Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

What are those black squigglies that he is force channelling out of her nether regions? Some type of script? Is this how The Vagina Monologues was written?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I hope this will fit on the 8 gig Switch carts. :ohdear:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

A while back, I bashed RetroArch for its clunky interface and usability issues, and I've been a staunch BizHawk defender... until now. I'll explain.

I really loving hate input lag. There's always going to be a little bit of it in PC/LCD retrogaming, but Vsync absolutely needs to be off, as it adds a ton. I learned a few years back that BizHawk lacks a true fullscreen mode. I have no idea why, but I googled it and apparently the devs are adamant about never adding one. This wasn't an issue on my old desktop, which ran Windows 7. You can select the Basic theme and it disabled Aero's automatic vsync/triple buffering on windows. You cannot do this on Windows 10, the Desktop Window Manager does this now and is always forced on. So while BizHawk is still feature-rich and nice and easy to use, it is laggy as gently caress on Win8+ and there's nothing you can do about it. Turns once enjoyable games into LJN shoestring garbage.

Using RetroArch does have a learning curve, but there are three really important things that if I had known at the start, would've made the process a whole lot easier:

- Use your controller to navigate the UI. It was actually designed specifically for this, and mouse/kb support is crap. It auto-detects and configures Xinput devices. A is confirm, B is cancel, L/R are page up/down, LB/RB scrolls through your rom list a letter at a time. The home key pauses emulation and returns you to the UI (also crashes the program sometimes, they still have work to do).
- Turn "Hard GPU Sync" on, and never turn it off. Via some kind of computing wizardry, this gives you the smoothness of Vsync but without any perceptible input lag. I'm serious, with it enabled I can't tell the difference between vysnc on or off. This is a RetroArch-exclusive feature and it's worth screwing around the UI for. Apparently it has some CPU overhead, but even with BSNES my i5-7600k handles it fine.
- Stick to their OpenGL driver. The XMB (default) UI is the only one that provides descriptions of options (which are really important for beginners), but for whatever reason, is not compatible with D3D. The other graphics drivers they had completely hardlocked my PC. If you want to tinker around with filters/shaders (they have some neat CRT ones), you'll use the GLSL ones.

There are still some things I don't like - having to choose system cores, the weird "quick menu" thing during games, some options are only available once you load both core and game ("content"). Last time I tried it, the library scanning function slow as hell and didn't detect everything.

And finally, I learned recently that there are full No-Intro romsets on archive.org. The D/L speeds can be slow at times, and you have to make an account to access them, but it beats trying to leech dead torrents. :filez:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Light Gun Man posted:

This is probably because there's a lot of words used in other languages as slangy insults that reference materials pretty much just default to "bastard" with. I'm sure this problem was a lot worse in the 90s/2000s too. Like try to translate anything with slang with google translate and you'll probably get it as the suggestion still. Some kind of catch-all "that dude I am insulting" response, I guess. Presumably final fantasy weebs just went "well that's what my dictionary says, must be accurate and remain faithful to the text!!" and slapped it in there.

There were similar issues that led to translations adding in lots of shits and fucks or whatever because of misunderstanding Japanese swearing and emphasis etc that I'm probably even less qualified to post about.

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger."

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

univbee posted:

I hope this will fit on the 8 gig Switch carts. :ohdear:

Looks cool, but it's a bummer you've gotta buy it directly from Vblank. Would grab it with GCU from Best Buy.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Ofecks posted:

A while back, I bashed RetroArch for its clunky interface and usability issues, and I've been a staunch BizHawk defender... until now. I'll explain.

I really loving hate input lag. There's always going to be a little bit of it in PC/LCD retrogaming, but Vsync absolutely needs to be off, as it adds a ton. I learned a few years back that BizHawk lacks a true fullscreen mode. I have no idea why, but I googled it and apparently the devs are adamant about never adding one. This wasn't an issue on my old desktop, which ran Windows 7. You can select the Basic theme and it disabled Aero's automatic vsync/triple buffering on windows. You cannot do this on Windows 10, the Desktop Window Manager does this now and is always forced on. So while BizHawk is still feature-rich and nice and easy to use, it is laggy as gently caress on Win8+ and there's nothing you can do about it. Turns once enjoyable games into LJN shoestring garbage.

