Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

Virulently hating children is one of the biggest, most obvious flags for a person being a total piece of poo poo

Yeah it truly is impressive how the OP managed to turn such a black and white issue of "a relative I don't like keeps dropping their baby off in a common area of my place without asking me, leaving, and expects me to babysit all day" into a post where they also look like human garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Me [37 F] with my best friend [37 F] of 30 years, should she go through with the wedding?

quote:

My best friend and her fiance planned a large, expensive wedding, set up for next month. Well they confessed to me that they basically decided they are not ok now with becoming life partners. They are still friends, but the relationship isn't going to work out. They're freaking out because they want to just go through with the wedding and then get quietly divorced after rather than a) blowing all the money since everything is paid for and b) suffering the pain and embarrassment of canceling the wedding.

They mentioned this to one or two other people who flipped out at them, telling them that "it would cost soooo much more to get divorced" and how it would be the "worse feeling ever" to do the wedding knowing they weren't staying together. I guess I'm supposed to say the same thing since I've also heard this advice, but honestly, getting divorced when you both agree on everything and have no kids, costs like $250. As far as how they would feel, they don't seem to be that concerned with it, but they feel scared someone might give them crap at or after the wedding when they found out they're splitting up. I'm trying to do the right thing by my friend; I'm totally sympathetic to not wanting to cancel the wedding and ruin the big party that everyone paid so much for, but I don't want to steer her wrong. She really trusts my opinion as we're childhood friends. What do you guys think?

tl;dr: Me [37 F] with my best friend [37 F] of 30 years, should she go through with the wedding?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Free-to-play mobile game.

I mean, come on, you could have guessed that.

(quickly moving to occupy the niche of "anime video game expert in the r/relationships thread" before any other goon can claim it)

Jumping on the grenade for the squad. I salute you for your service, brave soldier.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah it truly is impressive how the OP managed to turn such a black and white issue of "a relative I don't like keeps dropping their baby off in a common area of my place without asking me, leaving, and expects me to babysit all day" into a post where they also look like human garbage.

I also like how such a clear, simple, and easily directed question is asked to the internet rather than the police. It's not like the kid has to be physically present at the moment in order to call them up and say "hey, this is going on, what the gently caress?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doggles posted:

Me [37 F] with my best friend [37 F] of 30 years, should she go through with the wedding?

Are we sure they arent [insert sitcom about bad people]? Because this all sounds like an elaborate ruse to get wedding gifts.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Doggles posted:

Just the fact that they're joking about getting pre-divorced shows me they aren't ready.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, like, they know that the marriage isnt the legally binding part, right? You still have to fill out paperwork after. Just you know, dont do that part just like you dont love your partner.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

But he was in a wheelchair and endearingly socially awkward and...

Y'know, it goes without saying that Pick dodged a bullet, or more accurately that it missed her despite desperately trying to throw herself in front of the gun, but the outcome probably wouldn't have been all that different.

Rag on me, not Hugh. He's fine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

fruit on the bottom posted:

If she is to do this again? what are my options? Am I auto liable for the child if I'm the only adult in the house? If I have work, I can't just go to work? 
Auto liability coverage is basically a non issue in this case, unless it's a mobile home. Which, all things considered, it definitely is.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Slugworth posted:

Auto liability coverage is basically a non issue in this case, unless it's a mobile home. Which, all things considered, it definitely is.

I like that this is a thing you said.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lmao at the idea of this adult with bills and responsibilities calling a baby "that thing" and proudly sharing it with reddit

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/916012729990660097

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My [25F] boyfriend [27M] of a year has a cat and the way he treats it bothers me.

quote:

Edit: I'm really surprised at how this is apparently normal. If that's the case, I don't think I could deal with this in the long term and should do myself a favor and consider ending the relationship.

I've been dating this guy for a year. Otherwise nice, handsome, funny, good job. But he has a cat that he's had for years that I think he's way too attached to and affectionate about.

If the cat is sitting on his lap, he'll avoid getting up unless he has to, citing the cat being asleep or in his terms "she's catting". He's asked me to get him stuff from the kitchen when I get a drink, when he could just move the cat himself.

Sometimes he'll be at the computer, on the couch, or even lying in bed and the cat will jump on him. Or he'll come home when I'm already there since I have a key and sometimes get off work before and the cat will run to greet him. What bothers me is in these instances he's said, more than once, "there's my girl!" and stop what he's doing to scratch the cat behind its ears or pet it or whatever.

This seems like way too much attention for a grown man to be lavishing on a cat of all things.

I've considered suggesting he get rid of it, but he's had it for something like seven years and don't know if he'd give it up.

Do I have any options here?

tl;dr: Boyfriend has a cat that I think he's too affectionate towards. How can I remedy this?

[Update] My [25F] boyfriend [27M] of a year has a cat and the way he treats it bothers me.

quote:

Yesterday I posted about concerns I had with the way I thought my boyfriend was overly affectionate with his cat.

