Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

eXXon posted:

I would love for Peterson to get into poo poo for breaking some obscure University policy in scamming idiots with his lovely videos or even better just plain old tax fraud/evasion.

Honestly based on U of T's lack of any response or comment I think they're making the dumb move of "keep quiet and hope he goes away before he scares all the donors". The first that any of us in my lab heard about it was a while after the original incident when the TA union emailed us all about the "horrible comments by Prof. Peterson" and even then they didn't say who he was, what he'd said, or who he was being offensive to just that he said something bad. Hell, looking at the email stream from CUPE it seems even they started ignoring his poo poo sometime late last year.

Dude's got tenure though and it's reeeaaally hard to fire someone with tenure. Especially for anything he could even vaguely define as an "academic opinion", no matter how lovely it is. That could have been his plan all along. Maybe he got tired of teaching and decided to make as much money as he could while he toed the line and tried to get fired so he could sue the pants off of U of T for wrongful dismissal.

It's funny, a good friend of mine used to TA for him back before all this poo poo kicked off and when it did he was somewhat shocked given that he'd never seen Peterson express anything bigoted then. However, he did say he was a bit of a hothead and absolutely hated anyone calling him out as being wrong so combined with the above maybe he's decided to just run this poo poo into the ground on pure spite alone. It's a pretty academia thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Not sure if it's come up yet in the thread, but Greyhound is intending to withdraw service from Northern BC, including along the Highway of Tears between Prince Rupert and Prince George where 20+ women have gone missing or been murdered since 1969. This isn't good for obvious reasons, but it's timing in relation to the ongoing MMIWG inquiry is some sort of gallows humor.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Honestly based on U of T's lack of any response or comment I think they're making the dumb move of "keep quiet and hope he goes away before he scares all the donors". The first that any of us in my lab heard about it was a while after the original incident when the TA union emailed us all about the "horrible comments by Prof. Peterson" and even then they didn't say who he was, what he'd said, or who he was being offensive to just that he said something bad. Hell, looking at the email stream from CUPE it seems even they started ignoring his poo poo sometime late last year.

Dude's got tenure though and it's reeeaaally hard to fire someone with tenure. Especially for anything he could even vaguely define as an "academic opinion", no matter how lovely it is. That could have been his plan all along. Maybe he got tired of teaching and decided to make as much money as he could while he toed the line and tried to get fired so he could sue the pants off of U of T for wrongful dismissal.

It's funny, a good friend of mine used to TA for him back before all this poo poo kicked off and when it did he was somewhat shocked given that he'd never seen Peterson express anything bigoted then. However, he did say he was a bit of a hothead and absolutely hated anyone calling him out as being wrong so combined with the above maybe he's decided to just run this poo poo into the ground on pure spite alone. It's a pretty academia thing to do.

Can you imagine how much ink he'll spill if he gets censured in any way by U of T? Censorship! Suppressing my academic freedom! Culture war!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just another posted:

Not sure if it's come up yet in the thread, but Greyhound is intending to withdraw service from Northern BC, including along the Highway of Tears between Prince Rupert and Prince George where 20+ women have gone missing or been murdered since 1969. This isn't good for obvious reasons, but it's timing in relation to the ongoing MMIWG inquiry is some sort of gallows humor.

This is old news tbf. Wasn't there something about BC Transit adding services in that area too, I can't find the article now.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

Can you imagine how much ink he'll spill if he gets censured in any way by U of T? Censorship! Suppressing my academic freedom! Culture war!

It sucks but what Peterson is doing is exactly what tenure was designed to encourage (though obviously there wasn't any precedent for milking a patreon account back then). If U of T fired him for his views he'd be right to call them out on censorship.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, I'm just pointing out that by design the only thing they can do is absolutely nothing. Until he crosses the line into actual hate speech or advocating violence*, the system is working as intended.

*Which he won't, he knows how this poo poo works.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is old news tbf. Wasn't there something about BC Transit adding services in that area too, I can't find the article now.
Sorry, yeah. It just came up again in the local news because Northern BC leaders have secured a symbolic meeting with Greyhound.

I think the concern with the regional transit service is that the scheduling is very limited and it's still no substitute for the long-haul rides that Greyhound offered (e.g. Prince Rupert to Prince George). Better than nothing but still a downgrade.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just another posted:

Sorry, yeah. It just came up again in the local news because Northern BC leaders have secured a symbolic meeting with Greyhound.

I think the concern with the regional transit service is that the scheduling is very limited and it's still no substitute for the long-haul rides that Greyhound offered (e.g. Prince Rupert to Prince George). Better than nothing but still a downgrade.

