Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just picked this game back up when I saw there was some mondo event going on and now I'm about 3 times as powerful as when I started. Anyway, I'm going to bench Yda because she has gone from my best character to deadweight. My current party is

Yda, BSB
Vincent, AoE and single target SSBs
Vanille, BSB
Zidane, USB, BSB, SSB
Butts, USB

The characters I'm looking at for replacing her are

Alphinaud, I have his USB and he seems like he would have wind element synergy with Zidane and Butts. On the other hand it seems like he relies on powerful honed summons which I have zero of.
Cid Raines, I have his OSB and BSB so he must be good. But he also seems like some sort of weird hybrid caster/puncher?
Yuffie, I have her USB and SSB but I have no idea if ninjas are at all useful or not.

Any suggestions? Zidane using his BSB is responsible for like 70% of my damage at the moment but I'm hoping once I get him a high level thief damage ability I can start using his USB and going for wind shenanigans.

1 Other question: Are the tier 2 and 3 level cap break crystals rare enough that I need to carefully consider using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As somebody whose first healing BSB was Minwu's, I have absolutely no idea why you'd pick Minwu's unless you just already had every other decent SB on the selection banner. I think the only time I've ever gotten any mileage out of it was the White Magic Nightmares, and to be honest the damage (which is half of what it does, he has a damage command too) is really underwhelming even if you trick him out with full synergy MND gear and a MND buff.

Also man I put off finishing FF6 and this Imperial wave boss is stupider and less fun every single time it comes back

Like uh I did it as soon as I posted that but it's always just this weird exercise in pump priming where either you wipe basically without getting anything done on the first wave or you blow them through at lightning speed if you can get your setup off and Lifesiphon through the first

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 5, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ah yeah i checked out his commands and its a definite pass with no heal entry, curaja command no with no perk and bad attack command instead of small medica

FFI just has no content i think so I'll probably go with Ysh even though she's already overworked

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
I'd never done the Torment jump starts because going through two of the same Torment dungeon to get to them seemed like a boring slog and I figured the rewards weren't worth it, but I did the FFV one out of boredom today and hot drat, it's worth 90 *5 spirit motes. Now I'm the proud owner of a fully dived Vanille and a half-dived Raines. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and do the others when they come back around.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ah yeah i checked out his commands and its a definite pass with no heal entry, curaja command no with no perk and bad attack command instead of small medica

FFI just has no content i think so I'll probably go with Ysh even though she's already overworked

Sarah's BSB is really good for pretty much everything, not just FF1 stuff. Ysh is better in general though.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Cloud with USB + Indomitable Blade RW = unlimited uncapped Omega Drives against magic bosses :kiddo:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Adel posted:

Cloud with USB + Indomitable Blade RW = unlimited uncapped Omega Drives against magic bosses :kiddo:

Yeah... I pulled and didn't get it :(

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Here's my relics (There are tabs at the bottom, the first two are probably the most relevant, broken down by element and then healer/boostga/faithga):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GHj8y30CFsVnsb-UkKkDSpR8n7cMy5KAUXhrt3Sy4iw/edit?usp=sharing

Any recommendations on what to pick for the gem banner and the crystal tower banner? Something water based makes sense on the gem banner, but I'm not sure what to do on the other banner

At this point I can clear some of the first level torment dungeons, and get demolished in magicite battles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Edge of my seat but that was easy and could probably do better. I don't have much that isn't holy or lightning.

Chardanook seems very hard though...

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Chardanook is all about timing, which is why Noctis’ SSB helped me so much. As long as you don’t accidentally hit Goddess form with a non-holy attack so you don’t get pelted with status ailments. So during his other form I’d just do Noctis’ SSB and do as much dps as possible, then chill when it felt like he was about to change back to Goddess, hit her with holy to make her switch back (I just used Diaga on a healer since my holy options were limited), repeat until his health is low enough to where he wont switch to Goddess form anymore and unleash everything.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Chardanook is just a bit more finnicky. If you prefer Physical teams to magical ones, keep in mind anyone with White 2 can bring Dia and anyone with Ninja 3 can bring Fire Veil to take down the physical barrier. Selphie also has a holy auto-attack RM which is perfect for the jump start, if you happen to have her levelled.

I also think all the physical damage is single target and taunt-able, so a Drawtaliator means you don't need Protectga and avoid the status effects in the demon form.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edge of my seat but that was easy and could probably do better. I don't have much that isn't holy or lightning.