I, like the rest of my family, view pets in a utilitarian light. I'm just not comfortable with a lot of affection being displayed towards an animal even if it's supposedly "normal". I gave it consideration during and after the tread and decided to break up with my boyfriend.

When I broached the topic and the reason his response was:
"Oh, good. To be honest I've been trying to figure out the most tactful way to break it off since our argument where you wanted me to euthanize my cat to save money. I also wanted to take time to think about if I was sure I thought we were done. You can give me your apartment key back now and have your stuff out by Friday night. I'll buzz you in if you can't finish tonight."

So I guess that's it. That was abrupt.

Edit: Lots of people are commenting about the euthanasia thing. I was surprised he'd spend $600 on a vet bill, I figured putting the cat down would be cheaper. My dad never spent money like that on a vet.

tl;dr: decided to break up with my boyfriend because I don't agree with our views on affection towards animals. He already wanted to and wants my stuff out by tomorrow.

:catstare:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqGTn7PCBw

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Doggles posted:

My [25F] boyfriend [27M] of a year has a cat and the way he treats it bothers me.

[Update] My [25F] boyfriend [27M] of a year has a cat and the way he treats it bothers me.

gently caress you lady God drat

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
He did what she wanted...decisively and kindly killed the relationship, which was much cheaper than trying to save it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Doggles posted:

BEEP BOOP THE CONCEPT OF LOVE DOES NOT COMPUTE PROPOSAL: EUTHANIZE CAT TO INCREASE ECONOMIC EFFICIENCY

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
sounds like she needs to be put down

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Captain Yossarian posted:

gently caress you lady God drat

Pet(e)

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Doggles posted:

Holy poo poo this lady is ice cold

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

I was surprised he'd spend $600 on a vet bill, I figured putting the cat down would be cheaper. My dad never spent money like that on a vet.

I shutter to think about how this girl's family dealt with their pets when they no longer had any "utility"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Doggles posted:

My boyfriend's not gay, he's just a BIG FAG

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doggles posted:

gently caress you lady, seriously,

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doggles posted:

Does it still count as a buried lede if she has it airlifted to Australia to save on the expense of tunneling through the earth's core?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
She should get together with the guy who was annoyed that his girlfriend referred to both him and the dog as "her boys".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also lol that both threads are basically 100% her getting dunked on.

quote:

I'm sorry, this man loves his cat and you want him to GET RID OF IT? How does him being affectionate to his cat even effect you? My BF has a picture of his cat on his credit card and also greets his cat when he gets home everyday by laying on the floor and petting him. Some guys like cats, it's not a big deal. This cat has been there before you and by the sounds of it, it'll be there after you too.

:thurman:

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 5, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

While trying to google that reddit post so I could gawk at the comments I found this thing....

My [25F] boyfriend [26M] of 1 year just told me that he wants me to pay him a rental fee for borrowing his car to visit my family. Am I wrong to be upset?

submitted 1 year ago * by crystalcleric

quote:

Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem. I would just take my car, but it is being fixed right now. This meant that in order for me to drive to see my family for Thanksgiving I would have to either rent a car or borrow someone's. Since my boyfriend was flying out to California for Thanksgiving and wouldn't be using his, I asked him if he would mind if I borrowed it. He told me that of course I could borrow his car.

Nothing else was said about it until today (other than some minor things). I texted him to thank him again for helping me. The way I worded things apparently made it clear to him that I was only planning to cover the gas I used, and he told me that he expected me to pay him a "reasonable" fee for using the car. Reasonable to him is $50 a day plus replacing the gas I use (so the visit will cost me at least $250 in addition to whatever the gas costs).

It is his car, so I don't think I can really argue with him about this. I do understand in principal. I don't think being his girlfriend entitles me to use his stuff whenever I want, but I am hurt that he is being so stingy. We've been together for a year; it's the holidays; and my only other option was renting a car through a private company. I guess I would have hoped that he would have been more sympathetic, but maybe he has a right to expect that he be paid for use of his car. I don't know. I very rarely ask him for any favors and cover all of my expenses myself, so he can't say that I am using him or exploiting him financially. This has never come up before, so I have been taken off guard. Maybe I am being too sensitive?

EDIT: Just so you guys know, I am already at my family's house. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

tl;dr: I had to borrow my boyfriend's car to visit my family. He wants me to pay him $50 per day for use of it. I am upset by this, but I think that maybe I am just being too sensitive.
but!

quote:

Hey, everyone. I know a lot of you have been wanting an update. I meant to post one way a few days ago, but things have been really busy lately.

I didn't want to ruin my Thanksgiving holiday thinking about the car situation, so I decided to wait until I got back to discuss it with my boyfriend. I was really hoping that this was all just a misunderstanding, but unfortunately it was not.

When I brought up the rental payment, my boyfriend said that he thought it was only fair that I compensate him for the use of his car. He asked me if I had a problem with that, and I told him that I did. I mentioned what some of you said about how I could have rented a car for less if I had known he was going to charge me. I also told him how I felt like he had taken advantage of me by only mentioning the fee after I had taken his car.

One thing that one of you mentioned was that maybe someone had suggested it to him. I asked him about that, and he said that no one had said anything. He just figured that it would only be fair for me to pay for the use of his car. I did at least get him to see that the price he charged me was too high, but he didn't think he was wrong about the fee. We ended up having a larger conversation about how tight he is with money and some other things I mentioned in my first post. I didn't intend to break up with him, but after he still insisted on the rental payment, I just realized that he was not someone I wanted to be with. I did end up paying him, but it was $100 instead of $250.

So that's the update. He has apologized and asked me to take him back, but I don't think I'm interested anymore. Thanks for your help everyone.
You better read all that so that you can read this

quote:

lol so when he asked you to take him back did he offer a refund? Sorry it didn't work out!

The OP posted:

He did, so there's that.

edit: Reddit with some rare form:

quote:

Did he charge you a cancellation fee when you broke up with him?

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 5, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Madmaxthatsbait.gif.

At least that's what I have to tell myself.

E: re the cat thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Doggles posted:

I hate domesticated cats and think they should all be shot and I still side with the guy on this one. WTF.

Paying $600 for a cat is loving stupid. But paying $600 for a companion that makes you feel good isn't loving stupid. Lady doesn't understand the concept of personal value.

LethalGeek posted:

While trying to google that reddit post so I could gawk at the comments I found this thing....

My [25F] boyfriend [26M] of 1 year just told me that he wants me to pay him a rental fee for borrowing his car to visit my family. Am I wrong to be upset?

submitted 1 year ago * by crystalcleric

but!
You better read all that so that you can read this

edit: Reddit with some rare form:

Smart move would be to take him back, get the cash back and then dump him again. "It just makes more sense this way, thanks chump!"

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I keep almost using this thread to gripe about my personal problems and then I realize it isn't for and e/n exists and then I realize that I would have to post in e/n and that usually settles that.

A dumpable offence from gf (22/F) or am I (32/M) being unreasonable?

quote:

Have been getting to know my new gf. We’ve got an amazing conversation going on and the level of attraction has been off the scale.

Issue began because she is a musician. She sent over some of her songs and other music she listens to.

I honestly can’t believe how bad her tunes are.

The relationship basically died for me and I’m shocked at how unreasonable my reaction is.

I know it’s a silly reason to breakup. She’s lovely. We have a great time and all that, but she stopped feeling special when I found out she had such bad taste.

Have never had such an impulsive reaction to a gf before but this feels like a line crossed, one I didn’t know I had. Anyone else gone through a similar experience?

Tl;dr: girlfriends a musician and the music is so bad I think we have to breakup. Over the top? Yes. What can be done?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He should just break it off, because she's clearly hoping he's going to love her music and there's just no way to gracefully tell somebody they suck. It's one thing if she's still learning to play or whatever, but it sounds like she thinks her music is really good.

He needs an excuse though because "your music is so bad that I can't even look at you anymore" is just a crushing blow to be dealt.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

This is hilarious. I wish we could hear music so bad it causes a spontaneous breakup

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Maybe the music is good but his taste is just a decade older.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV8pNfeAGVc

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Outrail posted:

I hate domesticated cats and think they should all be shot

the gently caress is wrong with you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
animals are good :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I keep almost using this thread to gripe about my personal problems and then I realize it isn't for and e/n exists and then I realize that I would have to post in e/n and that usually settles that.

Always Read The Comments

quote:

[–]butequally [S] [score hidden] 13 hours ago
Not so sure in this relationship. When I was her age my lover was 16 years older. Worked great and I haven’t really changed that much

[–]gjallard [score hidden] 13 hours ago
It couldn't have worked out THAT great, could it? Where is that person now? Why did it end?

[–]butequally [S] [score hidden] 13 hours ago
Why couldn’t it have worked out great? Because we’re not still together? I don’t often go into sexual relationships hoping they last forever, and definitely not that one. She’s probably working as a psychologist somewhere busy loving a patient or student.
Either way we had happy times together. That’s why it was great

Pick posted:

animals are good :colbert:
:yeah:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're charging anything, charge the irs standard per-mile rate. People don't seem to understand that gas isn't the only consumable on a car, wear and tear is a thing especially if the 5 day car borrow means out of the state

But that's if you're asking for anything in the first place, which doesn't sound right here unless it's something like a cross-country drive

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Waterbed Wendy posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you

I like the ~200 native animals more than I like the cat that eats them.

What I really mean is I typically like the average cat, but I hate cats. If it's neutered and kept indoors then sure fine. But there's enough irresponsible owners that I don't think it's worth it.

Also they make me sneeze. And my comfort comes before everything and everyone else. gently caress you.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's really not the fault of the cat. It's sort of like how I like spiders, but house law is that a spider in my house is subject to either ejection or death depending on its location and size. Nothing against the spiders, and I'd never say I hate a spider, but a spider in my bed must be destroyed.