Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I ordered a new network cable to connect my PC to the patch panel in the room where it's located. When I received it I noticed that I had mistakenly ordered a shielded cable instead of unshielded. I don't have any shielded cables aywhere else in the house. Could there be a any problems with using a shielded cable in a setup where everything else is ushielded or is it no problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arvid posted:

I ordered a new network cable to connect my PC to the patch panel in the room where it's located. When I received it I noticed that I had mistakenly ordered a shielded cable instead of unshielded. I don't have any shielded cables aywhere else in the house. Could there be a any problems with using a shielded cable in a setup where everything else is ushielded or is it no problem?

My understanding is it's not ideal, but I accidentally did the same thing and I've not experienced any issues.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Shielded is fine, no issues at all.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

THF13 posted:

If he has gigabit he should already have it provisioned for ethernet.

You should just need to login to the FIOS router, release the DHCP lease (option is buried deep in a weird submenu, just google how to do it), unplug the FIOS router and plug in the Asus one. Should have internet access immediately on the Asus router without needing to call or do anything with FIOS.
Like calandryll said though this is for if you're doing internet only.

Good to know. I haven't been on FIOS for a few years, and before they rolled out gigabit in my area.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Fil5000 posted:

My understanding is it's not ideal, but I accidentally did the same thing and I've not experienced any issues.

How is it not ideal? Are the switches expecting to lose signal and suddenly they aren't and can't deal with it?

Having a higher grade cable in the mix doesn't affect anything negatively in any way sort or form.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that using shielded cable without the rest of the components being also shielded could cause issues relating to the shield not being properly grounded. A quick google doesn't throw anything up so it's probably some stupid fever dream I had.

Edit: Oh wait, here's the thing I meant: http://www.ecmag.com/section/systems/stp-vs-utp

"One problem with STP—the one that maintains its reputation of being harder to install—is that if it is not installed and grounded properly, the shielding acts as an antenna and picks up signals. So much for the “cutting down on crosstalk” theory. Because if both ends are not grounded, you have more than crosstalk to deal with—who knows what kind of signals you could wind up receiving in our communication-driven world?"

So presumably not relevant at all if you've bought a premade cable.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 4, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I can't respect an article that talks about STP but not the variants that have varying amounts of shielding.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

[quote="“Fil5000”" post="“477043879”"]
I’m happy to be wrong on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that using shielded cable without the rest of the components being also shielded could cause issues relating to the shield not being properly grounded. A quick google doesn’t throw anything up so it’s probably some stupid fever dream I had.

Edit: Oh wait, here’s the thing I meant: http://www.ecmag.com/section/systems/stp-vs-utp

“One problem with STP—the one that maintains its reputation of being harder to install—is that if it is not installed and grounded properly, the shielding acts as an antenna and picks up signals. So much for the “cutting down on crosstalk” theory. Because if both ends are not grounded, you have more than crosstalk to deal with—who knows what kind of signals you could wind up receiving in our communication-driven world?”

So presumably not relevant at all if you’ve bought a premade cable.
[/quote]

I have lots of stp Ethernet cables. Patch and otherwise. Some are grounded some are not.

I have no cross talk issues.

YMMV, clearly this is anecdotal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fil5000 posted:

I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that using shielded cable without the rest of the components being also shielded could cause issues relating to the shield not being properly grounded. A quick google doesn't throw anything up so it's probably some stupid fever dream I had.

Edit: Oh wait, here's the thing I meant: http://www.ecmag.com/section/systems/stp-vs-utp

"One problem with STP—the one that maintains its reputation of being harder to install—is that if it is not installed and grounded properly, the shielding acts as an antenna and picks up signals. So much for the “cutting down on crosstalk” theory. Because if both ends are not grounded, you have more than crosstalk to deal with—who knows what kind of signals you could wind up receiving in our communication-driven world?"

So presumably not relevant at all if you've bought a premade cable.

I used a TRS cable to plug in my guitar to my amp once and picked up an AM cuban radio station. That was pretty neat.
The antenna effect isn't applicable here though even if the cable is grounded on one or neither end.
Even ungrounded, the shielding is protecting you from EMF so that's good if you're near a radar station or something high voltage.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Unless things have changed with FiOS you need their router if you want to use TV or phone. If you're not using any of those, there should be a ethernet jack on the ONT that you can hook up to your router. You'll have to call in and ask them to turn it on. What I did years ago, I'm no longer on FiOS, was to turn their router into a bridge which allowed TV to work properly and use my own router.

