Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C Everett Koop is a troll and not to be taken seriously, I would think you would have known this from your time spent in the dems are a waste thread.

Surprisingly, despite agreeing with every single leftist's goals in that thread, you remain stubbornly clung to your identity as a centrist because you think it makes you seem smart or mature or something, and it's really loving sad to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It isn't an account i'm familiar with.

He posts pretty frequently. He especially posted a lot in "Dems are a waste," and I know you did too.

quote:

and it doesn't change that others were making the same inference without actually posting it.

They really weren't. You're projecting.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

He posts pretty frequently. He especially posted a lot in "Dems are a waste," and I know you did too.

I don't remember every poster from every thread.

quote:

They really weren't. You're projecting.

Possibly, but I think you're ignoring a legitimate criticism as well. It would also help if you pointed out how the people that post that poo poo are part of the problem as well instead of pretending i'm the problem for not ignoring them. Their positions are hard to distinguish from other posters who may be posting in good faith, and calling them out on that bullshit would help.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WampaLord posted:

C Everett Koop is a troll and not to be taken seriously, I would think you would have known this from your time spent in the dems are a waste thread.

Surprisingly, despite agreeing with every single leftist's goals in that thread, you remain stubbornly clung to your identity as a centrist because you think it makes you seem smart or mature or something, and it's really loving sad to see.

I'm sorry my personal identity is a problem for you. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental based on simplistic labels?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sorry my personal identity is a problem for you. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental based on simplistic labels?

Dude, I feel bad for you, I'm not like, existentially offended by your existence as a self proclaimed proud centrist.

This isn't hate, it's frustration. Educate yourself.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well, you say that, but...

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is one reason I wear the title as a badge of honor. most of the people railing against "centrists" are pretty loving awful and I have no problem that they don't like me or my opinions. it's not like engaging in good faith means anything to them. The left is a waste.

This makes you seem like you're just kind of a petty, vindictive jerk.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"You shouldn't call yourself a centrist, even though we are going to call you one anytime you disagree with anything dumb we say"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

Well, you say that, but...

This makes you seem like you're just kind of a petty, vindictive jerk.

It's literally no different than what you are saying about me so....

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

"You shouldn't call yourself a centrist, even though we are going to call you one anytime you disagree with anything dumb we say"

More like "don't think like a centrist, because centrists are total loving idiots who will continue to embrace losing ideas in the vain pursuit of appearing to be the mature adults in the room."

E: VVV You can't tell me how to feel, lmao

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Dude, I feel bad for you, I'm not like, existentially offended by your existence as a self proclaimed proud centrist.

This isn't hate, it's frustration. Educate yourself.

Your frustration isn't wanted or considered helpful. Educate yourself.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Dumb stuff like, "Don't silence or erase POC leftists' opinions," got it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

You shouldn't identify as a moron either, just because people call you that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

This is the poo poo I'm talking about. Your straw man arguments get really old really fast.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

No, dumb stuff like "how dare you not read the article i posted, DONT YOU KNOW ITS BY A WOMAN OF COLOR"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

No, dumb stuff like "how dare you not read the article i posted, DONT YOU KNOW ITS BY A WOMAN OF COLOR"

Ah yes, how unreasonable of me to post an example of black leftists being erased, penned by a black leftist, in a discussion about black leftists being erased. Only for you to ignore those examples.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the poo poo I'm talking about. Your straw man arguments get really old really fast.

Straw man arguments, you say?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And most of these lovely people don't have a point beyond gurgling white hot rage at people that aren't pure enough for them. They'll whine and whine about being attacked, but all they do is attack others. They come up with over simplistic ideological jingoism and pretend it is policy, and when you try and get details about how they would enact it, you get attacked. it's really obvious who these people are and I really wish the mods would start probating people for this lovely gimmick. these same people will howl about free speech like the god damned nazis do when you try and shut them up.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

loving this.