Chardanook seems very hard though...

Goddess is a goddamn piece of cake compared. I won't have the time to try more attempts, and I got him down to ~5% easy :(

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pander posted:

it is a top tier medica on a top tier character given her wrath access.

the only other option I've heard consistently better things about is Rosa USB given her wrath access.

It's basically everything.

-BSB is pure focused healing with HP bubble. No buffs or gimmicks which water down the healing aspect.
-The HP bubble is good enough that if you have sb bar it's worth it to cast even if your party is at full health for HP buffer.
-Wrath makes it so you don't need Mako's Might and can instead easily give her Battleforged or some other SB bonus RM and still have an SB ready to go when the battle begins in earnest. This is my personal setup.
-And also it means you can give her a breakdown if you need to or have an entrust setup.
-I have her SSB, Aethereal Pulse, which gives proshellga and high regen, which means I can, not, take Protectga and Shellga if I need to free up room.
-She also has an excellent Legend Dive which is again, healing focused.

and one last overlooked feature:

-Y'shtola is really tanky. With a full legend dive she has 6.5k HP. While most healers top at around 5.5kish.

She's really the best focused healer in the game.

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

Cid Raines, I have his OSB and BSB so he must be good. But he also seems like some sort of weird hybrid caster/puncher?

ignore the monk stuff. he's a caster with an extremely good BSB, and also 4* support. he's the obvious choice here.

quote:

1 Other question: Are the tier 2 and 3 level cap break crystals rare enough that I need to carefully consider using them?
2s are fairly common, events give them out for all the characters featured in the event plus a generic one and you should be able to do those dungeons with the stuff you just got. 3s are limited to one generic a week (assuming you can beat the 140 difficulty event dungeons) so you need to put some thought into who gets them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I ended up doing it with a mixed elemental team. I had Locke BSB and Celes BSB2 at the same time with Cloud USB shenanigans. Fire imperil wasn't enough to take down the dragon in the 300 but Celes flattened it really easy.

Can confirm, I also used Celes BSB2 + Cloud USB to eviscerate the dragon. It honestly seems like the only way to reasonably do the 3-man CM, if you don't have Ayame BSB. Maybe a non-elemental build with Noctis + Cloud USB could manage it (or just Cloud native spamming Omega Drive. Either way.)

For the record, Dark Dragon resists all elements except ice by 80% (so it takes 20% damage from everything) and is only 10% weak to ice. And it has 500k HP. It's a slog.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I recently dived Gogo! As it turns out, Mimicry is fun and good! Beat the 300 V-Torment yesterday in just 2 tries with Exdeath, Krile, Gogo(V), Gogo(VI), and Penello. Stacking Mag buffs and spamming powerful summons 3-4 times a turn is extremely good.

Are there any new Mimes coming out in the future?

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 6, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Stopgap posted:

I'd never done the Torment jump starts because going through two of the same Torment dungeon to get to them seemed like a boring slog and I figured the rewards weren't worth it, but I did the FFV one out of boredom today and hot drat, it's worth 90 *5 spirit motes. Now I'm the proud owner of a fully dived Vanille and a half-dived Raines. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and do the others when they come back around.

I felt the same way at first until someone told me the Jump Start version doesn't have any trash mobs. They are definitely worth doing, they are all much faster / easier than the other difficulties.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Holy/Dark Magicite coming tomorrow along with Half-Stamina Magicite Dungeons. Time to burn my keystones and finally dive Raines.

Half stamina will last until the 27th.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Goddamnit I need to do these nightmares yesterday

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

pichupal posted:

Holy/Dark Magicite coming tomorrow along with Half-Stamina Magicite Dungeons. Time to burn my keystones and finally dive Raines.

Half stamina will last until the 27th.

My cunning strategy to be too lazy to farm the things for two weeks pays off!

And I just finished clearing them out thanks to my new ice toys, so ready for holy and dark now. I have crazy good options against dark, but little worried about taking down holy. Just got my first dark imperil, so maybe Seymour and Cid Raines can be friends.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Completed the Dissidia dungeons, only 5 MXP eggs? FML I wanted to play with high level Naabat :smith:

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Garland's dark chain does 22 hits? All the other chains do 11, I think. Are they super weak hits, or is a baller relic?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It's technically the same damage total damage as the other chains; each hit is just half strength.