Oh no for sure, it's a really bad thing :( While it's good that BC Transit will have regular routes, it's not near to what Greyhound offered. And if it was any other highway and route, it would be less of an issue tbh

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh no for sure, it's a really bad thing :( While it's good that BC Transit will have regular routes, it's not near to what Greyhound offered. And if it was any other highway and route, it would be less of an issue tbh

TBF, B.C. Transportation Minister Claire Trevena has said she will push back on it - though no news since this article about a month ago.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

This popped up on my facebook last night. tl;dr fat people are to blame for the alt right.

https://thewalrus.ca/how-the-alt-right-is-winning-over-university-campuses/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This popped up on my facebook last night. tl;dr fat people are to blame for the alt right.

https://thewalrus.ca/how-the-alt-right-is-winning-over-university-campuses/

And neo-Nazis have a long history of hiding behind student free speech organizations.

But yeah, evidently the stigma of being called out for having a lovely opinion is enough to drive people into the open arms of hate groups.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

It sucks but what Peterson is doing is exactly what tenure was designed to encourage (though obviously there wasn't any precedent for milking a patreon account back then). If U of T fired him for his views he'd be right to call them out on censorship.

Exactly. Academic freedom exists to defend the status of profs as public intellectuals and elevates their speech above everyone else, with institutions like CAUT defending it any cost. In an ideal world tenure would be widespread so most people teaching in universities would benefit from it, but as current trends go, tenure - and the academic freedom that goes along with it - will only cover an increasingly smaller percentage of aging professors. In theory no one should be fired for free speech, but both the left and the right seem happy letting corporations determine what speech is appropriate so we're at the mercy of the current culture war playing out at places of work.

A contract prof publicly disparaged the qualifications and competency of two of his junior female colleagues, so the university banned him from campus until he apologized. CAUT decided that this impugned his academic freedom and tried to censure the college. No university is going to touch any tenured professor barring them going completely off the deep end and doing explicitly illegal things.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

And neo-Nazis have a long history of hiding behind student free speech organizations.

But yeah, evidently the stigma of being called out for having a lovely opinion is enough to drive people into the open arms of hate groups.

Well, that's kind of it. Being against the fat acceptance movement doesn't mean you hate fat people but they got so militant that it turned into the profats vs the antifats when the true enemy we should have all been focusing on was carbs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Well, that's kind of it. Being against the fat acceptance movement doesn't mean you hate fat people but they got so militant that it turned into the profats vs the antifats when the true enemy we should have all been focusing on was carbs.

I'm going to go with "self described 'SJW' was actually just a reactionary who likes to pick fights". But yes, let us never forget that grains are poison.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Actually I consider myself more of an Anti-Sugar SJW

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DariusLikewise posted:

Actually I consider myself more of an Anti-Sugar SJW

The political arm of the Ace-KKK?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The most they did was formally instruct him to abide by the collective bargaining agreements that require him to refer to people by their chosen name but that really only applies to like, his TAs since regular students aren't under those agreements.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Saw campaign signs for Kent Hehr's father this morning on the drive in.

How dreadful it must have been growing up with the name Dick Hehr.

He goes by Dick by choice, in fact.

Also he called his son something that's a slight vowel adjustment away from cunthair, so there's that too.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I'm a Sugar Justice Warrior and I'm tired of paleo con artists signal boosting alt-diet hatemunchers like Gary Taubes

just another
Oct 16, 2009

i'm so sorry

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So Singh has already managed to gently caress up a softball question about the Air India bombing in his Power and Politics interview. This doesn't bode well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

He goes by Dick by choice, in fact.

Also he called his son something that's a slight vowel adjustment away from cunthair, so there's that too.

True story, I grew up down the street from a guy named Henry Dick, and he chose to go by Harry instead.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

[quote="“Helsing”" post="“477086634”"]
So Singh has already managed to gently caress up a softball question about the Air India bombing in his Power and Politics interview. This doesn’t bode well.
[/quote]

Too lazy to search through the podcast for it. What was the tl;dl?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Helsing posted:

So Singh has already managed to gently caress up a softball question about the Air India bombing in his Power and Politics interview. This doesn't bode well.

Most of the media coverage on him so far is "Look how Brown and Handsome he is" and he doesn't appear to be taking any strong policy stances right now at all which isn't going to change the narrative at all.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cougar cub posted:

Milewski demanded he condemn the terrorists like 4 times and he wouldn't dignify the terrible question with a response. He did this in a really mealy mouthed way though which sucked

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Somewhere, CI just started laughing maniacally and he doesn't know why...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jagmeet really badly wants people and reporters to like him so we end up with lovely non-responses and "we love you, shrieking shite lady" instead of confronting the interviewer and their bullshit premises

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Jagmeet really badly wants people and reporters to like him so we end up with lovely non-responses and "we love you, shrieking shite lady" instead of confronting the interviewer and their bullshit premises

God, why couldn't the NDP have elected somebody more disagreeable, jeeez.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jeremy-chan wouldn't put up with that poo poo

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

flakeloaf posted:

:golfclap:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

Greyhound's also applied to axe all routes on highway 3 between Hope and the south Okanagan. No BC Transit there.