The reason this poo poo gets brought up is because, and JClay just did a great job in demonstrating this, establishment dems have a vested interest in presenting themselves as having a complete and total monopoly on black thought - and when this is shown to not be the case, the "offending" black person functionally ceases to exist because that existence is inconvenient to the narrative. And that's a loving problem.

Lol where did I suggest establishment Dems have a monopoly on black thought? I've been really specific that only the large majority of black primary voters rejected Bernie. And when leftists erase their preferences by asserting that establishment Dems don't want to do anything for POC, you defend them by willfully misrepresenting the criticism of that erasure.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Lol where did I suggest establishment Dems have a monopoly on black thought? I've been really specific that only the large majority of black primary voters rejected Bernie.

73% of black voters view Sanders favorably now.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Wow that's great and has nothing to do with the erasure I'm criticizing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Wow that's great and has nothing to do with the erasure I'm criticizing.

Sure it does. You're making it seem like leftists here are ignoring the opinions and preferences of the majority of black voters. As it turns out, we're not the ones doing that.

It's actually you.:ssh:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I've never claimed that black people don't approve of Bernie. I've claimed that they overwhelmingly voted for an establishment democrat in the primary. So when people post dumb poo poo like establishment democrats don't want to do anything for POC, they are erasing the expressed preferences of these voters.

Y'all should probably stop doing that if you want to have some credibility on calling out erasure.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I've never claimed that black people don't approve of Bernie. I've claimed that they overwhelmingly voted for an establishment democrat in the primary.

Ah yes, no clear insinuations there. I'm sure the millionth "Bernie has a black voters problem" thinkpiece this year won't carry any sort of misleading insinuation either.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

when people post dumb poo poo like establishment democrats don't want to do anything for POC, they are erasing the expressed preferences of these voters.

I don't think this logically follows. I mean, clearly black people don't support establishment democrats for no reason at all, but making an incorrect claim about establishment democrats goals/desires doesn't erase their PoC supporters the way "black people don't really support Bernie" does.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think this logically follows. I mean, clearly black people don't support establishment democrats for no reason at all, but making an incorrect claim about establishment democrats goals/desires doesn't erase their PoC supporters the way "black people don't really support Bernie" does.

It does require the assumption that POC are unlikely to vote for a candidate who doesn't care about helping POC. This does not seem like a crazy assumption.

Majorian posted:

Ah yes, no clear insinuations there. I'm sure the millionth "Bernie has a black voters problem" thinkpiece this year won't carry any sort of misleading insinuation either.

He lost the large majority of their vote. That doesn't mean they hate him, it means they preferred the establishment democrat in the race.

I'm legitimately happy that Bernie has high approval ratings with black voters. I imagine if he runs again he'll do better with them. But when black primary voters overwhelmingly choose the establishment democrat, it's impossible to assert that the establishment democrats don't want to do anything for POC without erasing their clear preference.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

In fact hundreds of thousands of black voters chose Trump and did you know Ben Carson is black? Yet the "MSM" keeps claiming Trump has a black voter problem. Really makes you think :thunk:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my response to the last couple of pages

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

But when black primary voters overwhelmingly choose the establishment democrat, it's impossible to assert that the establishment democrats don't want to do anything for POC without erasing their clear preference.

Also never something I claimed.

yronic heroism posted:

In fact hundreds of thousands of black voters chose Trump and did you know Ben Carson is black? Yet the "MSM" keeps claiming Trump has a black voter problem. Really makes you think :thunk:

Bit of a difference between Trump and Sanders on issues of race, don't you think? (also a bit of a difference on where their approval ratings stand, among black voters)

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

You didn't. Ze Pollack did.

Ze Pollack posted:

the important thing is that we all come together and agree with the centrists that the absolute upper limit of what minorities can expect from the Democratic Party is *clap* more *clap* women *clap* guards *clap*

asking the democratic party to stand behind civil rights might offend suburban republicans, after all.

Nobody is forcing you to defend these things but you keep doing it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

You didn't. Ze Pollack did.