It trades the bonus effect (Quickcast 2 on Tidus, HP Stock 2000 on WoL, ect.) for an extra 11 hits, so you'll be starting your chain bonus 11 hits higher. And since the chain boosts damage every hit, it will actually do a bit more damage then the other physical chains on entry.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
So as I understand ultima weapon nightmare, I want to stack my party with single target physical BSB entries that have a Non-elemental component, correct?

I was thinking OK, Refia, Cloud BSB2, and maybe Sephiroth BSB2, then a healer (probably Ysh). Does that sound workable?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How long do enelement LMs last?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Nihilarian posted:

How long do enelement LMs last?

25 seconds, I believe? A decent length in any rate.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mithross posted:

So as I understand ultima weapon nightmare, I want to stack my party with single target physical BSB entries that have a Non-elemental component, correct?

I was thinking OK, Refia, Cloud BSB2, and maybe Sephiroth BSB2, then a healer (probably Ysh). Does that sound workable?

Do you mean Omega Weapon? Yeah, you could manage with that, probably. I'd assume your layout would be OK/Ref/Cloud/Seph/Ysh, in that case, with Refia and Onion taking care of top orb and Seph soloing bottom.

Just remember that most of its attacks ignore buffs, so Wall (and Shellga) won't help you a bit there. I'd almost suggest running OK as a healer and swapping out Ysh's spot for someone else. Do you have Curilla or Sabin's quasi-medica SSBs? They'd do good there.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 6, 2017

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Fru Fru posted:

I have been using Ovelia's. Is that good enough or should I switch?

I would switch to Yshtola. Her strengths were explained a few posts ago so I won't do that again. Instead I'll post about why I offered Beatrix as a versatile option for a new player.

-High damage
-The sword boosts holy damage improving her damage more
-Initially with low ability uses available physical characters are preferrable since their attack is relevant once abilities are exhausted
-Also capable of some AoE damage with the entry (this is surprisingly relevant)
-Tanks with inbuilt draw fire - greatly reduces incoming damage and forces attacks on her.
-Has the important White Magic 4 access to carry Protectga or Shellga.

I have her carbon copy Agrias come to nearly every fight just to do high damage and cast Protectga. It's way more useful than a higher damage character and no Protectga. Because without Protectga and Shellga you die. Horribly.

You can also make a case for Fujin.

-Also has high damage
-Also does AoE entry
-Also has White Magic 4 access
-Also comes with a weapon that boosts her damage, wind in this case
-She lowers the magical attack and resistance of enemies making them weaker and improving the damage of all of your mages
-Soul Break commands are faster to cast than normal which means she gets to cast more of them gaining more soul break gauge, enabling her to chain soul breaks to save ability uses.

That being said I'd still pick Yshtola as an upgrade

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KataraniSword posted:

Can confirm, I also used Celes BSB2 + Cloud USB to eviscerate the dragon. It honestly seems like the only way to reasonably do the 3-man CM, if you don't have Ayame BSB. Maybe a non-elemental build with Noctis + Cloud USB could manage it (or just Cloud native spamming Omega Drive. Either way.)

For the record, Dark Dragon resists all elements except ice by 80% (so it takes 20% damage from everything) and is only 10% weak to ice. And it has 500k HP. It's a slog.

I did my 3-man CM with Lion/Prishe/Shantotto with Ramza and Rosa along for the ride. Shantotto performed as well as expected. I also packed a double-cast RM on her, knowing that Meltdown would almost certainly do 3x9999. I got some very lucky RNG with two Meltdown doublecasts, and so the Ahriman done died fast. Dragon of course was a bit more of a slog, but Lion and Prishe did the job with non-elemental DPS, and Shantotto switched to her BSB Ice/Lightning command.

I also didn't have to put her into trance mode either. That would have ended things a bit more quickly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

paperwind posted:

I did my 3-man CM with Lion/Prishe/Shantotto with Ramza and Rosa along for the ride. Shantotto performed as well as expected. I also packed a double-cast RM on her, knowing that Meltdown would almost certainly do 3x9999. I got some very lucky RNG with two Meltdown doublecasts, and so the Ahriman done died fast. Dragon of course was a bit more of a slog, but Lion and Prishe did the job with non-elemental DPS, and Shantotto switched to her BSB Ice/Lightning command.

I also didn't have to put her into trance mode either. That would have ended things a bit more quickly.

