Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't worry about it. People have an unhealthy obsession of going through everything with a microscope to find every grain of "omgracism".

Some people are also quick to dismiss as many instances of racism as they can so they don't have to worry about them. So I'm curious what was racist about the mole dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Total War: Warhammer 2

Playing as the lizards, I had a quest battle to get a snazzy weapon that required me to beat the poo poo out of a dark elf lord in a time limit. My lord got knocked out by their war hydra and I thought I was done for, but the rest of my lizards berserked and caved the enemy lord's head in in 5 seconds.

Lizards rule, elves drool.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Trainmonk posted:

Some people are also quick to dismiss as many instances of racism as they can so they don't have to worry about them. So I'm curious what was racist about the mole dudes?

Sometimes a mole is just a mole. They have big hands and like to dig stuff. They use minecarts and bombs to help their mining because they are anthropomorphized moles.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

FauxGateau posted:

Tyranny is a really good rpg. It gives you scaling degrees of being a horrible monster, but because of this you're constantly pushing yourself in order to be the best monster for the glory of Kyros (I have his poster above my bed). My own moral horizon showed itself when I was trying to get info from a prisoner and after gaining seemingly useless intel you're left with a choice. Either let the prisoner die or force the prisoner to kill her fellow prisoners for her freedom. So I gave her a rock.

It didn't even faze me until after it was done. I suppose it's a testament to the writing that I was able to immerse myself into such a repugnant character without realizing it.

Tyranny is amazing for this sort of slow character slide. I ended up alienating almost everyone around me and became a figurehead for the rebellion by advocating moderate sensible reform of the Overlord's policies in the name of good long-term stable oppression and exploitation.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Trainmonk posted:

Well yeah, I wanna hear what it was too, because it's sure to be great.

What ethnic group did these anthropomorphic moles offend?

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Total War: Warhammer 2

Playing as the lizards, I had a quest battle to get a snazzy weapon that required me to beat the poo poo out of a dark elf lord in a time limit. My lord got knocked out by their war hydra and I thought I was done for, but the rest of my lizards berserked and caved the enemy lord's head in in 5 seconds.

Lizards rule, elves drool.

One of the Lizard artillery units is a dinosaur with a laser cannon on its back. One of Its best features is the fact that after it fires off all its ammunition it can still say "RAWR IMMA DINASAUR!" and wade into melee combat to wreck poo poo.
Also one of the Lizard generals is a 10-Foot tall Aztec Lizardman mounted on a T-Rex.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't worry about it. People have an unhealthy obsession of going through everything with a microscope to find every grain of "omgracism".
says the guy who thinks "Chinese are retarded as gently caress"

but yeah I'll third wanting to know what was racist in Moletown, a quick google doesn't really show me anything

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
" Hey, I got a great idea! Let's kill ALL THE GODDAMN SPARROWS IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY! Surely nothing could go wrong with this amazing plan!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Anyway yeah, bring on the possibly-racist Mario moletown stuff. I never played the game, but I'm pretty interested because of all the franchises Mario's one of the ones that's managed to keep their nose clean so far, at least as far as I'm aware.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Simply Simon posted:

I got a SNES Mini more or less through a windfall and while I'm super happy in general to play some good old poo poo again, I am half looking forward to and half dreading Super Mario RPG. I've tried it out emulated two or even three times and could never get past the first few sections, first a purple crocodile was kicking my loving rear end over and over, then I surmounted it on my next try and promptly failed like crazy against the next boss. I think I'm doing something super wrong...or should maybe actually read the loving manual like it's 1996??? I had a great time with Partners in Time which everyone hates, so...

:stare: Well, uh. It's a game made for literal children. Did you try using your fireball skill against the crocodile? You can't really do anything wrong in Mario RPG. Outside of a small handful of enemies you can beat the game in like, an afternoon just mashing the attack button.

