Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The blocking does hurt the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The true secret power of Rack 'Em Up is the lizard brain-satisfying ding ding ding ding letting you know you're doing a great job at shooting things.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I actually just noticed that tonight, usually I have the game audio turned down and listen to music while I play. It is a quality piece of positive player feedback.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm not sure "lol now you have to wait 5s to finish your kill" accomplishes this at all.

It doesn't, that's my point. That's what (I assume) they were trying to do, but blocking zeds doesn't do it. I think the issue is there's no counter, there's no 'thing' a player does when a zed blocks, they just wait or waste a bunch of extra ammo. That's not fun.

Maybe if certain types of damage went through blocks, or were even amplified by them, like if you melee bash a blocking zed it does x10 damage or something.

edit: Hey is there something weird about the Quick on the Trigger achievement? I swear I've been in games where we kill the Pat without him getting to heal but I still don't have it. Do I personally have to get the kill?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 5, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Blocking is...okay. It puts a bit of pressure on you since the enemy still approaches while you'll be struggling to finish it off. The best I can say for it is that it makes it very satisfying when you can kill a Bloat or a Gorefiend before they can attempt to block their heads.

Takes No Damage posted:

edit: Hey is there something weird about the Quick on the Trigger achievement? I swear I've been in games where we kill the Pat without him getting to heal but I still don't have it. Do I personally have to get the kill?

Yeah, you personally have to be the one to land the final blow. It's easy to do it as railgun Sharpshooter. Just throw freezy nades when he cloaks and you'll outdamage most anybody if you aim for the head or arm (which are both critical spots). Overall you're most likely to get it by accident (but it's easy enough to pull off in solo).

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I've started playing this again on/off, is there some kind of goon group like I know payday has ? I'd love to practice my speaking skills sometime.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think blocking would feel a lot better if you could force monsters to stop blocking by shooting them elsewhere while they have their blocks up. Shot to the elbow, maybe even a shot to the leg to cause them to flinch/stumble or something.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
shame the game has no feedback whatsoever with the medic statbuff darts :sigh:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Thefluffy posted:

shame the game has no feedback whatsoever with the medic statbuff darts :sigh:

I could have sworn there use to be a UI icon that gave you notice that you were getting a medic buff. Maybe they removed it. I wish there was a better audio cue for your healing dart hitting an ally as oppose to a zed. I usually have to wait for the text box that pop up to see if I hit the guy I was trying to heal.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh boy oh boy!

Guess who's back?!

:haw:

coming soon and you gotta pay for him but eehh. I might, I need chickenator in my life.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
new zed type is peter griffin

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Patriarch goes as peter griffin for Halloween

FTFY

"Dammit! Lois, kids, daddy's getting shot up, get in here and help out. Not you Meg, there are already enough failed experiments in this game."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

QwertySanchez posted:

Oh boy oh boy!

Guess who's back?!

:haw:

coming soon and you gotta pay for him but eehh. I might, I need chickenator in my life.

gently caress me, buying dress up DLC for a videogame for the first time in my life.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Coolguye posted:

new zed type is peter griffin

but the bloat already exists? :confused:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

gently caress me, buying dress up DLC for a videogame for the first time in my life.

Were you not around for KF1? It was some pretty sweet times for the first couple of years. I think the original Commando Chicken was from an achievement, but later on there was a Cyborg version that cost dosh.

TW kept on releasing patches and map packs for free, so I would always buy the character skins just to throw them a few bucks. Eventually I had a dedicated skin for every class (hazmat suit for Firebug, trash armor for Berserker, soldier dude for Commando, paramedic for... Medic etc). I hope to get back to that at some point in this game.

e: Has anyone datamined Crusher damage enough to know if it's better to spam Heavy attack or alternate Heavy and Shield Bash? I feel like I attack faster with the latter but with the Smash perk I don't know if it does as much damage as the former. What should I be doing to maximize my DPS after pulling off a successful FP parry and I'm in HDR land for 10 seconds?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 7, 2017

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm getting back into this game. I haven't played since the beta update where they added the biker character. Are there any important thing I need to know about changes in gameplay and so on?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Takes No Damage posted:

Were you not around for KF1? It was some pretty sweet times for the first couple of years. I think the original Commando Chicken was from an achievement, but later on there was a Cyborg version that cost dosh.

Fam, I've been here since the UT2k4 mod and I bled for the original Commando Chicken. Now I'll bleed Do$h for it if it's what it takes.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Mikedawson posted:

I'm getting back into this game. I haven't played since the beta update where they added the biker character. Are there any important thing I need to know about changes in gameplay and so on?

Shoot stuff. Some stuff takes a lot of bullets. Aim for the head. Sharpshooter is final destination. Freezey grenades melt bosses. /guide

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where is Enfield. Did he not survive. Was his lust for dosh too much

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'm so not excited for the seeker 6.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Like every gun, it's going to seriously depend on the implementation. There's nothing conceptually wrong with it, but it will either be fun or not.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bogart posted:

Where is Enfield. Did he not survive. Was his lust for dosh too much

That comes out next financial quarter, chickenator is for this quarter.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Taking bets for when this update drops. The closest guess wins my solid black ski mask in KF2.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
October 31

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oct 24, to give us a week to play with the 'Halloween Event'.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oct. 19, that gives it a week beforehand plus the weekend before that first week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Working on Berserker now, seems like I can choose between parrying to tank big zeds and bosses, or quick attack/vampire to become a nigh-immortal blender that can wade into a corridor full of trash and come out the other side with 100hp.