If you don't have Shan's BSB(/USB) then you almost certainly have to at least lean on Chain Blizzaga; those resistances are ballbusters and my first attempt with Lion/Curilla/Shantotto ended in failure since I don't have Shan dived and she just could *not* output enough damage with just her faithga SSB.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I would switch to Yshtola. Her strengths were explained a few posts ago so I won't do that again. Instead I'll post about why I offered Beatrix as a versatile option for a new player.

-High damage
-The sword boosts holy damage improving her damage more
-Initially with low ability uses available physical characters are preferrable since their attack is relevant once abilities are exhausted
-Also capable of some AoE damage with the entry (this is surprisingly relevant)
-Tanks with inbuilt draw fire - greatly reduces incoming damage and forces attacks on her.
-Has the important White Magic 4 access to carry Protectga or Shellga.

I have her carbon copy Agrias come to nearly every fight just to do high damage and cast Protectga. It's way more useful than a higher damage character and no Protectga. Because without Protectga and Shellga you die. Horribly.

You can also make a case for Fujin.

-Also has high damage
-Also does AoE entry
-Also has White Magic 4 access
-Also comes with a weapon that boosts her damage, wind in this case
-She lowers the magical attack and resistance of enemies making them weaker and improving the damage of all of your mages
-Soul Break commands are faster to cast than normal which means she gets to cast more of them gaining more soul break gauge, enabling her to chain soul breaks to save ability uses.

That being said I'd still pick Yshtola as an upgrade

Indeed, Y'shtola is pretty primo and while she's not perfect for everything she is very good to focus on.

Also yeah, as noted above there's a very good reason why so many people use Knight heavy teams, and it's because being able to slap Proshellga on two of them and free your Healer to carry whatever is very useful, especially when you need to hit non-standard objectives like Slowing the enemy or the like.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'm swapping healers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just unlocked magicites.

I used a giant chunk of eggs and motes on Kimahri of all people since Fire seems to be my easiest target with fully dived Tidus.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah... I pulled and didn't get it :(

DeNA likes throwing it onto fest banners so hopefully you’ll pull it the next time it comes around.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Completed the Dissidia dungeons, only 5 MXP eggs? FML I wanted to play with high level Naabat :smith:

Take her and a healer through the FF13 beginner XP dungeon in the second half. Spam AoE and give her the Fast Learner RM. She'll get to 99 faster than you think.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Take her and a healer through the FF13 beginner XP dungeon in the second half. Spam AoE and give her the Fast Learner RM. She'll get to 99 faster than you think.

For maximum laziness, God Among Men (Orlandeau's RM2) is a good choice to slap on a max-level physical character and bring with her, since as a white mage you probably won't send her out solo. You can autoattack through it then, no problem.

Edit: There are a couple RMs to give you magic AoE autoattacks too, if you'd rather go that route, but Omnicast Fire (the one I usually use) takes a little longer to acquire since it's Black Mage's RM3 and I don't remember who has the others. I think Emperor might have a wind one? Generally God Among Men does more damage except against groups of 4+ anyway, and the groups in there are smaller than that.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 6, 2017

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
AoE attack RMs make orbfests, dailies, and event dungeons such that I don't pay attention at all. This lets me spend more of my time focused on the boss battles.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Yeah, having both God Among Men and Omnicast Fire is superb for daily dungeons. Unless I am also babysitting some low level schmuck I barely have to watch. Definitely get a couple AoE autoattacks eventually even if you only get one now. I'll get a whole list of them when I'm at home again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Welp, time to go fish that RM out of my vault. Thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

wizard on a water slide posted:

As somebody whose first healing BSB was Minwu's, I have absolutely no idea why you'd pick Minwu's unless you just already had every other decent SB on the selection banner. I think the only time I've ever gotten any mileage out of it was the White Magic Nightmares, and to be honest the damage (which is half of what it does, he has a damage command too) is really underwhelming even if you trick him out with full synergy MND gear and a MND buff.

Also man I put off finishing FF6 and this Imperial wave boss is stupider and less fun every single time it comes back

Like uh I did it as soon as I posted that but it's always just this weird exercise in pump priming where either you wipe basically without getting anything done on the first wave or you blow them through at lightning speed if you can get your setup off and Lifesiphon through the first

You say all that but I'm still debating grabbing it just so I have a complete Minwu (until his USB comes out real soon) because he's a series favorite of mine and biases speak louder than logic.

• Locked thread