Using RetroArch does have a learning curve, but there are three really important things that if I had known at the start, would've made the process a whole lot easier:

- Use your controller to navigate the UI. It was actually designed specifically for this, and mouse/kb support is crap. It auto-detects and configures Xinput devices. A is confirm, B is cancel, L/R are page up/down, LB/RB scrolls through your rom list a letter at a time. The home key pauses emulation and returns you to the UI (also crashes the program sometimes, they still have work to do).
- Turn "Hard GPU Sync" on, and never turn it off. Via some kind of computing wizardry, this gives you the smoothness of Vsync but without any perceptible input lag. I'm serious, with it enabled I can't tell the difference between vysnc on or off. This is a RetroArch-exclusive feature and it's worth screwing around the UI for. Apparently it has some CPU overhead, but even with BSNES my i5-7600k handles it fine.
- Stick to their OpenGL driver. The XMB (default) UI is the only one that provides descriptions of options (which are really important for beginners), but for whatever reason, is not compatible with D3D. The other graphics drivers they had completely hardlocked my PC. If you want to tinker around with filters/shaders (they have some neat CRT ones), you'll use the GLSL ones.

There are still some things I don't like - having to choose system cores, the weird "quick menu" thing during games, some options are only available once you load both core and game ("content"). Last time I tried it, the library scanning function slow as hell and didn't detect everything.

And finally, I learned recently that there are full No-Intro romsets on archive.org. The D/L speeds can be slow at times, and you have to make an account to access them, but it beats trying to leech dead torrents. :filez:

Dude, if you're worried about input lag, I assume you are somewhat concerned with accuracy, in which case BSNES or MAME is the way to go, RetroArch loving sucks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's a BSNES core for RetroArch, so I don't really see why this is an either-or proposition.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
an old BSNES core for RetroArch because Higan is a thing that gets updated, be clear if you wanna try to make the point

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I believe RetroArch's bSNES core and Bizhawk's are basically the same, so it really depends on your willingness to deal with UIs that violate the Geneva Convention.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you like the Netflix show Stranger Things, or you like top down 16-bit adventure games (and who in this thread doesn't like at least one of those things), then you owe it to yourself to get the Stranger Things game on ios and/or android.

Best part?

Lots of content, zero in app purchases or microtransactions. I've been playing a bit today and it's actually really fun, controls well, has lots of characters with different abilities, and doesn't hit you over the head with "HEY REMEMBER THAT SHOW ON NETFLIX", although there are references you won't get if you haven't watched the show, but nothing I've seen that would hinder your understanding of the game. It has awesome period correct synth music (including the main theme song rendered in glorious snes/genesis style) and is clearly made by a team that likes 16 bit gaming.

Get it from the iOS or android App Store for free!!

Even the icon is an nes cart (thanks for the compression imgur)

https://www.avclub.com/netflix-released-a-free-stranger-things-mobile-game-an-1819145938

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 5, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

XtraSmiley posted:

Dude, if you're worried about input lag, I assume you are somewhat concerned with accuracy, in which case BSNES or MAME is the way to go, RetroArch loving sucks.

But it doesn't, that was the point of my post. The good cores are very accurate, and there's very little input lag thanks to their Hard GPU Sync feature.

Again, the UI is a lot easier to navigate using a controller. I gave it another chance and am now pleased with it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the Stranger Things game on ios and/or android.

oh my god the what

I am all over this, thank you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Well, this is a different take on doing things retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcYW9dTAUw

I'm surprised they could record the screen like that directly without getting some massive flickering in the video.

