Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Numberwang posted:

I don't think I can ever watch anything Dan Harmon related again. He's such a creepy, insecure weirdo.
Correct, he is a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So, when will Roman Polanski, Bill Cosby, Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, Harry Knowles and Joss Whedon team up to create a despicable sex fiend version of the Avengers?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Whedon is quite in the same level as those others, tbh. Maybe insert Jimmy Saville as the comedic foreign member.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

So, when will Roman Polanski, Bill Cosby, Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, Harry Knowles and Joss Whedon team up to create a despicable sex fiend version of the Avengers?

Seeing all those names like that is bizarre. There’s so much good they’ve done for movies and TV but they’re all terrible loving people. Well, maybe not Whedon.

I keep wondering who the next scandal is going to break about and hoping it’s not, like, Bill Murray.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't think Whedon is quite in the same level as those others, tbh. Maybe insert Jimmy Saville as the comedic foreign member.

He's dead, though. Unless they use Altered Beast-style necromancy to cause him to rise from his grave.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know who Harry Knowles is and I had to look it up to make sure Beyonce's dad wasn't a creeper.

I don't usually have a ton of problems separating art from artist. Like, I can watch Roman Polanski films and you'll never make me stop listening to the Ignition Remix.

It gets real problematic when the artist IS the art and the horrific reality directly connects with the art. So I'll probably never be able to watch the Cosby Show again.

The problem I see with folks like Harmon or Kurt Sutter is that they can't separate their art from themselves. They don't seem content being in the background and feel the need to take a front row seat with all their work, which then means that the poo poo they say and do (as well as the basic insecurity and weirdness of their desperate attempts to be praised) end up reflecting badly on their work. And then guys like that tend to do poo poo like write things in their art to specifically address critics. Like I remember some episode of Community that had some weird joke where the characters just poo poo on some Twitter poster who Harmon was feuding with. It was weird.

That and the terrible fanbases that build around them. But we already discussed how the internet has ruined the world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lelandjs posted:

Well, maybe not Whedon.

Whedon's definitely a lovely person. Maybe not rapist lovely but pretty awful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I took it to mean Whedon has done nothing good for movies and TV, which is truth

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still like Angel.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lurdiak posted:

Whedon's definitely a lovely person. Maybe not rapist lovely but pretty awful.

Yes, but he's hardly a serial rapist and paedophile like the rest on that list.

I know people here don't like the Avengers or some poo poo but...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Granted, it's Whedon's ex-wife, but if what she alleges is true about him, then he's a miserable piece of poo poo Hollywood casting couch rear end in a top hat, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm certain most males in Whedon's or Weinstein's position would have done the same. Imagine every day you got 100 girls hanging off your dick. Even the most principled will give in and exploit it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know who Harry Knowles is and I had to look it up to make sure Beyonce's dad wasn't a creeper.

I don't usually have a ton of problems separating art from artist. Like, I can watch Roman Polanski films and you'll never make me stop listening to the Ignition Remix.

It gets real problematic when the artist IS the art and the horrific reality directly connects with the art. So I'll probably never be able to watch the Cosby Show again.

The problem I see with folks like Harmon or Kurt Sutter is that they can't separate their art from themselves. They don't seem content being in the background and feel the need to take a front row seat with all their work, which then means that the poo poo they say and do (as well as the basic insecurity and weirdness of their desperate attempts to be praised) end up reflecting badly on their work. And then guys like that tend to do poo poo like write things in their art to specifically address critics. Like I remember some episode of Community that had some weird joke where the characters just poo poo on some Twitter poster who Harmon was feuding with. It was weird.

That and the terrible fanbases that build around them. But we already discussed how the internet has ruined the world.

One favourite Kurt Sutter moment was his response to people being upset one of the main characters died unceremoniously in the penultimate season:

that sure, he'll bring her back next year, with Tig skull loving her corpse or smth

Kurt Sutter is a special, hateful kind of trash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm certain most males in Whedon's or Weinstein's position would have done the same. Imagine every day you got 100 girls hanging off your dick. Even the most principled will give in and exploit it.

😬

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol I glossed over that somehow, what the gently caress Zeta

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whedon called the situation a greek tragedy. He's an rear end in a top hat but he's right too, though he's a bit self important with that statement.

Bill Burr explains it in a funnier way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9onauqdci_g

I'm not saying they are good people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The old double down

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whedon is trash for cheating on his wife multiple times over so many years, but as a woman I think it's important we don't ignore the fact that some of the girls he screwed around with surely knew he was married and hosed him anyway.

