Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

Nazi's in Seattle, apparently a bunch of them are tech workers, who would've guessed 20-something shut-ins would be a bunch of racists?

https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention
Certainly not any of these "journalists" who feel the need need to keep doing biographies and interviews of avowed nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

Nazi's in Seattle, apparently a bunch of them are tech workers, who would've guessed 20-something shut-ins would be a bunch of racists?

https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention
The real shame here is he's not naming names.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

The real shame here is he's not naming names.

I know, right? What I would give to find out where these people work and spilling the beans on their "secret agent" agenda.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Goddammit do I have to get rid of a white polo shirt I have now....

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's for the best. Polos were a poo poo look even before Nazis co-opted it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jack2142 posted:

Goddammit do I have to get rid of a white polo shirt I have now....

You should anyway so you don't look like a dork.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Thanatosian posted:

Oakland would love a scandal that was just their chief shooting one of his friends. That department is a loving tire fire.

Can't be that bad, it's not like a ton of them all had sex with the same minor or something, right?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

The author makes mention of the, "Macklemore," haircut being coopted by Nazis when that fade style and several variations have long been known as the Hitler Youth cut.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ElCondemn posted:

CNBC says there are 250K tech workers in Washington, and 90% in king county (seattle) and with a metro population of 3.8million that means that 6% of the population are tech workers. So in short I'm not surprised, but there is likely no correlation between tech and nazis.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oscar Wild posted:

CNBC says there are 250K tech workers in Washington, and 90% in king county (seattle) and with a metro population of 3.8million that means that 6% of the population are tech workers. So in short I'm not surprised, but there is likely no correlation between tech and nazis.

That 250k number seems low? Maybe programmers only? Just thinking about the spread between amazon, microsoft, google, facebook, and then the smattering of smaller companies like F5 and companies like Nordstrom that have 1200+ in the IT org.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

silicone thrills posted:

That 250k number seems low? Maybe programmers only? Just thinking about the spread between amazon, microsoft, google, facebook, and then the smattering of smaller companies like F5 and companies like Nordstrom that have 1200+ in the IT org.

I got it from a march 2017 CNBC article which refers to Washington Technology Industry Association.

My dumbass point is that tech is a largish subset of those employed in the Seattle area and so their proportionally large participation in a dumbass movement should be expected. Because of that, the article is just a dog whistle against tech bros. Not saying tech bros aren't awful, but you can't connect the dots between the Nazi movement and tech workers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Steve Jorbs posted:

The author makes mention of the, "Macklemore," haircut being coopted by Nazis when that fade style and several variations have long been known as the Hitler Youth cut.

Yeah, don't expect anyone writing for the Stranger to have any concept of history. If it's the first time they're seen it, it's the first time it's ever been seen.

Oscar Wild posted:

I got it from a march 2017 CNBC article which refers to Washington Technology Industry Association.

My dumbass point is that tech is a largish subset of those employed in the Seattle area and so their proportionally large participation in a dumbass movement should be expected. Because of that, the article is just a dog whistle against tech bros. Not saying tech bros aren't awful, but you can't connect the dots between the Nazi movement and tech workers.

Also note how the author never actually speaks to anyone in the tech industry, even though there are a ton of them around. That's pretty loving lazy if you're going to continually make that sort of connection.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It'd be like saying a lot of Nazis in the Detroit area work in the automotive industry.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

#notalltechbros

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
#anecdotesarenotdata

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Regardless of the tech bit - the white dudes getting into managerial positions and loving minorities out of jobs definitely seems like a real thing that is happening.

On the flip side, in the tech industry, every single position i've posted and gotten resumes for has been 100% white dudes applying so it is really loving hard to parse when this is really happening in a malicious manner in my industry. I'd imagine in other industries this would be far more pronounced.

On the cool side, as a woman who applies for jobs in tech - get interviews lickity split. But i'm also white with a super white name. Like suuuuuuuper white. whitey white white. :(

I'm so drat paranoid about being part of the problem now, gently caress.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I know a Black woman who has worked for Microsoft for 3 years and said all the women PoC in her hiring cohort have pretty much all been weeded out, and that she continually feels like her own work isn't taken seriously, despite working like 60-70 hour workweeks on a regular basis. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of those assholes is in the chain of command above her.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

I know a Black woman who has worked for Microsoft for 3 years and said all the women PoC in her hiring cohort have pretty much all been weeded out, and that she continually feels like her own work isn't taken seriously, despite working like 60-70 hour workweeks on a regular basis. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of those assholes is in the chain of command above her.
Ok but wheres the DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I know this is supposed to be a "funny" shitpost and all, but you're missing the point completely.

This isn't about "not all tech bros" but rather "this poo poo happens everywhere, claiming it's a techbro only problem erases every other place it occurs." You can't think that this wasn't/isn't an issue in any of the other major employer in the PNW, right?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Because its "Techbros" that means it isn't honest true Cascadians who are attending the secret nazi meetings.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jack2142 posted:

Because its "Techbros" that means it isn't honest true Cascadians who are attending the secret nazi meetings.

That's a really good point.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's something that I will honestly say is a good thing about Boeing: everyone gets their work considered and addressed as valid. Can't be anything to do with the existence of labor unions for the majority of the workforce, no way.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've only ever worked fast food/service and tech so I'm not sure if my experience is similar across all industries or not, but in tech there are definitely a lot of bigots. The director of operations at my last job used to "joke" that I was born in a bean field...

