Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

This looks amazing. But how does the lack of ROMs work with the multiplayer component? Does everyone need the same ROM set dropped into a directory somewhere? Or can everyone play if the host has it? The latter feels too good to be true.

It is, when it comes to its emulators there's no netplay support for online multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

I don't believe there is any intention to have an kind of guardian with the Microsoft MR. I'm not sure it would be feasible to have a guardian with inside out Visual only tracking. They could pretty easily add a system like Kintect/Iphone X to do distance tracking with IR transmitters. I believe they have that on Hololens but not on these MR headsets.

The lack of any kind of guardian and incredibly flimsy controllers is a horrible combination. I expect a rev 2 of the controllers within months that makes the stem like 5X as think.

I remember seeing a video from one of the first headset dev kits and it did have a guardian system at least that they traced out with the headset itself. Honestly though considering how hololens has already shown how it maps the whole environment, I would think theres the potential for the best guardian system yet that actually automatically conforms to not just flat walls but tables, ceiling, etc so I was surprised in the video that it still had to be traced out as flat walls like the rift and vive.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Manky posted:

I really hope DCC gets back to development on New Retro Arcade Neon at some point, seems like they dropped it around March to focus on their (kinda terrible-looking) early access shooter. A couple weeks ago I bought NRA, dove in, and hit a lot of bad, hard bugs in emulation and video playback that made me return it.

Yeah, I like NRAN for the concept more than anything else. The controls are still really dodgy on Touch controllers, and automatically leaving the game when you look away from the screen is a pain. Actual attract screen support would be nice, too.

Still wanna eat the virtual snacks in the screening room.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stick100 posted:

I don't believe there is any intention to have an kind of guardian with the Microsoft MR. I'm not sure it would be feasible to have a guardian with inside out Visual only tracking. They could pretty easily add a system like Kintect/Iphone X to do distance tracking with IR transmitters. I believe they have that on Hololens but not on these MR headsets.

It has a chaperone-esque system, it's been captured on video. They represent it as a wall of dots. Their CV mapping tech isn't perfect but it is capable of knowing it's absolute position to a fairly accurate degree.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, I like NRAN for the concept more than anything else. The controls are still really dodgy on Touch controllers, and automatically leaving the game when you look away from the screen is a pain. Actual attract screen support would be nice, too.

Still wanna eat the virtual snacks in the screening room.

It's totally wonderful and I want to love it so bad. It's so, so promising. Just not enough worked right for me to actually spend time in there.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stick100 posted:

It's what they have (remember their headset only runs funky UWP/WinStore VR builds right now), but holy hell they should've paid 100k to have gotten Space Pirate trainer or anything better than that. I'm sure their looking at Business VR more than personal VR but yeah this looks like junk.

They've been showing it off with Space Pirate Trainer, though. That's specifically one of the games that keeps getting brought up as something they have. And it does have a Guardian-esque system.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is the Pimax 4K worth the money? I have a Vive.

I was just thinking today... does the DK2 even work anymore or did they finally pull support?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

No. There is a kickstarter for Pimax’ next headsets, the 5k, 8k, and 8kx, which might be all be better, or might all be equally as worthless as the 4K. There is no current upgrade to the Vive.

To be clear by upgrade I mean moving forward in some area (resolution, FOV) without moving backwards in other areas (lovely tracking solutions, eg the upcoming MS series).

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 5, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sorry, meant the 8K.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

In that case, it remains to be seen. Their current prototype, which all the reviews you will read is based on, is out of date, they say there will be a new prototype mid-this-month which has hardware IPD adjustment and fixes the peripheral image warping (which I would say is the main concern at this point). There are other issues that have been reported that may be more subjective or might only affect glasses-wearers, to do with binocular overlap, but that also could be their lovely prototype with broken IPD adjustment.

I got in early with my kickstarter order but my finger will be hovering on the cancel button pending reviews of the next prototype.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Chadzok posted:

In that case, it remains to be seen. Their current prototype, which all the reviews you will read is based on, is out of date, they say there will be a new prototype mid-this-month which has hardware IPD adjustment and fixes the peripheral image warping (which I would say is the main concern at this point). There are other issues that have been reported that may be more subjective or might only affect glasses-wearers, to do with binocular overlap, but that also could be their lovely prototype with broken IPD adjustment.