I didn't know that, does PCL still have routes there? Or is there any bus option now?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

This went way over my head

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

cougar cub posted:

Here's the relevant section of the interview, the short version is that interviewer Terry Milewski asked the following:

"You supported labelling the 1984 riots in Delhi as a genocide of the Sikhs. Some people go farther than that, don't they? Do you think that some Canadian Sikhs go too far when they honour Talwinder Singh Parmar as a martyr of the Sikh nation, when they put up posters of him as a shahid - a martyr - when he was an architect of the Air India bombing. Do you think that's appropriate?"

Instead of saying yes or no on whether it is appropriate to honour Parmar as a martyr Singh tries to pivot to discussing the 1984 riots. He calls the conflict between Hindus and Sikhs a "false narrative" and claims that by labeling the 1984 incidence a "genocide" he was trying to show that there has never been a conflict between the two groups and that everything bad that happened was initiated by the Indian government and not by "the people". As he's saying this Milewski repeatedly interjects to ask whether he thinks honouring Parmar is appropriate, and Singh repeatedly demurs from answering.

After being asked for the fourth time for a yes or no answer Singh replies "I don't know who was responsible".

(For context, a government inquiry headed by a former Supreme Court Justice concluded in 2010 that Parmar was the principle architect behind the bombings.)

His answer comes off as evasive and under prepared (which is even weirder since Milewski was known for doing a huge report on the Air India bombing years ago, meaning Jagmeet's people should have known this kind of question might come up).

For me though the weirdest part of this whole answer is Singh' saying that labeling something a "genocide" rather than a "riot" means that only the government is responsible and not "the people", or his repeated assertion that there's simply no such thing as a conflict between Hindus and Sikhs in India and that the entire "narrative" suggesting otherwise is completely manufactured. These answers feel so calculated and phony, surely there's no way Singh is naive enough to believe that himself. Obviously he is walking on egg shells and desperately trying to avoid offending multiple groups at once but these leaps of logic make him sound unprepared and superficial in his thinking. I mean, does anyone claim that just because the Holocaust was a genocide, that means that normal Germans are completely free of blame?

Anyway he could have just said "yes, it is inappropriate, next question", but instead he vomited up a word salad that managed to combine incredible cynicism (refusing to condemn Parmar and pretending he wants to wait until all the facts about a case from 1984 have been evaluated) with incredible naivety (displacing all blame for ethnic conflict and violence onto the government).

Perhaps he'll grow into the role but that was supposed to be the justification for voting Ashton. Jagmeet was supposed to already have the media savvy and natural charisma necessary to grow the party. I didn't see any evidence of that. I've also read at least one report claiming (though without any evidence) that he initially was demanding all his questions from CBC before he even appeared on the program, though apparently CBC rightly refused to comply.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also it is going to be a loving miracle if CI doesn't finally get himself banned or indefinitely probated at some point during Singh's tenure as leader of the NDP.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its like if I went on the news and they spent half the interview demanding I condemn other, unknown WASPs who glorify John A Macdonald. which is obviously something that never happens but white conservatives are convinced it's happening to them every second of every day

like obviously, if you know anything about me, (which is kind of your job as an award-winning veteran reporter at Canada's public broadcaster) clearly I'm not a fan of JAM. For me to condemn these unidentified people for you right here on command, is to legitimize your unsaid premise that all my earlier condemnations of JAM weren't enough, that its necessary to clarify I abhor genocide, that I'm a spokesman or referee for all WASPs and I'm in some way responsible for their antics

i wish jagmeet had responded along those lines instead of... whatever that was

just another
Oct 16, 2009

James Baud posted:

In other news, this article's title made me rush over to the thread to post it but I actually stopped to read it first and its content isn't nearly so germane - may be interesting, though. I learned a few things from it.

We didn't choose to be called indigenous - Even today’s most well-meaning terms erase our identities
That's a good article, although referring to non-FNMI peoples as "colonizers" or "settlers" always seems pointlessly provocative. Either you're saying that all non-FNMI are born condemned, or you're defining an entire people by the sins of (some of) its forefathers. It's also got an irredentist vibe.

I liked the term "treaty peoples" for that reason, although it doesn't apply to everywhere. It at least acknowledges that we're collectively in a new reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN