Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I more pictured Mattis staring him down until Trump meekly picks up the pen and signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really want the cabinet suicide pact to be true, and for Kelly to initiate it.

Really getting the feeling tomorrow someone is gonna resign.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mattis hopefully pulled a Patton and slapped him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I more pictured Mattis staring him down until Trump meekly picks up the pen and signs

when/how did you get a new username?

are you now a zealand pirate yacht captain?

Pesticide20 posted:

*Tyrion Slapping Joffrey Gif*

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

Dumbfuck is planning on killing the nuclear deal next week. 40 years of stupid bullshit hasn't been enough apparently.

Not all hope is lost though, there's a technicality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.ecbf4c59cfe6

quote:

That would start a 60-day congressional review period to consider the next steps for the United States. On its own, the step would not break the agreement among Iran, the United States and other world powers, but would start a clock on resuming sanctions that the United States had lifted as its part of the deal.

Basically, it goes to a congressional vote to reimpose sanctions, which would need 50 votes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they either never take the vote, or Mattis/Dunford/Tillerson convince a few Republican Senators to vote no on it, keeping the deal and allowing Trump his tantrum.

The bottom line is that Iran has basically held up their end of the deal and not done nuclear poo poo, but they're still doing skeezy poo poo getting our troops killed (no links for that, I remember Iran providing weaponry to the Taliban or Iraqi insurgents, or some poo poo in the past?).

I guess I'm saying that Iran is no angel.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 5, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The point is to not kick the chair out from underneath the moderates again. Khamenei will die sooner or later and the Council of Experts will elect his successor. Pointless poking at Iran will only continue more of the same. Rouhani would honestly make a better US President than Donnie.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

psydude posted:

Well we found out why the government suddenly and quickly banned Kaspersky. Apparently it was used to steal files that NSA contractor had loaded onto his personal computer.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-10-05/russian-hackers-get-us-cyber-defense-details-from-nsa-wsj

Do you really believe Kaspersky is compromised and a Kremlin tool? I mean, it's easy enough to connect the dots historically. But then you've got a contractor who was going out of bounds here, right?

Pesticide20 posted:

Hahaha

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

The point is to not kick the chair out from underneath the moderates again. Khamenei will die sooner or later and the Council of Experts will elect his successor. Pointless poking at Iran will only continue more of the same. Rouhani would honestly make a better US President than Donnie.

The GOP crazies are obsessed with 'respect' and Iran does not respect us so obviously we must continue this retarded game with them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you really believe Kaspersky is compromised and a Kremlin tool? I mean, it's easy enough to connect the dots historically. But then you've got a contractor who was going out of bounds here, right?

Actually, its not as unlikely as you think: Putin has been slowly pushing Kaspersky to push out old management and personnel for people with closer ties to Russian Military and Intelligence

quote:

In August 2015, Bloomberg reported that Kaspersky Lab changed course in 2012, as "high-level managers have left or been fired, their jobs often filled by people with closer ties to Russia’s military or intelligence services. Some of these people actively aid criminal investigations by the FSB, the KGB’s successor, using data from some of the 400 million customers".[39] Kaspersky slammed Bloomberg's coverage on his blog, calling the coverage sensationalist and guilty of exploiting paranoia to increase readership.

While some of it is no doubt sensationalist, we visibly saw two or three Kaspersky employees arrested as "Spies", and Russia has been integrating a lot of its home companies back under the government thumb.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The GOP crazies are obsessed with 'respect' and Iran does not respect us so obviously we must continue this retarded game with them
Heh. Like the Saudis, Israelis, and Turks respect us?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Every antivirus software is a backdoor that sends data on things it finds so that signatures and heuristics can be developed. You agree to this when you install it.

The contractor hosed up by taking poo poo home, sure, but that's half of the issue here: He didn't have to sell anything to anyone for them to get their hands on it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hahaha

I can't elaborate on it, but yes, I do believe it was possible based on what I've seen.

More generally, the director of TAO himself admitted during an interview that they've used Steam and other AAA games to deliver malware to targets. It's not hard to imagine this being done somewhere else.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've got a large number of friends that work in computer security (more the reverse engineering side than the network side). Nobody is even slightly surprised, though I've not seen any hard evidence yet. I wouldn't blame the contractor, it was dumb to put stuff on an unsecured system, but really the NSA working practises shouldn't have let him be able to do that in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

I've got a large number of friends that work in computer security (more the reverse engineering side than the network side). Nobody is even slightly surprised, though I've not seen any hard evidence yet. I wouldn't blame the contractor, it was dumb to put stuff on an unsecured system, but really the NSA working practises shouldn't have let him be able to do that in the first place.

It looks like this is the same contractor that was arrested for the shadow brokers tools. So he's already going to burn.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of connecting dots, reports coming out this week that Russia has been hacking NATO troops' personal cellphones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/world/2017/10/4/16424602/nato-russia-smartphone-hacking-report

Combining The OPM breach giving away a complete list of security clearance applications, Equifax leaking practically every adult American's address and phone number, and a history of spectacular success targeting mobile devices for real-time tactical intelligence it seems it would be a simple matter to cross reference those into a target list and turn the US military's pockets into the greatest signals intelligence network in human history.

It will very soon become unjustifiable to allow anyone associated with the DoD to own personal communication devices at all.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

It will very soon become unjustifiable to allow anyone associated with the DoD to own personal communication devices at all.

Lucky

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Speaking of connecting dots, reports coming out this week that Russia has been hacking NATO troops' personal cellphones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/world/2017/10/4/16424602/nato-russia-smartphone-hacking-report

Combining The OPM breach giving away a complete list of security clearance applications, Equifax leaking practically every adult American's address and phone number, and a history of spectacular success targeting mobile devices for real-time tactical intelligence it seems it would be a simple matter to cross reference those into a target list and turn the US military's pockets into the greatest signals intelligence network in human history.

That trapped phone app that they used on the Ukrainians was amazing. Not because it was particularly complex or even that hard to do, but because it was easy as hell and nobody thought of doing it before. And nobody noticed for ages. A lot of my maths work is in how you formally secure general purpose computing systems, comms systems etc, civilian stuff though. It's a nightmare, largely if you want to make sure some state actor can't take your information the easiest way is to never put it on a computer at all, you've pretty much lost when someone targets you.

It isn't totally hosed up, but you really do need to start thinking "how long do I want to try and protect this for, it'll get read at some point", rather than "nobody will ever see this".

Doing better than that requires some fundamentally new computer science and we're a very very long way from developing that. I'm fairly convinced there aren't any general solutions anyway.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
[quote="“shame on an IGA”" post="“477090841”"]

[/quote]

I don't know if I can imagine how dumb being in the military would be without cell-phones. Thank god I'm out.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hexyflexy posted:

U.S. contractors are notoriously not paranoid enough, I could tell you a Boeing horror story I witnessed it's like a national complacency. Every cabinet department was grading D or F annually for cyber hardening- this was 10 years ago when I was studying that stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still that lax.
Sitting duck syndrome.

psydude C/D?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rep. Tim Murphy ("Pro-Life" guy from PA who told his mistress to get an abortion) is resigning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Rep. Tim Murphy ("Pro-Life" guy from PA who told his mistress to get an abortion) is resigning.

It wasn't just that, his Chief of Staff was basically taking him to court for documented hostile workplace issues. His staff had like a 100% turnover rate due to abuse.

Mr. Mambold posted:

U.S. contractors are notoriously not paranoid enough, I could tell you a Boeing horror story I witnessed it's like a national complacency. Every cabinet department was grading D or F annually for cyber hardening- this was 10 years ago when I was studying that stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still that lax.
Sitting duck syndrome.

psydude C/D?

I wish I could tell you about some of my Security work for Banks and Datacenters. Would make you physically ill. I know it did me, but honestly, despite the gut wrenching violations, I've come to expect it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sitting duck syndrome.

psydude C/D?

A lot of the federal contracting workforce, especially in the IC, is hired exclusively for their clearance first and their skills second. As a result, the quality of the average contractor is low. Combined with a bleeding of talent on the fed side due to the inability to pay as well as the private sector, a lot of the federal government has had a brain drain when it comes to IT and infosec.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It wasn't just that, his Chief of Staff was basically taking him to court for documented hostile workplace issues. His staff had like a 100% turnover rate due to abuse.

I wish I could tell you about some of my Security work for Banks and Datacenters. Would make you physically ill. I know it did me, but honestly, despite the gut wrenching violations, I've come to expect it.

I just got done a two day workshop with two regional power companies about developing better security for their distribution stations and I left convinced that we are utterly hosed if the Russians or North Koreans wanted to turn off the power to half the country. Like it's one thing to read about it in articles, but it's another thing to have the heads of security of two large power companies admit how massive the gaps are in their coverage.