It seems like I was able to get pretty consistent staggers even with the katana, maybe just on headshots? Wave 10 I ended up soloing a FP and 3 scrakes by backpedaling and swinging wildly at their heads. They kept on stumbling so I had time to kite them around and heal from the occasional hit they got in. Took forever but I made it, not sure I would have if I'd been trying to Parry and Smash with the Bonecrusher.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You probably want RR either LR as Berserker. The 3rd skill you choose based on preference, I use resistance because I’m lazy and like the flat resist.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going Parry definitely seems to be the more active / skill-based playstyle, maximizing damage and knocking FPs on their asses, but if you gently caress up the timing you're still in trouble. Picking Resistance with all the Quick Attack bonuses is more hold down LMB to win (until Scrakes at least). I have fun with both styles though so that's cool. Being able to bumrush Sirens and decap them in 1 second with my Hanzo Steele is cool and good.

My parry loadout is Skirmisher / Butcher / Parry / Smash with Bonecrusher, Blendermode is Skirmisher / Vampire / Resistance / Massacre with the katana.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The day they add some knuckle or claw weapons is the day I use nothing but Berserker.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

You want the active mitigation, regeneration, and the lifesteal. That's just me anyway. It allows you to take an absurd amount of damage: I once won against a fleshpound that pinned me in a corner fresh using only a zweihander. It was close, suicide crawlers fed me just enough extra to survive. It was a rush, probably a full minute of last-possible-block successes + right clicks.

I think this was before gas-crawlers, though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

FantasticExtrusion posted:

You want the active mitigation, regeneration, and the lifesteal. That's just me anyway. It allows you to take an absurd amount of damage: I once won against a fleshpound that pinned me in a corner fresh using only a zweihander. It was close, suicide crawlers fed me just enough extra to survive. It was a rush, probably a full minute of last-possible-block successes + right clicks.

I think this was before gas-crawlers, though.

Parrying for the sweet 40% damage reduction is great for charging hordes or doing to town on FPs and Scrakes but what often gets me killed are Husks that decide to bombard me from afar.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the parry perk gives you max DR, but it doesn't make you actually immortal. I find myself consistently overestimating my own durability, killing a FP and 2 Scrakes while tanking Siren screams and Bloat bile, then get ganked by a Stalker :negative:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Honestly as a kiting class the biggest threat is usually trash that blocks your kiting. Solo 2-4 larges with trash onslaught? No problem as berserker but the one clot behind you blocks you as you corner blindly move backwards and everything falls apart, instantly

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Revolver Bunker posted:

Parrying for the sweet 40% damage reduction is great for charging hordes or doing to town on FPs and Scrakes but what often gets me killed are Husks that decide to bombard me from afar.

Yeah they become a problem for sure. I love it when I don't see my death coming because a husk gets a moving direct hit from like, the moon.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Honestly as a kiting class the biggest threat is usually trash that blocks your kiting. Solo 2-4 larges with trash onslaught? No problem as berserker but the one clot behind you blocks you as you corner blindly move backwards and everything falls apart, instantly

Double shotty all day, the zerk weapons are for the tough guys.

Alternatively, I blame you. You were too tempting to that clot, with so little never not swinging a zweihander on.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Revolver Bunker posted:

I just can't hate on Husks if they suicide bomb me - I always laugh, and more so if they manage a double-kill or m-m-m-m-m-monster kill. There needs to be a message of "humiliating defeat!" if a single husk explosion kills the entire team (not that I've ever seen that happen).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

Taking bets for when this update drops. The closest guess wins my solid black ski mask in KF2.

November 7.

Gromit posted:

(not that I've ever seen that happen).

uh huh. Suuuuuuuuuuuure. :v:

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

So the other day my map killed too many players to count and I am uploading it.

They took a while to die, different groups lasted longer, I got a decent shot of over a dozen players being forced out of an overwhelming short-elbow tunnel (I made the elbows short on purpose) situation into an open courtyard where they get jumped by a crowd and poo poo on when half of them run back into the tunnel only to realize the FP's are the reason they ran out.

The last guy turn out to be camping on an unintended ledge but dies anyway to a husk shot, lol.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 11, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I see someone else has fine taste in custom maps.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

I hope I do, I spent 300 hours building one in relative naivete. (I didn't model, it's like a "Forge" map from Halo, which it's tiles anyway but I digress)

I would probably try to figure out how to import my own meshes now. Or I'd just build a boxier tile map.

I need to patch it. I know of one tile placement error, one unintended ledge (it was intended, the final version was supposed to have a gurney acting as a ramp but it was removed last minute because a gurney wouldn't be in that scene), you can get thrown out if you are VERY unlucky; and some minor change to its logic layout that will encourage better utilization of the map's bilateral symmetry on the first floor. Aaand the AI spawner distances need tweaking because the roof isn't preferred as much as it ought to be (same for the vents above the players).

And there is a meat pit which is supposed to at first be a fun room with 2 entrances but instead become a meat pit with clots rising out of it all over but there is a state machine and I think the state machine works but something's unplugged or the spawner settings are jacked up or something...

Edit: Fun fact, those are all plastic zeds in the pamphlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gromit posted:

I just can't hate on Husks if they suicide bomb me - I always laugh, and more so if they manage a double-kill or m-m-m-m-m-monster kill. There needs to be a message of "humiliating defeat!" if a single husk explosion kills the entire team (not that I've ever seen that happen).

When the Husks start making their charge to blow themselves up I am reminded every time of the Orc running in Helms Deep with the torch and Legolas trying to shoot him down. I feel like that every time and its great. Sometimes I win and they fall and other times it ends up like the movie.