Danaru posted:

My only problem is for some reason, every time I start to play Mario RPG, something catastrophic happens that makes me lose everything. At first the game cartridge battery broke and wouldn't save anymore so I'd just leave the system on, then my snes broke, then I moved on to emulators and my PC got a virus and had to be wiped, then the entire PC poo poo out and we had to get a new one, even my memory stick on my PSP suddenly became unreadable. It always happens just before or just after Exor. I must have played through the game like ten times up to that point but I've never once actually got to Smithy before something happened to my save :saddowns: I'm kinda nervous to play through it anymore,

When I was a kid, the last time I rented the game it had a broken save battery so I had to leave it running for the whole weekend. At one point I screwed up and died. There went all my progress. :negative:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Divinity: Original Sin 2

The use of the environment and how just about every fight or encounter is designed with the environment in mind. This alone is different enough from any other RPG I've played that I'm also slightly annoyed that you can't do it even more in this game. What I wouldn't give for teleportation kills in areas with steep drops.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jon joe posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 2

The use of the environment and how just about every fight or encounter is designed with the environment in mind. This alone is different enough from any other RPG I've played that I'm also slightly annoyed that you can't do it even more in this game. What I wouldn't give for teleportation kills in areas with steep drops.

You could teleport people into lava for instant kills in the first one but I haven't managed that in this one yet

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

For some reason today in Dota 2 botmatches instead of being a random assortment, the bots would always play the same set of characters in what was actually a pretty well synergized team. They would also poo poo-talk each other throughout the match and the Zeus would type "?" into chat whenever he got a kill which was infuriating when he'd already been fed to infinity by a lovely mid. I swear it wasn't like this yesterday

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nostradingus posted:

I'm playing through Mario RPG as well and trying to do a Mallow and Geno run, since I always ended up using Bowser and Peach in previous playthroughs. It's still one of my favorite games but I lost to Croco because I forgot to buy and equip armor. I also forgot that the mole village is a little uncomfortably racist

TELL US WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE MOLE MAN VILLAGE YOU loving SON OF A BITCH

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well yeah, I wanna hear what it was too, because it's sure to be great.

What ethnic group did these anthropomorphic moles offend?

A lot of the time racism isn't about who is offended but more about what an instance of it is doing to perpetuate the cycle of ignorance and harm. Acknowledging and understanding this when it comes up is pretty key to eliminating the effects of racism for future generations.

You dont have to stop liking something if you acknowledge problems with it, don't know why the first instinct is to dismiss and criticize.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Johnny Aztec posted:

" Hey, I got a great idea! Let's kill ALL THE GODDAMN SPARROWS IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY! Surely nothing could go wrong with this amazing plan!"

-All Chinese People(?)

EDIT: I've never played Mario RPG but I demand to know what is racist about this place I've never heard of. Big Trouble in Little Mole Town.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Oct 6, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Trainmonk posted:

You dont have to stop liking something if you acknowledge problems with it, don't know why the first instinct is to dismiss and criticize.

Because nobody has any loving clue what the Moletown racism thing is even referring to!

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Because nobody has any loving clue what the Moletown racism thing is even referring to!

If it's a troll, it's been a very effective one. We should consider ending the derail.

Divinity: Original Sin is fun though. Just started playing the first one with a friend, and it's as close to D&D as you're going to get in a multiplayer game. At least in the beginning the summons are fun. We have found ourselves more than once cheering "Giant spider for MVP!"

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Right but it's not healthy to dismiss something as sensationalist before even understanding what it is. I'd like to know too

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
PYF little things in games: The Terrible Secret of Moletown

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They all eat mole 24/7.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

1stGear posted:

PYF little things in games: The Terrible Secret of Moletown

Once you know, you'll never play Mario the same way again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jerry Cotton posted:

They all eat mole 24/7.

Mole is good though.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

SergZpartan posted:

One of the Lizard artillery units is a dinosaur with a laser cannon on its back. One of Its best features is the fact that after it fires off all its ammunition it can still say "RAWR IMMA DINASAUR!" and wade into melee combat to wreck poo poo.
Also one of the Lizard generals is a 10-Foot tall Aztec Lizardman mounted on a T-Rex.

In one of the dev diary videos about the lizards they talked about adding some shittier mid-tier dinos to the roster. They basically went "these aren't canon but we thought dinosaurs are an important part of the faction identity and we didn't want the player to go too long without being able to field any."