I'm in the middle of an assembly course at the moment and I really think making a 2600 game sounds like a good idea. I suspect the exhaustion may be getting to me...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Code Jockey”" post="“477091090”"]
oh my god the what

I am all over this, thank you!
[/quote]

It's really good, retro and free, I figured this thread would love it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
BSNES hasn't really had major accuracy/compatibility updates in a long time so even if Retroarch's version is kinda old it's still more than accurate enough.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

I'm surprised they could record the screen like that directly without getting some massive flickering in the video.

All you need is a decent video camera, they'll have the ability to tweak exposures quite well to ensure things sync up properly.

We're just all used to the average person who wants to record a TV screen directly using the cheapest phone or camera they can get...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fishmech posted:

All you need is a decent video camera, they'll have the ability to tweak exposures quite well to ensure things sync up properly.

We're just all used to the average person who wants to record a TV screen directly using the cheapest phone or camera they can get...

...on auto settings. That's the key.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God, Sim City 3000 has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVYs-VB55U

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
God the loving hours and hours I lost in fifth grade playing SimCity 3000 Unlimited. Thank you Scholastic Book Fair

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger."

I was thinking of that while I wrote that post, yes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That translation is still better than the official GBA babelfish translation.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That translation is still better than the official GBA babelfish translation.

You mean you don't know about the future battle of Kangaroo in Norse mythology?

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
I'm loving around on aliexpress because I'm about to buy one of these and figured I'd see if there was anything else worth throwing into my order, and I had to share the glory of this with you all.

As an aside if you're interested in why I'm ordering what appears to be a lovely bootleg multicart, awful label aside, it's apparently a pretty good one. Here's a decent review/teardown video about it, and they also have an NES version for about twice the cost, because there's a pin coverter inside the cart. Oh, and its something like 153 in 1, not 100.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Stoomie posted:

I'm loving around on aliexpress because I'm about to buy one of these and figured I'd see if there was anything else worth throwing into my order, and I had to share the glory of this with you all.

As an aside if you're interested in why I'm ordering what appears to be a lovely bootleg multicart, awful label aside, it's apparently a pretty good one. Here's a decent review/teardown video about it, and they also have an NES version for about twice the cost, because there's a pin coverter inside the cart. Oh, and its something like 153 in 1, not 100.

don't forget to buy Pokemon Cock Edition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I think you need this to go with it.

I'm beginning to suspect Aliexpress sellers have caught onto to people buying these things specifically for the insane titles.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Ofecks posted:

But it doesn't, that was the point of my post. The good cores are very accurate, and there's very little input lag thanks to their Hard GPU Sync feature.

Again, the UI is a lot easier to navigate using a controller. I gave it another chance and am now pleased with it.

Oh, my bad. My usage of RA was way old, now I see it's more of just a front end to actual, good emulators. Back in the day it didn't play the well with the good emulators, like MAME/BSNES. Anyway, whatever floats your boat, I just thought you'd be after close to perfect emulation since you were worried about input lag.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I think you need this to go with it.

I'm beginning to suspect Aliexpress sellers have caught onto to people buying these things specifically for the insane titles.

Not just the insane titles. They have games that no one was meant to have.

Which 4 of you bought that?

Why am I tempted to organize an Aliexpress Repro Secret Santa?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I decided to start a new game in the much-reviled Sword of Mana to see if it was worse than I remembered and my affection for it was misplaced.

Here's what's wrong with it:

1. The partner AI is dumb as gently caress. Setting them to use magic at all results in them blowing through their MP attacking enemies indiscriminately, so under computer control they are useless for anything other than short-range attacks. But you'd better set them to stay behind, because of the meatballs metaballs that can only be destroyed by a specific weapon. This means nothing to the AI partner, who wants nothing more than to commit suicide by repeatedly running into them. Switching control to the partner inflicts your main character with the same stupid AI, so this is always a risk. It's especially bad if you need to switch to your partner to use healing magic, as your main character will just randomly wander outside the range of the spell as you cast it.

