Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

You Am I posted:

So what he's trying to say here is that we need to drown the poor?

Boil the ocean away is how I understand it. Then everyone will be better off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
mandatory voting
mandatory open carry firearms for all

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Postal surveys on human rights for some
Tiny Australian flags for others

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey senator Davy, I took your picture but scratched out 'minimum wage' and replaced it with 'cost of living'. Oh no! It still makes (as much) sense but now it means the opposite! Oh no!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Been in Melbourne for 24 hours and have yet to be shot by a cop

7/10

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
When I was at QUT people handing out leaflets for leftist candidates would get buckets of spoiled milk thrown on them by guys on rollerblades.

I could have gone to JCU where some young libs were ejected for making monkey noises during a presentation by an Aboriginal woman.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Don Dongington posted:

Been in Melbourne for 24 hours and have yet to be shot by a cop

7/10
Head up to Brisbane, it'll be done in the first hour.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Intoluene posted:

Pretty sure any job that raises revenue less than 15 dollars an hour is either done by machine or done in a sweatshop overseas. Also, I think the ceo can put off buying his third yacht for another year or two.

or a 16 year old 'trainee' costing the employer about $4/hour after various government handouts.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Meanwhile in more Queensland is a poo poo state news:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/05/alarming-rise-in-queensland-tree-clearing-as-400000-hectares-stripped

Mowing down trees like it's nothing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Finally got around to watching media watch

Mack Lè More

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Not 100% sure this is true buuuuuuuuut...

https://twitter.com/simonahac/status/915726116001681408

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What is the deal with this Danby fuckwit?

That'd be cool if true. Imagine if we had a government that wasn't actively stonewalling the renewable energy sector.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

gay picnic defence posted:

What is the deal with this Danby fuckwit?

He's held his seat basically uncontested until both the Liberals and the Greens ran full-force last year, so he has literally no idea how to handle being in focus like this.

Then, you have to know that Melbourne Ports has part of Caulfield, which has an enormous Jewish population that's the only consistent voter bloc for him. ...but that's not all of the electorate, or even the majority, the rest of which having a pretty low Jewish population being composed of places like South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Albert Park and St Kilda. Which is how both the Greens and Liberals are making gains; they're primarily focusing on the parts of the electorate that support them, which includes normally Labor-leaning voters that are just tired of being ignored by this jackass on the federal level.

So we've got a guy with no idea how to properly behave under pressure, whose only ardent supporter base are in the Jewish population. So he'll kick up some fury whenever he smells blood on the Israel front, but he's bad at it and has no idea how to do that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The ABC reckons this is what's required for Yes to lose

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Maybe I'm bad at graphs but that seems completely plausible. Or was that your point? I don't agree with Gorilla Salad's poo poo fits of late but some context would be nice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

G-Spot Run posted:

Maybe I'm bad at graphs but that seems completely plausible. Or was that your point? I don't agree with Gorilla Salad's poo poo fits of late but some context would be nice

The context is here, and that scenario is one of the ones that relies on every poll done on the issue being wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/06/coalition-resists-calls-to-ban-importation-of-flammable-cladding

Sure it's used everywhere illegally but banning it? :effort:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-06/arthur-sinodinos-reveals-he-has-cancer/9021522

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
"The Turnbull government is again resisting calls to ban the importation of flammable cladding, saying scaring people “is not the answer”."

Meanwhile, facial recognition database and pre-charge detention because terrorists are everywhere and among us at all times. :cripes:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even if it wasn't flammable it should be banned. Buildings that use it look awful when they're brand new, I hate to think what they'll look like in another few decades.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder if Xenophon quitting is linked to the citizenship case.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

It's not impossible though.

I mean muh brexit
Muh Donald

*gets job as a journalist*

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

open24hours posted:

Pretty obvious case of "you can't find me ineligible, I quit!", no?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/916093111222202368

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/916093517285302272

Christmas is early, guys.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

It's not impossible though.

I mean muh brexit
Muh Donald

*gets job as a journalist*
Brexit polls had Remain as solid favourite but Leave was still within reach (thanks to the margin of error and undecided voters), and polls did a decent job on the popular vote for Clinton v Trump but hosed up a lot of state races (here's a pre-election 538 piece talking about how Trump was just a small polling error out)

Meanwhile the polls for Macron v Le Pen were wrong by a considerable amount but since it just made a clear win bigger nobody really talks about it. There's also a discussion about how there was no Shy Tory factor in that election at all, and how the concept applies more generally (or rather, how it doesn't).

