Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Somehow the thing I miss most in 57 is Googlebar Lite. I didn't realize how much I used the dedicated search-this-site, search-images and highlight-on-page buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Tampermonkey 4.5.5564:
Fix ZIP and file export at Windows machines

Ah-ha! So it wasn't just mu machine then!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Oh man, another Firefox update and more messed up font rendering. The fix last time was mucking around with the harware acceleration setting, but it looks like that option is removed in 57?

Firefox

Chrome

Little less obvious here, but look at the 'M' in Mark. Looks a bit more jagged in Firefox to me

Firefox

Chrome

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 5, 2017

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Search under performance or hardware, uncheck use recommended settings, uncheck hardware accel.

There are also a bunch of type rendering options you can tweak, but you'll need to do some googling about them since I don't know off the top of my head what each one does.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I moved my Greasemonkey scripts over to Tampermonkey so that it'll run fine on Firefox 57 since GM wants a whole rewrite which might not be ready. All of them work fine, except that the ones that open new tabs now always open each tab immediately next to the first tab, rather than opening at the end of the tab bar like tabs opened manually do, as I'd changed FireFox to do.

What do I need to change to make Tampermonkey versions of scripts respect that setting?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

nexus6 posted:

Oh man, another Firefox update and more messed up font rendering. The fix last time was mucking around with the harware acceleration setting, but it looks like that option is removed in 57?

Making the entire Web software-rendered is a good way to ruin the modern Web. Find a new browser if the font rendering bothers you that bad.

Or - and this is some real out-on-a-limb trash - you could bring it up as feedback to Mozilla.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 6, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

All those screenshots look fuzzy as gently caress to me, and indeed, once I unblock access to fonts.gstatic.com in uBlock, so does the text on my screen.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

Making the entire Web software-rendered is a good way to ruin the modern Web. Find a new browser if the font rendering bothers you that bad.

Or - and this is some real out-on-a-limb trash - you could bring it up as feedback to Mozilla.

Did you mean to quote someone else?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

poo poo, yeah I did, let me fix that.

But I still hold the sentiment that, even if it makes things look nice for the moment, crippling your browser isn't even a medium-term fix.

Flipperwaldt posted:

All those screenshots look fuzzy as gently caress to me, and indeed, once I unblock access to fonts.gstatic.com in uBlock, so does the text on my screen.

And to me standard body text in a Blink-based renderer looks uncomfortably hairline even with properly-calibrated displays and ClearType.

Might be because with the rise of high-density laptop displays and a lot of people abandoning general-purpose computers entirely, 100% scaling - and thanks to consumers and business IT, properly configured computer terminals - have become edge cases.

Don't know what to tell you.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Speaking of fonts! I'm not on 57 yet but this thing I posted about 6 months and 4 versions ago:

Klyith posted:

Meanwhile, on a different issue: I've been noticing that multithreading is producing small but ugly errors with text rendering -- loving up the antialiasing just a tiny bit with darker pixels. It's pretty random; even on the same line of text some letters will be grunged and some will be clean, so it's not like the old issues with scrolling they used to have a few years ago.

Anything that forces a redraw like switching tabs fixes it. Also, selecting the text and then deselecting cleans it up, as with this before and after:

Now, I do have e10s force-enabled (due to addons) so I'm not totally cheesed about it. I'll probably go back to disabled for the interim. But I'm kinda suspicious that this is a pure e10s problem, and nothing to do with the addons.
is totally still happening, and has nothing to do with anything other than the intersection of e10s and rendering. At one point I spent some time on bugzilla tracking it down. You have to go through a twisty maze of bugs that all get closed as dupes, resolved, or wontfix before you come to the actual bug which is full of guys like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ we're never gonna fix that one, who cares move on to new & exciting things!

dont be mean to me posted:

And to me standard body text in a Blink-based renderer looks uncomfortably hairline even with properly-calibrated displays and ClearType.

Might be because with the rise of high-density laptop displays and a lot of people abandoning general-purpose computers entirely, 100% scaling - and thanks to consumers and business IT, properly configured computer terminals - have become edge cases.
This is why windows has a tuner for cleartype to adjust between sharper, thinner, bolder, or fatter variations in font shading. Use that poo poo or at least take cues from the user's settings so that you can look good whatever display someone is using.

Or, and this might be another edge case, whatever caliber of eyes someone has. Not everyone has great vision, and what looks hairline if a screenshot might look sharp to someone with glasses and 150% scaling settings.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Lol, 1% of German Firefox user will be getting an installer with a bundled click-tracking addon. Do they actually want to actively alienate their traditionally strong and privacy minded user base in Germany?

quote:

Next week, we will be launching our most significant test so far. Less than one percent of users in Germany installing Firefox from our main download page will receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz recommendations enabled out of the box.

