Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell YES I can play OP Millia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last fighting game I played in any depth was Soul Calibur 3, which I wasn't particularly good at.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SIGN is a few revisions old at this point so I don't really remember what the differences were. I think SIGN ramlethal was pretty ridiculous? I like that Rev let's you switch between 1/2 but it would have been cool if you could also drop down to SIGN

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

look at how ugly they made joe

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I thought Rev was the older one, and Sign the newer, because Sign is way more expensive on the PS store.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think Rev is cheaper because Rev2 (the rev sequel) was made as DLC instead of a separate release

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh weird. Huh. Well, if Sign turns out to be a bad starting place I can always move on to Rev.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its the same basic game just nobody has it installed any more

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's okay, I'm way too lovely to play against humans.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

[quote="“In Training”" post="“477079593”"]
look at how ugly they made joe

[/quote]

Ugh!!!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think the only system differences between Sign and Revelator are you can't do charge blitz and you can't do burst supers in Sign, and of course you don't get any of the characters added in Rev or Rev2. The character balance and gameplay wasn't radically shifted from Sign to Revelator if I recall, Rev2 is what really altered the characters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well, turns out I can't input commands for poo poo. Are there tricks to a PS4 controller?

Edit: Other than developing some calluses on my thumb before all the skin wears away from the d-pad.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i played it quite a bit with a pad and found it okay. go into the training mode, make sure the input viewer is on, and do whatever motion you're trying to do slowly and cleanly. you're probably trying to do a hadoken motion or whatever too fast and missing an input

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/RamenBomber/status/906334815691124737

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i played it quite a bit with a pad and found it okay. go into the training mode, make sure the input viewer is on, and do whatever motion you're trying to do slowly and cleanly. you're probably trying to do a hadoken motion or whatever too fast and missing an input
This is super helpful. I'm trying to do Faust's combo with the spear, pull back, and then three aerial hits, and it's a ton of directional inputs super fast. I can usually hit them all, but not fast enough to keep the combo up. Same issue with doing a kill move or an overdrive or ultimate or whatever they're called. Putting in two hadokens that fast is still beyond me. But I have no fighting game muscle memory at all.

I guess I should practice some simpler combos. I went through the tutorial, but I forget all the stuff I can do when I actually do the arcade mode. I never remember to flawless defense or do the special shield block or roman cancel or anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“FactsAreUseless”" post="“477090991”"]
This is super helpful. I’m trying to do Faust’s combo with the spear, pull back, and then three aerial hits, and it’s a ton of directional inputs super fast. I can usually hit them all, but not fast enough to keep the combo up. Same issue with doing a kill move or an overdrive or ultimate or whatever they’re called. Putting in two hadokens that fast is still beyond me. But I have no fighting game muscle memory at all.

I guess I should practice some simpler combos. I went through the tutorial, but I forget all the stuff I can do when I actually do the arcade mode. I never remember to flawless defense or do the special shield block or roman cancel or anything.
[/quote]

It took me 2 years to go from hopeless to plain bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

It took me 2 years to go from hopeless to plain bad

same, but probably longer because my learning process was "loving around with KoF 2000 and SFA3 on a keyboard"

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

how does this happen lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“HORMELCHILI”" post="“477095161”"]
how does this happen lol
[/quote]
A dark fate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

None of my friends will face my naoto...if only i could force people to learn and play this game with me...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

May is epic, if your a kid who came up on early 00s random Lulz and thought marine wildlife was really funny and epic like me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now that I've started being able to push the buttons, what are some good strategies with Faust? He seems unusually defensive for a very rushdown-heavy game, without a ton of combos (that I've figured out).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's more a zoner because of his item toss. It's best to learn when you're safe to throw out an item and then react situationally to whatever you get to keep up pressure. You can also YRC door teleports to make them safe and instantly close the gap on people. His sweep is also huge, and picking up combos into knockdown off of it will be very useful. I think P-Mack has been learning Faust so he can help more than I can

