Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is happening to me in the Apple Watch thread too 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any confirmation/article/whitepaper or whatever about new OS installations performing background tasks for the first couple of days, which apparently reduces battery? I hear it mentioned a bunch but no one ever says anything beyond it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is happening to me in the Apple Watch thread too 🤔

Same. Lowtax is an Android fanboy confirmed lol iSheep

buglord posted:

Is there any confirmation/article/whitepaper or whatever about new OS installations performing background tasks for the first couple of days, which apparently reduces battery? I hear it mentioned a bunch but no one ever says anything beyond it.

The biggest thing I've seen it attributed to, and tend to agree with, is the reindexing of all data/information on the phone for Spotlight purposes. Every word in every email, music files, etc. Also extends to non-Spotlight related processing of files en masse, such as restoring (tens of) thousands of pictures and videos from iCloud for example.

Edit: whoops, I guess I just kinda echoed your question, but this is almost certainly why the first few days of an update result in lesser battery life. Alternatively, it could just be a false reading while the battery life estimate recalibrates itself.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Same. Lowtax is an Android fanboy confirmed lol iSheep

The biggest thing I've seen it attributed to, and tend to agree with, is the reindexing of all data/information on the phone for Spotlight purposes. Every word in every email, music files, etc. Also extends to non-Spotlight related processing of files en masse, such as restoring (tens of) thousands of pictures and videos from iCloud for example.

Edit: whoops, I guess I just kinda echoed your question, but this is almost certainly why the first few days of an update result in lesser battery life. Alternatively, it could just be a false reading while the battery life estimate recalibrates itself.

Also after a major update you tend to use the phone more for a few days as you play with the new stuff, so battery life appears to be shorter. However, it's been over two weeks since iOS 11 now and my 6S hasn't made it to the end of the day once without having to plug in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

withak posted:

Also after a major update you tend to use the phone more for a few days as you play with the new stuff, so battery life appears to be shorter. However, it's been over two weeks since iOS 11 now and my 6S hasn't made it to the end of the day once without having to plug in.

My 6s on 11 will be down to 30% or so by 2pm. Yesterday I watched my battery drop 17% while sending a picture message. Pretty loving awesome.

And it charges slow as gently caress now too.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's also done this thing on my 6S where it never charges to 100%.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

My 6s on 11 will be down to 30% or so by 2pm. Yesterday I watched my battery drop 17% while sending a picture message. Pretty loving awesome.

And it charges slow as gently caress now too.

Have you checked if your 6S is eligible for a free battery replacement?

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh there are two ghost posts that were made when page 770 hit that can't be marked as read and I keep thinking there are new posts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Ugh there are two ghost posts that were made when page 770 hit that can't be marked as read and I keep thinking there are new posts.

Maybe after 30,000 posts it’s time to lock this thread and start a new one.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Sock The Great posted:

Have you checked if your 6S is eligible for a free battery replacement?

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Already had it replaced about four months ago. It was wonderful until upgrading to 11

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My GF just updated her 5s to 11.
I would... not recommend it:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Get her a modern phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Android surpassed Apple 3 years ago and never looked back.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I would buy a CarPlay unit if only it had Waze, but maybe it's for the best. Just running the Waze app with a Proclip mount is still pretty baller. Probably a better/safer position too, in terms of where my eyes are directed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Don't blame her considering Messages.app has a lot of visual bloat since iOS 10. Can't imagine using that on a SE/5S form factor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

withak posted:

Get her a modern phone.

I actually gave her the 5s a few years back when I upgraded to the 6s+

Someone then broke it when she was on a shoot. I think it got crushed by a dolly or something. Instead of telling them she had an SE she told them it was a 5s :'(

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

Which, coincidentally, is also way beyond the last time a 5s-era handset would’ve received OS updates.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

carry on then posted:

I beg to differ. I dropped Android about two years ago and never intend to go back. The hardware is almost always a gamble, and the less ingrained I am into google’s big data brain, the better.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

enojy posted:

I beg to differ. I dropped Android about two years ago and never intend to go back. The hardware is almost always a gamble, and the less ingrained I am into google’s big data brain, the better.

this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

Maybe after 30,000 posts it’s time to lock this thread and start a new one.

no there are threads with way more than that that work just fine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just another SA database glitch.

The problem will quietly go away at some point until the next time it happens.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

enojy posted:

Yeah, this is another reason why I went back to iOS, though I still use Gmail (though I can't honestly think of the last time I used my email for anything other than online orders and payment confirmations).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thwomp posted:

I think the argument isn't to switch the port on the iPhone to USB-C but to include, as the default packed-in cable, a USB-C to Lightning cable instead of USB-A to Lightning.