This experiment also includes the data collection tool Cliqz uses to build its recommendation engine. Users who receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz will have their browsing activity sent to Cliqz servers, including the URLs of pages they visit. Cliqz uses several techniques to attempt to remove sensitive information from this browsing data before it is sent from Firefox. Cliqz does not build browsing profiles for individual users and discards the user’s IP address once the data is collected. Cliqz’s code is available for public review and a description of these techniques can be found here.
https://blog.mozilla.org/press-uk/2017/10/06/testing-cliqz-in-firefox/

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 7, 2017

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Grim Up North posted:

Lol, 1% of German Firefox user will be getting an installer with a bundled click-tracking addon. Do they actually want to actively alienate their traditionally strong and privacy minded user base in Germany?

Apparently Cliqz bought ghostery, which I didnt know until I just started searching about Cliqz.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/15/private-search-browser-cliqz-buys-ghostery-ad-tracker-tool/

quote:

Mozilla-backed Cliqz, a German startup building an anti-tracking browser with a built-in private search feature powered by aggregated usage of its products, is acquiring the consumer assets of ad-tracker privacy tool and browser extension Ghostery. Terms of the all-cash deal have not been disclosed.

“By combining algorithmic and blocklist anti-tracking approaches, Cliqz and Ghostery will together further raise the benchmark in privacy protection,” Cliqz writes in a press release announcing the move.

Cliqz is acquiring Ghostery’s anti-tracking browser extensions and mobile apps, meaning it will be gaining the latter’s 10 million active users — hoping that will help spur international growth.

It’s not acquiring the company outright. Parent company Ghostery Inc, which is reverting to its prior name Evidon, will continue in what is described as an “enterprise-focused digital governance businesses” — focused on privacy compliance, including for ad industry groups wanting to adhere to the self-regulatory AdChoices program, but also for tracking compliance with compulsory privacy rules.

I dont know what to think yet.

quote:

And while it’s been mostly focused on German-speaking markets to date, it’s actively stepping up efforts to grow beyond that — recently launching a beta version of its browser in France, and with designs on a US launch in the near future (it says it’s also added beta support for US-English for its quick-search feature).

Cliqz says it’s hoping ownership of Ghostery’s assets will help it accelerate its products into other markets. “We plan to launch in the US and some Western European markets soon,” says a spokesman. “The Ghostery acquisition will be a big help. Ghostery users around the world can opt-in to contribute anonymous statistical data via our Human Web technology.

“We will use this data to build web indexes for other countries/languages, so that our core product Cliqz quick-search will be able to support other markets quickly.”

Of US-English quick-search results, he adds: “The quality of the US search results will be satisfying at the start and with the help of Human Web quickly will improve quickly to reach the same level as in German.”

He also confirmed Ghostery’s former parent will not have direct access to Ghostery generated user data, going forward. “Ghostery users will be able to contribute data voluntarily and strictly anonymously to Cliqz,” he said, noting that the data collection process in Ghostery products will be changed to Cliqz’s Human Web technology (i.e. its aggregated, anonymized data collection process).

“Human Web is built on privacy-by-design-principles. It rules out that any PII [personally identifiable information] is stored on Cliqz’s or Ghostery’s servers,” he adds. “Cliqz will provide Evidon with a subset of the data that enables Evidon to continue their B2B services.

“Basically, Evidon will only get aggregated data about trackers (a “map of trackers“). Which trackers are on a website? How prevalent is the tracker in the web? No information about users whatsoever. Cliqz and Ghostery will never share any data about individual users with anyone. (Even if we wanted, we wouldn’t be able to, as we don’t store any.)”

Cliqz has previously discussed its plans to monetize this pro-privacy approach and usage of its free, anti-tracking browser and search products via a companion Cliqz Offers app — that will be designed to broadcast all offers to all users so Cliqz does not need to track individuals’ browsing habits to power ad targeting. Rather tracking of browsing habits occurs locally, on a user’s device, allowing for the tech to display pertinent offers to users without Cliqz itself needing to be party to its users’ browsing behavior.

The Cliqz Offers app has not launched yet, but the spokesman noted it is now working with its first pilot customers to launch their first campaigns — saying a soft launch is coming soon and the official launch is planned for later this year.

As well as hoping the acquisition of the Ghostery consumer business will boost Cliqz global user-base, Cliqz says it’s negotiating with other potential partners, naming entities such as anti-virus companies and mobile carriers as those it’s seeking to work with to try to raise its profile.

