepit and dying and hopeless. Clinton or May?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

:five: - wait, it's not an edit.

Eh, :iia: then. It's great.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 5, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I like the way his wife is an assault rifle.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Thompson almost always does his Michigan cartoons from a local's perspective, and they often feature poor, schlubby dudes hanging around their rundown houses. That, along with them being balding and middle-aged looking had me thinking these were Michiganders commenting on the Russian hacking, and the tracksuits were a visual joke that Russian meddling is deeper than we think. But after re-reading the word balloons, your interpretation makes more sense.

I guess I needed more labels :negative:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

BarbarianElephant posted:

Old lady has a mild illnes therefore she is decrepit and dying and hopeless. Clinton or May?

at least with May it's just being used as a metaphor for her dying political career, unlike garrison's clinton conspiracy where the point was literally how ill she supposedly was

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I read in this thread somewhere, years ago, "there is no one in the world who has quite the same contempt for the human form as a British political cartoonist."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Every person in this cartoon is drawn as white, thus proving the cartoonist doesn't actually understand the thing he's complaining about.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

have you considered that the people who you claim do some bad things also do some good things???? checkmate!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Republican solution to this problem is to just pretend it's not a problem you massive rear end in a top hat

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

"insert thoughts and prayers" is a very nice touch.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Well, I mean, yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Well, I mean, yeah.

We've been doing it the other way for years, and nothing has changed, so now it's time to try something else. AGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like, he is aware that "Shut up and do absolutely nothing about guns ever." Is doing things the Republican way? Is it just active hypocrisy, or is it a complete and total idiocy?

• Locked thread