Wow thanks, so they straight loving lied to me when I asked if I could go without their self-install kit. I'm internet only.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Wow thanks, so they straight loving lied to me when I asked if I could go without their self-install kit. I'm internet only.

If you ever have trouble with your connection, FIOS support will blame it on your router if you aren't using theirs. It's generally a good idea to get it installed with their gateway, make sure everything is working properly, and then switch over to your own to save the rental fee.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SamDabbers posted:

If you ever have trouble with your connection, FIOS support will blame it on your router if you aren't using theirs. It's generally a good idea to get it installed with their gateway, make sure everything is working properly, and then switch over to your own to save the rental fee.

I already have it up with their gateway so I'll do exactly that, thanks.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I am pretty sure you need to initially activate service with an official FIOS router.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

THF13 posted:

I am pretty sure you need to initially activate service with an official FIOS router.

I just got FiOS installed and went right to ONT with the technician.

E: I had to plug in with my laptop first to activate. Then I switched it over to my PFsense box and all worked fine.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Same here, I think i remembered something about shielded cables picking up noise or something like that.
Anyway it seems that it´s not an issue and I´m using the shielded cable now with no problems, thanks for the input guys.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Don't mind me guys, I'm just here to gloat.

Serious question though: why is it such a loving pain to get these devices to Adopt and update?
FFS I wasted like an hour trying to adopt the UAP before I had to factory reset it. As soon as I did though, the Cloud key actually started working :shrug:
Adopting the big switch went off without a hitch but updating it was nearly loving impossible right up until it just decided to do it on its own. gently caress it, whatever. I'm halfway to getting my network set up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used a TRS cable to plug in my guitar to my amp once and picked up an AM cuban radio station....

I once had a Logitech 5.1 speaker set where the central channel would regularly pick up a chinese shortwave station late at night. It would happen any time the speakers where turned on, but it was not affected by the volume. It took me several nights to narrow down where it was coming from. The sound was faint enough I couldn't tell where in the room it was coming from! I eventually figured out it was the center channel speaker.

And after some surfing around the dial on a shortwave radio; I discovered it was Radio Beijing at 7.245Mhz. Jiggling the large cable connecting the center channel to the sub would make it go away, but I never was able to get it to stop.

I got annoyed enough with it I gave them to a friend. She says to this day they still occasionally pickup a random radio station at night.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, I found out today that I can get 2gig symmetrical service from Comcast. For like 90 a month. So...I'm looking at that.

Now, I dont have any network gear that
can handle more than 1 gig, so that second gig is useless. But if I am gonna pay for it, I'd like to use as much as I can.

Anyone got advice on a cable modem for this? Seems a lot of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems have much slower upload speed and I'd like get see if I could get something approaching one gig.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

emocrat posted:

So, I found out today that I can get 2gig symmetrical service from Comcast. For like 90 a month. So...I'm looking at that.

Now, I dont have any network gear that
can handle more than 1 gig, so that second gig is useless. But if I am gonna pay for it, I'd like to use as much as I can.

Anyone got advice on a cable modem for this? Seems a lot of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems have much slower upload speed and I'd like get see if I could get something approaching one gig.

that symmetrical 2gig probably is not using a cable modem

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

astral posted:

that symmetrical 2gig probably is not using a cable modem

This. There's no way Comcast offers symmetrical anything on a cable modem.
You sure it's not fiber? In which case, you're probably gonna have to rent their router for it to work.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Heh yeah that makes sense. Got a bit excited there. It was offered to my wife today while she was negotiating our bill. The rep implied all we had to do was say yes since it was available at our address now. Looking around the net seems to say no.

Regardless I think I'm gonna call em and see what they really are offering. Looking around the seems to say it would actually take a few months and maybe a grand for installation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

emocrat posted:

The rep implied all .

This is Comcast for ya.. ( well any telecom company really). Over promise, under deliver, is the telecom way!

And my sincere condolences that you have to call Comcast again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

emocrat posted:

So, I found out today that I can get 2gig symmetrical service from Comcast. For like 90 a month. So...I'm looking at that

Are you sure it's $90/mo for 2000/2000 fiber? That breaks all sorts of records, I'd think I'd have seen news articles about this or something.

So far I can't even figure out how to use my 1000/1000, like I'm trying and the only useful thing I can do now is clear out Steam games for instant re-downloading later.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Zero VGS posted:

Are you sure it's $90/mo for 2000/2000 fiber? That breaks all sorts of records, I'd think I'd have seen news articles about this or something.

So far I can't even figure out how to use my 1000/1000, like I'm trying and the only useful thing I can do now is clear out Steam games for instant re-downloading later.

