Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the current smogon Metagame of the Month is Ultimate Z, and i figured people here might think its funny enough to give a shot

basically you can use any Z-crystal with any move, and it'll use the Z-move of the crystal's type. so if you gave a Z-Waterium to a Charizard and used it for Flamethrower, it'd use Hydro Vortex. basically this lets you have coverage on stuff you wouldnt be able to otherwise

but the real cute part is that you can use z-moves as many times as you want per battle, on as many pokemon as you want. Z-Normalium adaptability porygon-z hyper beam forever. or stuff like z-psych up which heals you and copies any boosts your opponent got from their own stupid z-moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So it's basically poke-Pennywise? Guess that explains why it's Ghost instead of Fairy (not that Fairies are any less jerks in this game).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

the current smogon Metagame of the Month is Ultimate Z, and i figured people here might think its funny enough to give a shot

basically you can use any Z-crystal with any move, and it'll use the Z-move of the crystal's type. so if you gave a Z-Waterium to a Charizard and used it for Flamethrower, it'd use Hydro Vortex. basically this lets you have coverage on stuff you wouldnt be able to otherwise

but the real cute part is that you can use z-moves as many times as you want per battle, on as many pokemon as you want. Z-Normalium adaptability porygon-z hyper beam forever. or stuff like z-psych up which heals you and copies any boosts your opponent got from their own stupid z-moves.

mega evos forever

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
mix and mega already has a ladder!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just discovered that Shedinja can learn Final Gambit via breeding. Strange, that.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Ariong posted:

Just discovered that Shedinja can learn Final Gambit via breeding. Strange, that.

I think that would be a fun challenge. Try to get a kill with final gambit shedinja. It would need to be a false swiper used before hand onto a poke that can't heal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm so glad they're expanding the Ultra Space lore. I had thought when Sumo came out that what we saw of Ultra Space probably wasn't representative of the whole alternate dimension Nihilego came from, just like... the specific biome Nihilego likes? Not that I expect other areas would be any less weird, but I guess we're going to get the chance to find out!

I've been saving my Celebi code for USUM but I'm kind of worried it somehow won't work. I don't have Pokemon bank yet but was planning to get it next month, is it wiser to just get Celebi in Sumo and tranfer it over?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Toxic Trio :love:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont really like Adhesive's design very much but the other two new UBs are still cool despite Assembly having a really dumb typing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone who doesn't like adhesive is going to have to fight me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Is it me, or are USUM looking more like a sequel than a "third version?"

Seems like we're getting an extra act after completing the 4th island. And it's either a fairly extensive act or there'll be Ultra Space exploration in the postgame.

It's more than I was expecting especially with a new Team to beat but Sinnoh added a whole lot its post game and had an extended storyline as well, so it's not completely out of the ordinary for a 3rd version. Still a bigger update though.

Also man Adhesive is such a boring looking Ultra Beast. All their designs are incredible or strange or interesting then there's just this purple imp. Even Guzzlord had like 5 mouths which is an impressive number of mouths. Adhesive is just disappointing by comparison.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone who doesn't like adhesive is going to have to fight me

It lacks the quality that the other UBs have where they don't really look like pokemon. They have a distinct otherness that Adhesive lacks. I dunno, maybe it's different in motion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it looks like a gen 4 pixie but uglier

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It's super cool

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Adhesive is a great design... Just not a great UB design. It's too normal. That said, after nihilego it's my favorite design. My poison friends are so cute!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the best thing about Adhesive is that it absorbs toxic spikes and might outspeed the tapus

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jade Mage posted:

Adhesive is a great design... Just not a great UB design. It's too normal. That said, after nihilego it's my favorite design. My poison friends are so cute!

That exactly it. If Adhesive were a pokemon I'd think "Oh, that's a fine pokemon!" What I like about all the other UBs is that if they were pokemon then when I saw them I'd be like "Ugh, what is that?"

Like, it has a regular face with two ovals for eyes and a line for the mouth. It's very out of place compared to the other UBs for that alone.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

the best thing about Adhesive is that it absorbs toxic spikes and might outspeed the tapus

Yeah its non-code name is Tapu Nono

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
heres my ideal for Assembly:

109 - HP
43 - Attack
121 - Defense
115 - Sp. Attack
125 - Sp. Defense
57 - Speed

and give him Shore Up and Calm Mind

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ariong posted:

Like, it has a regular face with two ovals for eyes and a line for the mouth. It's very out of place compared to the other UBs for that alone.