The marketing blurbs sound so benign. I assume it will be intrusive and terrible like all spy-based marketing horseshit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Grim Up North posted:

What the gently caress? How is this okay at all? I'm completely blown away by how nonchalant they are about it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grim Up North posted:

I wonder if they understand what 'surprises' are, because I'm pretty sure that - blog post or no - finding that in a fresh Firefox download is going to be a whopper. That one pretty much has (had? :sigh:) to be opt-in or :rip:.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Maybe the google sleeper agents were finally told to poison the final dinner.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Apparently Cliqz bought ghostery, which I didnt know until I just started searching about Cliqz.

The marketing blurbs sound so benign. I assume it will be intrusive and terrible like all spy-based marketing horseshit.

my favorite is the juxtaposition of

quote:

Mozilla-backed Cliqz, a German startup building an anti-tracking browser

and

quote:

Users who receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz will have their browsing activity sent to Cliqz servers, including the URLs of pages they visit.

wow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FRINGE posted:

Looking more into the Cliqz thing, it does seem fairly benign. They're collecting data to make a general search engine, and I think (?) that with EU data collection laws, if you say it's anonymized you better be sticking to that. I dunno, maybe their game plan is to have the 2nd best search engine and hope that google gets banned in the EU?

Certainly that type of data collection is no worse than what google is doing all the time. But there's reasons I haven't switched from FF to chrome. And while that list is getting shorter all the time, the best remaining reason is that google sometimes creeps me out. I got an android phone a year ago and it's been alternately unpleasant and annoying to see them use more data points for "responsive suggestions".

unpleasant because something about the 3rd device let them realize my desktop and my laptop are used by the same person, so I started seeing poo poo follow me from one to the other. annoying because most of the time the poo poo they focus on is so wrong. I swear, follow one linked video from the star citizen thread and suddenly google thinks you really loving love star citizen.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Installing literal spyware on an opt-out basis for European users at all sure is a way to drive usage figures in a direction.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

Installing literal spyware on an opt-out basis for European users at all sure is a way to drive usage figures in a direction.
Well the current team probably wants to stick with what theyre good at. losing users

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Mozilla: adds do not track headers by default
Also Mozilla: adds cliqz browser tracking addon to brwoser

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Well, I had to write an AHK script and my own webextension to replicate what I use Tab Mix Plus for, but now that I have, I'm fully ready for v57. I've got tree style tabs, mouse wheel scrolling to change tabs, double clicking to reload tabs. My workflow won't need any adjusting.

Hopefully the API improves in the next few months and TMP can get ported, but having tried to write an incredibly simple webextension (always open address bar typed URLs in a new tab) I totally get why the author isn't even bothering yet. I ended up having to recreate this functionality in an AHK script that sends Alt+Enter if I press Enter while the mouse cursor is over the address bar. A lovely hack, but it works.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ublock origin seems to have stopped blocking twitch ads for a few weeks now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is the Firefox SALR extension still being developed? The new forums update has screwed up how it renders the quick quote/post/reply buttons and search thread box.

I'd ask in the Firefox SALR thread but it's in the archives now.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

axeil posted:

Is the Firefox SALR extension still being developed? The new forums update has screwed up how it renders the quick quote/post/reply buttons and search thread box.

It's not getting changed because SA is supposed to move to Xenforo Soon™ and that'd need a rewrite

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

supposed to move to Xenforo Soon™

I wouldn't bet a dollar on that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Is the Chrome version of SALR any good? Shouldn't it (in theory, lol) be easy to port that to Firefox?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Plus SALR won't work in Firefox 57. Been without SALR for a week now. Been hard.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

I looked into this more closely since just adding vertical-align to the buttons we insert made it still be a pixel off, and it appears lowtax added vertical-aligns to both the anchors and the images in the anchors which somehow bumps their images about a pixel off of where ours would be when I just vertical-align those. It looks like the easiest solution will be removing a few of the vertical-aligns. I'll see what I can do later today.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

astral posted:

I looked into this more closely since just adding vertical-align to the buttons we insert made it still be a pixel off, and it appears lowtax added vertical-aligns to both the anchors and the images in the anchors which somehow bumps their images about a pixel off of where ours would be when I just vertical-align those. It looks like the easiest solution will be removing a few of the vertical-aligns. I'll see what I can do later today.

Awesome! Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Awesome! Thanks!