Yeah, the list price is 150 a month. We were doing the bullshit dance of threaten to cancel so we can get the better price. We moved to 200/10 at the same price we had been paying for 25/5 and still less than the price they tried to move is to. But the 2gig was offered to us at 89/month. That said, probly would settled out higher with equipment charges and all.

We have a local company in my town stringing fiber and selling 1gig symmetrical for 80/month (not at my address yet though....) So it's def put pressure on. A year ago when I called to get my price reduced they basically told me to gently caress off. This year they were way more accommodating, funny coincidence that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You all were right, I simply pulled the Fios Gateway router out of the equation and plugged the ONT ethernet right into the Asus. It came back up in 5 seconds with the same WAN IP and same speeds. Time to jam the Verizon router back up their rear end and save my :10bux:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Anyone here got a Mesh system in place? Or is the Unifi ecosystem a better option e.g edgerouter x and a couple of APs

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
If you're handy enough, and it's not terribly hard to run some cat5 in your house, don't bother with mesh.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I live in a flat at the moment and my router is on its last legs, but im buying my own house early next year hopefully.

What i figured my options atm are:

Buy a mid range router (R7800 or 3200ACM)
Buy an edgerouter X SFP and an Lite AP (buy more APs when get the house)
Buy a mesh system

I work with a Unifi system at work that i manage so i know my way around them

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If it makes any difference to you, I live in a drywall-and-wood-studs 2400sqft home that is all served well by one UAP AC LITE.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

If it makes any difference to you, I live in a drywall-and-wood-studs 2400sqft home that is all served well by one UAP AC LITE.

Cool. ill probably go down that route then

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Zero VGS posted:

Update for anyone who cares about this. Just spent an hour on the phone with Comcast and through 3 different levels of support. First guy was an idiot who was like, you a;ready have that (2gig symmetrical), I assured him I did not.

Then got to customer solutions who worked with me for a bit. Price is confirmed. 2gig symmetrical for 89.95/month 1 year commitment. Told me that because I have existing services with them there are no installation fees and no activation fees. This person did not have any information available on what hardware requirements there were and did not really have information, other than monthly price, to distinguish 2 products apart. The first is 1gig down 35m up the second is 2gig symmetrical. But she did transfer me to a tech who confirmed what this thread knew: 1000/35 is cable. 2000/2000 is fiber. Also that the provide a device from juniper for fiber in Ethernet out.

So, now I have a tech coming to check my property today to confirm or disprove what their system says, that I can get 2gig fiber at my house for 90/month. Insane.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Of course what works for me may not work for you depending upon your wifi environment...

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I have a question about using the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 with CenturyLink Fiber that I'd love the thread's opinion on before I drop the coin on switching off my current router & Comcast. What is this threads experience with CLfiber-->Edgerouter PPPoE?

The Edgerouter Lite supports PPPoE, so someone could hook the ONT directly the the Edgerouter without having to rent/buy Centurylink's lovely router. There are at least 2 threads on the Ubiquiti product forums where people are experiencing degraded network speeds when they use the Edgerouter to handle PPPoE (e.g. ~150mbps instead of the expected +950mbps). Has anyone experienced this issue w/ Ubiquiti gear?

If this scenario is too specific, does anyone here use any Ubiquiti equipment for PPPoE?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

emocrat posted:

Update for anyone who cares about this. Just spent an hour on the phone with Comcast and through 3 different levels of support. First guy was an idiot who was like, you a;ready have that (2gig symmetrical), I assured him I did not.

Then got to customer solutions who worked with me for a bit. Price is confirmed. 2gig symmetrical for 89.95/month 1 year commitment. Told me that because I have existing services with them there are no installation fees and no activation fees. This person did not have any information available on what hardware requirements there were and did not really have information, other than monthly price, to distinguish 2 products apart. The first is 1gig down 35m up the second is 2gig symmetrical. But she did transfer me to a tech who confirmed what this thread knew: 1000/35 is cable. 2000/2000 is fiber. Also that the provide a device from juniper for fiber in Ethernet out.

So, now I have a tech coming to check my property today to confirm or disprove what their system says, that I can get 2gig fiber at my house for 90/month. Insane.
That is amazing that they still limit the upload to 35 on the gigabit plan, I guess they really don't want people like running home file servers. I would be highly impressed if they didn't add on that install fee once they found out that you need a fiber line ran to your house, and good luck ever reaching the correct department to find someone who can understand what a fiber line is when it breaks. Just for fun, I checked in my area, I can get 100/10 for $80 or 300/30 for $100, I wish I could get 2gig for under a hundred. :( but at least my cost of housing is significantly cheaper than yours, and best of all, I don't have to call Comcast for tech support.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Alzabo posted:

I have a question about using the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 with CenturyLink Fiber that I'd love the thread's opinion on before I drop the coin on switching off my current router & Comcast. What is this threads experience with CLfiber-->Edgerouter PPPoE?