At one point, one of the OT guys asserted that even though the relays are connected via a fiber ring, and that network terminates on the same RTUs that also connect back to the enterprise network, that it was perfectly safe and didn't need to be monitored because none of the traffic was routed between the two networks. The pen-testing team next to me collectively let out an incredulous laugh.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Seconding this, especially for financial companies. Currently work for #5 globally in terms of assets, have done security analysis work for #2, 3.
It's so loving bad you guys. The only thing I think holding back major compromise is the Frankenstein's monster that is most banking backends. That, and the fact that everything is still running on mainframes older than 75% of the current workforce.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

I just got done a two day workshop with two regional power companies about developing better security for their distribution stations and I left convinced that we are utterly hosed if the Russians or North Koreans wanted to turn off the power to half the country.

Happily, so are they. Cyber attacks on critical infrastructure is the new instrument of destruction in MAD.

psydude posted:

At one point, one of the OT guys asserted that even though the relays are connected via a fiber ring, and that network terminates on the same RTUs that also connect back to the enterprise network, that it was perfectly safe and didn't need to be monitored because none of the traffic was routed between the two networks. The pen-testing team next to me collectively let out an incredulous laugh.

:stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its always the same thing

it will cost a bunch of money to fix it now

or

we can pay a small fine later

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its always the same thing

it will cost a bunch of money to fix it now

or

we can pay a small fine later

Or, you sign up for the new hotness and retain cyber incident insurance to cover all sorts of contingencies and let your provided legal and communications team worry about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Lulzsec 2.0: Electric Boogaloo

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

psydude posted:

Hahaha, "This is perfectly safe as long as nobody attacks it". Yes, about that.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mueller's team met with Christopher Steele, the author behind the piss tape dossier. Senate Intel couldn't get to him, Mueller could.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/916062536797126656

Kelly's phone has been compromised for MONTHS

https://twitter.com/Reddy/status/916053898154065920

Mattis anti-leaking memo leaked

https://twitter.com/defense_news/status/916049708094812166

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

Mueller's team met with Christopher Steele, the author behind the piss tape dossier. Senate Intel couldn't get to him, Mueller could.

If you want something even more insane, here's Milo, then of Breitbart in April 2016, singing America the Beautiful in karaoke while Richard Spencer makes Nazi salutes. Also a bunch of Nazi poo poo in Breitbart internal emails, which isn't really a surprise.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.tuy6GrW640#.tlZoPEbolB

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jeff Sessions has rescinded the Obama era Anti-Discrimination policy that protect Transgenders.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...+Discrimination

While he claims that "He aims to protect all sexes, transgender included from discrimination", reminder that he met with an Anti-LGBT group not even three weeks ago.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Color me shocked that no GOP politicians or the NRA have poo poo their pants yet about regulating bump stocks. It's not much but it's sort of something. How about crazy internet gun people? How are they taking it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ya know, I always thought Milo was playing the Hitlerites for rubes, but I guess not, he really is just a true believer who doesn't believe that in their America he'd probably not see the inside of an oven/camp.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Color me shocked that no GOP politicians or the NRA have poo poo their pants yet about regulating bump stocks. It's not much but it's sort of something. How about crazy internet gun people? How are they taking it?

It's even weirder. The NRA is pro regulating bump stocks. Possibly to head off further controls by giving up low hanging fruit, but still.

Weird what happens when country music fans get massacred.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/nra-bump-stock/index.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Um.

What the gently caress is this about? (probably nothing)

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/916084993968840705

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Laranzu posted:

It's even weirder. The NRA is pro regulating bump stocks. Possibly to head off further controls by giving up low hanging fruit, but still.

Weird what happens when country music fans get massacred.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/nra-bump-stock/index.html

i really don't think it had anything to do with who got killed. but, i guess if you squint hard enough, then everyone is a racist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Um.

Or he could nuke North Korea. Find out in next week's episode!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Um.

Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vains posted:

i really don't think it had anything to do with who got killed. but, i guess if you squint hard enough, then everyone is a racist.

Really just put that qualifier in there because in no other circumstance have they ever said anything even mildly in favor of additional restrictions on any firearm.

In this case Republicans control all branches of government so it's not like they needed to change their standing.

The only thing I can figure is that they want the Republican legislators to have an easy way out. A way out they might need for some reason

• Locked thread