I got in early with my kickstarter order but my finger will be hovering on the cancel button pending reviews of the next prototype.

Man, there still doesn't seem to be a perfect upgrade path. I have a PSVR, and while awesome, I've been waiting for Gen2 PCVR headsets to really jump in. The PSVR is good enough for now, but I'm itching for some 8k action...

That being said, any word, leaks, gossip at all about when the two big companies might upgrade their headsets? I know the last word was 2-3 years, but with all the competition coming out, they can't stick to that, can they?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oculus Connect 4 is next week, I'm guessing if there's gonna be a new headset to buy from them within the next year or two they'll announce it there, but I'm guessing they won't. There also won't be a new Vive anytime soon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I figure at best they would show a sneak peak of a prototype either now or at CES in January.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was just thinking today... does the DK2 even work anymore or did they finally pull support?
The DK2 still works, if you use Hydras or Move controllers you can even play recent motion controller games with the SteamVR drivers.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I'm new to the vive and have it set up working great in my home now. But the space I have it set up for near my computer is a bit too small. If I could double the cable length I could play in a much larger room without having to move my PC etc. Anyone have a good cable extending solution or is it pretty much just buying longer cables from your PC to the vive box?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

The DK2 still works, if you use Hydras or Move controllers you can even play recent motion controller games with the SteamVR drivers.

The DK2 runs but software IPD adjustment when using any drivers released after the release of Oculus Home is broken. This effectively makes it unusable for me, though mileage may vary depending on the shape of your head.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

I'm new to the vive and have it set up working great in my home now. But the space I have it set up for near my computer is a bit too small. If I could double the cable length I could play in a much larger room without having to move my PC etc. Anyone have a good cable extending solution or is it pretty much just buying longer cables from your PC to the vive box?

There's a list of tested, working extension cables here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

It's also a good idea to get a wireless keyboard and mouse for when you need access to the desktop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SwissCM posted:

The DK2 runs but software IPD adjustment when using any drivers released after the release of Oculus Home is broken. This effectively makes it unusable for me, though mileage may vary depending on the shape of your head.
I think there's a third party tool that can still adjust it. Not sure, don't really mess with that stuff

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I think there's a third party tool that can still adjust it. Not sure, don't really mess with that stuff

I tried a bunch of stuff, none of it worked or only half worked and ended up distorting the display uncomfortably. At some point they just ripped all the software IPD stuff out once they replaced it with hardware IPD adjustment for the CV1, it's unfortunate.

I managed to get it sorta working with the 0.8 drivers and SteamVR but there were bugs.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone mounted an oculus camera from a ceiling (8ft if it matters)? I'm looking for something that can support the cord from the wall to the camera, about 10ft, and would like to avoid nails or damage.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Phuzun posted:

Has anyone mounted an oculus camera from a ceiling (8ft if it matters)? I'm looking for something that can support the cord from the wall to the camera, about 10ft, and would like to avoid nails or damage.

Plastic, very light.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWA0QLS/

Can hold 3 pounds.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW1APOC/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VHB is real strong but it will strip the paint off the wall when you take it down, if you're that concerned about damage.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My aforementioned friend got his Rift today, set it up with onboard 3.0's and no issues at all. Managed to get it from unpacked to working in about an hour, and after getting his mind blown by the robot demo me and another friend got him into Onward - one of the reasons why he got it.

We had a great time but I was concerned that we were getting him in too fast by making his first game a locomotion based one but after an hour and a half he fared pretty drat well. I love listening to new users freak out about VR, but Onward is pretty tough so he didn't manage to land many kills.

We booted up Elite: Dangerous and the sheer wonder in his voice was awesome to hear, he couldn't get enough of it. I've not played it with friends before and man Frontier really pulled out all the stops in terms of atmosphere, I love how the voice chat sounds in the game with a really convincing radio filter over it that changes based on ship condition and interference from travel etc, it made me feel like a Homeworld unit and the game is a lot less lonely with a buddy.