The Edgerouter Lite supports PPPoE, so someone could hook the ONT directly the the Edgerouter without having to rent/buy Centurylink's lovely router. There are at least 2 threads on the Ubiquiti product forums where people are experiencing degraded network speeds when they use the Edgerouter to handle PPPoE (e.g. ~150mbps instead of the expected +950mbps). Has anyone experienced this issue w/ Ubiquiti gear?

If this scenario is too specific, does anyone here use any Ubiquiti equipment for PPPoE?

I've had this problem and it's very region specific. I'm in PDX and I was using an Edgerouter happily for almost a year until one weekend I suddenly started having all sorts of issues which I finally tracked back to this edgerouter HW offload bug.

Ubiquiti has finally acknowledged that it's an issue but they don't seem to be very concerned with getting it fixed. My suggestion is to use a Mikrotik RB750Gr3 or RB960PGS instead. That's what most of us who were impacted by the issue have done since we got tired of waiting for Ubiquiti to fix the issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alzabo posted:

I use an ERL and CenturyLink fiber, which gets handed off to me as ethernet. I get the full 950+mbps. You have to put the interface on a specific VLAN, and that's really the only gotcha I ran into. I think there were some issues with people not having hardware acceleration turned on for PPPoE connections, but I did not run into that. I also helped a friend set up a USG with CenturyLink fiber, works just fine.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is amazing that they still limit the upload to 35 on the gigabit plan, I guess they really don't want people like running home file servers. I would be highly impressed if they didn't add on that install fee once they found out that you need a fiber line ran to your house, and good luck ever reaching the correct department to find someone who can understand what a fiber line is when it breaks. Just for fun, I checked in my area, I can get 100/10 for $80 or 300/30 for $100, I wish I could get 2gig for under a hundred. :( but at least my cost of housing is significantly cheaper than yours, and best of all, I don't have to call Comcast for tech support.

Honestly I am expecting them to tell me they cant do fiber anyway for a variety of reasons, however the tech I talked to about fiber was from the business services side. He told me that they service the fiber lines even for residential, but not the gigabit cable lines, at it leads to a lot of internal confusion. For the record the 89/month price seems to be an un-advertised offer for existing customers. If I go to the website and plug in my address as a new customer they say its 150/month with about a thousand in install costs. And yeah, I wish I didn't have to call Comcast.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, another question:

How in the hell do I get Wake-On-LAN to work? I have an Asus Z270 motherboard, I went into device manager and enabled "allow this device to wake computer" for the NIC, and I went in to my BIOS and added the PC's MAC address as a Wake-On-LAN device. Then I put my phone on the network and used the "send Wake-On-LAN" in the Moonlight app to the target PC, but nothing. It doesn't wake it from sleep nor does it power it on when shut down.

I've been doing IT for over a decade now and I don't think I've ever actually seen WOL functioning.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, another question:

How in the hell do I get Wake-On-LAN to work? I have an Asus Z270 motherboard, I went into device manager and enabled "allow this device to wake computer" for the NIC, and I went in to my BIOS and added the PC's MAC address as a Wake-On-LAN device. Then I put my phone on the network and used the "send Wake-On-LAN" in the Moonlight app to the target PC, but nothing. It doesn't wake it from sleep nor does it power it on when shut down.

I've been doing IT for over a decade now and I don't think I've ever actually seen WOL functioning.

re: the shut down part, wikipedia says: "The ability to wake from a hybrid shutdown state (S4) or a fully powered off state (S5) is unsupported in Windows 8 and above [...] WOL from a sleep state (S3) or non-hybrid hibernation state (S4) is supported"

I'm a little curious what you mean here though:

quote:

I went in to my BIOS and added the PC's MAC address as a Wake-On-LAN device

e: obligatory 'make sure you have Fast Startup disabled', and it probably isn't a bad idea to test disabling hybrid sleep if you had that enabled too

astral fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
What do you guys recommend in terms of a small box to run pfsense or vyos? It looks like the PC Engines APU2 or one of the Qotom boxes from AliExpress is probably my best bet. Or is there something better?

My plan is to reuse my current router (Archer C7) as a WAP.