Also I've heard people say hosed up poo poo about all types of minorities, around here it's a lot of stuff about Asians and Indians as opposed to Blacks and Hispanics (though I've heard that too).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

I know this is supposed to be a "funny" shitpost and all, but you're missing the point completely.

This isn't about "not all tech bros" but rather "this poo poo happens everywhere, claiming it's a techbro only problem erases every other place it occurs." You can't think that this wasn't/isn't an issue in any of the other major employer in the PNW, right?
Erasure is definately the problem here.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Oddly that's the opposite of my experience in tech, where I've found things pretty egalitarian as far as race is concerned (there's a huge gender problem, obviously). Lots of Indians, Hispanics, and Asians in management and architect roles though African-Americans definitely feel underrepresented, even for Seattle. Contrast with the lily white complexion of the business side of things. The former head of hiring at my girlfriend's company that does business consulting apparently used to throw out resumes if he couldn't read/pronounce the name.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

Oddly that's the opposite of my experience in tech, where I've found things pretty egalitarian as far as race is concerned (there's a huge gender problem, obviously). Lots of Indians, Hispanics, and Asians in management and architect roles though African-Americans definitely feel underrepresented, even for Seattle. Contrast with the lily white complexion of the business side of things. The former head of hiring at my girlfriend's company that does business consulting apparently used to throw out resumes if he couldn't read/pronounce the name.

Your experience is rooted in your own personal biases, you don't notice the problems because you're not affected by it and/or it doesn't matter to you. The fact is that minorities are vastly underrepresented in tech, the token minority in a key role every now and then doesn't mean it's egalitarian in the least.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Erasure is definately the problem here.

Look man, if you honestly believe that racism is a unique problem within the tech industry that doesn't exist elsewhere then come out and say it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Solkanar512 posted:

Look man, if you honestly believe that racism is a unique problem within the tech industry that doesn't exist elsewhere then come out and say it.

What if the erasure is this though:

Jack2142 posted:

what then, mssr swamp king

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't see how that couldn't be the case, the tech industry is filled with young white males, the largest demographic of racists also happens to be young white males.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

The article specifically names True Cascadia as being part of the vetting process though!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Steve Jorbs posted:

The article specifically names True Cascadia as being part of the vetting process though!

It's Cultural Appropriation.

Although that article does answer the question of the poster the other week about wtf those True Cascadia posters were about, as guessed Nazi's!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Jack2142 posted:

It's Cultural Appropriation.

Although that article does answer the question of the poster the other week about wtf those True Cascadia posters were about, as guessed Nazi's!

I figured they were, mostly I was just wondering if peeps had more information about them. The poster was hilariously stupid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Adlai Stevenson posted:

What if the erasure is this though:

what then, mssr swamp king

Then Teabag can clarify.

ElCondemn posted:

I don't see how that couldn't be the case, the tech industry is filled with young white males, the largest demographic of racists also happens to be young white males.

Yes, this is pretty obvious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That's something that I will honestly say is a good thing about Boeing: everyone gets their work considered and addressed as valid. Can't be anything to do with the existence of labor unions for the majority of the workforce, no way.

85% of Boeing execs are old white males, though.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Edit: Actually, whatever.

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Crossposted from the antifa thread:

apokaladle posted:

https://twitter.com/techworkersco/status/915969214522867712

So, I'm mostly a lurker, but this article is highlighting something that I unfortunately knew but want to more effectively combat.

We've seen some success in outing fascists who show up at events like Charlottesville and publicly pressuring their employers. That's awesome! However, we only hit a small cross section of them, and the bosses aren't interested in taking any action unless they get enough negative attention that the accountants say that employing fascists is a liability. That's less awesome.

I'm personally working in the tech industry right now, and being black and non-male, I could've told you there were no-poo poo fascists in tech ages ago. We know that they're conspiring to reject PoC candidates, and as tech grows to consume more of the economy, the algorithms they build and the platforms they support and the content moderation standards they enforce become more dangerous weapons daily.

I know a lot of goons are professional computer touchers, and I hear a lot of you talking about that one rear end in a top hat you work with. Instead of being unhappy and letting them fester further, if you are at all able to do so, I implore you to start talking with your coworkers. I'm a big fan of labor organizing, and if one Nazi shitbag can keep the office white, what can you and even just a couple of your coworkers do if you get organized?

I've been a part of the Tech Workers Coalition (in the tweet above) for the better part of a year now. There's a lot of varying projects we're working on, including solidarity with disproportionately non-male/non-white service workers in tech and abolishing role segregation, but one of them is building an explicitly anti-sexist, anti-racist, and anti-fascist culture in the tech industry. If you're in the Bay Area or Seattle, we have general meetings fairly regularly, and we also have a Slack channel that you can join (with some vetting) and talk about stuff in. We also want to open up chapters other places when there are enough interested people. If you're interested, please come on by and help us build this. Thanks for letting me plug this here.

P.S. join the iww

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Seriously though, if you guys ever formed a computer toucher's union, you'd be incredibly powerful.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Will the union have a ball pit?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Can I wield the union's power to oppress women and minorities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Certainly not any of these "journalists" who feel the need need to keep doing biographies and interviews of avowed nazis.

i don't think an article like this serves as the kind of publicity nazis want. i do have a problem with the kind of journalism like what comes from the new york times that carefully avoids any sort of moral judgment. this one doesn't shy away from how awful, but also unbearably tedious modern nazis are, though

Solkanar512 posted:

you're the one who whined about the article being too mean to tech workers in the first place. when people roll their eyes at you, they're rolling their eyes at your immediate impulsive desire to defend a multibillion dollar industry