Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I think you'll get a lot better discussion on the political stuff in the TFR Vegas thread that's currently going.

FWIW I'm opposed to such an expansion of the NFA and don't see how it could even be passed anyways in the current govt environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'd be opposed because, frankly, a) that's loving stupid and b) does not solve anything. The NFA is already unconstitutional.

If people really, truly want to address violence, they need to address the causes (yes, plural "causes") of violence. There is no one-size-fits-all solution for those several problems.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Let's just amend the Constitution, gently caress it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Because it's annoying or because it doesn't go far enough? If you really want one, you can still get one, it just takes $200, paperwork, and waiting.

Litterally planning ahead vs instant gratification for American gun owners.

I bring it up because while I'd be fine with a blanket ban on anything semi automatic made after 1950 (more to see ANY real progress, even though I want them myself) everyone I know resorted to whataboutism and 'don't blame the gun' so I managed to get general agreement that buying magazine fed rifles sameday in walmart is unnecessary.

Semi-automatic rifles like AR-15s and AKs are used in something like 2.5% of gun-related crimes. Congratulations, you've saved a few hundred people a year in the absolute best case scenario.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

Semi-automatic rifles like AR-15s and AKs are used in something like 2.5% of gun-related crimes. Congratulations, you've saved a few hundred people a year in the absolute best case scenario.

So an actual number of lives saved?

What are they for if not to kill people

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

So an actual number of lives saved?

What are they for if not to kill people

Hunting, target shooting, and the most reliable option for home defense out of every category of firearm.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

Hunting, target shooting, and the most reliable option for home defense out of every category of firearm.

You don't need the 'quickly kill a lot of people' part to do any of those.

This is going to break americas brain.

Because I want them for fun, but I understand that I can't buy hand grenades just because they're fun. They're not toys, guns were invented and exist for killing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You're probably not going to find much agreement in calling to outright ban semi-automatic rifles in 99% of the gun owning community.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ban pistols instead

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I know. I don't want to be disallowed from owning them either, but in the same way I want to buy a javelin but understand why Nobody is allowed to buy a javelin.

I'm writing an effort post over in the gunchat/copchat thread to keep from making GBS threads up too much.

Still got an RPR and a CZ P-10C on my Christmas list for now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

You don't need the 'quickly kill a lot of people' part to do any of those.

This is going to break americas brain.

Because I want them for fun, but I understand that I can't buy hand grenades just because they're fun. They're not toys, guns were invented and exist for killing.

What method do you have for banning and confiscating millions of firearms in a cost-effective manner to (in the absolute best case scenario) reduce homicide by 5%?

And that is absolute best case scenario, as in 100% of all weapons you ban actually get confiscated and every single crime that will be committed with them isn't committed with something else.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

What method do you have for banning and confiscating millions of firearms in a cost-effective manner to (in the absolute best case scenario) reduce homicide by 5%?

And that is absolute best case scenario, as in 100% of all weapons you ban actually get confiscated and every single crime that will be committed with them isn't committed with something else.

Where are you getting your numbers? Shootings make up the vast majority of homicides in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

at the date posted:

Where are you getting your numbers? Shootings make up the vast majority of homicides in the US.

He wanted to get rid of semi-automatic rifles, specifically. Didn't say a word about anything else, just putting semi-autos on the NFA.

About 2% of gun deaths and less than 1% of gun injuries are committed with rifles like AR-15s. He's proposing something that, in an absolute best case scenario where everything went perfectly and every single homicide or injury committed with rifles went away instantly, would cause a decrease of 2%.

And it wouldn't have even stopped the Vegas shooter, since the weapons were bought legally over a period of multiple years with a large amount of disposable income. He's proposing a decision based on knee-jerk fear, not anything that would actually help.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

at the date posted:

Not shootings with semiautomatic rifles.

Which, yeah, banning semi-autos is loving ignorance of the highest order and wouldn't do poo poo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

at the date posted:

Specifically, per the FBI all rifles accounted for a grand total of 248 homicides in 2014. Self loading rifles will by definition be a subset of that.

