Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

layers upon layers of retardation

mods please to do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
TRUMP

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't Shooting tracker the site run by a creepy reddit user that uses a standard that even mother jones said was dishonest an inaccurate?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

More important than gun control - what about tractor control?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

<googles sexy tractor to make a joke >

<Finds this>

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu4aynBK7E

:psyduck:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We need to have an honest and frank discussion about the dangers of tractor PTOs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLzIj68s5E

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ PTOs are loving scary

I can't believe anyone can go down to a John Deere dealership and buy an automatic. Automatics should be outlawed.

Same goes for cars.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 5, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I think we already have those PSAs done with Shake Hands With Danger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KoXZafT1I

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Hell, most heavy trucks are going automatic now, and I don't think they got torque converters so there's no loss of power. Saves on training cause most truck companies pay poo poo now so no one wants to spend $3000 on training.

Also farm PTOs are hella dangerous, you know how many kids are mangled by farm equipment every year? My cousin's husband almost lost his leg after his pants got caught in a grain screw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Part of the reason things like farming, coal mining, and oil poo poo are considered such a red blooded American job is because they're dangerous, and hence manly. Dismemberment is a feature, not a bug, until it happens to you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If there's one thing that stuck with me from the tractor safety course I took when I was younger is that you don't gently caress around near the PTO

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Most non-union construction jobs (not all but a large percentage) are super dangerous or set you up for dangerous situations

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Hell, most heavy trucks are going automatic now, and I don't think they got torque converters so there's no loss of power. Saves on training cause most truck companies pay poo poo now so no one wants to spend $3000 on training.

Those shift by computer controlled solenoids. They still have a clutch, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Those shift by computer controlled solenoids. They still have a clutch, too.

Semiautomatics are fine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So it's literally just a manual transmission that uses a computer to shift? That's neat.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Pesticide20 posted:

If there's one thing that stuck with me from the tractor safety course I took when I was younger is that you don't gently caress around near the PTO

Yeah I grew up on a farm and every year the county extension has safety courses for kids so they know not to get dismembered by a PTO when their hoodie string or whatever gets caught in it or suffocated by a grain cavity collapse. Industrial agricultural is potentially very dangerous yo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

^^ PTOs are loving scary

I can't believe anyone can go down to a John Deere dealership and buy an automatic. Automatics should be outlawed.

Same goes for cars.

Many people can't even operate an automatic car without loving it up, there's no reason anyone should think any different of manual vehicles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“my kinda ape”" post="“477081198”"]
Yeah I grew up on a farm and every year the county extension has safety courses for kids so they know not to get dismembered by a PTO when their hoodie string or whatever gets caught in it or suffocated by a grain cavity collapse. Industrial agricultural is potentially very dangerous yo
[/quote]

:ohdear:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Now do the one about drowning in literal poo poo ponds.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

Now do the one about drowning in literal poo poo ponds.

Wasn't there a British PSA about that?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hobbesmaster posted:

No honest farmer needs more than 45 at the bar.

tankfish posted:

Wasn't there a British PSA about that?
I was actually in school for that one.
Apaches

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Wait...large trucks with automatic transmissions are bad why? How the gently caress am I supposed to simultaneously drive, call clients and type up work orders between jobs with a manual tranny?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Peetown Manning posted:

Wait...large trucks with automatic transmissions are bad why? How the gently caress am I supposed to simultaneously drive, call clients and type up work orders between jobs with a manual tranny?

Basically more things to break. This isn't such a problem in the US where nowhere is really remote, but truckers in Australia going through the desert would exclusively use crash boxes.

That and stupidly heavy poo poo where even a marginal risk of having a break down is way too high a risk, the good old crash box gets the job.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

So it's literally just a manual transmission that uses a computer to shift? That's neat.

apparently i should have studied manly poo poo and not nerd poo poo because this was how i assumed automatics worked

also sometimes to get grain out you use what amounts to a huge shop vac to suck out the grain, or sometimes to remove the stuff that gets crusty along the top edge of the silo. particularly if you are trying to suck off the crusty stuff, you may find yourself doing this when the silo is quite full and you're now attached to this very heavy piece of equipment as you're engulfed by literal tons of grain. my stepdad had a dog that fell into the poo poo pond and died, but i dont' really remember why the poo poo pond exists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

apparently i should have studied manly poo poo and not nerd poo poo because this was how i assumed automatics worked

Quite the opposite. That's why they're so expensive to repair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pesticide20 posted:

This but extend it out to all rotating machinery. It will end you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Automatics in cars generally run off hydraulic pressure. Torque converter bolts to the flywheel, which turns the pump inside to create pressure. CVTs being different, usually chain drive or reinforced belt to a torque converter.

Some big autos are built for military poo poo, like the PLS, HEMTT, most anything with the big two stroke diesels. The autos in MTVs also had torque converters, iirc. They're from before the time of solenoid shifted sequential gearboxes. They've only been viable about a decade now, and in research for the past twenty years, at least.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

joat mon posted:

No honest farmer needs more than 45 at the bar.

I was actually in school for that one.
Apaches

Me too it was loving terrifying. Which was the point I suppose.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can't change my oil but I can swap a hard drive out for you

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I can do both and am fairly competent in pumps as well. Hell, my new drill looks like a fighter cockpit

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dumbfuck is planning on killing the nuclear deal next week. 40 years of stupid bullshit hasn't been enough apparently.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well it'll certainly give Tillerson an easy out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Dumbfuck is planning on killing the nuclear deal next week. 40 years of stupid bullshit hasn't been enough apparently.

Because Trump is so monumentally god drat stupid and Perry is running the department of energy, is this the Iran nuclear deal so he can continue throwing his toddler fit all over anything Obama did or is there another nuclear deal he's going to make the world a measurably worse place with? Have to be specific about Donnie's fuckups, there's too many.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Because Trump is so monumentally god drat stupid and Perry is running the department of energy, is this the Iran nuclear deal so he can continue throwing his toddler fit all over anything Obama did or is there another nuclear deal he's going to make the world a measurably worse place with? Have to be specific about Donnie's fuckups, there's too many.
He has to certify that they're following the terms of the deal, which by all indications they are. He's really pissed about the last time because Mattis sat him down and made him sign it. None of the other partners want to negotiate another deal so this will probably set us back to right after Axis of Evil levels of bullshit.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

This but extend it out to all rotating machinery. It will end you.

loving truth. Gear head lathes hunger for naught but the flesh of man.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Isn't Shooting tracker the site run by a creepy reddit user that uses a standard that even mother jones said was dishonest an inaccurate?

Yep. They'd count poo poo like two kids playing with BB guns or a bus speeding away from a perceived gunshot and people in the back stumbling to the floor.

Also holy crap that PTO video is something alright :stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well we found out why the government suddenly and quickly banned Kaspersky. Apparently it was used to steal files that NSA contractor had loaded onto his personal computer.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-10-05/russian-hackers-get-us-cyber-defense-details-from-nsa-wsj

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

He's really pissed about the last time because Mattis sat him down and made him sign it.

This is a phenomenal mental image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

This is a phenomenal mental image
"I WANT MY TWO SCOOPS UNCLE JIM!! I'M NOT SIGNING TILL I GET MY TWO SCOOPS!!"
*Fills his diaper and throws a kicking and screaming temper tantrum on the floor.

• Locked thread