Like yeah, position of power etc and I have no doubt some of those lays were girls who may have felt pressured in some way, but surely not all of them were innocent in this tomfoolery.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why you stay single if you're in that position.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Probably best not to be too judgmental of people you don't know in positions you will never be in with details you will never actually know the truth of. I mean feel free but understand that's what you're doing. Unless they are a convicted sex offender of course they are open to all judgment

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just don't like the idea that all of these women are definitely victims of some casting couch situation, just because Whedon is a man. I'm sure it wasn't all sunshine and roses and some young actresses foolishly felt pressured/thought it would get them ahead/that this is how the business works so do it, but women can be trash too. Homewreckers shouldn't get a pass, they're assholes too.

Like, we aren't all delicate flowers being victimized by the man at every turn.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wandle Cax posted:

Probably best not to be too judgmental of people you don't know in positions you will never be in with details you will never actually know the truth of.

Also this. Whedon is an rear end for cheating, definitely, but we don't have all the details so until an actress comes forward to say it was more sinister than simple adultery maybe people shouldn't lump him in with Roman Polanski.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone is going to believe whatever story confirms their preconceived notions about someone, that's just how it is now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The sad truth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“esperterra”" post="“477095955”"]
I just don’t like the idea that all of these women are definitely victims of some casting couch situation, just because Whedon is a man. I’m sure it wasn’t all sunshine and roses and some young actresses foolishly felt pressured/thought it would get them ahead/that this is how the business works so do it, but women can be trash too. Homewreckers shouldn’t get a pass, they’re assholes too.

Like, we aren’t all delicate flowers being victimized by the man at every turn.
[/quote]

unfortunately this is 2017 where "men are trash" is taken as 100% fact by a vast majority of people, not to mention the people who state it just to get some woke credentials

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This thread's going places.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pull up!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Being a woman who doesn't agree with that mindset-- and a gay one at that!-- has been an interesting journey these past few years.

Not to generalize, of course. Not all women or gays agree with the more radical mindsets.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In other news, I started The Deuce and it is excellent.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is Get Shorty really not that bad? I liked the movie but figured the show would be poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Is Get Shorty really not that bad? I liked the movie but figured the show would be poo poo.

I liked the first two episodes but then it turns out that I just get a variation of Epix and so it wasn't airing the rest of the series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Turn left couch chat! Nooooo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

esperterra posted:

In other news, I started The Deuce and it is excellent.

It's been a good show thus far, but be prepared to become frustrated with a lot of little things (Vince's opinion/knowledge of working with the Mob vacillates wildly from episode to episode; they are going to make drat sure that you understand that Candy is Tired of the Game; what the gently caress is Abby even doing here?)

Infinitely better and more satisfying than Vinyl, at least, and doing a better job of scratching that 70's aesthetic itch.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

To also help right the the thread, thanks so much for people who convinced me to stick with The Expanse for multiple episodes. It definitely took 2-3 for me to really get hooked and I was all in when they got their own ship which people said was a good barometer of if you like it. I'm still only like halfway through season 1 but I know when I get some downtime this weekend I'll quickly burn through another set of episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So wait, did Harry Knowles do something recently? I thought people had stopped giving even a small percentage of a gently caress about him.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

So wait, did Harry Knowles do something recently? I thought people had stopped giving even a small percentage of a gently caress about him.

This got uncovered and a big portion of the AICN writers immediately said gently caress it and left the site. Also it recently came out that Harvey Weinstein is a loving turbocreep and Hollywood is in desperate need of an enema.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing is less surprising than Harry Knowles being a serial sexual harasser

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vanderdeath posted:

This got uncovered and a big portion of the AICN writers immediately said gently caress it and left the site. Also it recently came out that Harvey Weinstein is a loving turbocreep and Hollywood is in desperate need of an enema.

Never look up his blade 2 review

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bobkatt013 posted:

"A warning: BLADE 2 is an R-rated movie. This is the NC-17 Review of it. You have been warned."

Uh-oh.

"The Audience is the clit."

FOLKS...

(Hey, congrats to AICN for maintaining the same poo poo-rear end web design that I derided in a college class assignment as "painful" in 2002)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bobkatt013 posted:

That review was the first and last time I ever visited that loving cesspit of a website.

• Locked thread