2. There's a character class system that is not explained in-game at all. When you distribute stats at level up, it seems like a good idea go with Monk at first because it has the biggest attack power gains. But put 5 levels into Monk and suddenly you are a Grappler, all your future class changes will be an improved version of that, and you can never be anything else. Didn't want to specialize in knuckles, because it's the shortest-ranged weapon in the game, and you won't even have it for another three hours? Too bad! I've never had the manual, so I don't know if classes are explained in there, but this is a case of an actually good system made frustrating because you can't understand it, or even know it exists, without consulting a guide. I ended up restarting because of this, and because I wanted to see the story from the other character's perspective.

3. Poorly thought-out side quests. Upon arriving in the second town, if you go to the inn, there's a knight who asks you to find him a Glittering Sword (a rare drop from an enemy outside of town, and I'm not sure if it drops until you've picked up the quest). If you're playing as the Heroine, and proceed into the cathedral for the very next story event, you've completely missed your opportunity to complete this quest, and missed out on an entire game-spanning quest chain. I mean, I've played the Suikoden series, and I'm very used to unfair quests with small windows of opportunity, but this is the only case I can think of where you can irrevocably gently caress up an important sidequest seconds after acquiring it.

But despite all that, the core gameplay is satisfying, it's a very pretty game by GBA standards, the remixed soundtrack is absolutely excellent, the story is charming in an overwritten, fanfictiony sort of way, and overall it feels like a much more ambitious and engaging remake than Adventures of Mana.

Long story short, I am now concurrently playing two save files of Sword of Mana, having an absolute blast, and can't wait to get off work so I can go back to it. And this pulled me away from Sonic Mania, the only Sonic-related anything I have genuinely liked since the Genesis. I have weird priorities.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The thing that always stood out to me with that game was the really melodramatic story. In the original Final Fantasy Adventure and even Adventure of Mana (Vita), the unique bosses like Count Lee and Dark Lord are just that, story bosses you get a few cutscenes then you have a boss fight and they are now dead.

Now in Sword of Mana, they are ALL tragic villains, even single one of them. And the game reminds you how sad it was that they were tragic villains because the game will bring them up all the time in dialog about how sad they were being used by Julius.

Also I remember it got rid of the Chocobo in that version as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
do you think the guy named Dark Lord is truly a bad person???

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It reminds me a lot of the fan remake of King's Quest II, of all things. Both games tried way too hard to weave an epic narrative where every character was connected in some complex fashion out of a straightforward video gamey plot. Also both games had a thing for tragic vampires.

I can't wait to see what the melodramatic payoff is going to be from not killing off Willy at the very beginning of the game. :allears:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As a little kid I thought FFAdventure was super long so when I got to the end of it I would just randomly load up my save file near the end of the game and beat it quickly in like 15 minutes to just replay it. That segment in Sword of Mana involves what I feel like hours of cutscenes before you can do the same and adds pretty much nothing of value.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

DOS you messed up because this should be the thread title.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grapeshot posted:

Why am I tempted to organize an Aliexpress Repro Secret Santa?

So many terrible variations on pokemon that you could inflict on someone...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Daddys hot grill posted:

DOS you messed up because this should be the thread title.
Disconnect from the present. Go back to the nineties. Buy Pokémon: Cock Edition.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

This is the year I finally purge most of my collection I have in my basement that I've toted from apartment to apartment over the last decade. I've pulled out maybe 3 of these games since they've been binned up forever ago, so it's time for them to go, especially now that I have a GBA Everdrive and an SNES Classic and a whole boatload of other ways to play most of these games.

I'm not sure if it's kosher to sell them here, but I've catalogued them all (and my friends have picked over most of the NES/SNES games I have), but if you love complete GB/GBC/GBA/N64/PS2 games, I'll throw up a thread in SA Mart shortly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xszui6PmtlEJv4XghAJsbOncl1QMeBkJeZEZjjfi98s/edit?usp=sharing

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 6, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's what SA-Mart is for, and due to thread history it's advised you post a big sale there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Phantasium posted:

That's what SA-Mart is for, and due to thread history it's advised you post a big sale there.

Will do!

Anyway, buy my crap. It's all in drat near perfect shape because I'm a crazy person. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836706

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 6, 2017

• Locked thread