He downloaded Google Earth before we called it a night and I really want to get his impressions of it. I think this is what being part of a cult probably feels like.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
E: I have no idea why I just quoted myself

Lemming posted:

Oculus Connect 4 is next week,

For the record I would play an Oculus Connect Four

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a function to turn off the Oculus Touch controllers so they don't drain batterypower while not in use? I can obv just pop out the batteries when not using them, but was wondering if there were a button combo or something that i missed.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Is there a function to turn off the Oculus Touch controllers so they don't drain batterypower while not in use? I can obv just pop out the batteries when not using them, but was wondering if there were a button combo or something that i missed.

Are you having problems with battery drain? I just set my headset and controllers down, close Oculus home after my play sessions and haven't had to worry about it. I use AmazonBasics AAs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Songbearer posted:

For the record I would play an Oculus Connect Four
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=282304546

Tabletop Simulator has VR support. It's a bit janky but the community has built pretty much any major board/card/tabletop game you can think of on the Steam Workshop.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm going to put Project Cars 2 in my Must Have VR list. It's a decent driving game but it's an amazing VR game. The weather, seasons and day / night push it over the edge into amazing territory.
If you like driving games then for me this is the most complete and best one there is.
They do need to fix some poo poo and hopefully they will, but as it stands right now I'd consider it a must have VR game

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

Are you having problems with battery drain? I just set my headset and controllers down, close Oculus home after my play sessions and haven't had to worry about it. I use AmazonBasics AAs.

Same. I will usually go a week or two between using the Touch controllers (Elite takes up most of my VR time) and haven't run into any problems with batteries draining.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Same. I will usually go a week or two between using the Touch controllers (Elite takes up most of my VR time) and haven't run into any problems with batteries draining.

Watch how the controllers are sitting; I've had just one drain but the other not and my guess from what they were sitting on was that one of the triggers or something was being pushed and keeping it on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A good way to see if your controllers are going to sleep properly is to open Steam VR, here is mine at the moment:

Apart from that I have 8 rechargeable batteries, 4 are always in the charger, the other 4 are in the X Box controller and Motion controllers, that works well

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I very much support the "spend :20bux: on some eneloops and stop worrying about it" approach.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I haven't had to change my touch batteries since getting them a few months ago and they still show a full charge. I don't use them much so they must be shutting off properly.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So turns out you can watch 3D blu rays on Rift/Vive (from the disk, instead of ripping/downloading them). This guide is pretty simple & not too long: https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch-3d-blu-ray-movies-on-the-htc-vive-or-oculus-rift-without-having-to-re-encode-the-movie/

Anyone with a blu ray drive tried this out?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Another pre-review of the Pimax https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/74mjj3/i_got_to_demo_the_pimax_5k_and_8k_headsets_heres/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

El Grillo posted:

So turns out you can watch 3D blu rays on Rift/Vive (from the disk, instead of ripping/downloading them). This guide is pretty simple & not too long: https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch-3d-blu-ray-movies-on-the-htc-vive-or-oculus-rift-without-having-to-re-encode-the-movie/

I followed that guide back when I got my Rift and couldn't get it working at all.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
[quote="“Enos Cabell”" post="“477113329”"]
Same. I will usually go a week or two between using the Touch controllers (Elite takes up most of my VR time) and haven’t run into any problems with batteries draining.
[/quote]

My solution was harbor freight batteries. It's totally buttons being pushed or them moving a little. But since hf gives you coupons for free batteries like weekly I'm stock piled til 2030 so whatever. I'll replace em every day. Sorry planet.

I just don't wanna put up another hook for each controller. Laziness

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My controllers are currently off. As long as you let them sit still and don't push any buttons, they turn off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Grillo posted:

That guy is wrong about there not being a turnkey VR BR 3D solution (probably because this was written in January)- it got patched into PSVR at some point. It works really well- the separate eye feeds means zero crosstalk, and movies are very bright since they're not trying to push through special glasses any more. Certainly worth trying if you have any discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't touch my Touch controllers for a couple of months once and the Eneloops I had in them were completely dead when I picked them back up, they don't even charge anymore.

Now I take the batteries out after I'm done with them.