One of the skaven lords starts with the radioactive hellfire flamethrowers and I love them so much.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Picked up Mad Max on sale on Steam, and it's pretty much what you'd expect: a decently-made WB-published open world collectathon like the Batman Arkham games or the Shadow of Mordor stuff. What I didn't expect was how bleak and pointless it all is, and especially what an unlikable and irredeemable piece of poo poo Max is. I know they had to return to the status quo by the end of the game, but the last hour of the plot is just....gently caress. I did not identify with or even root for Max. I hate him more than The Boss from Saints Row, even. And I'm not sure if that's an intentional part of the game's writing and design or not.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, it's intentional. the end of the game is meant to lead into the beginning of Fury Road. the weird PTSD flashbacks in the movie of people haunting Max and blaming him for their deaths are the NPCs who died. the movie is his redemption for what he did in the game.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Weird, i cant believe a poor country with no education structure didn't know anything about food chain collapse. Apparently it is knowledge everyone but the Chinese are born with

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuebot posted:

:stare: Well, uh. It's a game made for literal children. Did you try using your fireball skill against the crocodile? You can't really do anything wrong in Mario RPG. Outside of a small handful of enemies you can beat the game in like, an afternoon just mashing the attack button.
Listen, I don't know what I did wrong, I just remember having had a bad time twice now. Someone said that it's possible to not buy equipment, maybe I neglected that. I really, really don't know where my problems came from; I have beaten every Final Fantasy from 1-13 excluding 11, many of them including superbosses and poo poo, so it's not like a Square RPG should confound me, but it did. As I said, I'm super looking forward to addressing this eternal point of personal shame.

When I initially posted, I thought I was in the complaints thread, but I guess that will actually be a little thing that makes playing Super Mario RPG ages too late* for it to be relevant actually special in a way for me.

*I'm German, so I couldn't easily have played it before discovering emulators anyway!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tardcore posted:

Weird, i cant believe a poor country with no education structure didn't know anything about food chain collapse. Apparently it is knowledge everyone but the Chinese are born with

No but generally those people aren't deciding national policy.

Generally.

Edit: Nevermind just scrolled up and saw the context of that statement. Oh boy, backing off of that one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, it's intentional. the end of the game is meant to lead into the beginning of Fury Road. the weird PTSD flashbacks in the movie of people haunting Max and blaming him for their deaths are the NPCs who died. the movie is his redemption for what he did in the game.

I thought there was some books or comic series that was suppose to lead into that though? At least that's as much as i understand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The stereotypical hillbilly accent, which is what the moles do, overlaps with old stereotypes about how southern black people talk. Also I think people get it confused with the moles from Redwall.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's one of those things that only seems racist until you think about it for more than ten seconds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I thought there was some books or comic series that was suppose to lead into that though? At least that's as much as i understand.

Yeah the game is intended to be like the rest of the series: Max is an almost mythological character and canon is very loose. Theres not really a direct connection.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate that Telltale Batman's series is using JB Blanc as Bane, who has done his voice in quite a few other adaptions.

A pity they don't use the Arkham series' VA for Riddler, but giving the wildly different interpretation - Arkham guy is a massive, whiny poo poo dangerous by proxy, whereas TT Riddler is a legitimately dangerous terrorist - I suppose a new dude is suitable.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Mass effect: Andromeda. In a side mission the landing team is sitting and those safety harnesses come down. Think: roller coaster overhead harness. If you take Drack with you the thing just goes up and down failing to cover them, failing noise included, because they're too big to fit in the harness.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Nobody ever thinks about moleman

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Nobody ever thinks about moleman

Those lucky bastards.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate that Telltale Batman's series is using JB Blanc as Bane, who has done his voice in quite a few other adaptions.

A pity they don't use the Arkham series' VA for Riddler, but giving the wildly different interpretation - Arkham guy is a massive, whiny poo poo dangerous by proxy, whereas TT Riddler is a legitimately dangerous terrorist - I suppose a new dude is suitable.

Honestly I have a pavlovian anger response to his voice at this point so that's fine with me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

The stereotypical hillbilly accent, which is what the moles do, overlaps with old stereotypes about how southern black people talk. Also I think people get it confused with the moles from Redwall.

Oh well that's dumb

I was hoping for a Jynx type situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh well that's dumb

I was hoping for a Jynx type situation

Good Lawd, Mistah Mario! I don't know nuthing bout riding no minecarts!