Nobody is forcing you to defend these things but you keep doing it.

I haven't defended it, though. I didn't say anything about it one way or the other until my previous post.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Democrats want to do plenty for black people, like keep them imprisoned as slaves so they can be used as a cheap source of labor and unintentionally offensive feel good stories for their political memoirs

JeffersonClay posted:

I've never claimed that black people don't approve of Bernie. I've claimed that they overwhelmingly voted for an establishment democrat in the primary. So when people post dumb poo poo like establishment democrats don't want to do anything for POC, they are erasing the expressed preferences of these voters.

This is legitimate delusional nonsense. It's not erasing anyone's preferences to point out that today's Democrats aren't going to do anything to combat racial inequality in this country regardless of who votes for who. Especially when it comes to Hillary vs Trump

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Turns out NFS is as shockingly ignorant of how Republican appointed justices promote racial inequality as he is of Trump's overseas slavery operations.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

Turns out NFS is as shockingly ignorant of how Republican appointed justices promote racial inequality as he is of Trump's overseas slavery operations.

Note that none of these are things Democrats do for people of color, just things that Republicans do worse.

Trump uses overseas labor, therefore it's ok that Hillary has slaves
Republican appointed justices promote racial inequality therefore it's fine if Democratically appointed ones do too!

i dont know why you'd try to trot out lesser of two evils (same of two evils?) as if that's actually an argument and not just admitting you're the same

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
b... b... but my vote for a sellout billionaire fellatist was for the better type of slaveowner!

Nevvy Z's ears perk up from behind the couch *constitutionally permitted slavery*

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Democratic appointed justices do combat racial inequality you dingus. So did the Obama DOJ. But lol there is no difference between parties because a neckbeard podcast said so.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Bit of a difference between Trump and Sanders on issues of race, don't you think? (also a bit of a difference on where their approval ratings stand, among black voters)

At some point we reach the point of "you see I (or my candidate) have black friends" though.

Or in its most obvious form "Check out my African American over here."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

yronic heroism posted:

So did the Obama DOJ.
I remember when the Obama DOJ was bravely combating racism by framing retarded Muslim kids.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I haven't defended it, though. I didn't say anything about it one way or the other until my previous post.

You, defending the erasure:

Majorian posted:

You're making it seem like leftists here are ignoring the opinions and preferences of the majority of black voters. As it turns out, we're not the ones doing that.

It's actually you.:ssh:

It's more than a little curious that you want to plumb the deaths of twitter to find examples of the nefarious centrists erasing POC but when erasure is happening in this very thread you attack the person calling it out, deny that it ever happened, or assert that the perpetrator is just a troll to be ignored.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I remember when the Obama DOJ was bravely combating racism by framing retarded Muslim kids.

No erasure here no siree

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

You, defending the erasure:

I get the impression that you don't really know what that word means, JC.

quote:

It's more than a little curious that you want to plumb the deaths of twitter to find examples of the nefarious centrists erasing POC but when erasure is happening in this very thread you attack the person calling it out, deny that it ever happened, or assert that the perpetrator is just a troll to be ignored.

As I said earlier, this exchange came to my attention when I heard Gray on one of the political podcasts that I like to listen to. (The Michael Brooks Show, for anyone who's interested - it's pretty funny) Also, the phrase is "plumbing the depths."

yronic heroism posted:

At some point we reach the point of "you see I (or my candidate) have black friends" though.

Or in its most obvious form "Check out my African American over here."

If you read Gray's article, you'll see that it's nothing of the sort. Silencing/erasure of leftist POCs is a trend, not just some isolated random examples of people acting like assholes on twitter. (quelle surprise!)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

No erasure here no siree

lol at equating Obama's Department of Justice to a minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JeffersonClay posted:

No erasure here no siree
I'm not offended because I don't know what this means.

JeffersonClay posted:

plumb the deaths
Would be a sick name for a metal album.

• Locked thread