Feel free to test this dev build of SALR that fixes vertical alignment on the quick buttons:

Download and drag+drop:
https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salastread_v4.1.3-dev.0_signed.xpi

Top bar still needs work though.

e: 4.1.3 is out for everyone: https://github.com/astral-sa/salr/releases/download/4.1.3/salastread_v4.1.3_signed.xpi

astral fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 10, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

astral posted:

Feel free to test this dev build of SALR that fixes vertical alignment on the quick buttons:

Download and drag+drop:
https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salastread_v4.1.3-dev.0_signed.xpi

Top bar still needs work though.

This certainly has fixed things a lot! Is there a way to have a trigger to disable "show/hide avatar" or "add user note" any where or can it be put in? I haven't used those bits in ages but sometimes the forums css still pushes to the right hand side of the post buttons and sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather just hide them off posts if possible to not have to deal with it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

This certainly has fixed things a lot! Is there a way to have a trigger to disable "show/hide avatar" or "add user note" any where or can it be put in? I haven't used those bits in ages but sometimes the forums css still pushes to the right hand side of the post buttons and sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather just hide them off posts if possible to not have to deal with it.

The setup is each of them is tied to a respective preference (highlight usernames is true / hide all custom titles is false).

If you want the feature but you don't want to be able to interact with it from the forum page, my best advice is to make a stylish style or two that would hide the last one or two list items there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

Add coloring/note is probably the one thing I use the most. There are simply too many people here with changing names and avatars to remember everyone.

I colour code people who catch my eye ranging from gold for good all the way to a deep brown for those who aren't*. Being able to add a bunch of text to give context is also great.

* utterly worthless people get straight #000000 black so I don't even have to see their stupidity if someone quotes them - something which is lacking in the vanilla ignore function - but which also lets me highlight their posts and read them if necessary without reloading the page.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Add coloring/note is probably the one thing I use the most. There are simply too many people here with changing names and avatars to remember everyone.

I colour code people who catch my eye ranging from gold for good all the way to a deep brown for those who aren't*. Being able to add a bunch of text to give context is also great.

* utterly worthless people get straight #000000 black so I don't even have to see their stupidity if someone quotes them - something which is lacking in the vanilla ignore function - but which also lets me highlight their posts and read them if necessary without reloading the page.

I don't think my eyes could handle so many different background colors but I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I pushed out SALR v4.1.3 for everyone; Firefox should update it automatically but you can force it in the add-ons page if you want.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is nothing working on 57 a known issue? about all it does it add in the last read buttons.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
astral is there anything for 57? even if it's a port from chrome. I miss SALR a lot since hitting firefox 57.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nothing for 57 currently. Sorry to hear they broke it in more recent 57+ builds; in an earlier 57 nightly I had it was working fine. :(

Looks like on 58 (and probably later 57 releases) it's choking on setting up the frame script loader, which kills 90% of the addon.

As I mentioned before I had issues with updating Firefox to 55 and nothing I did would fix it (and I'm not going to erase my profile and start fresh, hoping they fix whatever bug I ran into, because of the time I've invested into setting custom site permissions) so I went back to 52.

Re: porting to webext:

astral posted:

It's really difficult to justify the time and effort required when the forums are going to be moving to XenForo 2.0 or whatever. Tentatively my advice is going to be "just use the ESR until then". If that situation changes, we'll see.

Port of Chrome SALR might be possible, though there are some fundamental changes how content scripts load in Firefox; I still need to talk to the salr-chrome guys about it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

astral posted:

Re: porting to webext:

Port of Chrome SALR might be possible, though there are some fundamental changes how content scripts load in Firefox; I still need to talk to the salr-chrome guys about it.

https://github.com/ddwo/salr-chrome

+ thread coloring works
+ quick reply works

- no keyboard nav, and probably a lot more broke
- twitter embeds was stalling for a page and then started working again, might be my fault
- you're right , something with loading scripts, jquery doesn't get loaded. something with the content security policy, at least on the options page

support is limited to how far you can throw me, but if you want to use it download the source, go to about :debugging in your browser (might need firefox dev. edition?), "load temporary add-on" and open manifest.json

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sheesh, so there's a ways to go either route it looks like.

Sidenote: Second browser this has happened to me (once on an early 57 beta dev edition on windows, once on an old 55 install on linux) but I actually had to relaunch Firefox after updating to 4.1.3 for it to fully apply. I didn't change anything that touched loading so :iiam:

e: Did you use the (semi-?) official tool to port it, or did you do it manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

astral posted:

e: Did you use the (semi-?) official tool to port it, or did you do it manually?

https://www.extensiontest.com/ will go through and list api calls that are changed from chrome to ff, then I loaded the extension and fixed the problems in manifest.json that it complained about (options page syntax different, "key" in chrome is unused). The api calls were 95% find and replace, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tool to automate it, although the first URL was what mozilla recommends in the first google result.