I find merits to the argument (nearly all of the laptops Apple sells have exclusively USB-C ports, "courageously" moving past legacy ports) but I think it's just the inconsistency Apple displays that gets people worked more than anything.

They'll include a dongle for legacy headphone jacks but still insist on USB-A to Lightning cables which don't work for their laptops (the iMac still has USB 3.0 ports that'll accept USB-A).
They'll include support for USB Quick Charge but leave out the cables and power supplies necessary to realize those benefits.

Thing is, not even 10% of iPhone users will ever own a Mac, so MacBook compatibility is not really important.

For 99% of people USB-A is better if they ever need to connect to their computer.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah it's inconsistent with the general push to USB-C but tbh I can't remember the last time I had to plug my phone into my computer to really do anything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

I think the Android comment was a joke.

I hope that was a joke.

If anything Apple has closed the gap between Android's strengths while keeping their own. However iOS is buggier than it used to be and wtf is this skeuomorph doing back in Notes. Has that always been there?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
installing images from ipsw.me is the only reason to plug an iphone into a laptop, short of not having a charger handy

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 5, 2017

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Not sure Apple is gonna care about losing a customer who hasn't bought anything in 4 years

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If only Apple would give the iPhone SE a chip bump up to an A10x or A11x, if they did I'd get one just to replace my recently deceased 5s that I'd been using as an iPod Touch (muzak playing only.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Enderzero posted:

Not sure Apple is gonna care about losing a customer who hasn't bought anything in 4 years

🙄🙄 she got a new iPad last year

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
New screen capture thing annoys me. I dunno, whole iOS feels clunky. It's like they were like hey what's Facebook Messenger's UI like? Yeah lets do that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GoldfishStew posted:

New screen capture thing annoys me. I dunno, whole iOS feels clunky. It's like they were like hey what's Facebook Messenger's UI like? Yeah lets do that.

Out

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

If only Apple would give the iPhone SE a chip bump up to an A10x or A11x, if they did I'd get one just to replace my recently deceased 5s that I'd been using as an iPod Touch (muzak playing only.)

depending on how much it's worth to you, if you're in the US, and if 32GB is enough for that use case, prepaid SE 32GB have been available for less than $150

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

It's great. I just wish it would let me share via Messages instead of having to copy/paste it into a message. I don't know what the gently caress happened, as it works on my iPad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's great. I just wish it would let me share via Messages instead of having to copy/paste it into a message. I don't know what the gently caress happened, as it works on my iPad.

Unless I'm understanding you wrong, it does do that. Tap the thumbnail, tap the bottom left send to icon. Messages should be an option.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

🙄🙄 she got a new iPad last year
So against my instincts, I'm going to ask: what changes have traumatized your girlfriend? Other than the unsurprising slight to moderate chugginess, I didn’t notice anything terrible about ios11 on my 5S.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

lelandjs posted:

All map software uses real-time traffic reporting data from users. Google Maps/Waze takes it a step further because they're constantly monitoring Android devices location so they have data from pretty much every Android phone on the roads. Apple device location updates are a lot less frequent (unless the user is actively using Apple Maps) so as a result their traffic data isn't as comprehensive. That said, if there's other Apple Maps users on the road, you will get that traffic info, so you'll still be rerouted, it just won't be as quick or often as Google Maps/Waze users.

Apple uses Waze data for Maps.
https://gspe21-ssl.ls.apple.com/html/attribution-90.html

Although the credit is for 2012 only so it's not clear what they still use.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm thinking about buying an 8 using the apple upgrade program. I'm on AT&T but might switch to Verizon in the future. I know getting it through Apple it is already unlocked but do I get to pick the "version" I get so I can opt for the one that will work with both carriers instead of just AT&T? Apple is still making multiple versions that aren't all necessarily compatible with each other right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Unless I'm understanding you wrong, it does do that. Tap the thumbnail, tap the bottom left send to icon. Messages should be an option.

It should, but it hasn't shown up for me since iOS 11 was released. Only on my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero One posted:

Apple uses Waze data for Maps.
https://gspe21-ssl.ls.apple.com/html/attribution-90.html

Although the credit is for 2012 only so it's not clear what they still use.

Before they were bought by Google, Waze used (and contributed to) OpenStreetMap’s city and road data, which is probably why they’re credited. They’re certainly not getting traffic data from them.