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

He's more a zoner because of his item toss. It's best to learn when you're safe to throw out an item and then react situationally to whatever you get to keep up pressure. You can also YRC door teleports to make them safe and instantly close the gap on people. His sweep is also huge, and picking up combos into knockdown off of it will be very useful. I think P-Mack has been learning Faust so he can help more than I can
The sweep (crouch + heavy slash is what you mean, right?) is already a staple part of my strategy. I love using the door to get around other characters who throw out projectiles, like Venom or uh... Ky, I think his name is?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Sweep is always down + Dust, with the exception of one or two characters. They'll always cause knockdown when they connect. Super basic Guilty Gear strategy is to always try and confirm a hit into a knockdown, and comboing into sweep is a really easy way to do that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“Kongming”" post="“477121187”"]
Sweep is always down + Dust, with the exception of one or two characters. They’ll always cause knockdown when they connect. Super basic Guilty Gear strategy is to always try and confirm a hit into a knockdown, and comboing into sweep is a really easy way to do that.
[/quote]
Is there some way to determine where Faust's sweep pops up? It seems to have a super short range.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking "does Faust's sweep pop out in different places" the answer is no. Normals don't have variable hitboxes like that. You'll just have to get a feel on the range of it.

If you're asking "in what situations would I use Faust's sweep" then I can't really provide an answer in good faith because I don't play Faust so I have limited knowledge on what his gameplan really is. All characters can combo into sweep by doing a basic gatling route like Punch > Kick > Slash > Hard Slash > Dust.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kongming posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking "does Faust's sweep pop out in different places" the answer is no. Normals don't have variable hitboxes like that. You'll just have to get a feel on the range of it.

If you're asking "in what situations would I use Faust's sweep" then I can't really provide an answer in good faith because I don't play Faust so I have limited knowledge on what his gameplan really is. All characters can combo into sweep by doing a basic gatling route like Punch > Kick > Slash > Hard Slash > Dust.
Okay, I thought Faust's sweep tracked the enemy's position to pop up under them. But I'll keep that in mind. One of the things I like about GG is that button combos seem pretty standardized across characters, letting you focus more on strategy and learning the character than just muscle memory.

My big goal right now is to start incorporating all the stuff that uses your super meter more. I haven't gotten the hang of roman cancels and those special blocks yet. Also there's some sort of counter or interrupt attack that uses a partial bar? I should double-check the tutorial.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“FactsAreUseless”" post="“477121892”"]
Okay, I thought Faust’s sweep tracked the enemy’s position to pop up under them. But I’ll keep that in mind. One of the things I like about GG is that button combos seem pretty standardized across characters, letting you focus more on strategy and learning the character than just muscle memory.

My big goal right now is to start incorporating all the stuff that uses your super meter more. I haven’t gotten the hang of roman cancels and those special blocks yet. Also there’s some sort of counter or interrupt attack that uses a partial bar? I should double-check the tutorial.
[/quote]

If you hold two buttons to faultless block but dont hold back you blitz shield. In rev, Charging it gives you a counter attack

If you are in block stun and tap forward with the same buttons you dead angle attack. Its like an alpha counter sorta thing. Its very important which is why i always forget about it

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

If you hold two buttons to faultless block but dont hold back you blitz shield. In rev, Charging it gives you a counter attack

If you are in block stun and tap forward with the same buttons you dead angle attack. Its like an alpha counter sorta thing. Its very important which is why i always forget about it

Not entirely correct. Blitz Shield requires you to hit Hard Slash + one other button besides dust. So if you hit Punch + Kick for instance you won't blitz shield at all but you'll do a punch normal (because punch has higher priority than kick). Dead Angle is what you describe except it can be any two buttons besides dust. Blitz uses 25 meter and Dead Angle uses 50.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Faust's standing slash is a really good long range poke, just press that if you don't know what else to do.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

1. GGP|Kazunoko (Raven)
2. CO|Dogura (Raven)
3. Kenkaze (Raven, Chipp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFB8vRpUyAM&t=37s

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i made a forums account . i play bb and gg and mvci on ps4, fightcade stuff, and i just got a switch and pokken. greets

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

b_d posted:

i made a forums account . i play bb and gg and mvci on ps4, fightcade stuff, and i just got a switch and pokken. greets

Welcome brother. Tell the story of the old ST man.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i played a really old dude at ST at an arcade in SF once a couple years ago. he was just fighting the computer and staring at the screen and I said mind if I play? he didn't say anything so I put in my quarter(s) and picked blanka and got beat down handily. after a couple of games I thanked him and went to the other machines. I don't think he ever said a word except grunts and never looked away from the screen

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What color Blanka did he pick.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh you picked Blanka... nvm.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think I'm going to get Pokken. Who else has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think he was ryu and i don't remember it being a particular ryu but it's all a violent blur

• Locked thread