That's nothing. If you want to save lives, mandate ignition interlocks on all cars instead, and save the 9,967 people killed by DUIs the same year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821185&pagenumber=14#post477050040

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For the record, proposals like this are exactly why a lot of gun owners tend to react to disdain to suggestions for new laws. Practically everything that gets proposed after an incident like this would do little or nothing to prevent such incidents or reduce gun violence across the board, have holes you could fly a 747 through, and/or disproportionately disarm the poor and minorities and make legal self-defense a privilege of wealthy white people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I thought this was the cool pictures of guns thread

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

gently caress, I can still taste that skunk spray smell in the back of my mouth. That poo poo is potent when fresh.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
boil vinegar

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You can 3d print an ar15 receiver for a couple of bucks so eventually all this poo poo is gonna be pointless. You want an illegal gun gently caress it print one and buy the critical steel parts you can't from Amazon, that poo poo ain't regulated.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That being said I'm not saying do nothing, but be smart about what you want to tackle, not just knee jerk at everything.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Pesticide20 posted:

Ban pistols instead

I've always said anybody who actually gave a poo poo about saving lives would go after pistols instead of assault weapons.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Rat posted:

gently caress, I can still taste that skunk spray smell in the back of my mouth. That poo poo is potent when fresh.
Still better than the taste the last page or two of this thread has left.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

So out of curiosity, who would be against adding semi automatic rifles to the NFA?

Raises uncultured paw.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Passed out drunk on the floor in a pile of "But actually..." forum posts

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with some form of gun control laws. Under one condition:

The people who write them need to actually know what they are talking about. The current laws make little sense to the point that the ATF has a difficult time labeling some "firearms". Stop caring about what makes the weapon look scary and care more about function and capability.

You might actually get some people on board then.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ASAPI posted:

Honestly, I'm totally cool with some form of gun control laws. Under one condition:

The people who write them need to actually know what they are talking about. The current laws make little sense to the point that the ATF has a difficult time labeling some "firearms". Stop caring about what makes the weapon look scary and care more about function and capability.

You might actually get some people on board then.

Ok so it's proven that cheap, easily available handguns are one widely used guns in crimes. The average cost of a pistol is $300-$600 range. How about a tax on manufacturers on each firearm created up an established MSRP $500. So if a pistol costs $25 to make out of pot-metal and compressed kitty litter then the tax would be $475 to be payed by the manufacture before it even leaves the factory. So a well-manufactured pistol made out of quality materials costs $475 then the tax would be $25. The amount payed could be used as a tax right off for the purchaser. I think this could reduce the amount of lovely pistols being made that typically exchange hands off the back of a truck or straw sales. People with too many uses of these tax credits could be tracked.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

* I'm not 100% opposed, I'd take overturning the Hughes Amendment (1986 ban) and turning the C&R FFL into some sort of blanket gun collector permit (with an obviously stringent background check) that lets you own pretty much anything in a trade for making semi-auto magazine fed rifles into NFA items.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's three in the morning, I shouldn't still be awake, but here's a funny gun (yes, that's a third hole):

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

An AR-15 is objectively the best firearm for home defense in the vast majority of cases. It's safer for your neighbors than a pistol or shotgun, easier to use well, better capacity, easy to mount a good light and optic on, etc.

Putting semi-auto rifles on the NFA would do little to nothing to stop the crimes committed with them, while also making it more expensive in both time and money for the people who most need them. Not to mention the places where NFA items are banned.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How is an AR15 "safer for the neighbors" than a shotgun full of bird shot?

Someone comes in my door, I want them picking pellets out of their asses.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

1- i think that the general idea is that if you're willing to shoot someone then you need to be willing to kill that person. if you aren't willing to kill that person, then you didn't really feel threatened to the point where deadly force is necessary.
2- shooting someone, whether birdshot or .45-70, is deadly force.

idk im sure some lawyer or gun nerd goon will elaborate later.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Neighbors are safe when they dead.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Bllomberg reporting that NRA is now 'Open for discussion on rapid fire accessories.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So, bump-stocks and other poo poo that facilitates high rates of fire while not technically being "automatic", Im assuming?