It's not impossible, and I get the idea of being cautious given how poo poo things have been, but NO winning requires a bigger leap than either of the two cases you mentioned.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

open24hours posted:

Quitting federal to run at state level, maybe? That way he doesn't have to worry about the outcome of all this High Court stuff.

gently caress Xenophon. Nothing of value is lost with him leaving.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Someone pointed out that Xenophon leaving helps Sarah Hanson Young a lot.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
He's going to run in Hartley (marginal Lib seat in SA parliament)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Someone pointed out that Xenophon leaving helps Sarah Hanson Young a lot.

Doubt it, his seat will be taken by the Liberals, simple return of the one they lost to Bernardi. Greens in SA are going nowhere but down, SHY is probably going to lose her seat next election, with no Greens from SA in the Senate - 1 Lib, 1 AC, 2 Lab, 2 NXT are retained, while 2 Lib, 1 Lab, 1 NXT, 1 Green, and 1 FF only have half terms and need to fight against the regular split.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 6, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Doubt it, his seat will be taken by the Liberals, simple return of the one they lost to Bernardi. Greens in SA are going nowhere but down.

He has a huge personal vote. NXT got 3 Senators, and as much as we like to talk about Roberts only getting 70-odd first preferences the other successful NXT candidates only got around 100. Without him at the top of the ticket they're not going to be nearly as successful, and that makes it easier for the Greens.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He has a huge personal vote. NXT got 3 Senators, and as much as we like to talk about Roberts only getting 70-odd first preferences the other successful NXT candidates only got around 100. Without him at the top of the ticket they're not going to be nearly as successful, and that makes it easier for the Greens.

Xenophon had a double term, so he gets an appointed replacement. I think you're making a mistake in thinking that any NXT voters who leave will do anything other than drift back to the Liberals and Labor 2:1

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

"We don't want to ban it as it will scare people"

WTF? So it's better they get burnt alive?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
NXT's also got a huge protest-vote contingent, in large part because SA gets ignored by the big two unless there's manufacturing involved, and even then it's not much actual effort.

I wouldn't expect that to lead to a huge swing towards the Greens because Xenophon's far more right-wing, as well as the Greens having a similar issue to the L-Parties in that most of their tentpole policy platforms are very east-coast-focused. But I think they'll absorb a fair amount of the 'I just want to make them sweat' supporters, at least for a little while.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 6, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You Am I posted:

"We don't want to ban it as it will scare people"

WTF? So it's better they get burnt alive?
Sure, they're all mostly poor people. LNP clearly thinking long game on this one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Xenophon had a double term, so he gets an appointed replacement. I think you're making a mistake in thinking that any NXT voters who leave will do anything other than drift back to the Liberals and Labor 2:1

Who replaces him still depends on the court case result. Some will drift back to the major parties but I think there's enough of a protest vote to lift the Greens results, but I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
gently caress off back to loving your own state instead of the country you perennial Liberal staffer Xenophon

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The preference deals, that's what will make a difference. What games are AC and NXT going to play with them? If it gets adversarial, will it be enough to split the conservative vote and improve the ALP's chances of getting an outright majority? Or is it a potential coalition to take government? I don't think the Greens factor large in all this. Interesting times.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Who replaces him still depends on the court case result. Some will drift back to the major parties but I think there's enough of a protest vote to lift the Greens results, but I'm happy to agree to disagree.

He's either replaced by 4th on the ticket, or someone from NXT appointed by the state government, makes little difference.

SHY was elected 11th of 12 in the DD election, and Penny Wright missed out completely. She's now competing for 6th spot against Family First, Bernardi's idiots, NXT, and 2nd/3rd on the ballot from the ALP/Liberals, and this is SA. Pretty certain she's going to be combining her pension with a salary from a neoliberal think tank in the near future. I'm predicting 2 ALP, 1 Liberal, 1 NXT, 1 AC, and 1 FF.

I also want SHY to lose, and gently caress off and never be seen again except as a vapid talking head giving the pretend opposite viewpoint on Sky, so maybe I'm biased

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 6, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Re cladding: I agree with banning it for sale and importation, but there is a far wider problem regarding enforcement of building standards.

In the early 90s, the federal government pushed states to begin a process of privatisation of building regulation.

In Victoria we now have a situation where private building surveyors receive 80% of permit applications (and thus fees), where as local government is responsible for post-construction monitoring and enforcement for compliance and safety.

It's a combination of regulatory capture of private building surveyors and critically underresourced government regulators, made even worse by phoenixing of practitioner corporations to evade liability.

The entire building system in Victoria is hosed and it sure as hell isnt going to get fixed anytime soon because that would require money, passing the costs on to developers (who fund the parties) or buyers (who vote). I can't imagine it's much better anywhere else around the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Family First literally do not exist any more, they deregistered and merged with the Conservatives.

• Locked thread