Pheromosa, Cosmog and Celesteela my dude.

It's cute and cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

looks like i'm going to have to fight a lot of haters in this thread.....................

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Pheromosa, Cosmog and Celesteela my dude.

Oh, I have Sun so I don't have either of those, but surely you aren't suggesting that they look just as much like normal pokemon as this new one does. (Is Cosmog a pokemon?)

quote:

It's cute and cool.

Yes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cosmog's basically a ub but it's also the version legendary so it has to be marketable and everything so it's easily the most normal looking ultra beast. Which i'm fine with, I understand the reason's behind it.

But Adhesive looks a whole lot more like a regular pokemon than Pheromosa and Celesteela. Pheromosa's head is a thin disc with narrow eyes, it's got its weird spindly legs and arms and torso made up of connected cones. It's one of the less strange looking Ultra Beasts but it's still a design that feels sorta un-Pokemon much more so than Adhesive at least. Celesteela doesn't even have eyes. It's got a far too long neck with metallic hair that make up the body of a space ship and then it's got two giant floating rocket arms next to it which also resemble thrusters. It's a weird design.

Adhesive just isn't super novel. I like the needles on its head though. I'm assuming those are needles

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

He's saying all those UBs have faces.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

less laughter posted:

It's super cool

it looks like the prince vorkken to slowking's wonder red

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the needles on its head though. I'm assuming those are needles

they're venom spouts

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alxprit posted:

He's saying all those UBs have faces.

He said they have a regular face and I dispute that! At least for Celesteela. I can buy it for Cosmog and Pheromosa, though i'd argue that Pheromosa is at least a little different from the norm too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

less laughter posted:

they're venom spouts

I still hope it injects people with them to spout the venom. Just sticks its head into things and pumps them full of deadly toxins. I think that'd be cute.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pheromosa probably could have been a non-UB legendary no problem. Same with Adhesive. I don't hate either design but I'd rather they use their limited UB slots for truly weird-rear end poo poo and use their more normal designs in the next gen's main roster.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He said they have a regular face and I dispute that! At least for Celesteela. I can buy it for Cosmog and Pheromosa, though i'd argue that Pheromosa is at least a little different from the norm too.

Celesteela is literally two ovals for eyes and a straight line for a mouth.

Pheromosa trades a line for a dot.

Dunno, just in relation to how Adhesive doesn't match the other UB's overall theme/design (which I agree with even though I like Adhesive a lot), its face isn't really something I'd nitpick.

Beheeyem is closer to a UB than Adhesive.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 5, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I still hope it injects people with them to spout the venom. Just sticks its head into things and pumps them full of deadly toxins. I think that'd be cute.

I agree, that would be adorbs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Celesteela is literally two ovals for eyes and a straight line for a mouth.

Pheromosa trades a line for a dot.

Dunno, just in relation to how Adhesive doesn't match the other UB's overall theme/design (which I agree with even though I like Adhesive a lot), its face isn't really something I'd nitpick.

Beheeyem is closer to a UB than Adhesive.

I legitimately missed Celesteela's eyes because they're on what i'd consider her hair than her face. I thought the look was supposed to be that the eyes were hidden by her metallic fringe but nah they're just there on the top of the spaceship. I actually really like that a lot.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

kartana has a star fox 64 weakpoint for a face and is also the best ultra beast

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i wonder where the "adhesive" part comes in, does he shoot glue from his head

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
gently caress.

Yesterday's trailer jostled my interest a bit more but now I'm completely sold on today's. I hope the Ultra Space locations are more than just linear paths though. Like a 0.5 new region.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Countblanc posted:

It's because he "sticks" you with his poison pins and kills you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finally

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Countblanc posted:

It's head is like a super glue applicator. Better get sticky web and have a move that ignores Psychic Terrain and instantly kills Tapu Lele.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wonder if Adhesive is supposed to look vaguely Tapu-ish. That might explain the cute imp look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jade Mage posted:

Agreed. If it didn't have a proper face, I'd be all for it, but as of now it's basically a Poison version of the generation's "little legendary" like Mew.